Ressaldar's O Gauge modelling

Ressaldar

Hi JP

don't worry, as I mentioned above, the dirt is onrolleyes.gif - watch this space.

As for Precision, I have found that with some colours/finishes, there are too many times when the surface stays 'tacky' - even when using their own thinners. Never had any problems when using Railmatch.

regards

Mike

That 40 looks superb. Just been going through some of the Ex Talacre diesels doing a few repairs and maintenance (some quite major work required to the HST power cars and Steve won't touch them if they haven't got chimneys on!). There's definately a gap in the fleet where a class 40 should be! I may have to contact JLTRT later in the year.

JF

Hi Jon and all,

glad that you are being tempted - go for itrolleyes.gif - I hope that the following do not put you off though:

post-6951-12645086696671_thumb.jpg

post-6951-12645087363445_thumb.jpg

post-6951-12645087402972_thumb.jpg

post-6951-12645087441566_thumb.jpg

post-6951-12645087477881_thumb.jpg

post-6951-1264508751497_thumb.jpg

post-6951-12645087550814_thumb.jpg

post-6951-1264508758181_thumb.jpg

post-6951-12645087653085_thumb.jpg

post-6951-12645087686185_thumb.jpg

Hope that you like them - now to start on detailing a Bachmann 03 - the Birkenhead 'Greeny' D2162 - watch this space

regards

Mike

Very tasty. I suppose they got filthy very quickly when working and shedded alongside steam locos. I did a JLTRT 10001 in green with small yellow warning panels, the livery it had immediately prior to withdrawal. It's still pristine at the moment and I haven't yet had the confidence to dirty it up. I may now have to fire up the Iwata! :unsure:

Hi Ian,

Many thanks, I'm not to sure if my friend who I built it for has the same opinion as you. I handed it over last night and he didn't make too much of it other than saying it looked better than when it was 'ex works' when he saw it last week. All of the Club members who saw it last night agreed that it looked the part.

We'll see if any comments are made at this afternoon's running session.

regards

Mike

Hi Ian,

Many thanks, I'm not to sure if my friend who I built it for has the same opinion as you. I handed it over last night and he didn't make too much of it other than saying it looked better than when it was 'ex works' when he saw it last week. All of the Club members who saw it last night agreed that it looked the part.

We'll see if any comments are made at this afternoon's running session.

regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

Don`t despair, one mans idea of weathering is different to another's. He may of wanted it a little more subtle or even dirtier, he should of been more specific.

Being no expert, my only comments would be thus, ............in some photo`s it looks spot on, in one or two others, it looks like you may of just wiped over it with a dirty cloth. Its the lighting, the camera and everything. You just can`t really see on here. Did you make clearances on the windows for where the wipers had travelled ?. Sometimes dirt builds up from the bottom of an edge like silt in a domestic radiator, ie, humped.

Every flippin engine is different my friend !.

Keep up the good work.

Kindest

Ian

Hi Ian,

thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

I'm still getting to grips with the camera as it were, so that probably accounts for the lighting differences etc.

Just for the record, no cloths were used, just the airbrush, flat brushes with varying amounts of thinners then Tamiya weathering blocks applied with cut down artists brushes to give varing degrees of 'stiffness' to the bristles. Tried to give the 'wiped' effect.

regards

Mike

Hi Phil & Rob

many thanks for the thumbs up.

Herewith, some shots taken this afternoon, with it earning it's keep, although I know nothing of the funny coloured stock that it is pullingohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

other than that they are a rake of six Bachmann Mk 1s.

post-6951-12646156053652_thumb.jpg

post-6951-12646156141462_thumb.jpg

post-6951-12646156206729_thumb.jpg

post-6951-12646156267202_thumb.jpg

post-6951-12646156319632_thumb.jpg

post-6951-12646156376848_thumb.jpg

regards

Mike

• RMweb Premium

other than that they are a rake of six Bachmann Mk 1s.

post-6951-12646156376848_thumb.jpg

regards

Mike

Mike, Must be some strange foreign stock that got attached there ;) , the weathering looks very nice.....certainly suits the loco, so when is the sound and smoke going in? :lol:

• 7 months later...

Hi Mike,

I have only just discovered your thread on building a JLTRT class 40 and have read it from start to finish. All I can say is, fantastic work. What a superb job you have done, you must be extremely pleased with the end result.

There seem to be rather a lot of very good and experienced 'builders' on RMWeb (yourself, Brian Daniels et al) who seem to make constructing the JLTRT kits into beautiful mini replicas of the real thing (no pun intended), dare I say it, quite straight forward. Would you recommend the JLTRT kits to people of lesser modelling skill? - ahem! I've been thinking about having a go for a while now (I just need that last push over the edge!).

Many thanks for posting the pics of your workmanship - absolutely stunning and very inspiring.

Regards

Lee

Hi Lee,

many thanks for your flattering comments, to be mentioned in the same sentance as Brian Daniels is praise indeed, but I feel that I have a long way to go to emulate Brian.

As for JLTRT kits, they are straight forward to build, but like a lo t(most some would say) kits, they are sometimes let down by poor instructions. The 40 is the only loco that I have built from the JLTRT stable but Ialso built a pair of GUVs and again, there was something 'lacking' in the instructions. You definately need photographs of your chosen subject to assist where the instructions fall down. The main 'downsides' are 1) the price (but this is partially offset by the 'speed' which you achieve in completing your model - if that is what you want) and on a mode personal note, having to use superglue - something that I react to very quickly, and trying out alternatives might be a costly mistake.

If you are happy with your soldering skills then stick with brass and nickel silver - I have just purchased an MMP 08 kit and whilst it looks daunting by having so much detail to build up, I shall enjoy taking my time making it, especially as I am retired and have the time. I built an MOK Southern Q1 last year - a highly detailed kit, very similar to the 08 in that department and thoroughly enjoyed it - I've now got another one to build for a friend - before I start the 08.

post-6951-063871900 1285233980_thumb.jpg

post-6951-064519200 1285233985_thumb.jpg

post-6951-090744400 1285233986_thumb.jpg

post-6951-068367000 1285233885_thumb.jpg

post-6951-047815600 1285233888_thumb.jpg

best of luck with your choice of construction

regards

Mike

post-6951-027936700 1285234277_thumb.jpg

Hi Lee,

many thanks for your flattering comments, to be mentioned in the same sentance as Brian Daniels is praise indeed, but I feel that I have a long way to go to emulate Brian.

Stop it will you I am blushing now :blush: It's the kits that make the models "look like the real thing" Must thank Pete Waterman

:good_mini:

Anyway Lee I would go for one as you know you want to. If you get stuck, pun intended!, there are plenty of us here to help. And at JLTRT they are at the end of the phone for advice if needed.

Just out of interest what are you tempted with Lee?

Archived