Hawthorn Dene

Les1952

11 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

Screw it to the door frame, have two doors.

manna

If you look back to the pics in the Dec 2019 post you'll find there isn't room even to do that.  The bench with NO PLACE on it abuts one door, and there is stuff against the wall abutting the other.  What I really need is a bigger shed...

Les

• Funny 1

I've now had confirmation that all of Hawthorn Dene's remaining shows are now cancelled.

The layout is therefore officially for sale.

If anyone knows a person interested please let me know.  It is a 10 feet by 2 feet 9 N-gauge exhibition layout, DCC, with circuit breakers but no other controllers.  Has own legs and front cloth but no lighting rig.  Stock not included but may sell most of the hopper wagons and the NCB locos as a separate lot.

All the very best

les

• 2 months later...

1158640745_packedlayout.JPG.2f78ab17edba64d08ea7048822bd00d8.JPG

Got HD back onto the floor ready to erect it stage by stage to make the user manual.  First pic in the manual after the title pic will be this one of the end packed up.  In this form the layout is 61 inches by 33 inches by 24 inches and b-heavy!

Next was turning it onto its front to do the electrics.  Four extremely large spiders had to be evicted.  I wonder how many are hiding on the scenic side....

Sale advert will appear in the September N Gauge Society Journal.  A snip at £900 with a Powercab system and hand throttle (or £750 without the cab and throttle)

Les

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

A video from Hawthorn Dene's trip to Ross on Wye which I thought was too good not to include. 

I've got about half-way through the setting-up guide.

Les

Edited as I linked to the wrong video....

Edited by Les1952
linked to wrong video.
  • Like 4

Found this on You Tube.

Hawthorn Dene is about 9 mins in- with trains actually running well for someone else's video...  Operators on that day (apart from me) Geoff warren, Bob Lockey and robin Fox.

No work done on the user guide today- I've been testing locos that haven't run for 6 months.  One box (of five) done.  the only casualty so far is Peckett No.1, which seems to have a meshing problem.  I'll put it on the list for LP Rails (Lee Palmer) to look at.

Les

• Like 1

I've found another on YouTube- filmed at Warley last year.

Much better photography than I can manage.  

What surprises me is that in the comments someone asked if it was Marklin HO and the guy who filmed it thought it was Hornby OO.

Les

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Barry O said:

Nice trip away for us "spotters"! Or have we been removed prior to sale?

Baz

You are still there, but since you also appear on Rise Park, NO PLACE and Croft Spa you might be getting a split personality about it.  I'm now looking for another pack of Farish trainspotters to give you a German trainspotting holiday on Bregenbach....

The only thing changed is the connection underneath, which now goes to a ptp socket and wall wart psu rather than to a smart booster- as a private layout a Powercab should be able to cope with the load- in any case a cab is a lot cheaper to replace than £200 for a Smart Booster...  I included one Powercab and the little hand throttle with the layout, together with the curtain (which doesn't fit any of the other layouts).  I didn't include the lighting bar which is shared with Croft Spa, as is the Smart Booster.

Next job is to thin out the trains a little- I don't need 84 21 ton hoppers for Croft Spa....  For that matter the 4 Hunslet diesels will be redundant before they arrive, though two can be used as a delivery movement on Croft Spa and a third one will be Werklok 5 on Bregenbach- Werklok 4 is one of the 04 diesels.

Les

Edited by Les1952
tryping eras
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thinking about it the next layout after Bregenbach might be another North East based one- there are plenty of odd small places to the West of Darlington that neither the NER nor the S&DR got to- I still fancy doing Seldomseen.

Les

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Barry O said:

It was on the line from potto....

Baz

I've been through the village scouting for a treasure hunt car rally- and looking for Prestons yard in Potto to see if their traction engine was present.  Despite Potto being a bit of a hamlet i didn't find Prestons yard.

20200930_185545.jpg.2887d41630be7c776a6465e7e439bfd4.jpg

Look who arrived today ready for their German holiday on the new layout...

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Hawthorn Dene is now loaded in the car ready for an early start tomorrow morning...

20200930_111735.jpg.f69f13d85905dbab0dbdf79baa469988.jpg

I've opened an account with the Dartford crossing and prepaid the toll.  Got plenty of warm clothing so once the layout is set up in its new home in Sheppey we can go for a walk along the Marine Parade (I think that's the name of the instrument....)

Les

• Friendly/supportive 2

A nice easy trip down to the Isle of Sheppey with the layout, which now has pride of place in its new owner's lounge.

20201001_150151.jpg.52da456f1ef46f925418082d23d7f398.jpg

Somewhere in this coastal town Hawthorn Dene is now keeping its new owner happy, or possibly confused as I forgot to include a Powercab manual (now posted....)

20201001_144008.jpg.09bc849a6e86e95383a18ca15b63f58d.jpg

The layout can almost see Essex, this being probably the best view of Southend, i.e. from a distance....

An overnight stay in the Holiday Inn at Sittingbourne then a wet trip back through Kent and Essex until we ran mostly out of the rain at Cambridge and into totally dry weather by Peterbrough.

Now to vacuum the workshop floor then add strengtheners to the corners of Bregenbach's baseboards (see that thread) and get on building again.  Some of the money will be spent on a new Powercab and a secondhand Smart Booster as a spare.  I'll also dispose of some of the rolling stock from HD that doesn't fit with Croft Spa, or with the next UK outline layout whenever that is.

The latter is provisionally called CRACKPOT.....

Les

• Like 2