Hawthorn Dene

Les1952

Very many thanks, gents, for the kind words. It helps having a cabinet maker construct the boards for me, though I did design them. WD is still too clean for a North Eastern one but will get its turn to be weathered as soon as it gets out of warranty. In the mean time it is finally behaving itself on trackwork.

Saturday again....

Meatloaf and Status Quo still keeping vistors at bay so I can get on undisturbed......

By 11am yesterday the final siding was laid in the fiddleyard, and in the afternoon I got the protective L-shaped plastic strip on the side. Now I can run locos through the clockwise exit fan at speed without having to worry about them going off over the board edge if they derail.

However, my right wrist is letting me know I've seriously overdone it this week, and is now in its splint for a coule of days, so I'm doing no building at all next week and concentrating on soak testing the main line circuit with any locos that might run on it. I've already found one fishplate that was under the rail it was supposed to be holding in place (only one so far :scratchhead: ). I'll also make sure everything that is going to Warley with Stamford East gets a good run.

post-13358-0-77982600-1353190334_thumb.jpg

First up is the 4-car DMU which now has corridoor connections. I tried tissue paper connectors and couldn't get them to behave, so these are made of layers of felt. Not so forgiving but I've also labelled each car on the underside to show what it should be coupled to at each end. It works OK with the power car pulling (fine for Hawthorn Dene). I've not yet tried it propelling, which it will need to do 50% of the time at Warley. One car is still to do.

post-13358-0-14935600-1353190325_thumb.jpg

This one has lurked in the bottom of the loco box for some time. Originally I think it came from eBay, though it might have been a toyfair. It is a D49 on a Poole-built Farish Midland Compound chassis. It got put aside on acquisition as a lousy runner- due to having traction tyres and tender pickups that didn't pick up current. It originally had a Langley? tender top superglued to a Farish chassis, and set too far back. I thought originally the body was a shortened Langley B1 but now I'm not sure. it appears to be all one piece and is held to the chjassis with blu-tack (and sitting slightly too far back at the moment).

So far I've taken off the original tender and failed totally to get to the pickup strips to bend them to touch the wheels. Plan B was then to see if I had a better tender. This one is off a Dapol B1 bought for £10 at Dapol's open day as a non-runner for spares. Its motor has already gone to another loco. I've run the original tender pickup wire to one side of the tender pickups and a new wire from the drawbar to the other side- not easy as there isn't a lot of wire from the pickups to the former motor. The drawbar also now has a joggle in it to get the height of the tender front down so it has its wheels on the rails. The tender has been filled with lead strip to keep it on the track.

Currently it is on test and will toddle round the layout with eight mark 1s in tow with no pickup problems. I've got to check that the nameplates are correct for one of the Hunts of the final batch that DIDN'T give up its 4200 gallon flush-sided tender to a V2, and then repaint it all black and line it. I'm hoping it is one of the eight that got late crests (lion facing forwards both sides and never corrected). Its duties will be Middlesbrough to Newcastle semi-fasts.

Time for bed...

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

You're making good progress there Les. Sorry to hear that your wrist is playing up again though. Have you got much left to do on the front for the main loops?

Many thanks- it is a recurring problem, repetitive strain injury. Carpal tunnel part sorted out leaving something that is either tennis elbow or arthritis, and they're not entirely sure which (probably some of each). A bit of rest should see it well before the next examining season and all the heavy work on HDC is done for now.

All trackwork on the main line part is complete. There are no points out front on the lower part. I'll ballast it this side of Christmas, a boring task but one with low physical stress.

The colliery railway isn't started, and will in any case not be done until I've decided what sort of track I'm using. I want it to run well and look grotty, with wagons lurching about just as in the real thing. This probably means some form of setrack laid in short sections with lifts and angles at the rail joints, then infilled with colliery grot and weeds. I'm thinking of Tomix finetrack at the moment as it has a 6.5 inch curve available. I've got a circle of this ordered and have some straights and a power clip left over from the tramway on Furtwangen Ost. I'll do some extensive testing of this before I make a final decision. There is also an electric 3-way point with the motors embedded in the ballast, which sounds like a good handy item.

If I take the Tomix route I'll need to talk nicely to Heiko at Modellbahn Union and see if I can get a decent price on an order.

The backscene can't be done until the colliery line is laid as there are three holes to cut with positions determined by the exact route of the colliery line.

All the best.

Les

First a pic and then a video.....

I'm still soak testing the roundy-roundy and realising just how many crappo runners I still have. The result is I'm spending a lot of time fettling engines.

First the pic.

post-13358-0-25297200-1353438386_thumb.jpg

The edge of the fiddle yard showing the plastic edge strip. It may not look much but it is high enough to stop things diving onto the floor when they come off the track.

The video shows a pair of test trains, the clockwise one with 92050 and the anticlockwise with the WD. Both have had surgery to improve running as follows-

92050 First batch Dapol 9F. Has done two exhibitions on Moorcock Junction (and is the one reviewed yonks ago in the N-Gauge Journal). However it has been track sensitive. It has had the free centring spring from Dapol but that didn't cure it. Has now had a pony wheelset from a weathered 9F and runs perfectly. The weathered 9F (which is the one shown on Gresby derailed) got the wheelset from 92050 and also runs perfectly- I don't know why.....

WD. Its tribulations I described here on 17th November. Suffice to say one of my 3MT tanks has also shed its pony truck spring and runs better without it.

I'm trying to work out why certain of my new-type Farish Mark1s don't stay coupled- eithetr to locos or each other. So far it seems that some have a banana-shaped rapido on the end and others don't. More investigation needed here....

Time flies.

Les

• Like 2

Update on the Hunt.

So far it has shed its valve gear (rebuilt), lost a cab step (found and ready to stick back) then lost its bogie which was held on with double-sided tape! The latter is now superglued back onto its support. The piece de resistance was for the two halves of the motor to spring apart at the front as the securing screw wasn't long enough! Something tells me this loco doesn't want to be fettled.

All that lot has been repaired and the tender top has been sprayed black. It is running well at last (until something else drops off). However the body is BRASS, so I've no idea of its origin at all.

As tom identity it has plates for "The Middleton" which had a raved-out tender to start with and may have ended up with an NER one. There are only two other sets of plates available in N so its new identity will be 62758 THE CATTISTOCK as the only one available with the right tender. This one never got the late BR crest but could have worked Leeds-Harrogate-Stockton-Sunderland semifasts as it was a Starbeck engine.

Next is to souce plates and get the number off the cab ready to start lining it out.

Oh joy.........

Les

Would that Hunt be an old GEM J39 kit with some extra bits? They're a lot of brass with a white metal boiler...

Possibly, except it has outside steampipes and the splashers look as if they've always been for a 4-4-0.....

I've also resurrected another eBay purchase, a V3 2-6-2T on a minitrix chassis. With a strip down the loco is now running well, if noisily. Runs through the fiddle yard at passenger train speeds but stalls on the exit points.

All the very best

Les

Six Inches- not.....

The Tomix 177mm radius curves arrived today and have been tested with a small oval set up. Result----

1. The pannier goes round, as do Farish J94 and J52/J50 kits on farish chassis.

2. Hopper wagons buffer lock, as do the locos if they have to pull anything.

So- solution to ends is that the curves on the colliery line will be 9" Peco Setrack. Points may yet be Tomix if I can get satisfactory joints between the two track types. The R177 curves will go on the next tramway layout whenever it is built (or on eBay.....)

Time to play again......

Les

Revised Trackplan

Having looked at the alternatives I've made the following decisions regarding the colliery

• To use Peco track with 9" setrack at the ends.
  • Because the colliery board is inaccessible from below to use GEM Mercontrol to switch the pointwork.
  • This in turn will mean all colliery pointwork has to be on the colliery board.
  • As I already have a supply of Code 80 medium radius points left over from an earlier layout the colliery will be laid in Code 80 Streamline, though a lot of this will be buried up to rail level.
  • To continue the screening roads through the backscene.

post-13358-0-90227500-1354304051_thumb.jpg

The landsale depot will be at a lower level than the colliery with the track extending onto the drops from the colliery. The shed building will be on the underbridge board. The track from the exchange sidings will weave across the underbridge board.

This is now laid in apart from the run onto the top of the landsale drops. Hopefully I'll have the wire droppers done tomorrow and can start testing.

On order at the moment are

• tag strips to solder the droppers to
  • SCART sockets for the interboard connections.

I'm expecting these early next week. Testing pics to follow.

Les

• Like 1

Pics as promised

Music today by the Shadows and Status Quo- Tthe latter seems yesterday to have persuaded one of the hens in the run behind the workshop to lay her first egg! It didn't have a repeat effect today.......

The colliery line runs- and after fettling one end so it didn't derail hoppers being pulled by the 0-4-0T or the J94, both of which have very short Rapidos, all of the locos intended for it run well.

Herewith as promised a set of pictures that only really show uneven track and trains standing on the sites of bits yet to appear.

post-13358-0-68801000-1354385726_thumb.jpg

The colliery fiddle yard- the loop is long enough to pass two eight-wagon trains. In practice six looks enough. The maroon 0-4-0ST is another Peco kit on Arnold chassis, retrieved from the "will it ever run?" box.

post-13358-0-03104900-1354385711_thumb.jpg

Looking along the meandering line with a train of empties coming from the direction where the exchange sidings are offstage.

post-13358-0-00795300-1354385743_thumb.jpg

The dead end at the shed road with the Hunslet 0-4-0T and another oddity from the box. This one is a Somerset & Dorset liveried saddletank, which looks enough like a Beyer Peacock to get a bit of treatment and possibly a better motor, though it is a runner. The Hunslet runs the opposite way to everything else with no obvious way of correcting it.

post-13358-0-91926000-1354385733_thumb.jpg

The maroon 0-4-0ST shunts the site of the screens. The backscene will curve round over the sidings leaving a little over a wagon length for adding fulls to push out for collection. There will be a pair of Dapol magnets set into the track as soon as I have enough of the Mark4 screens made to work out exactly where.

post-13358-0-19352100-1354385757_thumb.jpg

The Geisl austerity passes empties over the weighbridge site- the little building behind is going to be the weigh house. I made this at Leamington show a few years ago and it has been waiting a job ever since. The weigh plate will hide the third Dapol magnet.

The Mercontrol bits arrived this morning and I've started to lay the wire in tube for the first point, the left hand end of the main loop (above the drops on the plan). I had left a space in the sleepers on the shed road for the PTFE tube to pass through. The next pair (shed entry and screens turnout from the running line) will be difficult as there isn't a logical path or really enough space for a 90 degree crank.

Time to sit in front of the telly and think of a solution (or not).

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 3

First colliery points connected

I've thought about it overnight and realised that since there isn't enough space to turn the wires through 90 degrees in front of the backscene a little lateral thinking is required. The solution is to take them under the backscene and run them between the tracks of the high level fiddle sidings. I've raised the track of this which runs closest to the backscene by 1.5mm and supported that with balsa.

post-13358-0-06813800-1354480764_thumb.jpg

The photo shows it in all its gory detail. The power connections to the track between the points are temporary and will be re-done in a tidier manner before ballasting. The balsa under the fiddle yard track is shaped to support the curve of the Mercontrol wire. The track pins are temporary while the glue holds- the original epoxy (black) didn't stick to the PTFE so I've used an impact adhesive. I'm also adding staples at intervals, pushed in to just hold the mercontrol in place without pinching it.

Messy at the moment but a lot will be under the scenery and the rest behind the backscene. The wire does operate the points firmly, tomorrow's job is adding the levers to these three and starting the others.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Tuesday - still doing ugly bits...

Music yesterday and today by Russ Conway (good at repelling visitors), Slade (ditto) and Eliza Doolittle (NOT good at repelling visitors.........)

I've got the three points that I'd started connected to their levers and working. Run out of staples for the heavy gun so the fourth point has had its operating wire threaded through a similar route. As a result there are now four levers close together to the right of the screen feed tracks. These are all tested and working and the levers labelled. The other two points will have their levers to the left of the screen feed tracks. The switches for the colliery railway sections (probably only four needed) will be mounted in a very small box nearby. .

post-13358-0-54762800-1354653696_thumb.jpg

This is one of the pair on Furtwangen Ost. Wires are brought in underneath and soldered to a tag board beneath the baseboard.

All of this lot is within reach of the down (Northbound) line operator. This means if only two operators are available there will be a busy one and a quieter one who can field punter questions.

Four tag bards have arrived from Brimal in Hartlepool and I'm expecting the SCART sockets for the inter-board wiring very shortly. The main line has had masking tape put along its sides ready for ballasting- this next task is slightly more exciting than waiting for glue to dry. No work tomorrow, Christmas shopping.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Eight days onwards....

I took the layout back to Trevor's yesterday and we put on the backscene and the raised sides and ends. The lids for the ends and the extra cross-bracing to keep it steady can wait until the spring. By that time the wiring will have been finished and the basic contours applied and coloured.

Today back in the workshop- no calls and no visitors. I'd have said it was quiet but I was repelling them with Meatloaf and Status Quo at goodly volume (is there any other way to play Status Quo?)

Much of the day spent on wiring up the first scart connector on the colliery board. This now has 20 of the 21 pins connected back to the tag strip behind it. Tomorrow I have to wire the same 20 pins from the second scart socket to the tag strip on the underbridge board. At that point I should be able to test that the droppers I'd already done now work through the interboard connection.

Connection goes tag strip (to gather wires) to scart socket then by scart lead (plugged into both boards) to scart socket then to tag strip (to distribute the wires again. The scart sockets are a little fragile in the tab department. I wrecked the first one taking too long to solder a wire to it. Once in place under the boards they are protected- it is just soldering to them that is a bit hair raising.......

post-13358-0-09198300-1355342228_thumb.jpg

The colliery board showing the backscene in place- there is a curve to fit into the corner using card. I've given it a rough coat of not-quite-white from a tester pot to seal the wood. There will be a Gaugemaster photographic backscene eventually- I'll put a piece of corrugated card next to the bottom to leave a slot for it to go into. Holes are two low ones for the wagon feed into the screens and a taller narrow one for the colliery line. The main line is in deep cutting here- no tunnel or bridge this end, I'll continue the cutting sides beyond the backscene.

As the backscene is only 5 inches high (high enough for a 6-foot tall punter not to be able to see most of the fiddle yard given that the layout datum is 3'9 off the floor) it does restrict the height of the buildings a bit. If the colliery headstock doesn't materialise I'm going to just leave the site as a washery and screens handling household coal for a larger pit (Easington or Hawthorn Combined Mine) just up the line.

post-13358-0-90397900-1355343223_thumb.jpg

Another view of the underbridge. I've been thinking about the brickwork for this. The general shape is the same as the Peco double-track tunnel mouth. I'm wondering if I can use this for the top of the arch both sides, cutting the parapet off one and sticking it back-to-back on the other side to make the intact side of the prototype bridge. As the things are cheap I'll look out for one and try it- a case for kitbashing to solve the difficult parts of a build.

You can tell Mr Simon inherited his craft skills from his mum......

All the very best

Les

• Like 2

Another pair of vids.

two new videos to show the effect of the backscene, even though not a lot is finished.

First one with the camera at track level has an RCTS special (coaches have boards apart from the pullman and loco has an RCTS headboard) behind a hymek - definitely a rule 1 train as an excuse to keep my pair of hymeks. Passing it is a train of coal fulls behind J27 65860.

Moving the camera into the well for the underbridge to get the lens nearer to track level, the WD on coal empties passes the J39/3 on a short heavy oil train (heavy oil therefore no barrier wagons)

Hope these work.

Les

Edited by Les1952

Morning Les,

Glad to see you're still progressing there. I like the simplicity of the mainline at the front, with shunting interest provided separately.

Very many thanks. The idea is that for exhibition use it is a roundy-roundy mainly with the shunting as a sideline. At home what happens will depend on the mood. I've spent much of today in the workshop with a pair of trains just running round while I worked on the Hunt and one or two other items on the workbench.

Having said that I made a mistake when wiring up the new temporary connections on the colliery line (so can't play with the shunting aspect at the moment)- I've wired in a direct short instead of a link. I'm not taking the boards apart again until after Christmas- Mr Simon can help me lift the colliery board onto the workbench while he is back for the holidays. In the mean time I'll ballast the part of the colliery line on the underbridge board. There are no more droppers to install on this bit and I know it works.

I'm also going to have to do some more eBay trading. I've got more passenger engines than I need and not enough reliable goods power.

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952

Hi Les,

Liking the layout so far. I remember that D49 model on ebay and wondered who ended up winning it (it went above my budget at the time!). If you're interested, my thoughts would be that the boiler and cab are from a white metal J39 kit (I would assume BHE as the GEM one has an etched cab). The D49 shared the boiler with the J39 as a cost cutting measure by the LNER so it would make sense that this would have been the starting point for your model.

I've got a 4P chassis to use for my own D49 and may likely use a spare B17 tender (including drive) once I've finished my original condition Sandringham loco. My own loco will eventually be fitted out with the cylinders and valve gear from a redundant V2 which actually is quite passable for one of the Shires. I've also got some spare Fleischmann wheels which are about a scale 6'8 which I intend to fit - although I understand that earlier Farish locos had the wheel moulded directly onto the axle and that this may present some problems removing the drive gear...

Hi Les,

Liking the layout so far. I remember that D49 model on ebay and wondered who ended up winning it (it went above my budget at the time!). If you're interested, my thoughts would be that the boiler and cab are from a white metal J39 kit (I would assume BHE as the GEM one has an etched cab). The D49 shared the boiler with the J39 as a cost cutting measure by the LNER so it would make sense that this would have been the starting point for your model.

I've got a 4P chassis to use for my own D49 and may likely use a spare B17 tender (including drive) once I've finished my original condition Sandringham loco. My own loco will eventually be fitted out with the cylinders and valve gear from a redundant V2 which actually is quite passable for one of the Shires. I've also got some spare Fleischmann wheels which are about a scale 6'8 which I intend to fit - although I understand that earlier Farish locos had the wheel moulded directly onto the axle and that this may present some problems removing the drive gear...

Many thanks, Steve.

You definitely missed out on a bundle of fun plate of dingoes kidneys with this particular D49- it spent a lot of time in the "too hard to deal with" box before surfacing while I was waiting bits for HDC. I suspect I only realised that I had a workable solution when it occurred to me that the tub of Dapol B1 bits probably had something useable lurking inside it- there's certainly enough bits of NQP B1 sitting in there.... I've now stripped one cab side down to bare metal, and it is quite grim- I suspect I'll just spray and hope. A better way of holding the body on than the present blu-tack still hasn't occurred to me, either. Mr Simon might yet have ideas when he sees it at the weekend. No doubt he'll have something caustic to say about it. I'll ignore the extra valve gear bits that a Hunt had- the rest of the loco looks OK running - and it now runs well. Lined and weatherd it will pass normal inspection on a semi-fast train.

Sod's law will dictate it just gets into service and Dapol Dave will decide he has enough bits in his armoury to make one r-t-r.

Little progress on the layout this week so far- a short section of the upper line has had a first ballasting, and I've begun sticking down ceiling tiles as risers where the coal drops are to be and made a rough foundation for the engine shed- I'll try to remember to put up a pic of that as it si a little better looking than anything else that is progressing.

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952

Slightly out of focus-

Describes how I was feeling early in the week having seen Status Quo live on Sunday evening- the ears stopped ringing on Tuesday. Also slightly out of focus this--

post-13358-0-63147200-1356017548_thumb.jpg

The ballasting has now extended as far as the shed, I took this just before starting the second spasm. The shed has to sit on a base of balsa to give enough headroom to actually get a loco inside. I've not yet decided whether to wire up the shed line on this baseboard or not. There is a large heap of ash etc to go between the shed and the running line here, and I'm going to put an egg-ended boiler somewhere near as a water tower, with a very rickety platform as a coaling stage. No pit, sheds this size often didn't have them.

Meanwhile sticking ceiling tiles down as risers continues- getting an dhesive that sticks expanded polystyrene to expanded polystyrene is proving a nightmare- even polystyrene cenemt only sticks it occasionally............

Time to warm hands and do some more.

Les

The dead end at the shed road with the Hunslet 0-4-0T and another oddity from the box. This one is a Somerset & Dorset liveried saddletank, which looks enough like a Beyer Peacock to get a bit of treatment and possibly a better motor, though it is a runner. The Hunslet runs the opposite way to everything else with no obvious way of correcting it.

Les

If you talking about the B4 sidetank, it could be worth unclipping the bodyshell and rotating the motor to it on its otherside. The trouble with the Arnold chassis is they have the habit of shedding gear teeth, so handle with care.

Paul A.