West Kirby Town: narrow gauge may be coming to town.

Dmudriver

On 01/11/2020 at 17:47, Dmudriver said:

Hi all.

Well, the G0G virtual show has been and gone and, as I indicated a few weeks ago, I produced 3 videos of WKT for it.

They were published yesterday, so here are the links to them.  The first is a walk-around of the layout - here:

The second is a 40 minute video of a weekday's operations.  I hesitate to say "normal" as I don't normally have a DMU break down and a subsequent drag!!  There's also a bit of parallel running in there, too, plus a visiting diesel loco complete with working windscreen wipers!!

And finally, an example of a summer weekend's operations which includes 2 steam hauled (and pushed!) trains:

I hope you enjoy them.

Rod

Excellent Rod, really enjoyed the Videos.:good:

• Thanks 1

Very enjoyable videos.  Well done!

A suggestion for the scenic break to the fiddleyard, why not model it as the footbridge at Hoylake?  As the run is compressed, you don't need to model the signal box and level crossing too, however that might look nice!

• Like 1

On 03/11/2020 at 18:14, Hroth said:

A suggestion for the scenic break to the fiddleyard, why not model it as the footbridge at Hoylake?  As the run is compressed, you don't need to model the signal box and level crossing too, however that might look nice!

Good thought, Hroth!  However, what I was thinking of is the bridge at Meols station, looking from the West Kirby direction.  You've got the road bridge and, at the back of it, the enclosed footbridge which would add height to the break. 

For the entry into the shed from the outside - or country section - I'm thinking of hiding it with the footbridge over the Joint line, which is now in, I think, Ashton Park.  This one, anyway:

580775559_WK-AshtonPark2.jpg.aa42f0b34d3bbe3e644210f4d5437b93.jpg1346604261_WK-AshtonPark1.jpg.7e78030b1a9bff588338097eacc4989e.jpg

It's just a bit different - but still from the area!!

Rod

On 03/11/2020 at 18:44, jcarta said:

Love the wipers on the Class 24

Hi Jim.

Not mine, I'm afraid.  The loco belongs to Dave Hampson and he did the wipers.  He also did the disappearing driver in the Class 128 - see earlier in the thread.

We had the loco on the layout because he did the driving while I did the filming!!

Rod

• Like 2

On 04/11/2020 at 07:36, billy_anorak59 said:

and congrats on 100 pages too!!

Thanks, billy_anorak59, I hadn't noticed!!  100 pages in 8.5 years - is that good or bad?   Depends how you measure it I suppose!!!  But when I look back at the early pics, I've not done too bad with the layout!!  Quite happy with my progress!

Rod

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

Good thought, Hroth!  However, what I was thinking of is the bridge at Meols station, looking from the West Kirby direction.  You've got the road bridge and, at the back of it, the enclosed footbridge which would add height to the break. 

For the entry into the shed from the outside - or country section - I'm thinking of hiding it with the footbridge over the Joint line, which is now in, I think, Ashton Park.  This one, anyway:

580775559_WK-AshtonPark2.jpg.aa42f0b34d3bbe3e644210f4d5437b93.jpg1346604261_WK-AshtonPark1.jpg.7e78030b1a9bff588338097eacc4989e.jpg

It's just a bit different - but still from the area!!

Rod

I see what you mean but the approach to the fiddleyard reminds me of the municipal golfcourse before you get to Hoylake, rather than the semi-abandoned market gardens and Rycroft Road as you approach Meols...

As for the footbridge across the Joint, connecting the upper and lower parts of Ashton Park, its not visually exciting!

Looking at the lower picture, there are some steps in the distance. After WW1 a decommissioned MkIV tank was placed there for some reason.  It wasn't looked after (who would want a reminder of the carnage of the Western Front in their public park?) and eventually taken away for scrap in the early 30s.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I've surfaced again!!   I'm going through one of those spells where I seem to have lost my modelling mojo!!   I put it down to the intense work to get the layout ready for the virtual show and doing the videos!!  It must have exhausted me!!

However, whilst I've not done much, my modelling brain has not gone into hibernation - I've bought one of these:

1349278677_Screenshot(42).png.accddf512ca1706779813bff57bc2a1f.png

Yes, it's 00!!  But my second interest, after blue/grey diesels. is the LNWR - being brought up in the south end of Liverpool and trainspotting in that area, there was loads of LNWR infrastructure: and so was born my interest in the LNWR.   As I said at the beginning of this thread (over 8.5 years ago) I had quite a large collection of 0 gauge LNWR locos and stock as well as the blue/grey diesels: it was a difficult decision to choose which collection to sell to fund the new shed and garden rebuild but the LNWR lost out.  I've never lost my interest, though: I saw this model when it first came out and was tempted - I have got some 4mm stuff still (including track and kit-built GEM locos and Ratio coaches and I've even got some kits left - and that's as well as some blue diesel stuff!!)).  However, realising this has been discontinued and was being knocked down in price, I took the plunge - and it's so easy to pay via Paypal!!  (Little opportunity to stop and say "should I really?"!!)  And then I saw this is coming out, too:

937183597_Screenshot(41).png.b4b14a0038cffea3e685c56883f3e1e0.png

But no, I haven't preordered one yet!! But never say never!!  It does look and sound good (from the description).  And also the Coal Tank and Jumbo are what I suppose are my favourite LNWR locos.

Anyway, back to 7mm scale ......... I've been looking at 31.5mm pointwork because the videos I did for the virtual show do show up the deficiencies in the pointwork (if you know what you're looking for, that is!!).  As I've said before, a scale 10mph speed limit means they're not too obvious in running - but I know they're there.  However, I've decided that, rather than replace them all, I'll try and do some remedial work.  So, once I've done the new fencing alongside the fire station area I'll get to work on them.

Even though the weather isn't conducive to being out in the shed, if I put the heater on in advance it does get rather pleasant so there's no excuse not to get back into the swing of things really.  And if I turn the radio up loud enough it drowns out the sound of the rain drumming on the roof!!

More soon.

Rod.

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 6

• Dmudriver changed the title to West Kirby Town.
12 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

I see you lived south L/pool which part I was Mossely Hill.

Hi Barnaby.   Allerton - off Mather Avenue, not far from the police training college.  Did a fair bit of trainspotting at West Allerton after school.

Rod

• Like 2

Yeah me too.  I did the station at the bottom of Mossley Hill where Rose lane started.  I used to go to sleep listening to the coal trains clunking while shunting the coal yard there.

I used to play football at Liverpool University sports ground which is near the Police ground.  It was our home ground as I worked at the University after leaving school.

Best 

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

However, whilst I've not done much, my modelling brain has not gone into hibernation - I've bought one of these:

1349278677_Screenshot(42).png.accddf512ca1706779813bff57bc2a1f.png

Yes, it's 00!! 

Thats a slippery slope!!!

Which the brakes of a Coal Tank won't prevent you from descending at greater speed...

A rake of Hattons Generic 6 wheeler coaches in LNWR livery would go rather nicely with it!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=879

They'd go nicely with the Precedent too...

Look at suggestions 5 and 6 in the formations sheet.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=867

:jester: or even :crazy:

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

Hi Barnaby.   Allerton - off Mather Avenue, not far from the police training college.  Did a fair bit of trainspotting at West Allerton after school.

Rod

Hope you don't mind me butting in but I also lived off Mather Ave, near where it crossed Greenhill Rd. from '63 to '75.  I didn't spot at Mossley Hill or West Allerton very often as my only railway enthusiast schoolpal hung around Mersey Rd. station (CLC) so I tended to cycle down there or to Speke Jc. shed. As B.R. steam faded I got more into model engineering and my Dad and I ran our live steam loco on the track in Calderstones Park opposite Quarry Bank school.  Small world eh?

Cheers,

Ray.

• Like 2

On 01/11/2020 at 17:47, Dmudriver said:

Hi all.

Well, the G0G virtual show has been and gone and, as I indicated a few weeks ago, I produced 3 videos of WKT for it.

They were published yesterday, so here are the links to them.  The first is a walk-around of the layout - here:

The second is a 40 minute video of a weekday's operations.  I hesitate to say "normal" as I don't normally have a DMU break down and a subsequent drag!!  There's also a bit of parallel running in there, too, plus a visiting diesel loco complete with working windscreen wipers!!

And finally, an example of a summer weekend's operations which includes 2 steam hauled (and pushed!) trains:

I hope you enjoy them.

Rod

Thoroughly enjoyed all three of these, thank you for posting.

A question if I may. On the last of the three films right at the end the fuel tank is sat on top of the DMU with the 25 shut down in the centre road. How does the fuel tank end up on the right end of the 25 for its trip back?

Thanks.

Hello Marshall5 Ray I too used to spot at that station too in fact a little way along the track towards Garston is a signal box which a mate worked.  We used to collect him a chip supper on our way from the pub to him to play cards and ring the bells for the up and down workings, such fun.  We were in our late teens to early 20's at that time, all those years ago.

My school used to play football in Calders, we had to walk all the way there, then play for 60 to 90 mins, put all the kit away and then walk back to school.

As you say small world eh?   Errr just worked my dates out when I was down there and it was around '63 to '72 so we probably passed one another by. 

Regards

Edited by Barnaby
add dates
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Friends of my mother used to live on Woolton Road, the bit between Mather Avenue and Longcroft Avenue, and my grandmother lived on the other end of Queens Drive near Rice Lane.  Apart from that, we never got to go anywhere near the railways... 

• Like 1

On 21/11/2020 at 18:41, Simond said:

Does this all add weight to the hypothesis that it isn’t a finished model railway until the builder decides (s)he wants something different?

Never heard that one before, Simon - but it's interesting!!  But it's also got me thinking that subconsciously maybe I'm looking at the G0G virtual show as the pinnacle of my ambition?  A stay-at-home version of building an exhibition layout that eventually appears at Telford?    Hhmmmm, maybe.  However, I know it's not finished although I can do all the operating moves I want - and can think of!!  I only came up with the DMU drag shortly before I did the filming!!

I think, though, that once we've got on top of this virus and restrictions start easing I'll be able to invite friends round for operating sessions and that will rekindle the interest.

On the other hand ....... maybe go back to 0 gauge LNWR?    :stop:  :nono:  

At least all this keeps the brain active - even if the body isn't as active as it should be!!  (I'll be glad when gyms can open again - and after I've had my vaccine - eventually!)

Rod

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

Thoroughly enjoyed all three of these, thank you for posting.

A question if I may. On the last of the three films right at the end the fuel tank is sat on top of the DMU with the 25 shut down in the centre road. How does the fuel tank end up on the right end of the 25 for its trip back?

Thanks.

Good question, Indomitable026.  Go to the top of the class - you've really been paying attention!!!     :clapping_mini:

I had thought that one through, though - before your question!! (Honest!!)   Either the DMU that the fuel tank is blocking in would propel it into the headshunt  and leave it there for the 25 to couple up to, or, a DMU on its way into the stabling point would drag it into the headshunt and propel it onto the back of the 25: alternatively, the 25 could run into the headshunt and couple to the tanker and then set off, or go to an empty siding to await departure, allowing the DMU to stable.  I think those would be permissible moves as the tanker is now empty.

Rod

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, well, there's a few of us from the south end of Liverpool!!  As you say, Marshall5, it's a small world!!   I don't remember the steam loco track in Calderstones Park, though.  I did play in there a lot, but more at the Allerton Road side/end - and also in the Golf Links.

I remember the Uni playing fields well, Barnaby - I think I played hockey there for the school Old Boys once.  Talking of sports, I went to the Institute and our playing fields were on Mersey Road.  Spent many happy hours there playing cricket and hockey: I was no good at football - when we had games lessons and a class of 30 was split into 2 teams I always ended up in "the Left Overs"!!!!*****

I didn't spot at Mersey Road but some of us used to go to watch South Liverpool football team.  The ground there had a mound, or cinder heap, at the far end so you could stand on it to watch the football but also watch the trains on the London line (the station was Allerton then) or look down into the cutting that ran underneath and see trains on the CLC line - which often had strange locos with numbers beginning with a "6"!!!  The football ground is now underneath South Liverpool Parkway station and car parking.

By the sounds of it, though, I was a few years ahead of you other lads.  I left school in 1960 and went off to Uni, starting my career in the road haulage industry in 1963.

Certainly brings back the memories!!

Rod

PS    ******   These days I'd probably be offered counselling or some sort of emotional support for the damage that might have done to my feelings!!!  In those days, you just got on with it!!!

On 21/11/2020 at 15:37, Hroth said:

Thats a slippery slope!!!

Which the brakes of a Coal Tank won't prevent you from descending at greater speed...

A rake of Hattons Generic 6 wheeler coaches in LNWR livery would go rather nicely with it!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=879

They'd go nicely with the Precedent too...

Look at suggestions 5 and 6 in the formations sheet.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=867

:jester: or even :crazy:

I may not need those coaches, Hroth, I've got 4 x Ratio bogie coaches built and at least another 3 kits left to make up - though whether I could seriously go back to 4mm, I don't know.  I had a look at some of my old locos (including a Precedent ) - made from K's and Gem kits - and they're so small!!   Mind you, I did get the motor on a 2-4-2T 4'6" tank engine running yesterday - not bad after over 35 years in storage!!

Watch this space - I may get some pics of the LNWR stock I've got!

Rod

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dmudriver said:

Never heard that one before, Simon - but it's interesting!!  But it's also got me thinking that subconsciously maybe I'm looking at the G0G virtual show as the pinnacle of my ambition?  A stay-at-home version of building an exhibition layout that eventually appears at Telford?    Hhmmmm, maybe.  However, I know it's not finished although I can do all the operating moves I want - and can think of!!  I only came up with the DMU drag shortly before I did the filming!!

I think, though, that once we've got on top of this virus and restrictions start easing I'll be able to invite friends round for operating sessions and that will rekindle the interest.

On the other hand ....... maybe go back to 0 gauge LNWR?    :stop:  :nono:  

At least all this keeps the brain active - even if the body isn't as active as it should be!!  (I'll be glad when gyms can open again - and after I've had my vaccine - eventually!)

Rod

well, it seems to me that the modellers that I’ve seen/met/talked to over the years fall into one of a few categories.  I’m not putting value judgements on any of it, just reflecting on my observations, and wondering...

Some never achieve a layout completed to any substantial degree, this might be because they bit off more than they could chew, or that their circumstances changed, or they hadn’t though it through, or their attention span does not stretch to the required timescale that models, even little ones, take.

Some build something, run it for a while, and then want to move on.  The pleasure is perhaps as much or more in the building as the operation.  Chaz’ lovely Dock Green might fall into this group, I recall he said as much when selling it.  I suspect this is also the preferred approach of many of the more prolific exhibitor modellers, who want to challenge themselves, and in some cases also want to earn a crust from their modelling too.

Some have a few models, favourite locos typically, though sometimes substantial collections, which they run at their pals’ or club tracks, and these guys are probably much of the backbone of club modelling.

Others build something over a lifetime, and I guess their kids take it to bits, eventually.  Don’t really want to think too much about the latter aspect!

I guess we all go through the first phase, probably more than once, I did myself a couple of times, before settling down to a fairly self-disciplined approach, and sticking to it, more or less, much to my own surprise, for well over twenty years.  One day, maybe, the layout of which my loco shed is an intended module, will get built.  It is, at last, a realistic possibility, so keep your fingers crossed!

People talk about model railways never being finished, but I think that’s the whole point, they’re not supposed to be.

But what are you going to do?  Buying models of a different scale is potentially a slippery slope!  

Could you backdate WKT and run it in steam days?  I’ve joked lots about 503’s, and I’d still love to see them on your layout as that would be a nostalgia trip for me, but I think it would look great with “proper” locos, even if that raised some different operational necessities.  Coal tanks and plum coaches?!

I guess some of your scenic items would have to be changed.  The Portacabin and the fire station could be swapped for something of an earlier era, perhaps, and the road vehicles of course.    With two sets of stock, and some swappable scenery you’d have two different layouts.

Would you be able to manage turning trains, perhaps by use of a station pilot, without stretching credibility too far?  Using tank locos would be logical, I guess and if you wanted bigger locos, they could always be sent to Bidston for turning!

whatever you do, enjoy!

cheers

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Simond said:

well, it seems to me that the modellers that I’ve seen/met/talked to over the years fall into one of a few categories.

You missed a couple: some feel the need to categorise, and others don’t... ;)

• Funny 2