West Kirby Town: Parcels traffic has increased.

Dmudriver

Great layout build, will read it from the start when I have some time free.

Re the LR wheels, hopefully this picture of my current project helps. Many of the diecast manufacturers seem to struggle with Land Rover wheels, the Caramama wheels are too flat unfortunately. Oxford are bringing out a 1:43 series 3 so I would be tempted to see what their wheels look like?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49261102@N07/29613522883/in/album-72157667604707553/

attachicon.gifLR.png

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49261102@N07/34345771355/in/album-72157667604707553/

You beat me to it. Good looking project! And good shot of the wheels. Here is mine, also showing the wheels.

43390675980_747361cfb6_o.jpgLibby by Phil Mortimer, on Flickr

Both pictures show that the wheel is actually quite a complex contoured shape that is quite distinctive.

Rod,

Unfortunately, without being too obsessive or perfectionist, the wheels are a distinctive part of the Series Landy look. And the Carmarama ones don't look like anything I've ever seen on a series Landy - Far too modern looking and more like alloy wheels, which weren't fitted until well into the 90/110/Defender period. (I've seen some fitted to souped up modified Series Landies and it looks just plain wrong!). One thing to note is that the large black central hubs that are seen on the front wheels of my own vehicle (freewheeling hub selectors) would not normally be found on Series Landy's used in Fire Service. These would have the smaller and less pronounced permanent hubs as seen on 37114's vehicle.

It really depends upon how much you really care about this as to how much work you want to do, as well as where the model S3 Landy is to be located on the layout (and thus visible it is). The quickest and easiest fix would be to just paint the wheels the same color as the body / roof - most series fire trucks had Fire Engine Red red wheels, as per the Oxford Diecast model. Taking it a step further would be to fill in the "spoke" gaps in the wheels with Milliput or similar before painting. Going the whole hog would involve replacing the wheels altogether with some from a different source, such as the ones from the forthcoming Oxford S2 and S3 models. Only you can decide how much you work you want to put into it.. It should be noted that Oxford are listing a short wheelbase S3 in Fire Engine Red Livery as forthcoming, so that might be of use to you.

Anyhow, hope this is of help.

In the meantime, a Merry Christmas to you and thanks fro such a fascinating thread. I look forward to following it further in the future.

All the best,

Phil

Edited by PhilMortimer
  • Like 1

Although any landrover aficionado wil be easily able to pick you  up on details, you can readily  forestall any significant criticism, by making sure you include a large oil stain on the  ground, at the front end. (Phil's picture reminded me, even though he's added none original bits and colours, the oil stain is original.

Although any landrover aficionado wil be easily able to pick you up on details, you can readily forestall any significant criticism, by making sure you include a large oil stain on the ground, at the front end. (Phil's picture reminded me, even though he's added none original bits and colours, the oil stain is original.

And the obligatory AA van in attendance to get it started, or lifting it on the back of the recovery truck because it has snapped a half shaft or stripped the splines on the intermediate shaft.

One life live it ..... don’t buy a Landy ;-)

Seasons Greetings Rod to you and Rosemary

Craig & Family

Edited by muddys-blues

I only broke one half shaft in my bonkers V8 series 1 (trying to help a bloke who had dropped a girder on the roundabout at J14 of the M1). I had to drive back 160 miles to Birkenhead in 4WD but only driving on the front axle after that particular misadventure! Irrespective of the corner I was going around, every time I opened the throttle the steering went straight, so it was a threepenny bit journey...

Had some fun with that toy...

Oh yes, and I could bump start it myself, provided it was level or a little downhill.

Merry Thing

Simon

Although any landrover aficionado wil be easily able to pick you up on details, you can readily forestall any significant criticism, by making sure you include a large oil stain on the ground, at the front end. (Phil's picture reminded me, even though he's added none original bits and colours, the oil stain is original.

Sadly true, I have a couple of oil leaks already...

Nah, mine is actually fairly original. Being a late model (X Suffix reg, 1981), it came with certain updated details such as Defender style door mirrors from new. And yes the galvanized capping and windscreen has indeed been painted over. But it does have the original oil leaks from the engine and gear box and the only reason there is no oil stain is the sheets of plywood underneath it to catch it all!!!!!

Anyhow, to avoid this turning into a discourse on the pros, cons and details of series Landy’s, i’ll leave it there. Rod probably has more than enough information now. And more than he ever wanted! I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of the fire station develop.

Merry Christmas

Sadly true, I have a couple of oil leaks already...

Just wait until you fit the engine!! Edited by PhilMortimer

Nah, mine is actually fairly original. Being a late model (X Suffix reg, 1981), it came with certain updated details such as Defender style door mirrors from new. And yes the galvanized capping and windscreen has indeed been painted over. But it does have the original oil leaks from the engine and gear box and the only reason there is no oil stain is the sheets of plywood underneath it to catch it all!!!!!

Anyhow, to avoid this turning into a discourse on the pros, cons and details of series Landy’s, i’ll leave it there. Rod probably has more than enough information now. And more than he ever wanted! I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of the fire station develop.

Merry Christmas

Just wait until you fit the engine!!

The engine is in, it is leaking as is the gearbox and nearside swivel hub. Give me model railways anyway....

• Like 1

A friend of mine who works for JLR says, “Landrover. Seriously off-road. ‘Cos it’s in the garage being repaired.”

Happy Christmas.

I refuse to rise to the bait!! All I can say is that mine is pretty reliable for a nearly 40 year old vehicle. ‘Nuff said!

Well, I do have a claim to fame...

I was the guy that gave Defenders wind-up windows in place of slidy ones.

Merry Christmas!

Simon

That’s an interesting claim to fame. I’ve always preferred the sliding windows - they always remind me of the cab windows on the D10XX Western hydraulics. Even to the point that they rattle insanely at certain speeds....

Merry Christmas all!

Edited by PhilMortimer

In the 90’s I worked for the LVS division of Rockwell International as head of Door Systems in the UK. We had introduced a standardised cross-arm window regulator system in the Honda Civic, Rover 200/400, the Rover 800, and I was somewhat occupied with the MG-F (no it’s not my fault that they leak) when the guys at Solihull asked if it would be possible to get the same system into Defender.

I schemed it, the team (in France) did the hard work and sorted out the details (and the validation) as usual; the customer was happy. :)

My grubby mitts also designed & project managed all the Transit window regs for the VE 83 & VE184/5 series, Nissan Micra k10 & k11 & Primera (can’t remember which model) the Aston Martin DB7, and some extreme oddities including three Rolls Royce conversions for some very rich chap in the Middle East, and the Mini & the Metro Cabrio versions. And a Chrysler in the US, and a few others.

I managed to visit Japan, the US, Australia, and most European countries in the 11 years I was there.

Looking back, it was all rather fun, although I spent rather too much of my life in hotel bars!

Happy Christmas

Simon

Just out of interest, who makes the kit for the fire station building? I looked through th thread, but couldn’t find the name. Though, it’s likely I just missed it.

Cheers,

P

Hi Phil.

It's KSLaserdesigns  website is here:   https://kslaserdesigns.com/O-gauge     

This is to the 0 gauge section but you can navigate round the site from there.  The link to the fire station is obvious!!   

I got my fencing from here, too - although there's no picture of it in the relevant section!!

HTH.

Rod

Edit..  Dave replied while I was typing mine!!   Thanks, Dave.

Edited by Dmudriver

As a firefighter with over 40 years in the career service I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Thanks

Russell

No pressure, then, Russell!!!!! However, you may well find me asking for advice!!

I'm trying to do some research on the internet but I'd appreciate a nudge on the elbow if something is blatantly wrong!!

Rod

• Like 1

Hi Rod,

It all depends on what type of fire station you are going for. A normal 24 hr covered station will usually have a 5 floor training tower. Whereas some, usually the larger stations will also have a BA training centre which would consist of a couple of industrial looking buildings and an old 40 ft steel container.

These containers were a baptism of fire to the recruits, if they didn't come out with blisters on their ears they weren't doing the job properly...... Mind you it's all changed since I started, you cannot even say " manhole cover " nowadays just " personnel cover".... Still I'll leave it there.

Martyn.

• Like 2

There is a 1:43 Dennis F8 kit available from fellow New Zealander Paul Berntsen and the late Bob Brown's Classic Commercials range. Well out of first responder role they were stil used for training and releif pumps well into the 1980s. So one wouldnt look astray in the station yard in that role in the time period you are modelling.

Be Well All

Russell

There is a 1:43 Dennis F8 kit available from fellow New Zealander Paul Berntsen and the late Bob Brown's Classic Commercials range. Well out of first responder role they were stil used for training and releif pumps well into the 1980s. So one wouldnt look astray in the station yard in that role in the time period you are modelling.

Be Well All

Russell

Sounds interesting, Russell.  I'll leave it until the New Year, though.

Rod

Hi all.

A bit more progress - but not on the fire station!!  I'm giving that a fair bit of thought and a bit of research, too, but in the meantime and during some breaks over the holiday, I've started making up some platform fencing which I bought a while back.

I've just put them in place to get an idea how they look and to work out what "filler" pieces I need.  Here's a few pics of them: obviously they need painting white before I fix them permanently:

post-7571-0-98506700-1546210646_thumb.jpg post-7571-0-94312600-1546210723_thumb.jpg post-7571-0-78774300-1546210740_thumb.jpg

The one along the platform edge by the buffer stop will be shortened, otherwise a DMU driver who stops right up to the buffers probably won't be able to get out of the cab door and will have to go back to the first door in the passenger saloon.  (How do I know ..........?   :yes:  :yes: )

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 14

It would serve the driver right for pulling up so close to the stop blocks! :jester:

Joking aside - I like the way you think through the full size practicalities applied to the miniature. I feel this is one of the main reasons this is such a convincing model. Exemplary work.

Ian Major  

"It would serve the driver right for pulling up so close to the stop blocks! "

I just had to check it, didn't I??!!  I used the longest 5-car DMU consist that I'll run and it fits in the platform: so I can use a full length fence panel.  Pics here:

post-7571-0-24256300-1546266311_thumb.jpg post-7571-0-86435400-1546266328_thumb.jpg 

It needs careful brake control but it's easily do-able - by an experienced driver (trainees might struggle a bit)!!  

Rod

• Like 12