West Kirby Town: narrow gauge may be coming to town.

Dmudriver

Ah, not the 1980s, then...

Ooooops, forgot that, Simon!!!  It's meant to be late 70s/early 80s.   Just got a bit carried away  with the story-telling!!!  Do I need a proof reader in future?

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver

Hi all.

A bit more of an update.  I've taken some photos of the Coal Tank in all her preserved shiny glory, straight out of the paintshop.  The first 2 are close-ups of the loco herself:

post-7571-0-92858500-1420218441_thumb.jpgpost-7571-0-44039300-1420218459_thumb.jpg

The next is from the other side, showing the push-pull fittings and the LMS smoke box darts - it also has LMS buffers (and unprototypically bent brake rodding!!):

post-7571-0-38806100-1420218471_thumb.jpg

The lettering will be as on this photo:

http://locodriver.co.uk/Railway_Encyclopedia/Part186/Part02/img37.gif

As I said a couple of posts previously, my pal who finished it for me has lent me a couple of push-pull coaches which are currently behind the loco.  These are models of the 2 vehicles that worked the last "Delph Donkey".  Something I know nothing about but my pal comes from that area.  He's also got a model of the actual loco that did the last trip but he's kept that and, no, it wasn't a Coal Tank!  These are the coaches:

post-7571-0-21958500-1420218487_thumb.jpg

The Ivatt has been out and about with "The Welsh Dragon" set and I took a couple of photos of that (I've still to make the frame for the loco headboard):

post-7571-0-71570100-1420219096_thumb.jpgpost-7571-0-99203400-1420219136_thumb.jpg

I've taken a photo of the rake of spare parcels stock I've got.  The Insulfish vans need painting:

post-7571-0-98267500-1420219149_thumb.jpg

And finally, a view of the even more crowded layout.  There's a 50 and 33 still to go on, as well as the trailer car of the 108 (middle road of the stabling point).  Oh, and the 131 when it's finished, but being a single car it won't take up too much space and I'll likely mostly run it in multiple with the DMUs, anyway. I think, when it comes to serious operating, I may have to take one rake of parcels stock off to make it reasonable to work, but I'll test it one day when the weather's a bit warmer before I make a definite decision:

post-7571-0-14452400-1420219162_thumb.jpg

So that's the up-to-date situation on WKT.  More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 12

Rod

I am intreagued by the vehicle sitting at the end of the parcels rake and can't quite make it out.

Can you enlighten?

Superb work as always. I forgot you had the 131 to come.

As an alternative to another pure thumper you could always try a Tadpole unit. Does Peter Clark do these? They were a motor and trailer from a Hastings set and an EPB driving trailer at the other end.

Regards

Paul

Hi Rod, where is the inspection saloon available from ?

Best regards

Craig

Hi Craig.

It's from an Orion kit, but I don't know if they are still available.  I bought it ready-to-run at Telford 2013 - pricey, but a superb model and I've no regrets about paying the price.

Easybuild do an, or maybe more than 1, inspection saloon and I seem to remember Ressaldar (a member on RMweb) was producing some at one stage.  Whether he still does, I don't know:  MIke, can you update?

HTH.

Rod

Rod

I am intreagued by the vehicle sitting at the end of the parcels rake and can't quite make it out.

Can you enlighten?

Superb work as always. I forgot you had the 131 to come.

As an alternative to another pure thumper you could always try a Tadpole unit. Does Peter Clark do these? They were a motor and trailer from a Hastings set and an EPB driving trailer at the other end.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul.

The 2 blue ones at the far end of the rake are Stanier full brakes, the far one 50' and the nearer one 57'.  Both built from Sidelines kits.

Thanks for your comments about the layout and about the Tadpole units.  I've read of them and seen pics, but never seen one "in the flesh".  I'm still undecided about what next after the 131, but I've a lot to do on the layout, so decision time is a long way off yet!!

Rod

It's from an Orion kit, but I don't know if they are still available.  I bought it ready-to-run at Telford 2013 - pricey, but a superb model and I've no regrets about paying the price.

Easybuild do an, or maybe more than 1, inspection saloon and I seem to remember Ressaldar (a member on RMweb) was producing some at one stage.

Sidelines also do an inspection saloon kit - it was my Christmas present from SWMBO. Initial impressions after building the bogies are that it's very good.

Hi Rod, just got home 10mins ago, good to meet up with you for a lovely chat, thanks for the info on the inspection saloon.

I will try and post some pics of my new acquisition on my 7mm thread later this week

Best regards & happy modelling

Craig

• Like 1

Hi Rod, just got home 10mins ago, good to meet up with you for a lovely chat, thanks for the info on the inspection saloon.

I will try and post some pics of my new acquisition on my 7mm thread later this week

Best regards & happy modelling

Craig

Hi Craig.

I enjoyed the chat, too, and look forward to seeing your pics.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver

Rod

Just checked the Peter Clark web site

http://www.peterclarkkits.com/demus.html

He does both the 204 (Hastings short framed tadpole) and the 206 (Hastings long framed Tadpole). It seems you have a choice.  You can also have the complete Hastings units too if that appeals. Don't forget one got to Carlisle on a Rail tour and there was even a serious proposal to take one to Paris on a Rail tour using the train ferry from Dover as was. Pity that one never came off.

regards

Paul R

Give over, you two!!!    Don't put temptation in my way!!   I've just made another New Year resolution:  "No, no, no, I must stay strong"!!!!

Thanks for the offer, Craig, but seriously though, the blue/grey 108 would be the last but one model to go if I was having to get rid (the last being the 50) as it's a model of the one I used to drive at Llangollen.  

Paul, the complete Hastings unit is 6 cars long as I read Peter Clark's page (being a North West lad, I know nothing about them) - it wouldn't fit in the platforms or fiddle yard!!!  

Nope, for the moment, no more locos or stock after the 131 and the ex-LNW driving trailer for the Coal Tank.  Scenery has to be next (after I've done the lights on the 108 trailer).

Rod

Give over, you two!!!    Don't put temptation in my way!!   I've just made another New Year resolution:  "No, no, no, I must stay strong"!!!!

Thanks for the offer, Craig, but seriously though, the blue/grey 108 would be the last but one model to go if I was having to get rid (the last being the 50) as it's a model of the one I used to drive at Llangollen.  

Paul, the complete Hastings unit is 6 cars long as I read Peter Clark's page (being a North West lad, I know nothing about them) - it wouldn't fit in the platforms or fiddle yard!!!  

Nope, for the moment, no more locos or stock after the 131 and the ex-LNW driving trailer for the Coal Tank.  Scenery has to be next (after I've done the lights on the 108 trailer).

Rod

Ah yes but you can run as a five car after they removed the buffet cars and still be prototypical!

Get the short framed version and you'll have plenty of room!

I think though the tadpole would be a better bet. I can here one calling with your name on it!

Paul

Rod

.............................................. The Blue 115 then ??? 

post-8721-0-98470000-1420410348.jpg

Ah yes but you can run as a five car after they removed the buffet cars and still be prototypical!

Get the short framed version and you'll have plenty of room!

I think though the tadpole would be a better bet. I can here one calling with your name on it!

Paul

A 5-car does have some attractions, Paul. After all, I do run DMUs in multiple. I also like the look of the Southern DEMUs but it's a long, slippery slope if I did get on it. I'd end up putting the 3rd rail in and then getting EMUs!!!!!!! So, "no" is the answer, tempting as it may be!! Scenery has to be the priority this year after the other jobs are done.

Rod