West Kirby Town: narrow gauge may be coming to town.

Dmudriver

A 5-car does have some attractions, Paul. After all, I do run DMUs in multiple. I also like the look of the Southern DEMUs but it's a long, slippery slope if I did get on it. I'd end up putting the 3rd rail in and then getting EMUs!!!!!!! So, "no" is the answer, tempting as it may be!! Scenery has to be the priority this year after the other jobs are done.

Rod

Ah yes but that's inevitable since you are going to need a 508 which of course was originally built for the south western services out of Waterloo.

Sorry I seem to have an answer for everything! Perhaps I should keep my mouth shut!

Paul

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

At last - an update!!  I've been struggling to fit the new LEDs in the trailer car of the 2-car 108. You may remember I was changing them so that I can standardise my DMU fleet by being able to turn the lights at either end off independent of the other end: the purpose being to be able to multi them up and not have lights lit in the middle of the consist.

The previous lights were fitted from under the chassis and unfortunately I didn't take any pictures.  But I decided to do it all inside the vehicle and gave myself a few problems.  These mainly concerned fitting the chassis into the body once the lights were fitted but that wasn't helped by the fact that for some reason the chassis wouldn't go back in even before the lights were properly fitted.  I finally found it was because one of the driver's hands which is stretched out to operate the controls was catching under the desk and I couldn't get it past the desk.  How it was put together in the first place, I don't know!!  Eventually I solved that by moving the driver's seat backwards and everything then fitted.  Well, ...... almost, except that the wiring blocked the driver now getting into the space required for him!!

So I had to reroute the wiring and put the resistors inside the passenger compartment.

This view shows the final set-up:

post-7571-0-17464500-1421964989_thumb.jpg

The wires from the lights go to the homemade tag strip but those at the bottom of the picture (the 2nd man's side) have the resistors soldered to the LEDs, but those at the top have them soldered to the tag strip, as does the headlight (the purple wire).  The next pic shows that end in more detail:

post-7571-0-30941300-1421965000_thumb.jpg

The space at the top of the picture is where the driver fits in and originally I had the same setup as the bottom of the pic.  Even though I bent them up the driver still wouldn't fit so I had to rethink!!.  The black and red wires come through a slot in the chassis and are soldered to the motor pickups when it's all fitted together.  The blue wire that is pictured lying over the screw hole was moved and fastened down before I refitted the chassis.  The final pic shows the detail of the socket and the chip itself (this is a v4 ESU function-only chip).  The wiring looks a bit messy, but is typical of my work, but you cannot see a thing when the vehicle is on the layout - well, unless a) you know where to look and b] you look very carefully!!

post-7571-0-16358200-1421965010_thumb.jpg

I have to admit that I got a bit disheartened at times and did shy away from it but I persevered and got there in the end.  During the fitting I kept checking circuits and the LEDs to make sure everything was working correctly at each stage of the process.  I've tried it on the layout tonight and the lights work correctly on F0.  Unfortunately, the programming for switching off one end or the other needs amending as it's a bit haywire at the moment but that's a job for when I see my pal with the Lokprogrammer.

Next job?  Lettering the Coal Tank.  Hopefully that won't take as long as this job and I'll be back soon.

Rod

• Like 5

Hi Rod, good to see you back on here with updates, I love this layout, and the bog cart updates are great for those of us entering & modelling in the 7mm fray.

Your updates are invaluable especially the DCC ones, as you are not afraid to show or discuss the nuts and bolts of the projects, even the discussing the pitfalls and frustrations, they are a help to guide those who have yet to take on these challenges.

Ok ..... did you want to talk about that 115 set that looks out of place on your layout ?

Best regards as always

Craig

Hi Rod, good to see you back on here with updates, I love this layout, and the bog cart updates are great for those of us entering & modelling in the 7mm fray.

Your updates are invaluable especially the DCC ones, as you are not afraid to show or discuss the nuts and bolts of the projects, even the discussing the pitfalls and frustrations, they are a help to guide those who have yet to take on these challenges.

Ok ..... did you want to talk about that 115 set that looks out of place on your layout ?

Best regards as always

Craig

Thanks, Craig.  I'm quite happy to share my faults and failures as I hope it does help others.  It seems to me that that's what RMweb is all about - sharing knowledge and advice.  I've certainly found it useful and I've benefitted from it..

As for the 115 -   :no:  -  no chance, pal!!!  That's another job you've just reminded me of, though - I need to take the chips out to get them reblown and reprogrammed so that I can turn the lights off at each end independently as I have with the other DMUs. I'll likely only run the 131 with it as I can only fit 5 vehicles into the platforms or the longest siding.- unless I attach a tail load, of course!!**  In that case, I'll hang a tail lamp on the attached vehicle.  I'm not doing it with the Thumper as that can't couple to any of the DMUs.  If I ever get another one, that will be a different story!!!

The chips in the 115 are Zimo, programmed specially for me by Paul Chetter, so that, for example, the horn only sounds in the leading car, and the guard/driver buzzer sounds first in the leading cab and then in the rear guard's van.  It's really effective.  The guard's whistle will also sound only at the rear car - it's not on the chip at the moment

More soon.

Rod

**  I've only thought of that as I write this post - it's never been part of the plan so far!!!

• Like 2

Hi all.

An update from my previous post:  the programming of the lights on the 2-car 108 trailer will be sorted out at Doncaster next weekend.  "Oldham King Street Parcels" has been invited, at short notice, and I'm going along to help operate it.  Dave Hampson will take his Lokprogrammer, so we'll sort it then.  Hopefully, by then I'll also have a sound chip for my Ivatt and a sound chip for the Coal Tank - but at the moment we're not sure which sound is the most representative of the latter.  We shall see!  All being well, those chips will be fitted and the locos may be able to make an appearance on the layout.

On the subject of the Coal Tank, the transfers are now fitted.  A pal at the Club, who's been painting and lining for years (model cars as well as railways) offered to show me how to do it properly and he ended up doing the job for me.  I've helped him with the track and wiring on his layout. so he was scratching my back, so to speak!

Here's what it now looks like:

post-7571-0-73069500-1422566463_thumb.jpg

and another:

post-7571-0-93676800-1422566471_thumb.jpg

Still needs a bit of weathering to bring out some of the details, but it will stay shiny as it is representing a preserved one.  The cab roof is black - it's the light reflecting off the shine that makes it look as though it may have been a Royal Train engine (the LNWR Painted the cab roofs white on them - whether other companies did or not, I don't know).  The lettering is post-war pre-nationalisation, but nationalisation has stepped in with the numbering.  Unusual, yes, but prototypical - I've seen a photo to prove it.  It's here:

http://locodriver.co.uk/Railway_Encyclopedia/Part186/Part02/index.html   4th photo down, in Section 8 "Feet up, Don, it's Tring".

So that's the progress for now. More soon, but if I don't come on before Doncaster and anyone else is going, come over and say hello - I'm the old one of the 4 operators!!!

Rod

PS   It looks like the footplate is bent from the cab to the bunker rear - I'll have to check it, but I never noticed it on the model, again, it's close-up photos that show up problems!!

• Like 7

HI all.

A short update.  The 2 chips arrived today and they're now fitted to the locos.  I've tested them and they work fine - I've just got to get the speakers mounted in the bodies now.  I'll do that now and leave the glue to dry overnight.  I'm using rectangular bass speakers and I'll take some pics tomorrow of how they're fitted in.  The Ivatt sound is pretty much in sync with the wheel revolutions, but the Coal Tank is way out.  We're actually using an M2 sound which I am told is pretty representative - I saw the Coal Tank at Barrow Hill last year, but can't remember what it sounded like.

More soon.

Rod

Hi all.

The chips are in and all is working - apart from synchronising the chuffs.  That's tomorrow's or Monday's job.  I've taken some pictures of how the speakers and chips are fitted.  The first shows the speaker in the Coal Tank: it fits nicely in the top of the boiler above the motor and gearbox:

post-7571-0-35378100-1422746718_thumb.jpg

The chip is lying in the smokebox and I've put Blutak over the wires to make sure the chip doesn't move and come to rest on the speaker.  I've found, to my cost, that that doesn't do the chip much good!!!  

The next 3 are of the fitting into the Ivatt.  This was a bit more difficult.  I planned to put a speaker in the smoke box under the chimney but nothing would fit.  I tried a 28mm round speaker in the boiler but that didn't sound right so it was "find a way" to get a rectangular one in.  The next pic shows the solution: it's glued inside one of the side tanks:

post-7571-0-28816400-1422746733_thumb.jpg

This leaves room for the motor and driving wheels.  The chip is again in the smoke box and, again, held in place by Blutak on the wires - this pic shows how:

post-7571-0-26096800-1422746741_thumb.jpg

Finally, the view from outside.  Invisible - well, unless you know where to look and then look very closely!!

post-7571-0-72204300-1422746749_thumb.jpg

The speakers do sound really good.  The Ivatt's synchronisation has been knocked out of kilter by my setting up the motor/chip by virtue of CV54 = 0, press F1.  The Coal Tank is no different.  I was cleaning the wheels on that when everything locked solid - one of the coupling rod nuts had come off.  Fortunately, I found it and sorted it all out.  It was a bit heart-in-mouth time, though!!

So, that's it for now.  I'll sort the synchronisation out and then see if I can do a video of the 2 kettles.  More soon.

Rod

• Like 6

Hi all.

Following on from yesterday's post, the chuffs are now synced.  (doesn't sound good English, does it?  But I know you know what I mean!!)  It's not a quick job, but concentration and perseverance do help.  I had to reset the Coal Tank/M7 chip back to SWD's settings at one point as the chuffs were going crazy - like these Baldwin (??) logging locos you see.  It is so much better to be able to watch the wheels and coupling rods moving in time with the chuffs:  I've seen a fair number of locos that haven't had it done and, to me at least, it's not right.  Mind you it's not a problem with diesels!!!!

So, what next?  Immediately, type up the records of the settings for the CVs of the 2 locos I've just done and, while I'm at it, type up the revised function lists for the DMUs - Lokprogrammer's a wonderful thing!!.  Then, I think, get the chips out of the 115 power cars, ready for reblowing and then check everything is working OK for Doncaster.

More soon, but I'll try a do a video these next few days of those 2 locos - I'm surprised no-one's picked me up for calling them "kettles"!!

Rod

Hi all.

Following on from yesterday's post, the chuffs are now synced.  (doesn't sound good English, does it?  But I know you know what I mean!!)  It's not a quick job, but concentration and perseverance do help.  I had to reset the Coal Tank/M7 chip back to SWD's settings at one point as the chuffs were going crazy - like these Baldwin (??) logging locos you see.  It is so much better to be able to watch the wheels and coupling rods moving in time with the chuffs:  I've seen a fair number of locos that haven't had it done and, to me at least, it's not right.  Mind you it's not a problem with diesels!!!!

So, what next?  Immediately, type up the records of the settings for the CVs of the 2 locos I've just done and, while I'm at it, type up the revised function lists for the DMUs - Lokprogrammer's a wonderful thing!!.  Then, I think, get the chips out of the 115 power cars, ready for reblowing and then check everything is working OK for Doncaster.

More soon, but I'll try a do a video these next few days of those 2 locos - I'm surprised no-one's picked me up for calling them "kettles"!!

Rod

Pfft Kettles on WKT ... what next ??? does this mean some of the bog carts are being pushed out ??? I know where there is a new DMU maintenance depot being planned so if they are looking for a new home  :declare:  ???

That foreign looking thing with them rod driven wheel things looks good Rod.

Happy modelling

Craig.

• Like 1

Rod

Out of interest what motor is fitted to that Ivatt tank please

regards

Paul

Hi Paul.

As far as I know, it's a Mashima.  It was with the kit when I got it and already fitted to the gears.  I don't remember seeing a label on it, but this is a picture of it as I was building the kit:

post-7571-0-27110700-1422917067_thumb.jpg

HTH.

Rod

Hi Craig.

"Pfft Kettles on WKT ... what next ??? does this mean some of the bog carts are being pushed out ??? I know where there is a new DMU maintenance depot being planned so if they are looking for a new home!

Somewhere way back in the thread I explained that there was a preservation society yard at WKT but they were given notice to quit when BR wanted to build the new DMU stabling point.  BR found the preservation society some land at New Brighton and granted them permission to run on BR metals between New Brighton and WKT, subject, of course, to locos and stock meeting all safety standards.

So, no, the DMUs (I refuse to use the derogatory term "bog carts" (!!!!!!)) do not need new homes, but thanks for the offer!  You'll have to bolster Easybuild or Westdale's sales!!

Rod

• Like 1

Mr Morgan you really need to learn the urban hood speak for railways, all us young un's in our mid to late 40's call em bog carts ... Brother yoo iz no way down wiv the kids Man .... Clicks thumb and fore finger whilst shaking my left wrist.

Seriously I like the scenario about the preservation line, I am just trying to prise one of those lovely Multiple Units from your grasp,

Anyway speaking of bolstering the sales of certain manufacturers, I have been notified by Shawn I have purchased the last of the current batch of the Swindon Inspection coach, so it will be something my 31 can tug along the 2 yards of test track when I build it, saying that I could just put some bogies on the box draw some windows and doors on it crayon and pull the kit around like that

Happy modelling

Craig

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

I'm back again, after a while away from here.  

Yes, I've been quiet but it's nothing to do with losing my modelling mojo, or anything like that.  It's that, on the Tuesday before Doncaster (the 3rd Feb) I decided that I was missing the snow in the Swiss Alps too much so I went and booked a week's holiday in Interlaken.  Normally I go with my GF but she couldn't go, so I went on my own!!  All booked and paid for by the next day, money, etc all done before Doncaster.   Did the show, came home and went away on the Tuesday evening, back last Thursday.  Fabulous time!! My only interest in the trains over there was at what times they were running - I went walking, not spotting, or photographing!!  I did take a couple of pics of a set I've not seen before - looks like an SBB TGV equivalent:

post-7571-0-29690100-1424904635_thumb.jpg

So, to matters modelling.  The 2 tank locos appeared on "Oldham King St Parcels" and the Coal Tank sounded superb:  the Ivatt, however, not so good - it couldn't easily be heard above the background noise of the exhibition, even on maximum volume.  I suspected it was to do with the speaker being on its side, projecting the sound into the loco.  I showed pics in my post of 31st Jan.  Both locos have the same v4 chip and the same speaker but the Coal Tank sounded so much better.

I've remedied it tonight.  Here's the answer:

post-7571-0-23653700-1424903344_thumb.jpg

I've taken the rectangular speaker out and fitted a 28mm diameter, 8 ohm speaker facing downwards, in its place.  It is much better.  Maybe not quite so much bass, but it still sounds good.  Since I took the photo, I've drilled 9 holes in the plate to the left of the motor in the chassis: that plate is under the speaker and, although there is space between it and the speaker, I thought some holes might help the sound escape a bit more.  I've tested it and, if I'm honest, it's hard to tell, but I like to think it's louder!!

So, it's now back to modelling, but here's one of my favourite pictures from my walks in Switzerland:

post-7571-0-99845400-1424904712_thumb.jpg

And, just to show I did get high up into the mountains, too:

post-7571-0-86853300-1424904951_thumb.jpg

Just fabulous!!!  More soon - railway modelling related, not snow related!!

Rod

• Like 6

So does ths mean West Kirby Town will now get a dusting of snow?

Not many of these winter layouts about particularly in 7mm. You could have avoided all that ballasting!

Paul R

Ps how is the 508 coming along!!!

So does ths mean West Kirby Town will now get a dusting of snow?

Not many of these winter layouts about particularly in 7mm. You could have avoided all that ballasting!

Paul R

Ps how is the 508 coming along!!!

Hi Paul.

If I did a snow scene, it would be really thick stuff, rather than a dusting.  But I don't think either is likely, realistically!!   Any more than a 508!!   Now, if a 503 were to come onto the market, that might be a different story. Even a 502 would get me thinking, although the latter didn't run on the Wirral lines.  But that's pipe dreaming, I think.  Back to reality ....!!

I've not been on here much recently, for various reasons, so after the famine, here's the feast!!

I've been working away on various jobs recently (as well as playing with my new steam engines!!)  What the playing has shown up, though, is short sections of track which are electrically dead.  When I laid the track I aimed to put a seperate feed on each length of track to ensure I got good power feeds.  There were some short sections that I left - just a few inches - and relied on the fishplates for continuity.  No problems with long diesel locos or DMU power cars that pick up on both bogies, but with shorter wheel base kettles, trouble!!!  So I've had to solder some fishplates to rails to cure the problem.  That now seems to be fixed and they run OK.

I've been taking the chips out of my 115s with a view to getting them reblown with Paul Chetter's more advanced system. At the same time he's going to remap the functions for me as (as I think I've mentioned before) I'm trying to get the same function numbers doing the same thing across the fleet.   Unfortunately, when I fitted them, I hard wired them so I'm now having to refit the pins to the chips and fit sockets to the power cars.  Here's one in bits, with the job part finished:

post-7571-0-36933100-1425679175_thumb.jpg

The chip is in the bottom right-hand corner, with the pins refitted.  The chocolate block is for the speaker, which will remain in the car if the chip comes out again.   The new socket is to its left - fitting that is the next job.  The red, white and blue wires in the roof of the coach are for the marker lights: the red (actually orange) wire is instead of yellow as I ran out at the time I was fitting them!!!  It's all noted down, however.

I should finish that job tomorrow and I'll refit the chip as I've a couple of friends coming on Sunday for an operating session and I want all my DMUs available (they are both DMU drivers).   Then next week I'll send them to Paul.

As I said, I've been playing with my new kettles - well, OK then, my new steam engines!!  I'm really pleased with the sound - I'll try and do some videos soon.  The Coal Tank has found work attached to the Observation Saloon and here's a couple of pix of them together:

post-7571-0-91049200-1425679190_thumb.jpg

post-7571-0-70441700-1425679200_thumb.jpg

A preserved steam loco and an operational observation saloon??!!  Story?  BR is especially pleased with the work the Preservation Society have done and so are allowing the Society to run specials for VIPs - at weekends only - and have lent the saloon to go with it until the vintage push/pull coach restoration is complete.

Also, as it's weekend, the newly restored Ivatt is out with the "Welsh Dragon" set.  Cue another pic:

post-7571-0-98048100-1425679213_thumb.jpg

A number of DMUs are stabled for the weekend.  Also stabled are 3 diesel engines:  the 03 shunter, the 33 and the Class 50, still attached to the rake of Mark 1s.  More pix of those 3:

post-7571-0-73455700-1425679225_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-67118000-1425679234_thumb.jpg post-7571-0-15257200-1425679246_thumb.jpg

Finally, there's a pic of most of the stock on the layout, apart from the 115, which would be occupying the empty Platform 2.  This is the situation prior to an operating session.

post-7571-0-71035000-1425679257_thumb.jpg

There are 3 DMUs behind the camera in the stabling point.  The Mark 1s plus a loco, the 115, the "Welsh Dragon" set, and the parcels rake plus a loco will all go to the fiddle yard prior to the session starting.  The Coal Tank plus saloon and the light engine 33 will also go to the kick-back sidings in the fiddle yard.  The first move in the operating session proper will be the Thumper from the stabling point to a platform, then the 115 into the other platform, then the Thumper out to the fiddle yard.  A loco hauled rake would then come in to make room for another DMU and so we carry on!!

That, I think, is all the news for now.  Things may have been quiet, but work is still ongoing.  Actually, it takes my mind off the trials and tribulations of that football team I support!!

Rod

PS    When I was in the shed tonight I found evidence of what could be a leak in the shed roof.  That's for checking in daylight in the morning!!

:

• Like 13