West Kirby Town: Parcels traffic has increased.

Dmudriver

Hi Rod, hope you are well ? Top update that, your stock is looking well, it's great seeing your station now in the last photo as against the progress pics earlier in this thread, please keep the pics coming, any chance of some more little videos with your sound fitted DMU stock rasping past the camera ? "Pretty please ?"

Happy modelling

Craig

Hi Rod

Is the 03 sound fitted, whose sound file have you used? I'm looking for a chip for mine.

Ian

Hi I an.

It's got a v3.5 Loksound chip in it with an SWD sound file. At least, I think it's a v3.5 - it could be earlier, if that's possible. It's the first chip I ever fitted myself - with some help and advice. When SWD upgrade the system (whenever that is), I'll replace it but for the moment it sounds OK to me.

Rod

Hi Rod, hope you are well ? Top update that, your stock is looking well, it's great seeing your station now in the last photo as against the progress pics earlier in this thread, please keep the pics coming, any chance of some more little videos with your sound fitted DMU stock rasping past the camera ? "Pretty please ?"

Happy modelling

Craig

Hi Craig.

I'm planning to do some more videos soon but it could be a few weeks yet as I'm operating on Apethorne Junction at Nottingham in a fortnight and I'm aiming to check my all stock prior to that. Add to that getting the 115 chips reblown and a spare Zimo chip reblown to put in the Class 33, I've a bit to do first!!

The videos are planned to feature the kettles but I'll put some DMU ones in, too.

Rod

Very nice Rod,

I really like the Inspection Saloon. Appologies if i have already said this before but i do like it.

Rob

I may have said something similar to this before ...  I like his 115, so much so I keep hitting that I wish to buy it, but he has such a grasp on it I now know I have no chance  :scratchhead: I must try another angle of attack to get it  :locomotive:

• Like 1

Hi all.

I had a good running session today with my 2 friends, after the rain stopped and the sun came out.  I've proved I can run with all the stock on the layout - not too easily, but it can be done - and after 2 hours of route setting and following a theoretical timetable (all in my head, not written down!) it got a bit tiring!!   The result was that I tried to put the 4-car 115 in a platform behind the 2-car 108 - it was in the far platform, hidden by the awning and I forgot it was there!!!  If I'd been in the actual box, I'd have had a better view!!!  So we went and had a cup of tea to relax!

I've also found it helps to have at least one loco-hauled rake in the station at any one time, preferably in a siding, as it gives a bit more room for manoeuvre in the fiddle yard.  I'll need to fit the water column somewhere so the Ivatt and Coal Tank can fill up and that will get them out of the platforms, too.  

All great fun, though!!  I've now got the 115 power cars in bits, taking out the chips ready for reblowing.

More soon.

Rod

• Like 4

I may have said something similar to this before ...  I like his 115, so much so I keep hitting that I wish to buy it, but he has such a grasp on it I now know I have no chance  :scratchhead: I must try another angle of attack to get it  :locomotive:

Or you could make one!

Paul R

• Like 1

Hi all.

I had a good running session today with my 2 friends, after the rain stopped and the sun came out. I've proved I can run with all the stock on the layout - not too easily, but it can be done - and after 2 hours of route setting and following a theoretical timetable (all in my head, not written down!) it got a bit tiring!! The result was that I tried to put the 4-car 115 in a platform behind the 2-car 108 - it was in the far platform, hidden by the awning and I forgot it was there!!! If I'd been in the actual box, I'd have had a better view!!! So we went and had a cup of tea to relax!

I've also found it helps to have at least one loco-hauled rake in the station at any one time, preferably in a siding, as it gives a bit more room for manoeuvre in the fiddle yard. I'll need to fit the water column somewhere so the Ivatt and Coal Tank can fill up and that will get them out of the platforms, too.

All great fun, though!! I've now got the 115 power cars in bits, taking out the chips ready for reblowing.

More soon.

Rod

Could be time for some track circuits Rod!

JF

Hi all.

Just a quick update.  The chips are out of the 115 and rejoined to 8-pin plugs: sockets for those plugs are now fitted in both power cars.  Those chips (Zimo 645s), together with a Zimo 695, are now with Paul Chetter, waiting to be reblown.  The 695 will be for my Class 33 which has an ESU v3.5 XL chip: I felt this needs upgrading and as I had the spare Zimo, I thought I'd use that rather than buy a new v4 XL chip.

I've put some weight in the side tanks of the Coal Tank as it was a bit light and pickup was a bit indifferent at times.  The extra weight seems to help (as does clean track and wheels, obviously!!!)   The weight is 4 bars of solder and a similar number of strips of lead which I had in my spares box.  All packed in with Blutack!!

I've also packed up my 3-car 108, the Thumper, the Ivatt and the Coal Tank and Classes 50, 37 and 33, ready for running on Apethorne Junction at Nottingham this weekend.  If anyone's there, come over and say hello.  Whether I'll have long to talk is another matter as we need 5 operators at any one time (at the last count there were 7 of us going in total) and the operating is pretty intense - we run to a sequence and it really is a team effort (signaller/controller, 2 x drivers and 2 x fiddle yard operators)

So, when I get back, assuming I've no repairs to do and as the weather is improving a bit, it'll be working in the shed that's on the agenda.  Finishing the platform surface will, I think, be the first job.

More after the weekend, though.

Rod

• Like 2

Hi all.

Back home from the Nottingham exhibition - well, got back this morning as I stayed in Nottingham last night, not fancying driving home after the show.  We had a good time, but operating Apethorne didn't allow a lot of time to look around - and it took some time to find your way around!!  I particularly liked a 4mm layout which I believe was Scalefour (although something I've read elsewhere indicated it was P4) - whichever, it had a superb hand-built 5-way point.  I tried to get a photo but couldn't get close enough and wasn't able to get back later when it may have been quieter.  The lighting in the sports hall that we were in was very poor, but fortunately "Apethorne Junction" has its own lighting so we could be seen!!!

I got my 131 at the show.  My pal who's been building it (Dave Hampson) brought it with him and he fitted the chip I supplied, so we had it running coupled to the 3-car 108.  I didn't get any pics at the show, but here she is, photographed on my layout tonight:

post-7571-0-36794500-1427144116_thumb.jpg

Just for comparison, here's the link to the photo the model's based on:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/12453155545/

Pretty good, isn't it?  The scratches on the white paint on the windows don't show up too well in the photo of the model, due to the light, but they look effective in daylight.  I'll try and get a proper photo in the next day or two.

I've got one set of steps to glue back on a DMU and then it's onto the station platform - unless I have an operating session first!!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 9

post-7571-0-36794500-1427144116_thumb.jp

Whoah Rod that is a Beauty !!!! an absolutely stunning model !!! Is that from an Easybuild kit ?

Do you need to sell something to recoup some of the funds ?  :friends: clue ........ one .... five .... one .... unit ...... diesel .... multiple ......  :this:

Happy modelling 

Craig.

Whoah Rod that is a Beauty !!!! an absolutely stunning model !!! Is that from an Easybuild kit ?

Do you need to sell something to recoup some of the funds ?  :friends: clue ........ one .... five .... one .... unit ...... diesel .... multiple ......  :this:

Happy modelling 

Craig.

Commandment number 11 - 'Thou shall not covet thy fellow RMWebbers DMU' :nono:

• Like 1

Rod

Having a horrid cold, I was having a sleepless night in a hotel in Poland last night, so followed your link to the original of your 131 - which was a happy distraction - I've learned more about blue era stuff than I had any desire to, but betters that than Polish TV....So thanks for the distraction!

One thought - perhaps if you put a suitably shaped piece of black cartridge paper inside the car, the window scars will look a bit more dramatic under indoor lighting?

Apologies if I missed it, but why did you want a 131? I thought they were Scottish, not Scouse!

Oh yes, one more thing, yes, it is pretty good!

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Happy modelling 

Craig.

Hi Craig.

Yes, it's basically an Easy build 122 kit but Shawn cut the sides for me specially. There's a drawing of it in one of the DMU books.

Thanks for the offer but the funds were there for the kit when I bought it!!!!!

The 115's going nowhere, apart from up and down my layout!!! Oh, and on "Apethorne Junction" next time it's out.

Rod

• Like 2