West Kirby Town: narrow gauge may be coming to town.

Dmudriver

If I read it right, they originated in 1938, and lasted well after my childhood - I don't know when they went out of service, but I guess in the 80's or 90's.

If you stood in the right place you could push one of the doors open with your foot, and travel Indian style through Moreton...

:)

Simon

Since you are being picky, the 131 standing on its own isn't an MU at all... ;)

I'll get my coat on the way out...

PS Nice pix.

Hi Simon.

I understand what you're saying but "multiple" doesn't refer to the number of vehicles in a unit, but to the fact that the units can be run in multiple with others with the same coupling codes system for control of engine speed and gear-changing.  Thus blue square, red triangle, yellow diamond, etc.   See the "coupling codes" section on this page:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_United_Traction_DMUs

Rod

Hi guys

It is certainly a change to see a model of a wirral location being from the wirral myself.

Are you going to model the 3rd rail, the reason I ask is because even though I mostly model in OO Gauge and currently experimenting with a working 3rd rail for a pullman unit which I must add does not have the correct cars in thr 6 car formation but does include a Hornby DMU/HST motor connected on 1 side to the 3rd rail shoes and the othe side running via the motors own wheels with extra pickups in neighbouring cars to assist with current collection.

It would be interesting to see an EMU running on the railway with working shoes powering the motor coaches.

There was a feature in Railway Modeller a few years ago where a modeller who's name I cannot remember made DMU's out of plasticard which was gently heated with a hairdryer over a wooden former to create the tumblehome at the bottom of the coach bodies and along with a motor mounted under the coach about halfway which drive the axles on both bogies via drive shafts has made very smart looking units.

I think he made a Class 150 & 153 but it set me thinking perhaps the same techniques could be applied to making EMU's too.

Hi Mersey507003.

No, I'm not planning to fit the 3rd rail - for a number of reasons, namely: my main interest is DMUs (as I used to drive them on the Llangollen Railway); there are no kits for 503s or 502s available (in 7mm, anyway); I don't fancy scratch building EMUs as I've a big layout and there's loads to do on it anyway.

As you say, though, a layout with a properly functioning 3rd rail would be interesting.  I built this layout because the trackwork at West Kirby has always fascinated me and adding parcels trains, loco hauled Mark 1s and a DMU stabling point creates more operating interest and is all believable (well, I think so, anyway.  Rule 1 and all that!!!)  I'm not sure just running 503s in and out all day would be that interesting!!!   The picture that Simond has linked to above is really good (and I've not seen it before), but there's 9 sets of 503s on it - and all the same apart from fleet numbers!!

Have you got a thread for the models you are doing with the working 3rd rail?

Rod

• Like 1

"If you stood in the right place you could push one of the doors open with your foot, and travel Indian style through Moreton..."

I've never heard that one before, Simon!!!

Yes, they were introduced by the LMS in 1938, with a further batch by BR in 1956;  see this link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_503   They were possibly red when introduced then green in early BR days.  They were withdrawn in 1984/5 and replaced by Class 508s and 507s which, I believe, are interchangeable, though I stand to be corrected.

Rod

Great picture that Simon, they where superb units those .................. Rod did you find out if anybody did one of those in 7mm ?

Hi Craig.

No, I've not been able to find anyone who does them in 7mm scale.   Ressaldar, who is a member of RMweb, may be able to give you more information - his group are building a model of New Brighton and want 503s to run on it.

Rod

I haven't yet as its still in the testing stage in order to iron out all the bugs before posting a few pics of it however if you want I could take some pics of the bogies with the shoes fitted and post a description of how they were made.

It would be interesting, I think, but I'd suggest you start a separate thread rather than add any photos or a description to this thread.

You could add a link to your thread on your messages.

Rod

Rod

I just think a 503 is needed, preferably in green, as I remember them...

these are all stripy...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=306540

best

Simon

Hi Simon just had a rethink for Rod on this suggestion, if the 503s  do make it to West Kirby Town "model life" than surely Rod should do the honourable thing in the name of going green and retire all his DMU stock ...... :devil:

Do you want to give me your Paypal details Rod, we can start with that smokey 115 thing  :drag:

Edited by muddys-blues

Hi all.

I've started the scenery!!!   Only a couple of very small steps, but it's started!!  I've bedded the water crane in, I've added a wooden crossing from the bottom of the platform steps over the stabling point headshunt, filled in with ballast the gap between the near siding and the headshunt and started to cut and lay polystyrene for the scenery base.

The first pic shows the water crane bedded in:

post-7571-0-99075500-1428099044_thumb.jpg

Behind it you can see the board crossing (not painted yet) and the ballast/ash ramp leading to it on each side of the track.  The next pic is a close up of the crossing:

post-7571-0-62896200-1428099057_thumb.jpg

It's made from coffee stirrers which find their way into my pocket!!  The reason for this is that the path to the signing on point and fuelling point was to go between the tracks, but the water crane has spoiled that idea (!),  so it will now cross the track and run along a small embankment outside the headshunt.

Finally, a view of the first polystyrene strips.  The intention is to build up 3 layers, sloping down to the track and cover it with papier mache.  Then paint and grass.

post-7571-0-42614800-1428099064_thumb.jpg

It was only while doing this I realised what a big job I've got: a 22' layout is nice operationally, but there's an awful lot of board to scenic!!  Still, slow but steady will be the watchword.  It was a hot glue gun that made me realise it!!  I'd originally used a spray can of heavy duty adhesive to glue the polystyrene, but all it did was melt the stuff!!  So I got out my new hot glue gun and went through 3 sticks of glue (which was all I had) in no time - and I was using it sparingly!  It works, though, so I'll get some more over the weekend.  The second layer, nearest the camera isn't where I meant it to be, but I'll just add more to it.  (I got glue on it and just slapped it down without thinking where I'd meant to put it).

The pic also shows the new ballast but it's only obvious if you compare it with a couple of the pix of the DMUs on page 32: there you can see the bare board between the tracks.

I'm going to get some right angle stripwood to protect the edge of the embankment.  Whether I'll put a fence on it is another matter as it is so tempting to lean on and the fence will very likely get knocked.  But that's for the future.  

So, movement at last!!  More soon.

Rod

• Like 7

Rod,

you might want to make the edging wood higher than the top of the embankment by a suitable margin, and scenically treat it on the layout side as a brick wall or something similar - this will be stiff enough to rest an elbow on, but still look ok "from the inside"!

HTH

Simon

Great work. You are certainly progressing faster than I am on Black Notley. I am hoping to put the first oat of primer on the signal box interior this weekend

Paul R

• Like 1

Great work. You are certainly progressing faster than I am on Black Notley. I am hoping to put the first "oat" of primer on the signal box interior this weekend

Paul R

Hi Paul is your layout set in an Area of Outstanding natural Beauty, so it needs to blend in with the surrounding scenery and fields ?  :mosking:

Edited by muddys-blues

Hi Rod, the layout is coming along nicely there, I agree with Simon, a facia board may save any "oh b*ll*cks" moments when clumsiness strikes ....

Happy modelling

Craig.

PS I sent you a text enquiring about the original Skytrex Station building you had on the layout 

Hi all.

Some more work done on the layout scenery - now the weather's better it's more conducive to getting out there.  I've fitted a fascia to the edge of the station area up to the control panel.  I fitted some 21mm square strip to the underside of the edge of the board and screwed the fascia to it - I didn't think screwing into the edge of the board itself was too good an idea.  I've then put 2 layers of polystyrene behind and that's how I'll leave it until I put the papier mache on.  Some pix:  first, how it looks from the control panel end:

post-7571-0-17243400-1428619392_thumb.jpg

You can see the top of the fascia is above the polystyrene, but not too high: it should allow for those "Oh, s***" moments.  The second pic shows where I've altered it slightly to allow for the Lenz hand-held controller to rest:

post-7571-0-52955200-1428619395_thumb.jpg

And the 3rd shows where I remembered that I needed to be able to get at electrical sockets right under the board:

post-7571-0-12516100-1428619400_thumb.jpg

Finally, a view from the concourse end:

post-7571-0-13273700-1428619404_thumb.jpg

The concept is that the path from the platform steps will run along the first layer of polystyrene, that to the right will be built up slightly to look like a bank.  Notice I use the word "concept" as opposed to "plan".  That's because I don't have a detailed plan, I'm making it up as I go along!  A typical example is that I forgot to allow for somewhere for the portacabin to fit so, since the photos were taken, I've added more to the second layer (near the control panel) so the cabin will sit on that.  The path will go up one or two steps to get to the area outside the cabin.  I'll have to mock up a fueling point and a fuel tank, just to get the area right and I think I'll do that before the papier mache.

So, more soon.

Rod

• Like 8

Hi all.

Some more work done on the layout scenery - now the weather's better it's more conducive to getting out there.  I've fitted a fascia to the edge of the station area up to the control panel.  I fitted some 21mm square strip to the underside of the edge of the board and screwed the fascia to it - I didn't think screwing into the edge of the board itself was too good an idea.  I've then put 2 layers of polystyrene behind and that's how I'll leave it until I put the papier mache on.  Some pix:  first, how it looks from the control panel end:

attachicon.gifP1030954.JPG

You can see the top of the fascia is above the polystyrene, but not too high: it should allow for those "Oh, s***" moments.  The second pic shows where I've altered it slightly to allow for the Lenz hand-held controller to rest:

attachicon.gifP1030955.JPG

And the 3rd shows where I remembered that I needed to be able to get at electrical sockets right under the board:

attachicon.gifP1030956.JPG

Finally, a view from the concourse end:

attachicon.gifP1030957.JPG

The concept is that the path from the platform steps will run along the first layer of polystyrene, that to the right will be built up slightly to look like a bank.  Notice I use the word "concept" as opposed to "plan".  That's because I don't have a detailed plan, I'm making it up as I go along!  A typical example is that I forgot to allow for somewhere for the portacabin to fit so, since the photos were taken, I've added more to the second layer (near the control panel) so the cabin will sit on that.  The path will go up one or two steps to get to the area outside the cabin.  I'll have to mock up a fueling point and a fuel tank, just to get the area right and I think I'll do that before the papier mache.

So, more soon.

Rod

That Morris Traveller brings back memories of mine I had in about 1981. XVO 426H. My first car and it was rotten as a sunken galleon. I had to replace the exhaust as it didn't have that distictive "Paaaaarp!" on the over run as there was 3 ft of pipe missing :jester: . I used to annoy my mate by paaaarping past his house on my way home from night shift at Astley box!

All good fun...

JF

• Like 3

Hi all.

I've made some more progress on the layout - on the scenery specifically.  As I've said before, It's the first time in my life I've tackled scenery so this is almost a "learn with me" thread!!

In my last post I'd added some fascia and glued the polystyrene (hereinafter "poly"!!) behind it.  As I've found out the poly is not too easy to get on with - the static builds up quite quickly and it sticks everywhere!! - I decided to do all the fascia and the poly behind it and hoover up before I start the papier mache.  So, first thing was to sort out the portacabin, fuel point and fuel tank area.  This is how it will look:

post-7571-0-34309600-1429301993_thumb.jpg

I've set them out here as the point where I reach over to couple up stock in the near platform is a reasonable way to the left of the portacabin so they shouldn't get knocked.  My plan is to use a Peter Clark fuel point and a Skytrex tank.  The path from the station steps will run along the front of the portacabin, behind the fuel point and then in front of the fuel tank so that the staff can get to the units over the crossings.  Here's a view looking back towards the station:

post-7571-0-92745200-1429302005_thumb.jpg

The next is a view from the end of the stabling point roads.  The bank will gradually disappear into a wall, with plenty of weeds along it:

post-7571-0-62182500-1429302018_thumb.jpg

Then, looking the other way towards the road bridge and the exit from the shed:

post-7571-0-42995500-1429302033_thumb.jpg

Just in front of the bridge the ground will be a bit rough, which is why the odd bits of poly are scattered about (not too easy to see, unfortunately).  Then, finally, a view of the whole layout in the shed, showing pretty well all of the fascia - and a lot of the junk that inevitably ends up under a baseboard!!  (not all, as there's a set of drums hiding under the right-hand end!!! - for sale, if anyone's interested!!)

post-7571-0-59688400-1429302043_thumb.jpg

It was while I was looking at this photo that I realised the trees had fallen over so I thought I'd see how they looked on the layout.  The next 2 pics show them there.  They're not good at all (my first ever efforts) but they do give an indication of how things could look.  Together with the grass sheet behind - which, really, is just laid out to flatten from the roll it was in - it gives me encouragement.  The tree by the signal I don't think is in the best place - not from a signal sighting point of view (I've checked that), but from an operating one.  Guest operators have tended to lean their elbow on that very spot!!  That was before the fascia was there, though, so they may now be discouraged.

post-7571-0-54072300-1429302052_thumb.jpg

post-7571-0-97185700-1429302063_thumb.jpg

The advantage of the trees there is that, from my normal operating point, the trains will be a bit hidden by the trees so it just creates a bit more interest.  There's still loads to do and I sometimes look at it all and my heart sinks, but I'm just going to take it  a bit at a time - I'll get there eventually!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 15

Good morning Rod, it's always nice to drop in on WKT and see your progress, the dynamic of the layout is changing already it looks good.

I am still not to sure of that 115 on "your" layout though ... Is it for sal..... Craig stop it !!!

Happy modelling Rod

Craig

Rod,

Lose the grass mat. It doesn't work in 7mm scale. I suggest you look at Gordon Gravett's book "Modelling Grassland and Landscape Detailing" published by Wild Swan. Unlike the small scales, there are no shortcuts to creating realistic landscape (or anything else for that matter) in  7mm scale.

Regards,

Chris

Not the 115, Craig, but there's a set of acoustic drums if you fancy them!!!!!

Rod

Ha ha, my Dad taught me how to play the drums, now if I was to buy the drum kit, after a few rolls & a single paradiddle I am sure my Wife would insert the drum sticks where the sun doesn't shine, so I had better pass on them.

Happy modelling

Craig.

Wow.

You can play the drums with sticks shoved up your @r5e. That's impressive... :)

PS What's the difference between a drum machine and a drummer?

You only need to punch the instructions once into a drum machine...

I am here all week: be thankful you are not.

Bum da bum tish .... thank you Simon  :declare: