West Kirby Town: narrow gauge may be coming to town.

Dmudriver

Hi Rod, good to see you back, can you get some more pictures of the papermache texture when it has dried, I have sacks full of this ... mainly for paper logs, but if it does the trick some of them can be used on my layout.

Best regards

Craig.

• Like 1

Nice to see progress, but I am worried that you have eaten into the cess at the side of the ballast.

Mind you, there are a couple of bits of stray paper in the four foot that look like someone flushed the loo...

Hi Simon.

I agree with you but I've tried to make a channel for the cess: it doesn't show up well on the pix unfortunately. The "loo paper" looks worse on the headshunt but most of it will brush (or hoover) off - says he, hopefully. I'll let you know!

I've had a quick look this morning and it's dried a little but still of a very "puddingy" consistency. Will leave the shed doors open to get air through it and try and dry it more quickly.

More soon.

Rod

Hi Simon.

I agree with you but I've tried to make a channel for the cess: it doesn't show up well on the pix unfortunately. The "loo paper" looks worse on the headshunt but most of it will brush (or hoover) off - says he, hopefully. I'll let you know!

I've had a quick look this morning and it's dried a little but still of a very "puddingy" consistency. Will leave the shed doors open to get air through it and try and dry it more quickly.

More soon.

Rod

Ok Rod - toooooooo much information, but saying that at least all the paper is of a white colour, if it had an earthy brown colour I would be getting worried, and I would have advised you to open the shed windows for ventilation ...  :stink:

Happy modelling

Craig.

• Like 1

The papier mache is drying - but very slowly.  I reckon it's only 0.5" thick at its deepest but it looks like it's still going to take a while.   I'm committed now to finishing things off this way, but I'd advise anyone else doing it to consider other methods for building up scenery first.   I didn't really - I just saw all this shredded paper and thought that would be the best way to go.  I think it'll be alright in the end - at least I've got things to do while it's drying: finishing the platform being one!!

Rod

• Like 1

The papier mache is drying - but very slowly.  I reckon it's only 0.5" thick at its deepest but it looks like it's still going to take a while.   I'm committed now to finishing things off this way, but I'd advise anyone else doing it to consider other methods for building up scenery first.   I didn't really - I just saw all this shredded paper and thought that would be the best way to go.  I think it'll be alright in the end - at least I've got things to do while it's drying: finishing the platform being one!!

Rod

A good use of some waste paper Rod. Once it does dry, you could always cover with ModRoc (plaster impregnated bandage) or similar as this will give a nice smooth finish.

D

A good use of some waste paper Rod. Once it does dry, you could always cover with ModRoc (plaster impregnated bandage) or similar as this will give a nice smooth finish.

D

......or even just some thin plaster mixed with PVA to give a flexible surface?

• Like 1

Hi all.

I've emptied my shredder bin and finished this part of the scenery base. But first, a couple of trackside phones have appeared, though as yet unpainted. The first is by the stabling point headshunt and is to enable traincrew to speak to the box for the release for the crossover.

post-7571-0-39808600-1437775023_thumb.jpg

This didn't exist in real life, obviously, as the stabling point didn't! However, the next one did: it's situated at the base of the Down Inner Home:

post-7571-0-63906500-1437775051_thumb.jpg

The next pic shows the papier mache (pm) from the station end.

post-7571-0-85905100-1437775081_thumb.jpg

The white area is where the fuelling point will be situated and just beyond it is a white ledge which will be the retaining wall holding up the fuel tank. The portacabin area is flat - though it can't be seen in the pic); I've pressed the base of the fuel tank into the pm to make sure it sits properly and I've also left a flat area where the tanker discharge point will be. What can be seen in this pic, though, is the path from the station to the portacabin, just to the left of the hook for the controller. It's like this all the way along. It'll probably be roughly surfaced - gravel most likely.

The next is a view of the narrow bit from the other end. I've deliberately brought it up to the edge of the sleepers as it's a siding and train crew access will be on the other side of the train, via the tarmac area.

post-7571-0-40993500-1437775108_thumb.jpg

Finally, I had some left over so put it on the other side of the track near the road bridge:

post-7571-0-42652100-1437775129_thumb.jpg

I've not gone right up to the bridge as eventually I'm going to replace it with something more like the real thing - this:

post-7571-0-19038300-1437775160_thumb.jpg

So, that's progress up to tonight. Let's see how long tonight's lot takes to dry - I used less water this time so it's a bit thicker and maybe will dry quicker???? Watch this space. Oh,...... and I also spent a fair bit of time cleaning up the track where the paste had got on it, before it dried. I'm a bit concerned about the effect the paste might have!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 11

Hi Rod, the phones are a nice touch, they look good, out of a matter of interest where is the bridge from ? is it a kit or scratch built ?

Best regards

Craig.

post-7571-0-42652100-1437775129_thumb.jp

Hi Craig.

It's a plaster kit which I've had for years and I can't remember where I got it from. It features in the first pic on this thread on my old layout, where it spanned 3 tracks. I've cut it down for this layout. Being plaster, it's rather fragile: if you look closely at the pic you can see where I dropped it and then repaired it - the wall and the supporting girder. It's rather crudely set in place at the moment.

Rod

• Like 1

Rod

That picture of the bridge is crying out for third rail and a 507!

Paul R

Hi Paul.

IF (and it's a very big "if"!!!!) I did add a third rail, I'd have 503s rather than 507s or 508s. They were running in the early 1980s, the last not being withdrawn until 1985.

Being honest, though, a third rail is unlikely. On the other hand, I've got a 205, so maybe displaced SR EMUS could find their way up North? It's nice to dream, isn't it??

Rod

I can see the cess path! :)

The first photo in post 927 I took to be of the real thing.

Hi Simon.

Thanks for the comment. I'm pleased that it does look pretty real, but do you not think the ballast looks overscale? Personally, I like it for normal viewing, close ups do make me wonder but other lads at the Club prefer finer stuff which to me looks like ash. Another interesting discussion point in this hobby!!

Rod

Hi Rod,

The composition, colour, texture and lighting have all come together in that picture. Although it may be a tad over scale, the ballast looks good. Whilst it may have been ash ballast, and you could always add a top layer to create that effect, the regular use by dmus and engines going for re-fuelling might have led to stone ballast there. A cheap way to produce ash ballast involves fine aquarium sand and a bottle of black permanent ink. You can add a few bits of grey fine scatter to the mix, to provide a little bit of colour, but ash ballast was basically very dark. In the 60s and into the 70s, the carriage sidings might well have been ash, but nowadays it seems as if stone and lots of it is the norm. Not sure when/if things changed.

As always, the key to realism is to find photos of the same era, company and location as your model is placed.

Hi Simon.

Thanks for your comments. All the prototype photos I've got show ballast in the sidings - even if it's not that thick. I doubt they'd have used ash as there hadn't been steam locos regularly (if at all) in the station since the LMS electrified it in 1938.

As you say, the key is relevant photos.

Rod

Rod,

Congratulations, you are achieving a lot and to a high standard, I watch with great interest, waiting for more on the signalling. :)

Hi leopard/Andy!

Thanks for your comments. You say you're waiting for more on the signalling: what is it you'd like to know? It's all up and running, interlocked and used all the time and the thinking and the construction has been chronicled over the last 38 pages. 38!!! - and therein lies the problem!!?? Would a brief recap do for you?

If so, it'll have to be later as I can't get at my photos on my Hudl but I can on my 'puter.

Rod

Hi Paul.IF (and it's a very big "if"!!!!) I did add a third rail, I'd have 503s rather than 507s or 508s. They were running in the early 1980s, the last not being withdrawn until 1985.Being honest, though, a third rail is unlikely. On the other hand, I've got a 205, so maybe displaced SR EMUS could find their way up North? It's nice to dream, isn't it??Rod

Yes it's good to dream. I am still mulling over adding OHLE to Black Notley. A bit like the early electrification of the Clacton and Walton branches which was done when still run with steam. I could run a maroon 309!

Paul R

• Like 2

Hi all.

Things carry on moving forward - if slowly!!  The wallpaper paste is drying out, but very, very slowly so I've been looking at what else needs doing.

I was at a bit of a loose end yesterday: I wanted to go to a competition at the archery club but it was pouring with rain and, I have to admit, I am a fair weather archer, so I stayed at home!!   The last photos I put on showed up blank bits of baseboard between tracks, so I decided to fill them in.  I only had some cork granules (no stone ballast left) so I thought I'd try those.  I did get them down - I used dilute PVA which seems to be drying a lot quicker than the wallpaper paste!!  Mind you, it is a bit thinner!!  The next problem is how to colour it without leaving it looking like cork granules!!  I'll paint it somehow and then probably sprinkle some grass on it, although the photos of the real thing don't show that much grass and weeds around.

Here's how it looks up to now:

post-7571-0-38530700-1438026153_thumb.jpg

The previous photos also showed up the metal plates that the signals are built on. I've not wanted to put too much ballast and glue on the for fear of gumming up the works, and to be able to get them out again if need be, but they don't look too good, in my opinion. So I've hit on the idea of using masking tape round the edges to keep glue and ballast out and also to make it easier to take them out: I'll ballast over the tape. This is how they look now:

In the sidings:

post-7571-0-55145800-1438026176_thumb.jpg

The tape in the middle is covering the gap where the operating rod from the Tortoise motor comes through the board.  It can't be under the point as a 3" x 2" cross member is in the way.  The microswitch should not be in the picture at all:  it's meant for the point in the foreground but I'm going to have to dig the ballast out for it and for the wiring - again, It's difficult to use the Tortoise microswitch because of the cross member.  I'm going to put hand point levers on top of these switches to disguise them (there's another 2 on the other stabling point points).

And by the Down Inner Home:

post-7571-0-92745000-1438026196_thumb.jpg

I can't do any more at the moment as I've no ballast left - I'll get some next time I'm in Preston. 

But still, some slow, steady progress.  I do get a bit down at times thinking how much there is to do but then I look at photos from 2 or 3 years ago when I started and progress is not too bad at all, so it cheers me up again!!!  I knew it would be a long job but it's nice to see things are moving along quite nicely.  I think also that, not having done any scenery before, the thought was quite daunting but now I've started it doesn't feel so bad, so I'll carry on.

More soon.

Rod

PS  The phones have been painted, weathered a bit and planted.

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 10