West Kirby Town: narrow gauge may be coming to town.

Dmudriver

Satus Quo....it`s not another one of their farewell concert`s again is it ..!! :mosking:

Keep rock`in Rod,& have a happy xmas.

Brian.

Apparently it's the final farewell of the electric guitars.  I suspect there be further gigs with acoustic guitars - they've done a CD already - some time ago.

Rod

• Like 1

Hello Rod, nowt wrong with an air guitar at a Quo gig, I have seen them a few times, and I still love listening to their 1976 double vinyl live at the Glasgow Apollo album ...... especially the few songs that Alan Lancaster sings on that album, Juniors Wailing & In my Chair live are some great 12 bar blues, I think I might dig out "Ma Kelly's greasy spoon" album out this afternoon !!!

Sorry for going off topic

Nadig Llawen

Craig

• Like 1

Hi Rod,

The 08 seems very much at home on WKT and Steve has done a top job with the Railtec numbers.  I think they look absolutely spot on!

It's been said before but credit where credit is due - the houses forming the backdrop are absolutely superb.  Once bedded in you will have a layout that must surely be worthy of an appearance in one of the Model Rail mags, or in the Guild mag.  Your last set of pictures show your high standard of modelling skills.

Please keep us up to date with the developments as it's always good to see WKT updates.

Cheers

Lee 

Just over 3 hours of this year left so time to wish everyone a Happy New Year and all the best in 2017.  Happy modelling next year.

And an amusing little story to end the year with (no grammar police about, are there?).   The lights on the Driving Trailer of the Thumper had stopped working so, as I had a bit of time to spare late on this afternoon, I thought I'd sort them out.  Took it off the track, turned it upside down -" could be pickups", so, .....up to the modelling room, multimeter, ..... no, not that.  Take bogie off. check wiring, clean wheels and pickups, looks OK.  Back to shed, put on layout still not working.  "Must be a soldered joint come apart or a loose wire".  Back up to modelling room, take body off, check wiring to/from chip - no problems: nothing obvious.  "Must be the LED/s - how to get them out?"  "Hang on, ..... chip!!  Don't tell me that's gone".  No signs of burning - "wait, ....... chip.........Ah!!!!!"

I remembered I'd altered the address of the unit a couple of weeks ago so I tried the trailer on the old address and, lo and behold!!!, the lights worked!!!!  What I called myself I will not reveal but I did sit there laughing at having wasted over an hour when the answer was that simple!!

Let's hope my brain functions a bit better in the new year!!!

Once again all the best to you and your families and loved ones.  More next year.

Rod

• Like 4

Hi all.

Hope everyone had a good new year break.  Mine was nice and quiet.  Even so, I didn't get much modelling done!!

I did have an operating sess ..... no, that's not true - a "play" ...... this afternoon, with a pal of mine who's an N gauge DC modeller.  It was a bright, but very cold day, but we were both well wrapped up.  Operating DCC 0 gauge models with differing acceleration and deceleration rates really taxed his brain so we broke off after an hour for a rest and a brew - then had another half-hour or so.

I ran a weekend service - which means the parcels stock, the 131, the 08 shunter and one diesel loco (50021 "Rodney" this time) were taken off and stored in the house:  The Ivatt and Wesh Dragon set and the Coal Tank were put on (the latter coupled to the inspection saloon).

I took some pics, but only of the start of the session: first, an overview of the stock before the platforms were emptied and all the stock there sent to the fiddle yard: followed by a closer pic of the platforms and the stock in them:

post-7571-0-03901300-1483655337.jpg  post-7571-0-10014400-1483655345.jpg

Finally, the fiddle yard all set up, ready to start:

post-7571-0-90806900-1483655354_thumb.jpg

On the right hand road are, from the front, the 03 and fuel tanker, the 37 (as spare engine to take out the Mark 1s when they return) and the Coal Tank with the inspection saloon.

After that, I was too busy setting routes and explaining addresses, deceleration rates and functions to take any more pics.  The 03 brought the fuel tanker in fairly early on and left it parked by the unloading point: it then acted as station pilot, reversing the Mark 1s.

Good fun was had by both of us!!  I don't think I've converted him to 0 gauge, but I have got him thinking about DCC!!!

More soon.

Rod

PS   This isn't getting scenery done, though!!!

• Like 15

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

It's been a while, so I thought I'd poke my head up over the parapet!!

No progress to report, but that doesn't mean I've not been busy.  There always seems to be something to fix when you have a large layout (and I'm realising mine is!!)  It's usually little things like dead bits of track - short bits where I didn't attach a wire to the bus because I relied on the fishplates.  However, over time the fishplates clog up with muck, paint etc and stop conducting.  Normally, the diesels are OK because they span the short sections but it's the shorter wheelbase kettles that find them.  So, those sections have now been wired to the bus.  Plus, my grandson revealed one the other week, driving the 08 to the far end of the headshunt.  The 08's got a stay alive and it stopped under control OK but wouldn't reverse out - presumably because the stay alive didn't have any power left.  That 7/8" of track now has proper feeds and works perfectly.  Moral - don't take shortcuts!!

Then I've had - still got, in fact - a problem with the interlocking with 2 points: that's in hand and I'll explain more in a few days.  This pic might give you a clue, though!!  (It's to do with the microswitches).

post-7571-0-57735100-1485715220.jpg

The sound on the 25 started sounding "funny" a week or so ago - sort of distorted.  So I turned the sound down but that didn't work.  There are 2x bass reflex speakers so I took the body off and both looked OK.  Disconnected them and found that one was 8 ohms and the other 4 ohms: checked the instructions - which say 1x 4 ohms or 2x 8 ohms - oops!!  Then tried them individually and it was the 4 ohm one that was distorted and hissing.  That's now in the bin!!  Whether it was the wrong combination or that it had just reached the end of its natural life, I don't know but the loco now has 2x 8 ohm speakers in and sounds OK again.

Then I found the front marker lights on the 25 weren't working!!  I'm still working on that one!!

Next, I've found the felt on top of the outside section is going a bit thin and water's seeping in a little: there's currently some plastic sheeting over it to try and help until the weather is a bit drier and I can out some sealant on.  Longer term (over the summer) I'll have to refelt it - with thicker felt this time.

All part of the joys of having a large operating layout - I'm not complaining, just chronicling (if there is such a word!!).

However, things are moving forward in that Paul Davenport of Streetscene models (who built the houses for me) is well on the way with a model of West Kirby signal box for me.  Here's a pic of the real thing - I don't know where I've picked it up from but if I've infringed anyone's copyright, please let me know and I'll remove it:

post-7571-0-05503000-1485714101_thumb.jpg

The actual model will have more windows blanked off, as here:

post-7571-0-18551600-1485714187.jpg

The name boards will read "West Kirby Town", which means the one over the door will be a bit lower than in reality but I can live with that.  Here's a pic of where it's up up so far, together with the coal and ash bin:

post-7571-0-77086500-1485714384.jpg  post-7571-0-57815400-1485714407_thumb.jpg

and finally, the unpainted lever frame which also needs some fettling first:

post-7571-0-02825800-1485714414_thumb.jpg

The levers that are reversed are allowing a departure from platform 2 with an arrival into platform 1 - a move which is possible and which I often do.

That's where I'm up to so far.  I'm chronicling (I like that word!!) this to pass on my experiences and hope it might help others avoid some of the pitfalls I've found.  More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rod,

The new signal box looks superb.  Paul really does do a good job with those. I've had an initial chat with him about letting him do the boxes for my new layout - leave me to concentrate on the stuff I can do reasonably well!

Are you using the microswitches for detection there, or just polarity switching?

Rich

Rod

Who makes this lever frame castings please?

Paul R

Hi Paul.

The other Paul tells me they're Skytrex but, in his words "They do need some fettling and lots of patience...."   They look OK to me, though!  

They come in lengths of 16 levers, apparently.  Although my box needs 65 levers, I'm settling for 64 on the basis no-one will notice there's one missing!!!

HTH.

Rod

Hi Paul.

The other Paul tells me they're Skytrex but, in his words "They do need some fettling and lots of patience...."   They look OK to me, though!  

They come in lengths of 16 levers, apparently.  Although my box needs 65 levers, I'm settling for 64 on the basis no-one will notice there's one missing!!!

HTH.

Rod

Sorry Rod but you have told us now :nono: - It just won't be the same knowing that there are only 64 levers in there rather than 65 :O  Hahaha

Cheers, Bob.

Hi Rod,

The new signal box looks superb.  Paul really does do a good job with those. I've had an initial chat with him about letting him do the boxes for my new layout - leave me to concentrate on the stuff I can do reasonably well!

Are you using the microswitches for detection there, or just polarity switching?

Rich

Hi Rich.

Glad to hear you're talking to Paul.  He does do a good job  (satisfied customer, etc)

As for the microswitches, I use those on the Tortoise motors (whatever their correct description is) for 1) polarity switching and 2) signal interlocking.  The 2 separate microswitches are to cut the power to the opposite motor to achieve interlocking: that's where I'm having the problems - of which more later, when I've got my head round it properly.

Rod

Nice to see that LMS signal box replicated

He's done a cracking job on it!

Re the lever frame; don't worry about it being one lever short, I won't tell anyone it looks like a GWR one instead of an LMS/REC one.. Oops.

Seriously though, very impressive!

JF

Nice to see that LMS signal box replicated

He's done a cracking job on it!

Re the lever frame; don't worry about it being one lever short, I won't tell anyone it looks like a GWR one instead of an LMS/REC one.. Oops.

Seriously though, very impressive!

JF

Aaaaawwwwwhhhhh, Jon!!!  I should have known a signaller would spot that!!   :)   I had checked them against pics of the actual ones in the box and realised they were different, but .....  I am hoping no-one's going to notice from normal viewing distance and through the box windows - and no, there won't be lights in the box!!  And (bit of a spoiler coming up), the diagram will be a representation of WKT's track layout, rather than WK's so no TCs or FPLs shown.   Watch this space!!

Glad you like it: Paul's done a few MR boxes in the past and as the main body of this box seems to be that design, he was more than happy  (something about MR/LNWR rivalries in LMS departments?).  It certainly looks good and it'll really add to the layout.

Rod

Hi Simon.

I've got it working but it just isn't particularly reliable.  Here's a part of the signal box diagram to explain it:

post-7571-0-20794100-1485814212.jpg

I can't have crossover 26 reversed when point 22 is normal.  22 has to be reversed first, then 26 can be reversed.  Similarly. to return 22 to normal, 26 has to be returned to normal first. 

The way I've done it is with the 2 microswitches shown in the first pic in post 1517 above.  One feed to each point (26 works as a pair) is routed through the microswitches.  When 22 is normal, the microswitch opens the circuit to 26, so the latter won't move: the circuit closes when 22 is reversed.  Similarly with the switch on 26.

What I am finding is that the position of the moving arm at the bottom of the Tortoises (whatever the correct term is!!!) is critical.  I'm not dead sure of the reason they don't move fully all the time but I often have to get my hand underneath and just push them over ever so slightly to get the switch to work.  Annoying when on my own, embarrassing with visitors!!

My solution is to put very small microswitches at the end of the point tiebars to do the same job: the point blades are less dependent on full movement of the Tortoises than the arm on the Tortoises.  As  I've explained above the 2 outputs/microswitches on the Tortoises are used for frog polarity and signal interlocking with the points so I can't use those.

If you, or any other follower, has a different/better idea, I'd be happy to consider it.

Whilst typing the last sentence, it did strike me that maybe I could do it via the switches on the control panel.  so here's a photo of the relevant switches to ponder on:

post-7571-0-51512400-1485816050.jpg

Right at the moment, I haven't a clue but it's possibly worth thinking about  - probably when I'm awake at 3 am or some other daft time!!

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 3