West Kirby Town: Parcels traffic has increased.

Dmudriver

Wow that Signal Box is a real stunner can almost hear the thump of the levers and the bells ringing .....well impressed ......along with the buildings along the back scene this is really coming on now Excellent  :sungum:

You've got me thinking now, gismorail - about the thump of the levers and bells ringing. I saw a new 0 gauge layout - Bridgewater - at Wigan last year and I am told that since then he has had sounds such as bells and levers fitted to the layout, the sounds being heard through a speaker in the signal box. The sounds are synchronized with the movement of the points.

He doesn't live far from me so I'll have to see if I can get an invite. Mmmm, I'm even now thinking which bell codes I'd need!!!

BUT - and I have to keep reminding myself of this - I need to do the scenery!!! As I've said before, it's not my main interest and if I'm honest, I'm apprehensive about it. But I need to bite the bullet and get on with it.

Watch this space!!

Rod 

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 6

Hi all.

Just a bit of an update, though there's not much been done thanks to an attack of sciatica over the last few weeks. I've never had it before - and don't want it again as it's so b****y painful!!!

Anyway ...... I'm setting up a production line on my workbench for rewiring 7x Peco points for the club's new engine shed layout: disconnecting the frog from the switch blades and connecting them to the stock rails. The frogs will be fed from Tortoise motors.

I'v also been playing arond with my Dapol 08. I wasn't too happy with the sound so what I've done is to ensure the speaker is right behind the front grill by putting a piece of sponge behind it, thus stopping the tendency to fall backwards and also blocking the space for any "booming" sound. It is better - plus I've altered the brake sound, increasing it. I've also altered the maximum speed on it. I've got Paul Chetter's protodrive sound file in it - which is fantastic - but the speed is set for a scale 15 mph. It seemed so slow!!! Now I don't go thrashing my locos and units around the layout but run them at what I see as a slow speed. This turns out to be a bit faster than prototype, based on Paul's system but it then raises the question of modelling scale speeds. "What I see" is relevant here, I think, ........... I won't go into here but it offers interesting food for thought.

It's now packed up ready to take to the club's Open Day tomorrow - one of the members has organised a "Dapol 08 Fest". It'll be interesting to see how many we get.

Finally, I mentioned in a January post that I was having trouble with the front marker lights on the 25. After a lot of testing (and frustration!!) and a chat with my pal who built it for me, I found the problem. These 2 pics show it - spotted as the loco moves into one of the sidings at WKT:

post-7571-0-93186100-1487973136.jpg post-7571-0-22611300-1487973145.jpg

One of the LEDs had blown and therefore opened the circuit so none worked. I've bypassed the blown one and the above shows the result. I'm working on the basis a blown bulb in the marker panel wouldn't be enough to fail the loco.

On a happier note, though, and completely unrelated to railways, I went to a show in Blackpool last night - "Buddy", the story of Buddy Holly. Absolutely fantastic. My partner and I knew most of the words and were singing along (people moved away for some reason!!!). It really brought back my teenage years (giving my age away now!!) - rock 'n' roll music, coffer bars, juke boxes, drainpipe trousers, drape jackets, crepe soled shoes (ka "brothel creepers"), Teddy Boys, quiffs, DAs. Can't remember much about trainspotting in those days!!!

Enough reminiscing, more railway modelling related stuff soon!!

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 9

Hi Rod,

Sorry to hear about the sciatica, horrible pain, I suffer mildly, but have medication to help.

I think the 25 has character with just one bulb gone, it adds to its personality.

As for the Dapol top speed, that's something I want to do, although I know that it's a scale 15mph, but it's too slow from my viewpoint, I'd like a slight increase.

Glad you enjoyed the Buddy Holly show.

Jinty ;)

Hope your better soon Rod, you could go and watch some footy that will soon make you forget about your back pain as you will soon realise your alegiance to one team who regularly let you down becomes either a retail pain in the neck or the ar$e.

We spoke to our Son last night he is off to watch his first game as a nuetral with 3 other lads who all support different teams, they are taking in the Exeter City v Blackpool.

The 25 looks great with 1 bulb "popped" a superb observation of the real thing.

Get well soon, best regards

Craig

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rod,

Sorry to hear your've not been well, but pleased to see the new tablets are having a positive effect.  That signal box looks superb - really enhances the layout and adds to the brilliant quality you've already achieved.  Well done mate.

Rich

Hi Rod...

Scrolling between the images shows a remarkable symmetry between the prototype and model....

The only discrepancy I can see is the speed limit sign :-)

Randall

Hi Randall.

The discrepancy is because the fret I used didn't have a "60" on it and "50" was the nearest to it.  You'll also see that the direction arrows on the "10" are 2 separate ones (hidden at the moment by the DMU) rather than the double-ended one.  Again, it's what was on the fret - but it's not unprototypical.

Rod

Hi all.

Thanks for all your "likes", etc on my post about the box.

It spurred me on to try and get a better comparison pic of the model and the actual. They are here:

post-7571-0-65290400-1488821912_thumb.jpg post-7571-0-26577300-1488821923_thumb.jpg

I am quite happy with that - although I can't get any further away as I was leaning against the board supporting the curve - so there's a bit of foreshortening (I think it's called).

Just a bit of playing around - or a challenge - you choose!!!

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 15

Tove/Brian, yes it's near the top of the list.

D9JEF, no!!!! I've had plenty of suggestions/encouragement to go 3rd rail but, IF at all, only when there's a 503 kit available - and even then I'd have to think long and hard about it. My username indicates where my interests really lie!!

Rod

• Like 3

Cries from afar "we want a 503..., we want a 503..."

:)

Noticable in the prototype photo of WKT, the ramps to lift the shoes on the double junction 3rd rails. Despite being a Wirral lad, and very interested in all things railway from an early age, I don't ever remember seeing them before. I guess you would rarely see them from a train, as you'd be travelling over them.

Best

Simon