West Kirby Town: narrow gauge may be coming to town.

Dmudriver

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

Well, things are just about straight at home now: alterations finished, new flooring down, new cupboard built and the lot redecorated!!  So now I can get back to modelling properly!!

I've fitted the remaining magnets in the platforms - at both ends: at the buffer stops for uncoupling incoming locos and at the outer ends for use when shunting stock in.  I'm yet to have a thorough operational test but so far it's looking good.  I've fitted the couplings to the Class 50 and I've used that to set the distance of the magnet from the buffers.   There's not a lot of room to play with, so driving will have to be slow and careful but that's like the real thing, anyway.  

However, I have come across one little peculiarity when testing.  I've put all 4 of the Mark 1s on the layout now and that alters the handling characteristics a bit.  The first video in post 1672 shows the 03 pushing 2 Mark 1s over the magnet and the loop rising and dropping over the latch - which is how it should work.  HOWEVER, with 4 Mark 1s, the weight is greater and there is more resistance (even with the very free running Easybuild bogies).  The buffers on the 03 are sprung and they get slightly depressed.  Only slightly, but enough that the hook lies under the latch hinge point on the loco and therefore it is prevented from rising above the latch.  The instructions do say that the hooks I've used are for 12.5mm buffers and normally that's what they are; but when depressed, they are slightly shorter that this.  The answer is probably having fixed buffers but I'll wait and see how the 08 performs when I've got the couplings on that.  (The 03 will normally just be the standby shunter now).

I'll do some proper movements with the 50 and the Mark 1s in the next couple of days - and once I get the hang of it I'll do some videos!!  I'll use platform 1 (the near one) first.  Platform 2 behind the awning will provide a significant challenge until I get the seagulls!!

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 3

A little bit of progress on the coupling saga - specifically the uncoupling problem when pushing.

I tried a piece of 1 mm plastic between the 03 buffers and the next vehicle.  It worked perfectly!!

I also checked the 50 pushing the coaches in and came up against the same problem.  The 08 has very softly sprung buffers and I can see I'll have the same problem there.

The answer is going to be shortening the couplings on the latch end of the locos.  How to do that is in the instructions, anyway.  Basically, you move the hook and latch some 2mm closer to the buffer beam and the effect is that the vehicle loop is not then jammed against the back of the hook on the loco.  I'll try and get some photos: it might be difficult but I'll give it a go.

Thank goodness they're just tacked in with superglue and not araldited yet!! Still not easy to get out but it's not impossible.

Some good news though - the uncoupling of the loco from an arriving train works fine - if you get it in the right spot!!  But practice will sort that out.

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 1

The 08 has very softly sprung buffers and I can see I'll have the same problem there.

Rod,

I had the same problem with the Dinghams on my Dapol 08. In the end, I made the 08 buffers solid as described here.

Now, coupling and uncoupling is reliable and I don't miss the sprung buffers. There's still buffer springing in most of my rolling stock, although with much stiffer springs, so there's usually some "give" in whatever the 08 is coupled to.

Duncan

Edited by Fastdax

Rod,

I had the same problem with the Dinghams on my Dapol 08. In the end, I made the 08 buffers solid as described here.

Now, coupling and uncoupling is reliable and I don't miss the sprung buffers. There's still buffer springing in most of my rolling stock, although with much stiffer springs, so there's usually some "give" in whatever the 08 is coupled to.

Duncan

Thanks for that, Duncan.  I'll have a go at fixing the buffers on the 08 the way you've done it. I'm really grateful for your comment and it does make me appreciate how helpful being on RMweb is: usually someone else has been there and done it and, importantly, is willing to share their experience(s).

I'll check the buffers on the 03, 50, 25 and 37 and see what can be done with those.  Watch this space!!

Rod  

Hi all.

Following Fastdax's comment a couple of posts above, I decided to fix the buffers on the 08.  I looked on his thread to see how he's done it but unfortunately I couldn't do it his way - whether by my tools not being suitable or my manual dexterity also not being suitable, I can't be sure!!  (Maybe both!!)

So I looked around for different ways to achieve the same effect and my eyes alighted on a block of foam.  I cut off some tiny pieces and jammed them - using a cocktail stick - into the inner buffer shanks.  Then I attached the shanks proper and the buffers did not move a fraction of a millimetre.  So, job done.

Now, I have to fit the Dingham couplings and make sure they work correctly.  As far as I can measure, they are between 12 and 12.5mm long from the buffer beam - which is correct.  That's the next job.

However, there have been a couple of hiatuses, the first of which is in the pic below:

post-7571-0-20569800-1506546109_thumb.jpg

"Can you fix my Nerf gun, please, Grandad?"  Then the flattery: "You're good at things like that"!!  So I tried but, unfortunately, I couldn't: we both looked at it yesterday (a chance to teach him a bit about circuits and using a circuit tester) and it seems to be a switch that isn't switching.  Unfortunately, it's not a shape I've seen before so for the moment the gun is on the "demic" shelf (my word, not his!!)  He's not too bothered as he's loads of others.

Behind the gun is the 08 and this has been sprayed a bit duller by a pal, with some very light weathering.  It looks good - hopefully I'll get a proper pic of it on the layout soon.

The other distraction was fitting one of Jintyman's speakers to the 08.  Wow, it doesn't half make a difference!!  The sound is now absolutely superb and I just want to get the loco back on the layout now.

Watch this space for a video or two, hopefully in a few days.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 2

Rod

There was an article in the news this week re the "bullets" for Nerf guns. Apparently there are cheaper alternative suppliers whose bullets are somewhat harder, and these can injure kids' eyes. Worth checking, as getting kids to consistently wear safety equipment can be challenging.

Personally, I'm very glad that phase has passed, I'm not treading on the damn things every day...

Atb

Simon

Rod

There was an article in the news this week re the "bullets" for Nerf guns. Apparently there are cheaper alternative suppliers whose bullets are somewhat harder, and these can injure kids' eyes. Worth checking, as getting kids to consistently wear safety equipment can be challenging.

Personally, I'm very glad that phase has passed, I'm not treading on the damn things every day...

Atb

Simon

Hi Simon.

Yes, I saw that article, too, and have discussed it with the kids.  Fortunately, they don't use the cheaper bullets and generally, they don't aim at faces.  Generally!! 

Rod

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

...Thank goodness they're just tacked in with superglue and not araldited yet!! Still not easy to get out but it's not impossible....

Rod,

I use Roket card glue to temporarily fix Dinghams in 4mm, should work with 7mm.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know you're well beyond this phase now, but I thought you might like to see a few pics I took at West Kirby in the early 80s....

Overview of the station with stabled units, from Bridge Road

post-21933-0-23923900-1508174036_thumb.jpg

Class 503 from the platform

post-21933-0-34928300-1508174074.jpg

A view of the station concourse

post-21933-0-43372000-1508174054.jpg

• Like 6

I know you're well beyond this phase now, but I thought you might like to see a few pics I took at West Kirby in the early 80s....

Overview of the station with stabled units, from Bridge Road

attachicon.gifStation Overview.jpg

Can we assume the 2nd train from the right has either just arrived, or about to depart ....

.... or if it's similar to the fiddle yard on my layout...

" Oh come-on, what's happening, I've just sent you (from the fiddle yard)  another train..."  :jester:

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

I've a feeling that the pic was taken on a Sunday (hence the full stabling sidings) and I think the unit in platform 1 has just arrived from Liverpool.  It was common to have a 3 car set temporarily stabled in the platform during off-peak hours with space for another three car unit to pull in at the Liverpool end of the platform. 

Come peak, the two would be coupled together and romp off to Liverpool.

If you look closely at the base of the starter signal, you can see the remains of the water column from when the line was steam-worked up to the introduction of the 503s in the late 30s.

Can we assume the 2nd train from the right has either just arrived, or about to depart ....

.... or if it's similar to the fiddle yard on my layout...

" Oh come-on, what's happening, I've just sent you (from the fiddle yard)  another train..."  :jester:

That's ok, just send two back!

• Like 2

Y'know, that's what the layout needs, a couple of rakes of 503's. :)

Best

Simon

Simon you could well be right, ...... cough cough .... I am not sure that 115 sits right on Rod's layout  :wink_mini: , now Rod not sure if this has been mentioned before  :scratchhead:  but if you wanted to sell something to fund a couple of 503 projects I know a good home for that 115  :friends:

Best regards

Craig. :sungum:

Now then, lads, give over, will you!!!  If an RTR 503 set appears, well maybe - but, let's be honest, that is highly unlikely, particularly in 0 gauge.  Even then they would still share the layout with DMUs (115 included, Craig, so  :no:, no sale!!!) and loco-hauled stock.  And I'd need a double deck fiddle yard!  Looking at that pic, there's 10 x 3-car sets there - all the same shape and livery.  I'd get a bit bored with just shuttling them in and out all the time, I'm afraid!!  The only variety would be 3- or 6-car sets.

Thanks for the pics, Hroth.  I like the one of the station concourse particularly but, no, I'm not going to try and model working sliding scissor-type gates!!! - life's too short!! (sorry if anyone's already done it!!!)

I would suggest, looking at the lie of the points, that the 2nd train from the right has just arrived from Liverpool.  Crossover 24 (the left hand blades on the single slip and the blades behind said train) would be set to normal for it to leave - they are reversed at the moment.

In other news ..... work is progressing, though (very) slowly!!  I've got the Dinghams working on the 50 now (it was a bit of a b****r!!) and the magnets are now all in position.  The first pic is of the magnets for uncoupling stock being shunted into the platforms:

post-7571-0-44150700-1508188261.jpg

The one in the top platform is set back so that the coaches are more on the straight when uncoupling, so making uncoupling easier than if it were opposite that in the platform below.  (The magnet for the sidings has been shown in an earlier post).

At the far end of the platforms, the magnets are a Class 50 length away from the buffer stops.  There's also one in the first siding, which could be used for arriving parcels trains if the platforms are occupied.  This is also a Class 50 length away.  The (temporary) tape is to help me stop in the right place!!  Pic:

post-7571-0-44169900-1508188294.jpg

I would have done a video tonight but it's a bit unpleasant out there with the remnants of Storm Ophelia around!!  All being well, tomorrow!!  (I have been practising the moves!!  Just like "Strictly".  Now there's a thought: Strictly Come Shunting!! - could start a trend: shunting to music!!)  Get serious, Rod!!  ........ 

I've fitted the magnets in the fiddle yard roads, together with some foam buffers: the latter being to protect the loops on the Dinghams.  The latter look a bit Heath Robinson, but they work and it's the fiddle yard, after all!!

post-7571-0-51160900-1508188318.jpg

2 more pics of the detail of the magnets (again a Class 50 length away) and the "ice cream wafer" buffer stops!!

post-7571-0-44966300-1508188337.jpg post-7571-0-54377900-1508188351.jpg

So, that's it for now.  More soon - Ophelia permitting!!

Rod

• Like 8

Good morning Rod, nice to see some piccy updates, just one question on the FY foam bump stops, due to your choice of persuasion of which half of Merseyside you follow, could you not get any blue foam ?

Best regards

Craig

Hi Craig.

1)     I convince myself it's pink, not red!!

2)     It was a freebie at the Club years ago.  One of the members brought some in so I helped myself to some on the basis that "it could come in handy"!!

You need to be watching Pendeford Yard Today on Bescot Television. The adverts are real class!!

Sorry for the hijack Rod

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty.

I did follow this thread for a while and the adverts were getting better and better!!   I don't remember the Strictly Come Sheepdipping, though!!  

No probs with any hijack: it's me starting Strictly Come Shunting.   [see videos to follow soon!!]

Rod

• Like 1

LOOK - NO HANDS!!!

Well, Ophelia did permit and I managed to make a video today.  In fact, it's 2 videos because my camera will only record for 8.5 minutes or so and then I have to start again.  I wanted one to show the full sequence with no manual coupling/uncoupling at all.  However, the first one ends with 2 locos sat side by side, uncoupled, so there's no reason to do anything underhand while the camera was off.  The total time is about 12.5 minutes!!

I have to say I'm rather pleased with the way the Dinghams work. There's no close-ups of them in operation as I wanted to show the operation of some moves on the layout.  If anyone wants any close-ups, let me know and I'll do them.

The operation is a bit rushed: I would normally go a bit slower and, in normal operation, there would be DMU arrivals and departures interspersed.  However, I wanted to show how useful automatic coupling and uncoupling can be.

I've added subtitles to the vids - you may need to click the box below the picture to see them, though.

Hope you enjoy them.   

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=_oHoczP7HAI

More soon.

Rod

• Like 14