West Kirby Town: narrow gauge may be coming to town.

Dmudriver

I've been doing a bit more painting and have now got a better idea how the fuelling point, etc is going to look.  There's obviously a fair bit to do yet - it's a bit like a building site at the moment! - but hopefully you get the idea.

A general view from the direction of the station:

post-7571-0-05213800-1511461873_thumb.jpg

And the first DMU draws alongside, ready for refuelling:

post-7571-0-28403500-1511461946_thumb.jpg

Some levels need sorting out and access to the portacabin door, too (with the ability to walk past it): steps are called for for access, I think.   I may have to widen the embankment for that. I was going to work on it this evening but it's a bit cold in the shed tonight - even though I've left a heater on a low level, just to keep the temperature around 8 to 10 degrees.

More soon.

Rod

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

There's another new kid on the block!!!  Here he/she (?) is, entering platform 1:

post-7571-0-66873700-1513015561_thumb.jpg

And resting after arrival:

post-7571-0-10140200-1513015581_thumb.jpg

It's a refurbished Class 101, reallocated to Chester depot temporarily to assist with the increasing commuter loadings between the Wirral and both Manchester and Chester.  This is it's first day on the service.

The reality?  It's been lent to me by a pal - who owns Oldham King Street Parcels - as it won't be running again on his layout for a few months (Thanks, Dave!!)  It's actually a Bachmann model with added detail, inside and out, complete with SWD sound chip.

It's been put to work immediately and is seen now on it's return from Chester in the afternoon/evening rush hour coupled to a 3-car 108, also in refurbished livery, approaching platform 1:

post-7571-0-54523700-1513015602_thumb.jpg

and then at rest with the commuters piling out onto the platform (where you can't see them!!)

post-7571-0-60769100-1513015646_thumb.jpg

And, finally, an overall view of the station area, with the 03 shunter just visible in the siding on the left waiting to take the empty fuel tank back to Birkenhead; the Mark 1 rake in platform 2, having arrived on the afternoon service from Birmingham, and the 205, 131 and 08 in the rear siding:

post-7571-0-04733700-1513015669_thumb.jpg 

This will make operation even more interesting and I'll try and make a video soon of the 101 in service - though it may be after Christmas now, so don't hold your breath!!

I've also had the SWD 37 sound chip updated to the latest version and, once I've got the hang of it, I'll do a video of that, too.  It's got the U-Drive feature, enabling you to maintain a slow speed but ramp up the engine sounds independently of the speed: it sounds very good!!  It's also got the auto-uncouple feature which works quite nicely with the Dinghams, but needs a bit of getting used to.  It works nicely in the siding but whether there's enough room in the platform roads, I don't know yet.  Will report back soon.

So, ......  that's it for now.  More soon.

Rod

PS   Note for Craig.    The arrival of the 101 does not free up the 115 for transfer!!!  The 115 is for the Birkenhead service and is needed for it's high-density layout - along with the 205!!

• Like 17

Hello Rod, oooh that 101 is nice I thought it was an Easybuild kit at first until I read your post, it looks really good with all the added bits, it looks the part, I wish I could have accepted 2 buttons, I clicked funny because your comment at the end made me chuckle, but I would have also liked to have clicked like ...... so I would like to place on record it also a like from me  :imsohappy:

I do like the blue stripe refurb livery .... even though it was never a practical choice of colour for trains !!!

Best regards

Craig.

• Like 4

Hi Paul.

Thanks for the comment about the houses. 

I just need to learn how to do some trickery with the pictures to get rid of unwanted clutter in the background.  Has anyone any suggestions for a free programme with which I could do that?

Yes, the 101 does look the part but it's possible I may get one of my own - an Easybuild one in "Reggie Rail" livery.  I'd bought some tickets for Peter Kay's new tour and now that that's cancelled I'm thinking of putting the money towards a 101 - when I get it back.  I can justify "Reggie Rail" livery as that was introduced in 1991 and the track layout at West Kirby wasn't rationalised (and the signal box closed) until 1994.   And that's without taking account of Rule 1!!!!

It'll be hard to give the unit back but that was the deal and as I'd like to keep helping operate his layout, I'll stick to it!!!

No progress on the video yet - it's still too cold out in the shed!!

Rod

• Like 3

Good morning Rod, I have an Easybuild 3 x car kit in the stash, mine is set to be a Bristol Based 1970 all blue set, the parts in the kit do look good, Shawn has incorporated some great brass etches for the roofs full off all the rivet detailing etc, highly recommended.

I have a picture in one of my books somewhere showing a 101 set in ex works condition having just been painted Reggie Rail livery in 1990/91, I will try and put it on here for you to drool over, I have to say there where some great examples of Blue / Greys in the 1980's, you could get away some of the Heart of Wales sets with the off set high intensity lights, or a visiting Tyseley blue grey set with black wrap round cab windows & red buffer beams ........ here is Chester set CH641 in a nice colourful hybrid livery.

Hmmm decisions decisions !!!

Best regards

Craig.

(copyright Mac Winfield from the WWW.railcar.co.uk website)

post-8721-0-51841300-1513502909.jpg

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 2

post-7571-0-68085900-1513728220_thumb.jpg

I'd just like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Also to thank you for the interest you've shown in the layout and for your likes and comments which really spur me on.

Happy modelling in 2018.

Rod

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Rod,

Just popped in to catch up on what’s been happening while I’ve been away! The layout is really coming on in leaps and bounds now! Well done.

What’s next on the agenda for you?

Rich

Hi all.

Paul's question above has sparked me into life (well, sort of!!).  And thanks for your kind comments, too, Rod.

It's almost like hibernation and coming out thereof!!  I've not done much since November at all.  Partly because of Christmas and New Year, partly because the shed is pretty cold** and partly because I've had a couple of chest infections and I've just wanted to stay in the house where it's warm!!!  I admit I've had the odd "play" (just to check everything's OK, you understand!!)

However, plans are whirling round in my head.  I mentioned above about getting a 101 in "Reggie Rail" livery: well, since then I've wondered about a Heljan 128 (but I'm not too sure about the look of the bogies); a 121 - with maybe a trailer car; a 105 or a 129.  I'm not in the "refining my ideas" stage yet!!  The 101 does still appeal, though: however, I think I need a couple of proper operating sessions  using the visiting 101, just to be sure the layout isn't overcrowded.  (Bearing in mind I've got a couple of kettles and a rake of coaches not being used because otherwise the layout comes close to gridlock!!)

I'm also thinking of trying an ABC Gears traction motor on whichever unit I do get (other than the Heljan, obviously!!).  Their website reckons a single motor might just be OK for a 4-coach train, so a 2-car DMU should be no problem.  I've never used one before, always using the diesel bogie gearbox with Delrin chain to the other axle, but the traction motor is quite a lot cheaper.  Has anyone had experience of these traction motors?

As for actual work, as opposed to pipe dreaming, I need to spray the track to hide the magnets and to freshen up certain areas which don't look right and I've also bought some mesh fencing which needs fitting along the back siding by the houses.  Then I could do with getting some sort of greenery onto the boards to make it all look more realistic.  Although regular readers will know that scenery isn't really my thing, I do need to bite the bullet.  Mind you, I suspect I said that 2 or 3 years ago, too!!!

There's also a 4-wheel parcels (ex-fish) van to spray but that will probably wait until the weather's a bit warmer.

So, plenty to be going on with but, to carry on the hibernation theme, I'm still blinking my eyes in the daylight, stretching my muscles and eating to build up my strength.  So, .....  watch this space!!

More soon.

Rod

**  I do have a heater on permanently but it's on low, just to maintain the temperature to around 5 - 10 degrees C: usually just under 5 in this recent weather!!

• Like 2

If the O gauge Heljan 128 is as well built as the OO gauge examples, you should be able to lug a considerable amount of tail traffic with one.

Its a pity that even with your re-imagining of West Kirby, I don't think much more traffic than could be contained in a sole 128 would be generated inwards or outwards!  Before they redeveloped the station buildings, there used to be a Red Star parcels office there, it wasn't the busiest of places....

If the O gauge Heljan 128 is as well built as the OO gauge examples, you should be able to lug a considerable amount of tail traffic with one.

Its a pity that even with your re-imagining of West Kirby, I don't think much more traffic than could be contained in a sole 128 would be generated inwards or outwards!  Before they redeveloped the station buildings, there used to be a Red Star parcels office there, it wasn't the busiest of places....

Hi Hroth.

That's a fair comment about the amount of parcels traffic to the station at West Kirby, but you've probably missed my imagined scenario from the start of the thread (it was a few years ago!!).  I've assumed that the Cadbury's factory at Moreton was closed and taken over by a mail order company.  Unfortunately, the facing crossover allowing access to the site from the Birkenhead direction is out of use at the moment so trains have to run to West Kirby to reverse and gain access to the site by the trailing crossover in the opposite direction.  As there are no run-round facilities at WK, a shunter is outstationed from Chester to reverse loco-hauled trains until the facing crossover is repaired.  So, a 4-vehicle parcels rake and a 131 (at the moment) are justified - they just don't get unloaded at WK.   

Hope this explains it.  In all cases, though, I invoke Rule 1!!

Rod

PS  I have a feeling that before the Hooton branch closed, freight traffic for Cadbury's was brought in via that route.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think I've read it somewhere.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

THE JOYS OF LAYOUTS IN THE GARDEN!!

Maybe that makes the following sound a bit more serious but the weather has affected the outdoor section.  

I've realised I've lost my modelling mojo for a month or three (for various reasons) but, having realised it, thought I'd better do something about it!!  I remembered noticing the felt on top of the outside section was looking a bit sad last summer/autumn so thought I'd better check and see if there were any problems inside the outside section - if that makes sense!!.  Lo and behold - what did I find?  

post-7571-0-18782000-1517077987.jpg post-7571-0-78170900-1517077996.jpg

Water not pouring in, but seeping in - and having done so for a while.  So, off to B&Q for some thicker felt - I used the thinnest stuff last time and it hasn't lasted - and some flashing tape.  I had planned to do the whole of the outside section yesterday while the sun was shining but ........ the best laid plans, and all that!!  So I decided to do the part nearest the shed which was suffering the most.  (The part nearer the house is to some extent a bit more protected from the prevailing wind and weather by the house next door.)  The result is here:

post-7571-0-87812800-1517078003.jpg

I've put a couple of sheets down the back, to protect the rear wall  and then a sheet overlapped on the top (see the bottom right-hand corner).  Then I've used flashing tape to cover the joins.  The flashing tape was a bit difficult to stick down (the weather being dampish and cold, even though sunny) but it's stayed stuck so far!!

Now I've done that, there's more enthusiasm for getting stuck in on the layout again, although that will probably take the form of a few play operating (!) sessions first.

Watch this space.  More soon.

Rod

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Rod, good to see you're 'back on track' I always check in to see what's happening.

I have a request please, can you post a pic, straight on, of the centre car of your 205?

Looking to do one in '4mm' but having difficulty finding decent pics or a drawing of the underframe equipment.

Thanks.

Hello Rod, good to see you're 'back on track' I always check in to see what's happening.

I have a request please, can you post a pic, straight on, of the centre car of your 205?

Looking to do one in '4mm' but having difficulty finding decent pics or a drawing of the underframe equipment.

Thanks.

Thanks, Andy.

Yes, I'll take a couple of pics.

Watch this space!!

Rod

• Like 1

Rod

From the review of the 128 in Hornby mag, Heljan have introduced a self contained motor bogie that doesn't intrude into the body. Given the side frames simply pull off I think this could be a great solution to a number of EMU/DMU problems. -I am thinking of one of these to power an EMU. Now it just needs Howes to sell them as spares!

Paul R

Thanks.

Hi Andy.

I hope these are what you are looking for.  Did you want one end-on, too?  Or will one from each side and one underneath do?  The side ones are virtually the same apart from the position of the tank underneath.

post-7571-0-80436600-1519503514_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-43390600-1519503537_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-13786500-1519503552_thumb.jpg

HTH. 

Rod

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And now for something a bit different.  

The Ivatt 2-6-2T which normally hauls "The Welsh Dragon" preserved set is having some work done on it, so the preserved ex-LNWR Coal Tank has been called in to deputise.  Here's a pic of the set coming into platform 1 on the first trip from New Brighton.  It's a Sunday, witnessed by the 205 on the stabling point with a 37, and a parcels rake in one of the near sidings.

Unfortunately, someone at the preservation depot forgot to put the headboard on!!  Or maybe the lamp irons are at a slightly different spacing to those on the Ivatt and it wouldn't fit!!

post-7571-0-08754200-1521932667_thumb.jpg

Here's the set ambling down the platform, drawing to a halt:

post-7571-0-02264700-1521932680_thumb.jpg

And finally at the buffer stops:

post-7571-0-97466900-1521932696_thumb.jpg

The 115 is running on the Birkenhead services today and can be seen in the background, in platform 2.

And yes, I must do something about the footboard on the first coach!!

More soon.

Rod

PS  That lettering and number is authentic: here is a pic of that loco at Edge Hill in just that livery - but somewhat dirtier!!!  It's just that bit different.

post-7571-0-51655600-1521933563.gif

I don't know where I found the picture on the internet: if I've infringed any copyright, I'll remove it.

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 10