West Kirby Town: narrow gauge may be coming to town.

Dmudriver

Hi all.

Concourse spraying done!!  It's a bit darker than I hoped (I've just used Halfords Primer!!) but I'm reasonably happy with it.  It's not the same as the concrete on the platform edges or the steps leading down to the track and I may alter the latter eventually, but all in all, I'm not disappointed.  

Here's some pics - after I've reglued the pillars, put the phone box and ticket collectors' booths back and added the platform canopy:

post-7571-0-54057600-1528059622_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-14098000-1528059653_thumb.jpg

And, although you can't see the concourse, I couldn't resist taking this one looking down the platform:

post-7571-0-82318500-1528059691_thumb.jpg

And, just for the fun of it, here's a photo of the real thing from a similar viewpoint:

post-7571-0-16339400-1528060229_thumb.jpg

That one was in 2012 and it had been modernised a bit from this:

post-7571-0-72892900-1528060321_thumb.jpg

Finally, a general view of the business end of the platform and of the concourse:

post-7571-0-77991400-1528059739_thumb.jpg

In the first 2 pics, and the one above, you can see in the background a concrete slab fencing.  The model is Peco SR fencing but it represents what's actually there - in the 70s (just visible on the left):

post-7571-0-96716200-1528060524.jpg

and in 2012:

post-7571-0-30133700-1528060704_thumb.jpg

That's all for now.  I'm going to start looking for platform fencing on line now - I had intended to look at Doncaster yesterday but ……..  well, you know the story!!!

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

A bit of an update: I've been quiet but not completely idle!!  I decided that the area in front of the houses backscene needed a bit of attention as it does become visible in photos.  So I've laid down gravel as a surface and added some vegetation around the base of the walls and the fence.  I think I will need to tone down the colour of the mesh fencing, too - a light spray with matt black is probably in order.  The lower slab fencing to the left will be topped with 3 strands of wire to bring it to the same height as the mesh.

Not done that much yet, but I need to put the fence posts in first then add gravel and vegetation after that: the actual fencing will be fitted later.  Pics of progress so far:

post-7571-0-16756000-1529932786_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-24966900-1529932439_thumb.jpg

The colour rendition isn't quite right (they were taken on my iPhone) - the gravel is greener in the pics than in reality.

And something else I've learned - I've found one drawback of doing scenery at the front of the layout first - leaning over means I pick it up on the clothes I am wearing!!  Even though I've got my leaning bars!!  I did wonder at the time, but just wanted to get something done after years of prevarication!!!

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 18

Hi all.  Just a bit of an update.

I've wanted to have a few operating sessions in the past week, but it's been so hot I've had to give up!!

So I've done a bit of work in the cool of the house - painting more fence posts and trial painting/weathering a length of the fencing.  Here's a couple of pics of the latter: first from above the platform canopy and then from below said canopy:  (It's not properly fitted yet, just laid in place to see the effect)

post-7571-0-24486400-1530481645_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-39472900-1530481665_thumb.jpg

I think it looks much better than the brand new state of the last pics.  I'm beginning to quite enjoy this scenery side of layout building.  Mind you, trees are looming on the horizon and that looks a bit off-putting but I've a fair bit to do with the fencing first - round and beyond the signal cabin.

Yesterday I went out to run on a layout where it was found the heat had had an effect.  Two handbuilt points had suffered.  However, the problem wasn't the points themselves but rather admitted to be inadequate or non-existent expansion gaps:

post-7571-0-53849700-1530481680_thumb.jpg   post-7571-0-73762100-1530481688_thumb.jpg

The points are firmly fastened to the baseboard so the stock rails have gone the only way left to them - along the slide chairs!!  

We've all been there at some time, I'm sure!!  I did check my own layout when I got back but so far all is OK - been there, done that, so I've left decent gaps.

More soon.

Rod

• Like 6

Rod that's a real pain. Something I am watching for on Notley as its still set up in our conservatory which can hit 40 degrees during the day while we are at work. So far all ok but then I don't have any soldered track.

My daughters boyfriend has suffered problems with his Peco OO track despite him having insulated his loft and suffering lower temperatures. He even left expansion joints. Just goes to show. Hope you can fix WK quickly

Paul R

• 1 month later...

Hi Rod

Did you sort your track warping

All the best

Paul R

Hi Paul.

Thanks for your message, but thankfully the warping wasn't on my layout.  It was on a layout that I went to run on - which I won't name as I don't want to embarrass anyone!!!!  Whether it's been sorted since, I don't know.  Certainly one of them put a running line out of action but the other one is the other end of the crossover (from the first) to a new section of the layout which, at the time wasn't used for running (electrics still to finish).

I've checked mine and it's OK (well, so far, at any rate): I've left big enough expansion gaps (experience!!).  

ATB. 

Rod

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rich.

Yes, I'm extremely pleased with the pictures, thanks - and the commentary with them isn't too bad, either!!

The picture Rich was replicating is on the thread somewhere: I've tried the first 6 pages with no joy and, as I've not really time to go through another 60+, I'll put it back on here again.  It's this one:

post-7571-0-26924900-1534531779_thumb.jpg

Rich's are not quite from the same angle - he couldn't get the camera over the DMU stabling point - but the layout isn't far off the original!!  (well, apart from no 3rd rail or 503s!!!).  

We did, as Rich says, have a good afternoon and the weather was kind to us, too.  

If anyone else would like to come over, and do a bit of running - and chatting - and photographing - with a visit to the village pub or tearoom thrown in, just PM me.

Thanks again for the pics, Rich.

Rod

PS  Rich's visit has reawakened my modelling mojo, too!!  Except I can't do anything this weekend as Everton are at home on Saturday and I'll be there and then I'm volunteering at the Ribble Steam Railway on Preston docks on Sunday.  Whoever said retirement was boring??!!

• Like 4

Hi Rod

Have been away from your thread for a while - no particular reason just have been busy on my own layout. You have made fantastic progress on WKT which looks very realistic. I particularly liked the shots under the station canopy and the fence in the background looks really nice. Will try in future to keep up with you as you post more on WKT. Great job - keep it up!

Rod

Rod,

What were you saying about 503’s?

:)

Simon

Yeah 503's, bring it on

I might have to have a chat with Michael Hughes at Telford  :O

PS like the photos bring back so many memories of my teenage years

Edited by Park
  • Like 2

Yeah 503's, bring it on

I might have to have a chat with Michael Hughes at Telford  :O

PS like the photos bring back so many memories of my teenage years

Or possibly Allen Doherty at Worsley Works, he is an obliging chap.

Best regards

Craig

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

HI all.

It's been a month since I put anything on here!!  All I can say is it's been busy - and not much of that has been railway modelling.  However, now the schools have gone back and life is settling back into a normal routine, I've been in the shed again, modelling.

The fence posts along the back of the layout are gradually progressing - here's a pic of where I'm up to:

post-7571-0-70891700-1537225149_thumb.jpg

The apparent blank bit in the middle is where the fencing has been threaded in front of the posts to hold it in place - temporarily.  Around that area, the fence is very close to the corner of one of the buildings:  I'll have to block that off with grass and bushes.

The other thing I've been working on is the interlocking of points 22 and 26 (26a and 26b operate together as lever 26).  Extract from the signalling diagram here:

post-7571-0-53864400-1537225459_thumb.jpg

Obviously, we don't want 26 reversed when 22 is normal as it makes for a conflicting movement.  Up to now the interlocking has been effected by a microswitch on each Tortoise motor, but the one on no. 22 motor had been operating very erratically, necessitating frequent hand interventions under the base board.  Not easy to get at and not very professional looking when visitors are present.

So, I decided relays were the answer but hadn't a clue what to use, or how to wire them up.  I've had great help from Simond of this parish, advising me on the wiring, specs for the relays, etc.  The relays arrived today and they're now fitted and working correctly - so no more possible conflicting movements!!  It wasn't quite as easy as I have made it sound as I spent quite a few hours taking the old microswitches out, rewiring the Tortoises so that they worked properly without the interlocking and then sorting the wiring out for the relays: then, when I got those, I checked and rechecked each step as I set them up.  Good exercise for the grey matter, though!!

Next step - on with the fencing: I want to get the posts round the back of the signal cabin, then put in the gravel and vegetation before I actually attach the fence to the posts.

Watch this space!!  (It might be another month, though!!!)

Rod

• Like 5

PS

Looking back to a couple of posts - Park and Craig. 

Did you make any progress on 503s at Telford?  Not that I have plans to put in 3rd rail and operate 503s instead of my DMUs, but I ask out of interest and, ... well .... you never know!!

Rod

• Like 1

Hi all.

It is with a heavy heart that I pen this post.  It is the end of an era.  (Sob, sob   :cry:)

Maybe the picture will explain it:

post-7571-0-09335700-1537292838_thumb.jpg

It's the beginning of the demolition of my 11 year-old grandson's train set/model railway which I built for him 8/9 years ago.  That's my granddaughter hoovering up the last of the ballast that she'd been scraping off after I'd taken the track up this afternoon.  (a real team effort!!)  Plenty more to go yet!!  We had to stop because she was going swimming!!

He's lost interest, basically, and has done for over a year now - karate, football, Fortnite and now rugby at his new secondary school have taken over.  Added to which the family want the garage as a games room/bar and the rest of the garage stuff is going into a new shed.

However, all is not completely lost.  My son and grandson have admitted it's really sad, so everything is being kept in the loft and nothing is being thrown away.  When/if it will see the light of day again is, of course, another question!!

And yes, those are little Everton kits you can see framed on the wall in the background - my grandson's on the left, my son's on the right (tho' what the postbox is, I haven't a clue!!)

But, hey-ho, life moves on.  In reality, just another day in the life of a railway modeller and a granddad.   

I can assure you, however, that WKT is going nowhere and updates will continue as before after this little interlude.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver

• RMweb Gold

Rod

I am crying into my cuppa....... :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Don't despair.... the lad is only 11 years of age .... he has sooooo much ahead of him...... wait until he discovers girls !!!!!

Then adulthood comes along and he will once again rejoin the fraternity and become a young modeller .... again

If he has a skillful builder like yourself he will be serving a long apprenticeship

Jim 

• Like 1

Hi Rich.

Yes, I'm extremely pleased with the pictures, thanks - and the commentary with them isn't too bad, either!!

The picture Rich was replicating is on the thread somewhere: I've tried the first 6 pages with no joy and, as I've not really time to go through another 60+, I'll put it back on here again.  It's this one:

attachicon.gifWest Kirby Station 1976 - Copy - Copy (1024x725).jpg

Rich's are not quite from the same angle - he couldn't get the camera over the DMU stabling point - but the layout isn't far off the original!!  (well, apart from no 3rd rail or 503s!!!).  

We did, as Rich says, have a good afternoon and the weather was kind to us, too.  

If anyone else would like to come over, and do a bit of running - and chatting - and photographing - with a visit to the village pub or tearoom thrown in, just PM me.

Thanks again for the pics, Rich.

Rod

PS  Rich's visit has reawakened my modelling mojo, too!!  Except I can't do anything this weekend as Everton are at home on Saturday and I'll be there and then I'm volunteering at the Ribble Steam Railway on Preston docks on Sunday.  Whoever said retirement was boring??!!

Was it the sepia-toned view of WK from the bridge in the early 80's I posted a while ago?

To be honest I can't remember when I posted that either!

Found it.  post #1689, 16th October 2017 @ 18:16

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54751-west-kirby-town-at-last-some-scenery/page-68&do=findComment&comment=2889992

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

Rod

I am crying into my cuppa....... :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Don't despair.... the lad is only 11 years of age .... he has sooooo much ahead of him...... wait until he discovers girls !!!!!

Then adulthood comes along and he will once again rejoin the fraternity and become a young modeller .... again

If he has a skillful builder like yourself he will be serving a long apprenticeship

Jim 

Actually, Jim, there is some hope.

One of my locos is a Class 50 and I had it finished as 50021 "Rodney" - a real bit of self-indulgence!!

My son said, a couple of years ago, "when you go to the great terminus in the sky, we're having that, even if we get nothing else!!!"** ("We" being grandson and him).

So, yes, there's hope!!!

Rod

**  We call a spade a shovel in our family!!!

Edited by Dmudriver

Found it.  post #1689, 16th October 2017 @ 18:16

http://www.rmweb.co....68#entry2889992

Thanks.  You were quicker than me - I had a quick look but didn't go far enough back!!

My concourse doesn't look anything like the real thing, though:

post-7571-0-67700900-1537308483_thumb.jpg

I'm not going to change it, other than to add fencing along the edges (eventually!!)

Rod

• Like 3

Hi all.

I was going to entitle this post "Don't fence me in"!!!

The fence posts along the back of the layout are progressing nicely, but no pics until I've used up all the ones I've got.   I've enough to go round the signal box and then a few (scale) feet beyond.  However, I've got the fencing bug now and so I sent off for these:

post-7571-0-51572100-1537999021_thumb.png

I'm planning to get the station area finished asap and that will then leave me the "country" end to think about and, eventually, work on.   I've decided on LNWR fencing as I've photos showing both vertical and Midland-style fencing around the concourse area.  Here's one of them:

post-7571-0-48976400-1537999200_thumb.jpg

The vertical section isn't quite the same as the LNWR but I thought the angled Midland style was too obviously Midland - which West Kirby definitely wasn't!! 

The ramp section in the first pic is to go in front of the portacabin: there is a walkway but it will be sloped to get up to the height of the door.  I don't want anyone falling down onto the track!!

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 6