West Kirby Town: Parcels traffic has increased.

Dmudriver

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you've started......not too late I hasten to add.....:lol:

Now that's perfection for you ..... I hope your going to check all angles with that 90 degree right angle

Carry on Rod ...... The punters won't notice as they are all in lockdown

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keithpr2 said:

Nice to see operational proceedures being followed

Hi Keith.

Thanks for that.  On the subject of operational procedures, though, should I be stopping the loco about 6' from whatever it's coupling to and then moving slowly forward (with a toot before moving)?

Although we didn't multi-up often at Llangollen, when we did (mainly at DMU Galas) we would stop about 6' short, then move forward (after sounding the horn), compress the buffers and apply full brake before the buffers pushed you back again (been there, .... etc!!).  Then, after handbrake on, engines stopped, key out, get the second men to go under and do the coupling up (although I'd done it as a second man!!)

To me, getting the operational procedures right is just as important as the number and spacing of rivets!!  In fact, if I'm honest, more important as, with locos and stock, if they look right from normal viewing distance, that's good enough for me.  You can't really miss incorrect operating procedures, though - plus driving too fast and braking too sharply!!

You too, stay safe.

Rod

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

There was a link to a BTF film on the Brent thread (I think) which showed a loco backing down onto coaches at Paddington.  Unless it was the way they cut and pieced the film together it definitely looked like the loco came straight on and compressed the buffers.

Back to early 70s (my fist recollections at Newcastle Central) I think the stand back might have been more like two feet before close up, compress buffers and apply brake.  (But that is 50 year memory so may not be accurate.)

Paul.

• Thanks 1

Really liked the video Rod. It was nice to see a programme of arrivals and departures acted out as in real life. Well done.

I think that I will have to do something similar with Ramchester but I am not sure whether my camera is up to it. Will have to investigate further.

Keep up the good work, WKT is a fabulous layout.

Rod

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/04/2020 at 16:52, ianwales said:

Hi Rod great video, really enjoyed watching, just one request, would it be possible for you to take a side on photo of the Class 131 please?

Ian

Hi Ian.

Yes, I can do it but it will be a day or two as I'm videoing again and I've taken the 2 DPUs off the layout.  

Hopefully it won't be too long.

Rod

• Like 1

Hi all.

I'm making progress - surprising how much modelling you can get done when life is in lockdown!!  I've straightened the fuelling point canopy and the platform lamp posts - pics here:

660381921_IMG_20200418_214356-Copy.jpg.18cb5cbfcd1d581bb99da83236808443.jpg

1766427037_IMG_20200418_214421-Copy.jpg.ebd111fecb246ab1507788eac52ee8f0.jpg

Apologies for the fuzziness but I took them tonight on my phone in artificial light.

I've also been videoing - done about another hour's worth yesterday and today.  Now I've got to edit them and that may take a day or two: I'd prefer to do it when the weather's poor and I can't get outside.  As the forecast seems to be good, it may take a bit longer!!  Anyway, I had requests for more loco action, so here's a couple of taster pics:

430768630_P1060324-Copy_Moment.jpg.9455e036ae1ed8fbe4d018592109d5fa.jpg

P1060334_Moment.jpg.f454119eff3d42b5dbe08d6d95180d3d.jpg

Watch this space!!

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
To correct typing.
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

I've also been videoing - done about another hour's worth yesterday and today.  Now I've got to edit them and that may take a day or two: I'd prefer to do it when the weather's poor and I can't get outside.  As the forecast seems to be good, it may take a bit longer!! 

Rod

Rod 

The lamps and fuel canopy look so much better.... Looking forward to the next instalment. 

Surely we could set you up with a deck chair in the garden just to do some video editing!!!!!! :smoke:

Jim

• Like 1

Hi all.

Video no. 2  is ready and has now been published on YouTube.  It's about 17.5 minutes long and features more loco haulage.  Here it is:

I've still got enough material for another 2 of about the same length, but I think I'll give it a rest for a couple of days!!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this one.

Rod

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

I've still got enough material for another 2 of about the same length, but I think I'll give it a rest for a couple of days!!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this one.

Rod

That's brilliant news Rod....... Can you getting something done for Thursday week as there is nowt on the tele that night ;)

Jim

• Funny 1

Hi all.

Video no. 3 in this series has now been published on YouTube.  Here's the link:  

It's a tad over 15 minutes long -and includes preserved steam!   Just one more to go and then I'll have a proper rest.

Having said that, a cab ride video looks a real possibility so keep watching this space!!

Enjoy this one first, though.

Rod

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 16/04/2020 at 16:52, ianwales said:

would it be possible for you to take a side on photo of the Class 131 please?

Hi Ian.

Done them!!  Here's the pics - one from each side:

1621239896_IMG_20200424_152256-Copy.jpg.629bef85cc35e31714a760df599a10cd.jpg

525580135_IMG_20200424_152351-Copy.jpg.14010efb5698d19814cc9e9131acf736.jpg

If you're thinking of doing the same, just be careful of the door placings if you want to be strictly accurate.  Shawn (Kay of Easybuild) cut them for me specially, using a line drawing in a DMU book (I can get the title if you want it).  

After it had been done someone - I think it was Brian Daniels - said he'd photographed the other side and the doors were not right opposite each other.  However, as you can only see one side at a time (and always the same one on my layout!!), I'm happy with it.

The others that were converted had doors in different places, apparently, so I'd suggest a search for photos.

Hope this is useful.

Rod

PS  That's not a radio aerial in the first pic, but the join between backscene boards!!!

• Like 2

Video #3 is a great one, I didn't realise there was as much interesting shunting going on at a main station. 

Thoroughly entertaining Rod, just maybe when I finish my present ongoing project I'll try something like this. 

Makes me wonder whether you have sat at the platform end with a notebook and pencil and noted down all the moves or if you have devised your own moves but done them pro-typically, either way it's great to watch.    

I haven't gone looking yet but I have an orphaned oil bay and I'm wondering what you have modelled in the way of discharge and refuelling pipework and storage tanks.

If you can point me in the direction of any photos you have included here I'd be grateful .

Many thanks Rod for 3 great videos...………………………. so far.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

Hi all.

Video no. 3 in this series has now been published on YouTube.  Here's the link:  

It's a tad over 15 minutes long -and includes preserved steam!   Just one more to go and then I'll have a proper rest.

Having said that, a cab ride video looks a real possibility so keep watching this space!!

Enjoy this one first, though.

Rod

You go steady now Rod...... I thought the sun was suppose to be shinning in your area ......

Anyway I will hold off till Thursday to watch as there is nowt on the tele.... Mind you it will give me enough time to convince 'er indoors to watch a new documentary, well that's what I will tell 'er

Jim

• Like 2