West Kirby Town: Parcels traffic has increased.

Dmudriver

What an amazing find. I see they do  a class 310 on O which could with a bit of work be converted to a 312. Now we are talking. I was thinking of erecting catenary on Black Notley and twist history to assume it was done in 1963 with the rest of the line.

Paul R

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

No but unless things have moved on considerably (which is of course perfectly possible given how technology advances), 3D printing quality could be poor in O gauge.

5 hours ago, Simond said:

That may certainly be an issue, but I’d be more concerned about whether the models would fit in the build envelope, and if not, where the joins would be and therefore how to disguise them.

I know virtually nothing about 3D printing but the pictures on the website do have this rider attached "Pictures are just for reference, not of specific scaled model."

As far as I am concerned, a lot more research is necessary before I splash out nearly £100 on a model I know very little about.  I've believed that 3D printing was just for small items but as Hal Nail indicates technology does advance: how good an 18" long coach would be, I just do not know.   

I've just done a search here on RMweb and it has thrown up a number of references to 3D printing so I'll have a trawl through.  My initial reaction, though, is that references are to N and T gauge but that's only in the summary so further investigation will hopefully shed more light on the matter.

Rod

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It depends on the material used for both strength and surface level finish. In O gauge, getting something with a good surface level finish might be rather expensive.

That is not a criticism of 3D printing per se. The original concept is for the 3D printing to produce "rapid prototype" models to test for the viability of a design, and then it moved on towards making the basic patterns for masters, for which manual intervention (filling, smoothing and adding further detail) is perfectly acceptable. These masters would then be used as the basis of casting, in say resin, lost-wax brass, etc.

But, the resolution of the printing and the available materials has increased, and semi-mass production is now possible, but it can be expensive.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Moving on from 3D printing - but please keep the contributions coming as I'm eager to learn - I've done more on the parcels depot and flickering lights:

Parcels depot:  I've toyed with the idea of a couple of holding sidings in the "wild" area between the warehouse backs and the fire station but no depot.  However, I've decided against that as I want to keep an open feel about the layout and avoid the temptation to fill the board with track.  I'm now thinking of a shelf or two on the back wall of the fiddle yard so that I can lift stock off the track and store it up there.  I do, though, need to operate a bit more and see just how congested the layout really is: using no.1 and the Down sidings as holding roads should ease things - held there until called forward for unloading at the mail order depot.  Off-duty DMUs would go in the stabling point instead - that's what they're for after all and it's more shunting to do!

Flickering lights:  there are different chips and LEDs in the 128 and 130.  The 128 has bicolour nanoLEDs and a Zimo MX644 chip whereas the 130 has 3mm bicolour LEDs and a Lenz function-only chip.  This latter has no LED settings.

I had a Zoom session with Dave yesterday for 2 reasons - a trial run for my Q&A sessions at the G0G Virtual Show and to try to sort out the flickering.  End result** - I've adjusted the pickups so now the loss of power is eliminated and adjusted the CV that controls the brightness of the lights.  I did a very short video to show them now.  There's some pulsing which is visible in close up as in the vid but I think in a more general video view it would be hardly noticeable.   On the layout the lights are now nice and dim.  It's on Youtube and here's the link:

Overall, I'm happy with that as it's a vast improvement.

More soon.

Rod

** Re the Zoom session, I need a booster for the wifi in the shed.  Nothing too serious but odd occasions when the picture or sound froze.

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 4

Have a  look at what Arun Sharma has been up to. 

Some of his work at Radley Models, and he's done a 7mm HST power car too, and I hope he won't mind me posting one of his CAD images here - rather more difficult than our dear 503's as the windows are curved...

image.png.c391c6da0fd7f878e3824d3feb98e148.png

image from WT for illustration only

atb

Simon

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

To clarify my comments, it was the surface finish I was referring to. I followed a few threads a while back and at that time you couldn't get an acceptable finish in 00 let alone 0.

As I say it may have improved but aside from whether the designs are actually accurate - which you can at least gauge from the CADs - that's what I'd be concerned about 

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1

I've seen a  similar cab front developed and available via Shapeways but they wanted nearly £100 for two ends. A 309 in O is something I would dearly love to have.. My recollection was that the curved window and flat window cabs were available - I'll need to check. The thinking was that Shawn at EasyBuild would supply appropriate sides for a model to be made up but my experience of a MK1 SK from him has not been good in terms of the roof fit to the body.

If you do splash out would you mind putting some photos up so we can see the quality

Paul R

• Like 2

All 503’s together on one page here:

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/passenger-stock-lms/3d_printed_LMS-cl-503.htm

No ‘O’ gauge listed, but they might do ‘specials’?

I visited the Coventry ERM when the preserved unit was there, and took a number of detail pictures – I would have no problems letting you have them, (if required! ;)) Rod.

I have one of the rue-d-etropal 503s printed out at 4mm scale (just to see if a whole 3-car would be practical). The shape and accuracy looks very good, but as mentioned by others, the surface finish is proving to be harder to get in acceptable state. This may be because of the material it is printed in – not knowing much about 3D printing, I had it printed in whatever Shapways’ default is – other materials might well be far better, some futher research required methinks.

The result of using the default material is an extremely hard, ‘grainy’ texture with some layering in cerain areas, which all takes much effort to get into an acceptable state. The shell is put to one side at the moment, as I got a bit fed up with it, but I could take a photo to illustrate what you get at 4mm scale if you want?

In the meantime though, I've got another one running - my Judith Edge kitbuilt on ‘Dacre Hill’:

DMBS-M28371M_SH-1.jpg.fdd7e1082b1b3e9b967dc9e3222c67a7.jpg

Edited by billy_anorak59
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 14/10/2020 at 13:40, pwr said:

I've seen a  similar cab front developed and available via Shapeways but they wanted nearly £100 for two ends. A 309 in O is something I would dearly love to have.. My recollection was that the curved window and flat window cabs were available - I'll need to check. The thinking was that Shawn at EasyBuild would supply appropriate sides for a model to be made up but my experience of a MK1 SK from him has not been good in terms of the roof fit to the body.

If you do splash out would you mind putting some photos up so we can see the quality

Paul R

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one that had problems between the ends and roof. I’m doing some as a commission 

And so many ideas of what new stuff to develop :lol:

Michael 

• RMweb Premium

Just come across someone doing a different Mersey unit in 00 using 3d printed parts. If you look closely you can see the surface finish.

I might be over simplifying things but I reckon it will be obvious when 3D becomes good enough, as Heljan wont be able to charge 600 quid for a loco anymore!

Edited by Hal Nail
Forgot the link
  • Like 2

It looks to mew as if the body thickness is going to be a problem here. I did find a 3D Waggon Und Maschinenbau Railbus (another on my wanted list) which can be got from the same website but the body thickness put me off even off the price didn't. I also think the window pillars on the ends are too wide which may be an issue if the model was originally designed for a smaller scale and enlarged. I suppose I could file them out but the thickness of the pillars is not ideal.

Paul R

Class 503 prints in 4mm in cruel close-up.

As stated earlier, the material is not nice to work with, but another selection might prove a lot better? Some layering evident on the print too.

Hope it's useful to you Rod.

p1.jpg.4a4090f182ef6b85952bf239d8ffc7c0.jpgp2.jpg.6b2efcfd1a7e37d368a728b80fb7bd7c.jpg

p3.jpg.6cbedf85984d34e70309dbd5f13e504b.jpg

Edited by billy_anorak59
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

Thanks for the confirmation Simon, I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to things 3D Print...

I agree, the MoldelU figure finish would be a good standard to aim for, wonder what material spec that is?

As you say, the likeness of a 503 has been captured well though, and it does look pretty good in the flesh, so to speak. However, I don't think this particular print is worth progressing with - shame - but I might have another go sometime once I gain a bit more knowledge into what is possible.

Cheers

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Leave it as it is, paint it LMS maroon and it'll look just like the survivor, at last under cover at Margate.

3D printing appears to be extremely variable, but it seems that some technologies are better than others.  As noted above, the Modelu figures are good, and the Rails limited edition vans seem to be well regarded too, but for their size they're not cheap.

• Funny 1

That 503 seems to be a pretty poor example. I think it all comes down to the material used and I think that in some cases you can choose when you buy.  Like you I don't know much about it but as Hroth says there are some pretty good examples out there too.

I am hoping to have the bogies for an APT-E 3D printed. I have seen a gauge one version he did  for a PoP train and they look pretty good.

I am sure there is an answer out there  even if its cutting the sides out of styrene which is what I will do for the windows of the APT. One of our ladies at church has a cutting machine which scans the drawing and then cuts the plastic based on the scan. if you have a scale drawing I can see if it might be possible. 

Paul R

Now then Mr Morgan, seeing as the Heljan 7mm releases are out in the open ...... are you tempted for a Class 73 Merseyrail De-icer unit  ?  A nice neat small train.

"disclaimer -pictures lifted from the internet for the purposes of reference"

Stay safe everyone

Craig.

73006 Basford Hall Rail Photoprints.jpg

Merseyrail_73901.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, muddys-blues said:

Now then Mr Morgan, seeing as the Heljan 7mm releases are out in the open ...... are you tempted for a Class 73 Merseyrail De-icer unit  ?  A nice neat small train.

"disclaimer -pictures lifted from the internet for the purposes of reference"

Stay safe everyone

Craig.

73006 Basford Hall Rail Photoprints.jpg

Merseyrail_73901.jpg

The answer, Craig, is "Yes, yes, yes!!!!"

Saw it earlier and was about to start looking for more pictures!  I hadn't seen these 2 before, so they'll go into the collection.

I think the 2nd pic is a deicing train so I'll have to alter the scenery colours to make it winter if I did that one!!  More research necessary to find out what work they did but it's definitely on the list.  Maybe an engineer's train? 

I think they're talking 2022 so there's plenty of time to save up!!

Just watching an interview with Shawn of Easybuild on the MIOG Show Youtube channel- missed the early bits but he said they're working on a 104/110.  What else have I missed?  

Hope all is well with you and the family.   All the best.

Rod

• Like 2

On 19/10/2020 at 21:02, billy_anorak59 said:

Class 503 prints in 4mm in cruel close-up.

As stated earlier, the material is not nice to work with, but another selection might prove a lot better? Some layering evident on the print too.

Hope it's useful to you Rod.

p4.jpg.5fc41499b080eb7c17a545f58aec8395.jpg

p1.jpg.90a0743bb0ae7ae149356d378513ac86.jpgp2.jpg.061dacfb0b98074d614b325a6f82729c.jpg

p3.jpg.0ea458cebf36557f0050f7dc23e8e193.jpg

As there’s been a fair amount of discussion over the surface finish of 3D printed models, can I offer up my experiences?

Below is a shot of a project I’m currently on with (Recreation21 O gauge GT3). The print as delivered had the same finish as Billy’s 503 (I’ve quoted it for reference, hope you don’t mind Billy). 

For starters ignore everything below soulbar level, we’re looking purely at the body. The tender has had three coats of halfords primer, rubbed down with 400 grit paper between coats, and two coats of Plastikote gloss rubbed down with 1000 grit paper between coats. This has produced a finish that is fair. It’s worth noting that I didn’t flat back the corridor connection on the back of the tender. This gives an idea of the difference the effort has made on the rest of the model.

On the loco a third coat of gloss has produced a good flat finish (You’ll have to take my word for it at the moment, the weather hasn’t been kind enough for me to get a photo in natural daylight yet!). 

In short as supplied by shapeways, the prints require a fair amount of time and effort. But good results can be had! I’ll admit though that trying to get a good finish on window frames is at best a challenge, so coaching stock will test the builders patience to breaking point!

Jonny Ward

BEA2BE4F-EB42-4084-8DB2-F5634CEF6DF0.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

Rod,

you’re onto a winner with the class 73, you can run it as a diesel until you lay the third rail...  (Which you’ll need for your 503s :) )

iirc, someone has done a DCC sound project for them which does the change-over, but I can’t recall where I saw it.

atb

Simon

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Great virtual "show time" Yesterday Rod on the GOG VS 2020.

Amongst other things your loaded Videos are a great watch and your live display chats were fantastic too.

Gets my vote for the Layout of the day, well done.

Off to have another watch on the GOG Forum, thanks.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barnaby said:

Great virtual "show time" Yesterday Rod on the GOG VS 2020.

Amongst other things your loaded Videos are a great watch and your live display chats were fantastic too.

Gets my vote for the Layout of the day, well done.

Off to have another watch on the GOG Forum, thanks.

Best

Thanks for the compliments, Barnaby.   It was quite a day, really - 4  sessions for me that were meant to be Q&A but became presentations, which then sparked a few questions. Fortunately I'd thought before "what happens if there's no questions?" so I had an outline of a presentation in my head.  I think each one was different, though, as I didn't use a written script!!  I was shattered last night!!

Certainly comments on the Guild Forum about the show are overwhelmingly positive.

I have to say that I was really impressed with the amount of work that went into preparing for the show, as well as what was done on the day.  For myself I was involved in 3 discussion/training sessions (via Zoom) in the week before the show: add to that a couple of sessions with a pal to check that my broadband/wifi was working acceptably.   And that was just me.  How many hours others put in I can't imagine.

The videos are on my Youtube channel but I'll put the links on here shortly.

Rod

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2