West Kirby Town: narrow gauge may be coming to town.

Dmudriver

Rod,

I lifted the track on the Greater Windowledge Railway by the simple, if messy, expedient of pouring boiling water over the track.  The track and points survived the experience!  The glue, ballast and underlay did not fare so well.

pictures here:  

Hth

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi all.

I've started the work on the points replacement.  First job was just to check exactly what comes in the point kits.   I've mentioned already that there were no straight track bases that I'd ordered then also found that I was a point blade short!!  Mike has  said he will send them to me.  Just as a reminder, these are what I am aiming to replace:

P1060539.JPG.72106530cabb24093639672f3a3d4ad0.JPG

I first set up a point kit, as here:

P1060538.JPG.1e8aaac7e8c48aa4caccfec87e971826.JPG

The gauges set the track up nicely, but the one at the far left is there to get the gauge right on the straight bit, thereby getting the curve correct.  The stock rails are longer than the point bases because I want to replace some short bits of track - as here:

P1060537.JPG.5330f15e729fe0b0ac0a6cac9ecd8bc8.JPG

The next job was to make sure that the 5 packs contain enough chairs so I set them out on the point - as here:

P1060540.JPG.5e6930c12792c3fb00ebef12a140b8b4.JPG

There are 2 chairs surplus, that's all.  I've decided I'll get another pack of ordinary chairs from Peco as they're a bit fiddly to handle and the carpet monster is waiting open-mouthed!!  I'll also get a pack of spare slide chairs while I'm at it as one of my packs only has 10 (instead of 14) and the carpet monster will enjoy these, too, I know!!

I then started removing a few nails I'd used to hold the points in place - you can see a couple in the 3rd pic, together with holes where I've removed some already.  And finally, the first bit of rail has been removed:

IMG_20210220_173750.jpg.c6247bf70a3ed6423275da4a94387d1f.jpg

All the sidings are now OOU so all I can use if I want to play are the platforms and no. 2 siding (as well as the fiddle yard, obviously!!)  Should make operations a bit interesting!!  So tomorrow will be gently dropping hot/warm water onto the ballast to shift that - I'll try and keep the cork underlay intact.  I can't remember if I glued the track down - I'll find out soon enough!!

More soon.

Rod

PS   Had a good evening so far as Everton beat Liverpool at Anfield for the first time in 22 years and the first time we've beaten them at all in over 10 years!!  Things are looking up and MOTD is defo on the agenda tonight!!

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Dmudriver said:

Everton beat Liverpool at Anfield for the first time in 22 years

terribly disappointing, not sure what’s going on at Anfield, brilliant players, great manager, lousy results...

(I’m not what you'd call a fan, more of an interested bystander :) )

Edited by Simond
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Simond said:

not sure what’s going on at Anfield

Injuries!

The carpet monster waiting to pounce amused me. I lost a 1cm by 2cm piece of white plasticard in mine and I have hard floors! Genuinely unbelievable at the time. It turned up a year later inside the cardboard box of my model filler. So you need to watch out for the demons on the bench as well...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

I've removed the first point, with a couple of short pieces of adjoining track.  Not too difficult, fortunately.  I'm leaving the removed ballast to dry while my little vacuum cleaner is on charge.

The second pic shows a point base in place - roughly as it doesn't sit easily on the feed wires through the board!!

IMG_20210221_180858.jpg.ad169658a739e20af64479e06533ab92.jpg

IMG_20210221_181037.jpg.3be1c2a1ea6e8ab610de69b3ee8774ac.jpg

The straight track bases I've ordered will fill in the gaps between the points.

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 11

20 hours ago, Simond said:

terribly disappointing, not sure what’s going on at Anfield, brilliant players, great manager, lousy results...

Something Everton fans can sympathise with but whether they will after all the stick we've had over the years is another matter!!

• Agree 2

Excellent work and kits there Rod.  The kits do look very good indeed.

I like the solution to the "add in" short straight pieces of track you had with the Peco points.

By just extending the stock rails of the new point and leaving the sleepers in place of the old mini straights minus their rails will minimise the track disruption albeit somewhat tricky still to lay. 

It will certainly be interesting and illuminating to watch the build continue.

Best

EDIT   Ahhh just spotted that you have removed all the sleepers including the mini straights and not done as I stated above.

As SimonD said i'm also not sure what is going on with LFC either.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On a happier note than LFC’s recent results, the track came up pretty cleanly, and it doesn’t look like there was much damage to adjacent lines.  You’re braver than me, I’d have moved the stock right out of harm’s way, then again, perhaps you’re a neater worker than I :)

looking forward to seeing your track building.  I have just discovered one of my home grown points has gone tight to gauge, so I’m pondering a little remedial work.  Surprisingly, despite it being around 30.5mm, stuff rarely falls off, due to the checking action of the other blade.  Does clunk a bit though!

atb

Simon

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Pleased to see you enjoying the new point build Rod, may I ask whether you will be painting / sealing the timber work of the kit prior to placing and ballasting ? 

Unlike plastic timbers I would have a concern about the wood swelling if too much pva mix, or whatever your choice is, causing a possible problem. Mine is a way off yet and once I've received my double slip I will be spraying all the pointwork prior to laying my track.

I'm certain you would have given it consideration but fell I would mention it as a matter of course.

G   

p.s. I have to say it, I don't think it'll work very well that way..... upside-down ! :lol:

• Like 1

I mostly used C&L plywood timbers, built off-layout on the Templot plan, which I had stuck to some grey card (eg cornflake packet), which was taped to a bit of conti-board as a temporary base.  I dyed the timbers before building, used wood dyes & Indian ink.  All timbers and plan stuck down with Bostik blue wood adhesive.  Once built & in position ( more Bostik) I ballasted with Javis granite & diluted latex, as that doesn’t make the granite go green.  I had no issues with the wood swelling.  

they won’t come up in one piece...

hth

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, bgman said:

may I ask whether you will be painting / sealing the timber work of the kit prior to placing and ballasting ? 

Unlike plastic timbers I would have a concern about the wood swelling if too much pva mix, or whatever your choice is, causing a possible problem.

That is a very good question, bgman, and one which I hadn't asked myself.  I suppose I assumed I'd just lay the bases and then stain/paint as I would plastic ones.   The bases are ply and they look a bit shiny so I do wonder if they've been treated but I'll check with Mike Greenwood before I do any laying.

In the meantime, I've rung Tower Models to see if they've any Peco chairs and ....... not a chance!!  Apparently Peco are working on reduced capacity and only producing fast moving stuff (that's my understanding, not how Roger explained it!)   So I tried eBay and found a pack of each of the chairs I wanted: they're now paid for and should be delivered this week.

Today's practical work involved taking another of the points up - pic:

IMG_20210222_211640.jpg.84f6b2b4619685498e16d238281f80c6.jpg

I'm making progress!!   While I was doing that it struck me that there aren't any wing rails in the Greenwood kit but then checked the point blades and they're more than long enough for the blade and a check rail off each.  Phew!!

My plan is to put the new points in exactly the same place as the Peco ones so that I don't have to crawl about under the board moving Tortoise motors.  Good thinking - until I checked the length of the rod from the Tortoise to the tie bar.  The GMRP tiebar is higher than the Peco one and the rod from the first point I took up is now too short so I'm going to have to get under to put a fresh wire in - that should be easier than changing the position of the motor, though.  The one I took out tonight is OK - I didn't chop the operating wire as short on the Peco point so that looks like it will work.

I hope this detail is useful, not boring:  I'm aiming to share the trials and tribulations for anyone else who may be contemplating using these kits.   I may even do a review for the Guild Gazette!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have to agree with Hroth your work ethic is very neat indeed.

If I had the time I'd like to have a go with those point kits but for my enjoyment i need to follow RTR and only do occasional build stuff. 

My main interest is to PLAY trains and shunt about.

Will you be appearing on the next G0G virtual show???

Looking very good Rod.

Regards

FYI - Mike ( Greenwood ) is currently resting this week due to hurting his back and told me he is taking the week off so any orders etc will be looked at next week now at the earliest.

Grahame

• Like 1

A bit more progress today - 3rd point out.  I'm cleaning them up as I take them out - you never know if/when they'll come in handy!!

Pics of state of play tonight and with 3 point bases laid out.  (some sleeper trimming will be necessary!)

IMG_20210224_210340.jpg.1316c239ec2f231ef26fdcd11bf71892.jpg

IMG_20210224_210619.jpg.1e4282715f17536ab3039ea2967519d9.jpg

I am very tempted to lay the far point just to see how it goes.  Mike can't do anything about the straight bases this week - as bgman has pointed out - but there's a short piece of Peco track base just behind the bracket signal which fits rather nicely.  I've already tried a long piece of rail in the far sleepers and the short piece that's still in the base should marry up nicely with the frog.  In fact, I'm itching to do it. but I must get these other 2 points out first!!

On the other hand ..........  watch this space.  I'll see how the mood takes me!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, pwr said:

Rod

I really think you should have a model of a yellow breakdown crane helping you lift these points! 

Paul R

1 hour ago, 47606odin said:

You need some red flags across the ends to highlight the limit of the possession 

1 hour ago, pwr said:

And some messing coaches!

Paul R

You build them, and I am sure Rod will put them on the track for the photos...

28 minutes ago, Regularity said:

You build them, and I am sure Rod will put them on the track for the photos...

His track replacement project will be finished before I get round to that!

Paul R

• Funny 2

Just getting up to speed on the point replacement saga.  Those Greenwood kits really look good, a shame I've already built the turnouts for my layout the hard way.

Peco turnouts look OK to me with the two most obvious issues being the box on the switch and large blade gap.  A minor issue is the machined rebate on the stock rails for the blades.  During the course of my layout development I experimented with replacing the tie bar with a better looking pair from JLTRT (now MM1 models).  This also allowed the blade gap to be reduced.

Anyway, best of luck with this, an interesting project.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 25/02/2021 at 07:30, pwr said:

I really think you should have a model of a yellow breakdown crane helping you lift these points! 

On 25/02/2021 at 13:06, 47606odin said:

You need some red flags across the ends to highlight the limit of the possession 

On 25/02/2021 at 13:37, pwr said:

And some messing coaches!

Nice comments there, people!    If it wasn't for lockdown I'm sure Dave Hampson would have brought his big crane over for the track lifting and replacement.  (the one seen at lunchtimes on "Apethorne Junction" and "Oldham King Street Parcels").

As for red flags - I've been thinking about that!  I've got some mesh material I was going to use for fencing: a small piece of that, painted red, and slung between 2 cut down cocktail sticks should do it!!

Messing coaches?   Nah, the portacabin was moved to the open area behind the p. way compound (such as it is!)!!

IMG_20210225_201412.jpg.317ed126552e6a0f38079de7135cded7.jpg

More soon.   

Rod

• Like 3