West Kirby Town: Parcels traffic has increased.

Dmudriver

15 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Its usually pretty quick and easy to resize pictures in one of the programs on your pc such as "paint". Right click on the image in your directory and use "open with" to find one, then there will be a resize option and i just select a percentage (depends on the original but somewhere around 30 or so) to end up with roughly 1000 pixels on the longest axis, with the box ticked to keep the ratio of height to width the same. Use "save as" to make a copy and preserve the original. You don't need much resolution for viewing on a screen, so big files are unnecessary.

The 101 looks great incidentally!

I usually reduce large images to be posted online down to approximately 800x600 (rather than giving a percentage), its a good compromise between detail and filesize.  As you say, the main thing is to tell the software to maintain the aspect ratio, so if you enter the major size, the software will calculate the minor size appropriately so images don't get squashed or squeezed.

And yes ALWAYS "Save As..." to preserve the original!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Hroth said:

And yes ALWAYS "Save As..." to preserve the original!

Or

copy before you start

BUT 

if you do, always do! Lest the time you forget it’s one you forgot to copy first.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

Hi all.  Thanks for your comments about the layout, units,etc and for the advice on resizing pics.

Attached is the resized pic of the 131, 128 and Guv which have just arrived at WKT:

988829872_IMG_20191022_162345-Copy2.gif.6c1b1bd5fed55c3cd5a37fe6bc2b2327.gif

I've reduced it from 1.5Mb to 800 and a bit Kb.  I hope it looks OK. 

And yes, the lighting in the 101 does show up the lack of passengers!!  Yet another job to do!!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 11

Hi all.  Just a bit of information.   I said in one of my posts above that the lights were not working properly on the units I've put the Zimo chips into.  I can't understand the Zimo manual so I've put a post in the DCC Help and Questions forum.

This is the link to it in case anyone feels they could help/advise me.

Rod

Hi Paul

"That 101 looks a treat Rod. The 128 is also simply made for the job and I like the way you have it coupled to the Guv "

Thanks for the comment about the 101.  As you might have gathered above, I am really pleased with it.  You say "the 128 is made for the job" - well, yes, I found out yesterday that that unit 55995 was allocated to Chester depot!!  So it could quite feasibly have visited West Kirby.  Admittedly the information referred to 1984/5 - a bit later than my time frame - but it'll do for me.  Rule 1 and all that.

I do want to run it in multiple, as well as solo, but I need to make sure the mix of Zimo and ESU chips are compatible in their settings.  I've set up the 131 and 128 to match each other so now need to work on the others.

"Any shots of the Fire Station progress "   

In a word , no!!!  The new colour looks better so I'm now going to start painting window sills and door frames white then I'll do the mortar.  When that's done I'll put some pics up.  And, as it's pouring with rain here now, the start of the painting is this afternoon's job!!!

More soon.

Rod

Thank Rod

One of my Health and Safety Managers has been driving back from Bradford to Manchester and says its bucketing down and almost too dangerous to drive on the motorway!

I think we get it down here tomorrow.

Paul R

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Dmudriver said:

Admittedly the information referred to 1984/5 - a bit later than my time frame - but it'll do for me. 

I don’t think they moved about much.  1974 Locoshed book (the first to include units?) has 55995 allocated to CR so no need for rule 1.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

"One of my Health and Safety Managers has been driving back from Bradford to Manchester and says its bucketing down and almost too dangerous to drive on the motorway! "

It's been raining here (near Preston) since mid-morning and there's a yellow weather waring in force for heavy rain from 1500 today until 1500 tomorrow!!!

What it's going to be like, I dread to think!!  Just hope my roof stays watertight!!!

Rod

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

been raining here (near Preston)

I spent the best part of 3 very enjoyable years in Preston.

From what I remember, for most of the year (Sept-May, inclusive) the only days it didn’t rain, it was because it was snowing...

On 23/10/2019 at 23:06, Dmudriver said:

Attached is the resized pic of the 131, 128 and Guv which have just arrived at WKT:

We’re any GUVs fitted with through controls, so that they could be sandwiched between two parcel units?

• Like 1

Hi Simon.

"We’re any GUVs fitted with through controls, so that they could be sandwiched between two parcel units? "

Yes, there were.  The ones I know of were formed into fixed sets with 2x Class 116 power cars and were branded Railair Express Parcels - operating in the Heathrow area.  Here's a link to a page about them:

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-116/railair-express-parcels

I don't know of any others and I don't know of there being a pool of through wired GUVs.  So to sandwich my GUV between the 128 and 131 wouldn't be prototypical (as far as I know!).  It would save the shunting though - but there again it takes away operational interest!!  Any photos I've seen (apart from the Railair ones) have always had, for example,  a GUV or a BG as a tail load.

EDIT:  And here's another page:  this time there's a 116, a GUV and a 128!!   https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-116/parcel-use

That photo has got me thinking about asking Shawn at Easybuild for an unmotored 116 power car!!   Hhhmmmm - food for thought!!!

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
To add in 2nd link.
  • Informative/Useful 1

Its been raining here since this time last night, I haven't checked in the last hour*, but it still might be.

Meterological Note:

If you can see Wales, its going to rain.

If you can't see Wales, its raining.

* Yes, it still is....

Edited by Hroth
Rain check....

Re the fire station, here's a shot of 3 of the walls with window sills and door frames masked up and ready for painting.

The 4th wall has no doors or windows and the other windows have been painted already.

IMG_20191025_183626.jpg.408af5cc0641abf6b32ae20965e91afc.jpg

One thing I have found, though, is that the windows and doors are a tight fit and a layer of paint makes them very difficult to fit.  So it's files to the ready!!

The walls look a much better colour now - possibly a touch too red, but once the mortar's in it will leave some on the brickwork which will tone it down.  It's certainly better than the burgundy red I had before!!!!

Rod

• Like 3

Hi Rod,

Been away from your excellent pages fro some time so it is indeed a revelation to come back and see more progress.

Still think you need a bus somewhere on the road at the back... :rolleyes:

I do like the CL101 DMU, Dave Hampson has made a very nice job of it.

Interior lighting helps set it off nicely - yes I concur with another poster who suggested it would be enhanced with people.

If you do, take a look at Claudia Everett, she paints the most exquisite detail onto figures.

One of the very best in the business. https://artcice.wixsite.com/cice

I hadn't realised you were at GOG Telford, if had realised I would have invited you over for a chat and a play on my layout

L13 Willowbrook Marsh. Another time maybe.

Enjoy Apethorne this weekend at Daves' school. Sad I can't get along (decorating no:2 daughters bedroom :().

We are showing our club layout 'Central Works' at Letchworth next month (30th) and David will be there with OKSP

so we hope to get together.

Keep up the good work with WKT.

Nigel

4pp A5 Central Works Brochure v.02 lo-res.pdf

Hi Rod,

Just seen the layout article in the Gazette, looks really good...

Shows off all those lovely DMU’s.

Look forward to seeing part 2 (you are going to do a part 2 aren’t you?)

Nigel

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Lodekka said:

Hi Rod,

Just seen the layout article in the Gazette, looks really good...

Shows off all those lovely DMU’s.

Look forward to seeing part 2 (you are going to do a part 2 aren’t you?)

Nigel

:yes: .... pssst, the word on the street Rod will be doing a part 2, it will involve a 3rd rail, and some 503's EMU's, this may need some serious funds though !!! :secret_mini:

Rod .... have you still got that "cough cough" 115 set ? :good: ........

PS footy wise my Saturday's are really sh*t this season ... :cry:

Best regards

Craig

UTS ... this love will last forever :offtopic:

• RMweb Premium

I would just like to add my "well done" regarding the article in the magazine and this thread. As a fairly recent convert to O Gauge, I have found the whole thread enlightening and not a little inspiring. Although my modelling period is some 70 years earlier than yours, the design of the layout and the way you have done it has heavily influenced my plans.

Tony Gee

• Thanks 1

Oi Craig!,

Sorry mate, you dropped out of the queue for the 115 unit... 

i sharked in whilst you weren’t looking. <grin>

Rod... i have a 506 unit (Manchester-Glossop) if you install some 1500v catenary...

happy to bring that over for some gauging trials...

equally i I have a CL77.... now that could be fun.

ok, i’ll Get my coat...

‘Nigel

• Like 1
  • Funny 1