West Kirby Town: Parcels traffic has increased.

Dmudriver

12 hours ago, Barnaby said:

I also like the sleeper path-way too leading from the shed and along side of the line.

That was the garden designer's idea, Barnaby - not mine  I just said I wanted a path alongside the railway.  That's what you pay them for!!  

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

I was loving the modern art in the car park until I realised it was clamps holding the fence! Great video.

Those Autocoaches are crying out for figures!

Paul R

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pwr said:

I was loving the modern art in the car park until I realised it was clamps holding the fence! Great video.

Thanks,  Paul.  Yes, I've cut the fencing to allow for a gateway by the box and am about to glue it in place.  What isn't quite so obvious, though, is in the view taken from the end of the Down siding, the signal box is actually outside the fence!!!!   I forgot to put it back after clamping the fences!!  Fortunately, I noticed before I did the following clip!!

Rod

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pwr said:

Those Autocoaches are crying out for figures!

I agree, Paul - the empty cabs in the autocoaches are particularly noticeable.  Does anyone know of suitable standing figures I could use in the cabs?   Plus a fireman on the loco?

On the subject of passengers, though, I have an open mind.   On this layout trains often stand empty in sidings or in the stabling point.  Having passengers in them in that situation is, to my mind, just not right.  However, empty trains running services is also not right, although the emptiness is particularly noticeable if there are any interior lights which are switched on.  Maybe the answer is to fit passengers and interior lights so that in service, with the lights on, they are noticeable: parked up with lights off, maybe not so much so.

If I can get some passengers, I'll try it in the 101.

However, with the 2 preserved sets (autocoaches and "The Welsh Dragon") which aren't generally stabled in the station area it makes sense to fit passengers - the problem then is, of course, that preserved steam would likely be very popular so I'm going to need loads of passengers!!!   Suggestions, anyone?   Please?

Rod

• Like 1

On the subject of passengers and crew, here's something for discussion - particularly in relation to diesel locos and DMUs.

The driver (and when rostered, second man) should be at the front of the train/loco.   You see it often - and on my models, too - where the driver/crew are in the rear cab and the front cab often empty.  

I heard years ago of someone who had made pop-up drivers who appeared/disappeared when the direction was changed.  I never saw it so maybe it's folk lore - has anyone else come across it?

There's a pal of mine who's got windscreen wipers working on a JLTRT Class 24**  (take a bow, David!!)  and I've challenged him to do it.  Whether he will/has is another story!!!   

If that could be done, maybe the same could be done with passengers - turn the interior lights off and the passengers pop down.  Is anyone going to take up the challenge?   

Rod

**   He's not done working washers to go with them, though!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rod 

Apart from a good video the Class 25 sounds absolutely awesome especially as the sound seems to reverberate around the home of the railway ... ( Inside that posh shed of yours :rolleyes:

Jim

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dmudriver said:

If that could be done, maybe the same could be done with passengers - turn the interior lights off and the passengers pop down.  Is anyone going to take up the challenge?   

I'm not sure about taking up challenges, but I can be free with mad suggestions!

With 7mm you've got bags of room, and you're using DCC so perhaps a small decoder driven servo to move all the passengers in a coach "passengers" up and down at will, rather than linking them to lights on/off. I see them as either being flat on the floor or "rotated" up into the seats.

I'm just glad I don't have to implement such a scheme....  :crazy:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pwr said:

Modellu might be a good source Rod

Paul

They do a chap billed as an 08 driver who's arm is roughly the right height for the vacuum brake - you can ask them to orientate either way so get one with left arm out. Trouble is i think he looks like a fireman so not sure i can promote him to driving :)

The point about drivers in rear cabs is even more pertinent for an auto tank and coach. i'm still debating whether to put 2 in the loco cab as well as one in the coach, where to put head and tail lights etc. I might end  up with both ends leading.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2

Hi all.

On the subject of drivers in cabs, I said I'd challenged a pal of mine to get a driver to appear/disappear on changing direction.  

He's actually David Hampson, of "Oldham King Street Parcels" fame, and he's done it!!  With a driver in each cab of a Heljan Class 128.  He's  sent me 3 videos but unfortunately they're in MP4 format and this system won't accept them. B****r!!

Basically, he's used a small servo and attached the driver and seat to that.  He's then programmed the servo to lift the driver up and down directionally.  It's very impressive and effective!!  Obviously the servo would have to be programmed to not lift the driver up when double heading, but that's no problem to do.

I'll try and see if there's a way I can somehow get the videos on here - has anyone any suggestions?

In the meantime, watch this space.

Rod

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Wow Rod it will be great to see the videos if you are able to upload them.  

You friend seems to like challenges and sounds like he has provided an effective solution.

Watching closely while the software gets sorted out.

Best

These may be worth a look. >>> https://www.techradar.com/uk/best/free-video-converter  or

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-free-video-converters/

There are others.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 2

Hi all.

I've got the videos of the 128 driver onto my YouTube channel, so here they are.  First, viewed from the front of the unit:

Then from the side:

and finally, with the body off, showing how he's done it:

As I said before, impressive and effective!!  He's baulked a bit at the Class 37 challenge, though!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Thats roughly the mechanism I envisaged for dealing with your passengers....

The first video gives the impression of the driver being hauled from his seat by an invisible agency, the second looks more like a scene from a Gerry Anderson series!  Terrific stuff!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

15 hours ago, Hroth said:

Thats roughly the mechanism I envisaged for dealing with your passengers....

The first video gives the impression of the driver being hauled from his seat by an invisible agency, the second looks more like a scene from a Gerry Anderson series!  Terrific stuff!

Reminded me of Dell boy falling through the bar hatch :D

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

Looking full of protentional and very exciting Rod.

Not sure of the driver cabin layout on these but would, could the driver pull down a blind before leaving his drive seat, then at the other end he would sit in before raising the blind thus hiding his movement.

But the challenge was successfully completed although I do wonder what you may have started.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 02/06/2020 at 13:37, Dmudriver said:

On the subject of passengers and crew, here's something for discussion - particularly in relation to diesel locos and DMUs.

The driver (and when rostered, second man) should be at the front of the train/loco.   You see it often - and on my models, too - where the driver/crew are in the rear cab and the front cab often empty.  

I heard years ago of someone who had made pop-up drivers who appeared/disappeared when the direction was changed.  I never saw it so maybe it's folk lore - has anyone else come across it?

There's a pal of mine who's got windscreen wipers working on a JLTRT Class 24**  (take a bow, David!!)  and I've challenged him to do it.  Whether he will/has is another story!!!   

Rod

**   He's not done working washers to go with them, though!!

Hardy's Hobbies have some great footplale crew which fitted perfectly in my 14xx

https://hardyshobbies.co.uk/ 

Edited by sidmouth
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

I've been busy - but playing mostly!!  

However, I've said that I need to do more on the scenery so I've been doing the mortar on the fire station building - and that's a slow job as I'm learning as I go along.  Photos soon, hopefully.

I've altered the fence layout in the signal box area as I've decided to make a little feature of the p-way hut area.  I'll have a few sleepers and chairs, a little trolley - and a picnic table at the right hand end!!  I've seen one somewhere - a laser cut kit - but can't find it again yet.  Does anyone know who sells them?

Here's a couple of pics:  first, at the station end

2062674710_IMG_20200628_142636-Copy.jpg.de70af490ba9d369f65a3c3b5e59d5a1.jpg

I've left a space for a personnel gate.

Next:

485081334_IMG_20200628_142623-Copy.jpg.f189a1ebdfd98eb6c5a1dd38edb6441c.jpg

The other side of the box, and I've left a space for a double gate on the basis we might need to unload a lorry.  The tree has finally been fitted into a base!!  That is where it will stay - there was a tree roughly in that position at the time I am modelling but the p-way hut and surrounds are a figment of my imagination!!  And anyway, I already had the hut from my previous layout and didn't want to get rid of it!!

Finally, viewed from the other end:

1025697479_IMG_20200628_142604-Copy.jpg.40e9043e1850903ca20726a5e12db9bb.jpg

The fence previously cut in behind the box but it didn't look right with the hut outside the fence!!

Ground cover next, then finish the tree off.  Also, I've seen some low relief warehouse backs on the Intentio site and I'm thinking about using those behind the box, under the signalling diagram.

So, watch this space.  More soon.

Rod

• Like 14

11 minutes ago, Dmudriver said:

Also, I've seen some low relief warehouse backs on the Intentio site and I'm thinking about using those behind the box, under the signalling diagram.

Around that area in the real WK, there was the Tudor Cinema, a small MOT garage and towards the bridge abutments a bit of disused allotment scrubbery.  Rather than warehouses as such, perhaps something that would hint at the rear end of a cinema, with say a billboard detailing the latest attraction and a back-street motor wranglers?

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Dmudriver said:

I'll have a few sleepers and chairs, a little trolley - and a picnic table at the right hand end!!  I've seen one somewhere - a laser cut kit - but can't find it again yet.  Does anyone know who sells them?

Rod

I know these are slightly undersized but I found these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/383560301187?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=383560301187&targetid=908661474856&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9041106&poi=&campaignid=10195651586&mkgroupid=107296210212&rlsatarget=pla-908661474856&abcId=1145987&merchantid=6995734&gclid=CjwKCAjw_-D3BRBIEiwAjVMy7Az4-S3hqS_Phx_IdHABClKG_65_rK4RGEZRTXeezoRxZNQ4ug6q7RoCim0QAvD_BwE

Jim

• Thanks 1