West Kirby Town: narrow gauge may be coming to town.

Dmudriver

Hi all.

"More soon" I said - well over a month ago!!!  Things have been moving - although a little slowly,  but here's an update on progress so far.

The concourse fencing is finished - apart from one slight adjustment.  Here's a couple of pics of it:

697905548_IMG_20190330_181729-Copy.jpg.860f6ad041b1b3a2f1aab8d732128d8e.jpg

493476267_IMG_20190330_181854(2).jpg.d0c70f1c4bef36012d607eab2b018ebe.jpg

It's a bit higher than I envisaged but it is a scale 5'6".  I don't know what's happened to the ticket booths in the 2nd pic but normally you can't notice the lean.  Close up camera pics really do show up faults, don't they!!!  The fencing to the right of the booths is leaning a bit - that's the slight adjustment that's being made as I type.

The fire station has made no physical progress yet.  I've had advice from a pal who used to be a fire officer, about the layout of the site.  He suggested that, for a town the size of that which I'm modelling, a station with 2 appliance bays would be more appropriate - and I've got the room for it.  So I contacted KS Laserdesigns and, as it happens, they're about to introduce a larger one of the size I want.  The original one has gone back (with a cash sum to make up the difference) and the new one should, hopefully, be dispatched next week.  Here's a pic, from their website, of the existing fire station:

image.png.49165deac3ef1bbc42d2b921410b3e93.png

The new one will have (I assume) the extra bay added to the right hand end of the building.  I started building the training tower but found out that some pieces are not the right size so that's stopped the job!!  The correct size pieces should come with the new kit.

Finally, the 03 (which doesn't figure in pics that much) has had a bit of an upgrade.  Since I've had it (many years now!!  It was probably the first modern image loco I got)  the match truck has been used for extra pickups as the short wheelbase tended to cause problems.  However, the wire joining that truck to the loco had to pass under the deep bufferbeam on the loco.  Unless it was properly adjusted - and there wasn't much room to play with - it would catch on pointwork and, amongst other effects, pull the micro plug apart.  Over time this gave up the ghost so I decided it was time to replace it with a stay-alive.  Unfortunately the chip was a Loksound v3.5 which does not take kindly to stay-alives!!  The loco now has a Zimo MX645 chip with Paul Chetter's Activedrive sound file.  It's good!!!  I'm on my second trial of a speaker - there's a third on the way next week, I hope.  The loco still has the match truck attached but it that is not now picking up power: the stay-alive works well!!

I'll do a video of the 03 when I've got the new speaker.  In the meantime, I'll alter the functions around so that they match those on the 08.

So that's the update for now.   More soon (and hopefully in sooner than over a month!!)

Rod

PS  Does anyone know of a buyer of used chips? - and speakers too, come to that!!  I must have half a dozen chips lying around and even more speakers.  I'm loathe to just bin them!!

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 10

We were all being politely quiet....  :jester:

I'm still toying with the concept of slewing the whole lot over to the middle of the goods yard and amalgamating with the Joint, but it'd be in OO so there's no competition!  The station building would be more "modern" along the lines of Hoylake but enlarged as being more appropriate for a more important station, I'll stick with the concrete canopies, which would look good with the new station buildings...

• Like 1

Hy Rod lots of goodies on here,well done. 

I've recently decided I'm going to use Dingham couplings for my 7mm rolling stock and I remember that you had made several comments through your build about them.

One of the points [see page 66 of this topic] you said that you had got made up a jig to aid the repetitive building of the couplings.  You commented that if enough people wanted one some more could be made so I'm wondering if that offer still exists if so could you let me know the details please.

Keep up the great work.

Best

Hi all.

A bit of progress.  The fire station kit and the correct size pieces for the training tower arrived this week.

I've built the training tower and sprayed the inside before I glued the front on.   As it's not a big spray job I didn't get my spray booth set up but sprayed outside.  Once I'd put the front on, the weather changed to heavy rain so I'm waiting for a bit of fine weather to finish it.  Here's progress so far, though:

1676626454_IMG_20190423_221729-Copy.jpg.dba4282fbd8d2d368705e1bc70412afd.jpg

I've not started the fire station yet, but here's the manufacturer's pic of the extended kit:  (doors to go on, obviously!!)

thumbnail.jpg.11c6ff683415af8bed756ef4c876173b.jpg

Watch this space!!!

Rod

• Like 9

Hi all.

Still no progress on the training tower thanks to Storm Hannah!!!  Thank you, Hannah :sarcastic:

However, the 103 has now returned to its (her?) home depot and a Class 105 has been allocated to replace it.  Here is the 105 in the stabling point:

878381391_IMG_20190427_190849(2).jpg.768f315978cae349c2a760992c441359.jpg

More pics to follow.  Hopefully the next driver will put the correct destination blind up!

In the meantime, what's this that has arrived in platform 1, sandwiched between the 25 and the 50?    Answers on a post card, please!!!

924525233_IMG_20190427_185954(2).jpg.b6fda4b566f82446186e6741c09e81a2.jpg

More will be revealed after receiving the post cards - electronic versions are acceptable!!!!!

Rod

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Dmudriver said:

However, the 103 has now returned to its (her?) Home Depot

In the meantime, what's this that has arrived in platform 1, sandwiched between the 25 and the 50?    Answers on a post card, please!!!

According to the news last night, ships are now gender neutral - not sure if that applies to trains yet....

Is the bog cart a Bury unit?

• Like 1

Dead right, both of you.  Yes, it's a Bury unit - Class 504.  It normally resides on David Hampson's "Oldham King Street Parcels".  It's effectively scratchbuilt: the sides were cut by Shawn at Easybuild, the cab ends were actually scratchbuilt by David; the bogies are Wayoh and I think the pick up apparatus is also scratchbuilt.

David has put third rail on his layout (the station side for those who know it) but, no, I'm not doing it for WKT!!!!  

The 105 is also David's - on loan - as was the 103 and the 101 a few months ago.  My plan now is to get a Regional Railways 101 for WKT: that will then bring the layout capacity to its maximum for efficient operation.  Anything new coming on will mean something else will have to go!!  However, that's a while in the future yet.

Who knows, we might even see a Reggie Rail 37/4 when Heljan release them.  Watch this space!!

Rod

But if you put in 3rd rail for 503 units, the 504 still wouldn't run because 1200v/side contact... Anyhow, 503s are prettier!

I just thought, in the WKT timeframe, the 503s may still have been in solid blue livery, I can't remember when they got blue/grey...

Edited by Hroth
Addition

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Simond said:

Well, if you put in 3rd rail, I’m sure it would be an easy step to run some green 503’s...

:)

Well, if you build them for him, I am sure Rod would consider putting in the third rail...

• Like 1

Is it me or is there something odd looking about the face of the 105?

apologies to the builder but the windows look too small.  I have an Easybuild 105 to do and the number panel in the middle of the front (not present on this model) is far too small. 

regards 

Paul R

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 20:43, Hroth said:

But if you put in 3rd rail for 503 units, the 504 still wouldn't run because 1200v/side contact... Anyhow, 503s are prettier!

I just thought, in the WKT timeframe, the 503s may still have been in solid blue livery, I can't remember when they got blue/grey...

Side contact??!!   :scratch_one-s_head_mini:  Not another complication!!!  I'll stick to DMUs ……… but I do agree the 503s are prettier than the 504s!!

I've just checked Wikipedia and it seems blue/grey livery came in in the late 70s, which does fit the timescale of the layout.

Rod

2 hours ago, pwr said:

Is it me or is there something odd looking about the face of the 105?

apologies to the builder but the windows look too small.  I have an Easybuild 105 to do and the number panel in the middle of the front (not present on this model) is far too small. 

regards 

Paul R

I hadn't thought about it, to be honest, Paul but here's a pic I've found from my collection (don't know where I got it from!) but it does support your suggestion:

54433672_2265183730206370_7579988820645380096_o.jpg.6b92f3d89a706cb03b5bb1a0a3d26265.jpg

As for the model, I assumed it was from an Easybuild kit but I've found this pic on the Easybuild website:

1850902891_EasybuildClass105.jpg.f480ce0fa20c6e4188b214ef5d1a4f37.jpg

which has larger windows.  I'll check the model tomorrow - it's got me curious now!!!

Rod

• Like 1

And finally for tonight, ………  the training tower is finished so here's a couple of pics of it in roughly the position it will occupy on the site.  Obviously, the building will be bigger now but that will move over to the left a bit, alongside a road which will likely come in from the bridge and curve round the back of the site, along the back wall.  Well, …. that's the concept but as I've said before, watch this space!!!   Things could well end up differently once I get the base set up off the layout.  The idea is that the paper you see is a template and I will build the model off the layout on foamboard and then fit it back on the layout when it's completed.

584687975_IMG_20190429_160516-Copy.jpg.c2927a2e6e358b56ef8a86582e1a8fbe.jpg

403459464_IMG_20190429_160609-Copy.jpg.2d8d6d8a22aad071942b740ff47db52a.jpg

there will now be a short intermission - well, a couple of weeks, actually  - when I won't be able to do any more, but I'll be back soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 6

Following on from the discussion about the 105 front end, here's a picture of the model I took today from dead in front:

896738088_IMG_20190430_140004-Copy.jpg.388a83b829b26434598ad2864cd9b8a4.jpg

I think this shows that the other picture is distorted by the 3/4 front angle, added to by the full yellow end wrapping round to the door.

Dave has been in touch with me and advised that the kit is by Westdale, with JLTRT window frames and some other details added by Dave.  The shape of the front is correct as he went to measure up, and photograph, the one at Bury and had a number of discussions with Dick at Westdale who was very keen to get the shape correct.  As for the window size?  A possible query but end on it certainly looks better than in the earlier pic of mine.

Rod

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

It's over a month since I posted!!   Part of that is due to going away to Northern Ireland for a fortnight with my partner - she was born and bred in and around Portrush and hasn't been back for years so it was a very nostalgic visit.  And the beaches are just superb in that area!!!

Anyway ……   to modelling!!  I've put a new chip and speakers in my 03, together with a stay-alive.  The latter because, for various reasons, the match truck wasn't picking up as effectively as it did.  I'll still run it with the match truck but there won't be any connecting wires between them.  The chip is a Zimo and it's got a Paul Chetter Activedrive (I think that's what it's called!) sound file.  It's good!!!  I'll try and get a video of it on my camera - I've tried on my phone but not very successfully!!  I've also changed the 2 sugar cube speakers under the 131 for a couple of small bass speakers and the sound (SWD) is much better - there's less "white noise" as I call it: the individual sounds are much clearer.  

I was having a problem with a slipping gear on my 50 - the toothed wheel belonging to the Delrin chain on the driving axle  was the one slipping.  A pal who's got steadier hands than mine drilled it and inserted a thin rod to stop it slipping.  I then found (when I got home) that a driving wheel is loose and wobbling - it looks as though the fixing screw on the end of the axle has come off and disappeared.  Knowing what JLTRT bogie sides are like on the 50 (no way to remove them if you followed the instructions!!), fixing that could be a problem.  I think, however, that it looks like the builder may have made them removable: at least that's what I'm telling myself!!!!

In other news, the fire station is coming along.  I've made the sides up and in the pics below I've held them together with Sellotape.  They need painting before fitting permanently so that's the next job.  The roof is just laid on top and there are no doors fitted yet - I'm planning to have the ones behind the engine open and the ones behind the Land Rover closed: just for a bit of variety!!    I think it's just the right size for that corner.  It might take a while to finish it but I'm happy I've made the right decision about that area.

Here's the first pic, showing how it fits in the general area:

IMG_20190531_175053.jpg.85f7ade61179b0e3ee539d9cab6d1d8d.jpg

Then a view from the front showing the training tower at the back:

77334929_IMG_20190531_175020-Copy.jpg.d85fcc53ab84dff8eb4cd4128a13d09e.jpg

and finally a fireman's (sorry, should that be "firefighter" in these politically correct times??!!) view as he/she walks up to the station:

665578715_IMG_20190531_175107-Copy.jpg.c506da72b7bea2b9d2e3cc747aa6fabd.jpg

The double door on the left is just a loose fit, unfortunately - I'll fix it in before painting.

I'm giving myself a day out tomorrow - to Doncaster Show by train.  I did it 2 years ago and had a really good day: I tried it last year and fell foul of Northern's timetable chaos!!  Fingers crossed that tomorrow will be OK.  Anyone else going?

More soon.

Rod

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Sticking my nose in.....

The Landrover at West Kirby was mainly used for attending hill-fires.  I'm not completely sure but from what I seem to remember, it had an open back, full of beaters for smacking the life out of heather fires! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the interesting comments about the Land Rover, gentlemen.  For the moment, though, I'll leave it as is.  (Too much else to do!!)  No offence meant - please keep the comments coming!!

Things move on, but slowly!!  Following my last post, I did get to Doncaster - a good day, so thanks are due to Northern and Trans Pennine for on time services.  Good bus connections from Doncaster station to the Dome and back, too!!  

I decided (on the way there!!) that I was going to get a Class 101 kit so, within 5 minutes of getting through the door, my credit card was in use and an Easybuild  Class 101 kit (power/trailer) was transferred to my name.  No motor, though, as I'm going to put an ABC Gears motor bogie gearbox in it - when it eventually comes!!!  A pal is going to build it for me - he's done a few DMUs for me - and for others - and it's on his work bench as I type!!  This is the unit it will represent:

class-101-dmu-1448731631-1200.jpg.a0a99f2043ef2b9cab3427b819446194.jpg

It will be finished as in the photo - straight out of work shop.  It's a bit out of my time scale, but Rule 1 applies and it's (in my world) the first one out of the paint shop and in its first week of operation in its new guise.

I've done nothing with the Class 50 driving wheel yet and the fire station is taking a while ………  Unfortunately, I spayed it in primer and then wanted a red/brown spray for the walls.  So, off to Halfords I trot and find in the store what looks like a nice reddish brown paint.  However, when I spray it on - I must admit, it goes on very well, the finish is superb - in sunlight it's a nice dark red wine colour.  Certainly not sandstone!!  So, the idea then is to airbrush a lighter brown colour on top to try and tone it down a bit.    And, then I find out that my airbrush doesn't work!!!!!  After checking it with another pal and his airbrush set-up, it's my compressor that isn't compressing properly.  So that's now with my engineer son-in-law to, hopefully, sort out for me.  So frustrating.!!!!

Anyway, to make progress on the fire station, I'm painting the window frames.  A fairly easy, but fiddly job - as seen here:

1754789773_P1060099-Copy.JPG.9e0997e62123a5b362a1ae69973de2b5.JPG

The frame for the centre pane should be slightly thinner as it doesn't open (as seen in the 2 frames top left) but it's difficult to spot close up and at normal viewing distance you won't be able to tell at all so I'm taking the easy way out and just making them all the same thickness (as bottom right)!!  4 more to go after these, and then 4 doors!!

What is holding up the modelling as much as anything, though, is that I keep playing - sorry, operating!!  Even if I'm only in the shed for a short time, I keep shunting stock around - from platform to siding or stabling point and vice versa. In the decent weather, though, I've had the whole layout operating.  Operating it is the reason I've built it but I also want it to look right so it's a balancing act, really.

I've made some alterations to my notional timetable.  The service to Wrexham via a reversal at Bidston has been scrapped - this now runs from New Brighton to Wrexham via Bidston so isn't seen on the layout..  The Manchester service has also been scrapped: the units now run via Bidston to Helsby where connections are available to Chester - Manchester services and connections to Wrexham are available at Bidston.  The reason for this?  It's just clearer/more logical to me when I'm operating!!  The loco-hauled Birmingham service still runs via Chester and Crewe. 

I've taken a few pics when I've been operating - here's a pick of the pics:

2 x Class 108 s in the stabling point, being prepped for their day's work

343338443_P1060106-Copy.JPG.d17258c6e02dce145f0fc700010a22b3.JPG

The 2-car is ready to leave and the driver awaits the hand signal to advise him the points are set for the headshunt route.

912480367_P1060100-Copy.JPG.be26046136441431da18a7b4b093ba0c.JPG

37029 is stabled in no. 2 siding with the Birmingham stock ready to shunt into the platform once the 205 has left for Birkenhead.  (sorry about the focussing!)

1737847119_P1060101-Copy.JPG.e7fda4d933d4c063803b85ad5694eeec.JPG

And, later in the day, the 115 is stabled in siding 1 awaiting the afternoon/evening rush hour, while the 131 is in the down siding waiting for the route to the mail order depot at Moreton

472880727_P1060103-Copy.JPG.0c1a486382e2538fe2aaf22c7df4632b.JPG

So, …. that's where I'm up to at the moment.  More soon but, in the meantime, don't hesitate to comment on anything!!

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 18

Rod

I will be interested to see this 101. I have a Westdale kit to build and it will be an interesting comparator. I've got a Westdale Motor Bogie kit with i

Paul R

• Like 1