West Kirby Town: Parcels traffic has increased.

Dmudriver

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rod,

My Gazette arrived in the back end of beyond today and I have just finished reading your article. Not only does it show off your layout very nicely but it's probably the best-written article I've seen in the Gazette for a long time. Nice one mate.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

I not a GoG member; is it possible o buy a one off of this Gazette issue - I really would like to read that article.

Hi Andy,  I am a G0G member - not sure for how much longer though.....   My copy hasn't got to me yet but hopefully I can answer your question. Back issues are available but only once they are over a year old for some reason https://www.gauge0guild.com/general/gazette.aspx Hopefully you can borrow/beg/buy a copy from someone sooner than that.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Ray.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Evening all.

This is my 3rd attempt to do this post!!!  Previously, if I left the page, I lost everything: the auto-save wasn't working for some reason.  So I deleted RMweb from my PC and reinstalled it and guess what - it now works like it should!!  I lost 45 minutes' work this morning!!   Hey ho!!  Back to the beginning again!!

What a busy weekend!!  I turned my computer on on Friday morning and found a couple of emails from former members of Preston 0 Gauge Group congratulating me on my article in the Gauge 0 Guild Gazette.  I didn't even know it was definitely appearing this month - I hoped it might, but the last information I had was that it would probably be in the New Year!!  I then found a couple of comments on here - before my copy of the Gazette arrived at about 1.30 pm (we're near the end of the postman's walk here!!)

Thank you for all your kind comments about the article: it makes the effort worthwhile.  I also got quite a few more compliments at MIOG at the weekend.  I was quite happy with the article: one of the captions is wrong and there's no track plan but it's completely as I wrote it. 

I received an email yesterday from the editor enclosing a photo sent in by a Gazette reader with another pic of West Kirby that I've not seen before.  This is it:

1477640258_WestKirby1980s.jpg.34218c79a6fbabf7af1d99e954622139.jpg

I reckon it's in the 1980s as there are 507/508 units and the track layout has not yet been rationalised (apart from the left hand siding having been lifted).  The fire station next door has been built and there's a few more weeds around!

Will there be a Part 2, as suggested in earlier posts?  Quite possibly, but only after I've finished the scenery - and how long that might take is like the proverbial piece of string!!  However, as I've indicated before, I've got my mojo back, so watch this space.

For those of you hankering after a 3rd rail, a germ of an idea got planted at MIOG at the weekend.  I was looking at Peter Clark's stand and he produces kits for Southern electrics.  I'm sure I could concoct a story as to how they got onto Merseyside - I've done it with the Thumper after all!!   There might have been power problems in bringing the real things to Merseyside and I don't know if they'd have fitted in the tunnels under the Mersey but Rule 1 would apply if I did go down that route  :biggrin_mini2:

However, don't expect any results soon (if at all!!!)  and I'm sorry, Craig and Nigel, the 115 would be staying, as would all the DMUs and diesel locos even if electrification did come about!!  There were covetous glances being cast at the "Reggie Rail" 101 at the weekend but that is going nowhere either!!

Friday late afternoon and evening was spent helping to set up "Apethorne Junction" at the MIOG exhibition.   Over the weekend my 131 ran coupled to the 3-car 108: although they have different chips (Zimo and Loksound respectively) and different sound files (Paul Chetter and SWD) I got them running well in synchronisation.  My Thumper ran solo, as did the RR 101 and my Heljan 128 ran coupled to another, but that one adapted to have a central window in the front and a 4 character headcode box.

I took some pics on the Sunday afternoon - I was too busy the rest of the time!!  First, the 131/108 enters platform 1 from the tunnel:

545450097_IMG_20191103_154231-CopyR.jpg.6012372fb1819e6f25ab41c0e3f3455b.jpg

Next, it draws to a stand in the platform:

1981923518_IMG_20191103_154342-CopyR.jpg.25bc0aa373e7421bb31ca032a9a0bbe7.jpg

Then a view of the rear of the train from above the tunnel.  Those rear lights are actually red - It's the phone camera that's not reproduced the colour properly!!

1995969789_IMG_20191103_154418-CopyR.jpg.ddd97d53bf15d6071073021d876096ec.jpg

Having completed its stop the train sets off from the station:

710606822_IMG_20191103_154559-CopyR.jpg.cf3c73f0c21cb36ec53e3992abfa27b0.jpg

And finally, the RR 101 approaches from the opposite direction:

322902153_IMG_20191103_155156-CopyR.jpg.c3e3acc04abe1c21cf56eee6b91b9d99.jpg

So that's the updated situation.....  ah, well, .... almost.  I've mentioned before that I'd like to model a particular parcels DMU combination - as seen here:

image.png.d36d2df56cbd68324368e87566548f57.png

So I've ordered a kit from Shawn at Easybuild of a Class 116 DMS without the motor and gears or seats.  I already have the 128 and the GUV.  Building that might put the scenery back a bit but I'll aim to alternate the 2.

So that's the news up to now.   Watch this space for more coming soon.

Rod

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I've been admiring this layout for a while without checking where it is, other than somewhere up North. The third rail chat has alerted me and gallingly I was up there recently and did a random trip to New Brighton and even walked half way to kirby, without ever twigging!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

I reckon it's in the 1980s as there are 507/508 units and the track layout has not yet been rationalised (apart from the left hand siding having been lifted).  The fire station next door has been built and there's a few more weeds around!

Other date-bracketing clues, the signal box hasn't been torn down and right-near-background is the Tudor Cinema/Bingo Hall/Council Offices and the small "cottage-like" building that used to be a repair garage/MOT station that were all swept away by Aldi and its car park.

1 hour ago, billy_anorak59 said:

westkirby-lots-FB.jpg.6f0de1974104a7e0b65052ee743ac3ac.jpg

Just sayin'    :smoke:

I've a few like that!

(One posted a bit back in the thread.  Page 68, 16th October 2017 @ 18:16)

Edited by Hroth
extra info
  • Like 1

Hi Rod.

Congratulations on your excellent article in the current Gazette which dropped through my letterbox on Saturday morning. A really good read and thank you for writing it up so we can all enjoy it without having to fire up our computers to see it on RMweb. Well done.

Rod

• Thanks 1

Hello Rod,

I agree with the others. An excellent article.

I had a wander around Google satellite and Street View to look at the current configuration of West Kirby. You get a clear view of the front of the station building as it is now. You can also get a nice view of the station layout from Bridge Road. I did a screen grab of the latter.  The only part of the current track formation not shown is the facing crossover on the other side of Bridge Road bridge which gives access for incoming trains to the right hand platform.

1714424299_WestKirby1(2)ed.png.22c1da491175544165cd9823af1876bb.png

It makes an interesting comparison with your rendition . And there is the Fire Station -  I look forward to developments on your's!

Ian.

Edited by Ian Major
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all.

This last week has been pretty well occupied with reprogramming chips.  As you'll recall a number (in fact, the majority) of my units and locos are fitted with Zimo chips and I use Paul Chetter's sound files with ActiveDrive.  Obviously with having DMUs and DPUs I want to run them in multiple  and make up and break down consists. 

At the recent MIOG Show, I "dumbed down" (my expression) the Active Drive so that the Zimo-fitted units just slowed down and stopped without using a separate brake function.  However, on my own layout I want a bit more than that so I have been attempting to run these units together, using ActiveDrive.  Unfortunately, the braking function would only work on one unit and if that wasn't the Heljan 128, said 128 kept going, pushing the lighter Easybuild unit which was trying to brake!!!!  Caused me a few panicky moments!!!

I put a question on one of the DCC sub-forums here on RMweb and have received some fantastic help.  I am now into "advanced consisting".  This means that now, not only do 3 units run together but the brake function works on all 3, I can turn the engines on and off again, etc, on all 3 at once.   The operating possibilities are opening up!!  I'm aiming to do a video of all 3 running together, splitting  and setting off again in 2 portions.  It's getting really like operating the real thing!!  That video could be a day or two, though, as the next couple of days are busy with non-railway-modelling matters. 

I've still got 2x DMUs which have ESU decoders so I'll run those 2 together at times - they don't have the braking function on them - until such time as I replace the ESUs with Zimos.  The Thumper can't couple to anything else as it has buckeye couplings so that will keep the ESU decoder for the foreseeable future.  

I've received the 116 kit today so I'll be starting that shortly.   I also want to try and fit red marker lights to the Heljan 128 - I nearly sent it back as I thought they weren't working.  I found out first that Heljan didn't fit them, so I kept the unit!!  It offends me that there aren't red lights on the rear of it - something will have to be done!!!

I've got my mojo back!!!!  Watch this space - more soon.

Rod

• Like 3

Hi Rod,

Was hoping to to get to MIGO last weekend, but unfortunately had other tasks in the way, heard it was very good. 

Also would have liked to have seen Apethorne jct again.... grrr.

i am hoping to meet up with Dave H. at Letchworth with OKSP, will you be there?

Good to hear you now have a 116 unit - look forward to seeing progress on that.

Regards

Nigel

Hi all.

A frustrating day today.  I went into the shed this afternoon, all ready to make a video - and found the advanced consisting didn't work.  I don't know why, but I suspect that I didn't take all the 3 units out of the consist last time and just assumed I had when I started this afternoon.  So I had to go back to square 1 with 2 of them - CV8 = 8 and then change a fair number of CVs until I got them how I wanted.  By that time I'd run out of time and had to get to the local farm shop before it shut!!

Whatever the reason was I think it's something I've not done right, so this time I've taken all 3 units out of the consist and we'll see what happens when I try again tomorrow afternoon.

On 14/11/2019 at 07:31, Lodekka said:

i am hoping to meet up with Dave H. at Letchworth with OKSP, will you be there?

Hi Nigel.  No, I'm not going to Letchworth but no doubt we'll get the chance to meet up some time in the future.

On 14/11/2019 at 07:31, Lodekka said:

Good to hear you now have a 116 unit - look forward to seeing progress on that.

It could be slow!!!  I've taken it out of the box (and put it back again!!) and printed the instructions off Easybuild's website but I'm concentrating on this advanced consisting for now.   It'll be good to sit at the modelling desk again, though.   Watch this space!!

More soon.

Rod

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rod,

Sorry for the radio silence the past few months.  Hope you are doing ok - nice to see WKT progressing well, am I keeping an eye on what your doing - love the RR 101 :) I frequently recall my visit to WKT and thoroughly enjoyed the day, and this thread!

Rich

• Thanks 1

Hi all.

I said I'd do a video - well, you've got 5!!  But only because I can't work out how to make them into 1!!!  

They're on the basis of trying to show off the advanced consisting.  The 4-car arrives and stops in the platform, brakes working on all 3 units: all the engines shut down together, then the 2 parcels cars start up together and set off.  Later the 101 is started up and also sets off.

Enjoy!!

For some reason, I couldn't get Movie Maker to work so these were done on Youtube.  And even that's got a new video creator!!  And apologies for the squeak on the 101 - it's a pick-up that hasn't worn in yet!!

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
spelling
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

12 hours ago, jcarta said:

Brilliant videos..... Every time I put 2 locos in a consist they just seem to push / pull against one another resulting in tripping the NCE setup...

Thanks for the compliment about the videos, Jim.

I understand what you mean about the directions in a consist - with 3 you get at least 2 going the same way!!  However, it took me a while to work out what the Lenz manual was getting at - I got all 3 units going the same way eventually, but they didn't move in the direction that was showing on the hand controller!!!!!!

I sorted it eventually but, to be honest, I can't remember how!!!!   And I'm not sure I understood it, anyway!!  :D

Rod

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Not much news to share, I'm afraid.  I've spent time maintaining units - mainly the 2-car 108 which was running sluggishly.  I've stripped the bogies down and cleaned them of years of accumulated muck, etc and it does run better now.

However, there has been an interloper on the layout!!  This:

474327515_IMG_20191205_142030(2).jpg.36ea0b29d5665560c0c2fa7719a591de.jpg

And from a different angle:  (sorry it's a bit blurred - mobile phone was probably too close!!)**

1767041921_IMG_20191205_142042(2).jpg.be1e77949e0e91a10d84561cb264f74a.jpg

It belongs to a pal who wanted to know what it sounded like (he's not into DCC but the loco came fitted with it). 

I've not yet dreamed up a cover story for its presence in WKT but I'm sure the Preservation Society based at New Brighton will have something to do with it when I've got a story.  Suggestions are welcome, by the way!!

In case anyone thinks I'm going over to the "dark side" (said tongue in cheek for any steam people out there!!) it's left the layout already!!!  I've still got just the one kettle (the Ivatt 2-6-2T).

More soon.

Rod

**  Or I didn't hold it steady!!

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

9Fs worked the Shotton iron ore trains from Bidston dock, up the line from the docks through Upton & Neston -  Now, if, for example, the main line were unavailable, it would have been possible to go via Rock Ferry and Hooton, but, if the West Kirby - Thurstaston - Willaston - Neston (now the "Wirral Way") had still been open, it would have been theoretically possible to get there via WKT, which would have avoided the potential bottleneck between the Birkenhead (road) tunnel and the shipyard.

And Warren Shepherd does the bogie iron ore wagons in etched brass (you only need 20 or so for a prototypical rake, along with an LNER/BR toad), so, along with the 3rd rail, you'll have enough to keep you busy for a few days...

I do like 9Fs...

atb

Simon

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, Simond said:

9Fs worked the Shotton iron ore trains from Bidston dock, up the line from the docks through Upton & Neston -  Now, if, for example, the main line were unavailable, it would have been possible to go via Rock Ferry and Hooton, but, if the West Kirby - Thurstaston - Willaston - Neston (now the "Wirral Way") had still been open, it would have been theoretically possible to get there via WKT, which would have avoided the potential bottleneck between the Birkenhead (road) tunnel and the shipyard.

And Warren Shepherd does the bogie iron ore wagons in etched brass (you only need 20 or so for a prototypical rake, along with an LNER/BR toad), so, along with the 3rd rail, you'll have enough to keep you busy for a few days...

I do like 9Fs...

Hi Simon.

I've clicked on the "funny" emoji as I was laughing as I read your post!!  It's feasible although the thought of a 9F and 20 bogie iron ore wagons on the Joint (single) Line to Hooton does raise the eyebrows a bit.  My pal has talked about the ICI hoppers rather than the iron ore wagons - he wants to run them behind his 9F on the club's continuous layout.  

I have to admit it's rather a nice loco but 10 coupled wheels didn't like my pointwork too much!!!  Just a shame he's not going to use the DCC sound, though. 

However, there's no chance it will become a regular visitor to WKT.  If there is another kettle, maybe an ex-GWR 14xx, with an autocoach or two ....  BUT ...... that's only a possibility, not a probability!!!

Rod

4 hours ago, Simond said:

I don't think some of the underbridges along the line would have taken a 9F, there was a little girder culvert at Caldy Cliffs for one, basically built on sand/soft sandstone, it would have been a dicy journey!  I've seen a photo of a Horwich Crab on a freight train along the line, so if the iron-ore train were split... 

6 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

Not much news to share, I'm afraid. 

Seeing its getting close to Christmas, you should be running Parcels Specials from Moreton!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1