West Kirby Town: narrow gauge may be coming to town.

Dmudriver

2 hours ago, billy_anorak59 said:

M28690M is the preserved 503 at Margate.

Stuck against the far wall, painted in its LMS livery and in a rather ratty state after being left outside for far too long at the Electric Railway Museum.

https://theisleofthanetnews.com/2018/05/30/last-surviving-mersey-rail-class-503-train-arrives-at-locomotive-storage-in-margate/

I went on it when it had been restored to 30s condition, depressing to see it looking like this.

Edited by Hroth
Link to more info
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, billy_anorak59 said:

Think this might be more detail of 'The Wall'?  Might help anyway.

BTW: M28690M is the preserved 503 at Margate.WK1.jpg.db3257bad8effff1616ceb72536dca94.jpg

That's interesting - the conductor rail has wooden protection on one side only - first time I have seen that. Could this be an LMS thing?

Paul R

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, pwr said:

That's interesting - the conductor rail has wooden protection on one side only - first time I have seen that. Could this be an LMS thing?

There's also a check rail on the platform line which I've never noticed before.  Looking at other pics in my collection, I can see it, now that I know what I'm looking for!!   However, it's only short and, as it is not an immediately obvious feature of the layout, I'll leave it for now unless and until I get round to some super-detailing.

Rod

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dmudriver said:

There's also a check rail on the platform line which I've never noticed before.  Looking at other pics in my collection, I can see it, now that I know what I'm looking for!!   However, it's only short and, as it is not an immediately obvious feature of the layout, I'll leave it for now unless and until I get round to some super-detailing.

Rod

Yes I see that. The curve is not that sharp so I wonder why that was installed. It doesn't feature in the siding either.

Paul R

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, pwr said:

Yes I see that. The curve is not that sharp so I wonder why that was installed. It doesn't feature in the siding either

I suspect because it's the sharpest bit of the curve on that platform line , Paul.   I'd think it was probably just within the limits  for check rails - hence why there isn't one in the siding.

Rod

• Informative/Useful 1

On 07/07/2020 at 20:23, pauliebanger said:

Now who's teasing?

Yep!!  But I also had a look on Peter Clark's site.  He does 2 and 4 EPBs and 2 HAPs, together with 4 VEPs.  All are high density units but would be difficult to multi-up, other than with each other (because of the couplings) and even then, my platforms only hold 5 vehicles rather than 6.  Plus I'd have to sell some DMUs 1) to make room on the layout and in storage and 2) to raise some money!!  So, all in all, at the moment, it's not really a goer.   But .......  if you don't consider these things, you'd be left wondering "should I have ....?"  

Rod

• Like 1

On Monday I was talking about how my experience driving DMUs at Llangollen has shaped my thinking on driving models, etc.   So what should turn up on my Facebook page this morning but these 2 pics of the DMU Gala at Llangollen in 2010!!

The first, coming out of the depot in the Wickham for my first trip of the day:

35794_1466248769039_6859882_n.jpg.1e253a33743fa984c49e980ad36e7a61.jpg

[Note: those are white lights on the front, not red!!!] 

and then thrashing up the Dee Valley in the 104 in multiple with the 108:

35794_1466248729038_4860495_n.jpg.1402417e2f3c488c261c06d944aa38e9.jpg

Oh, happy days!!  I did enjoy them!!  

The note with the pics says it was a stinking hot day, hence why the tie had disappeared in the second pic!!

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 8

When John Betjeman went to Hunstanton, he went on a Cravens and a Derby Lightweight!

Nice pics!

[Note: those are white lights on the front, not red!!!]

15w incandescent bulbs, I expect!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

On 08/07/2020 at 21:50, Hroth said:

15w incandescent bulbs, I expect!

Could be - but I can't remember that far back!!  (I retired in 2013!!)

Can still remember where to find them in the stores coach, though!   Mind you, that's probably be reorganised in the last 7 years!!

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Funny 1

I'm making slow progress, but progress none the less!  The low relief warehouse backs have been delivered and I've primed them today.  Here they are:

IMG_20200712_164325.jpg.666244c1ba29c0d0134cc7d063e108f7.jpg

The overlays are not glued on yet, they're just resting in place.  They all need some weathering but I think they'll do the job.

I've tried them on the layout  and 4 of them fit behind the signalling diagram but the walls and about half of the cladding are visible.  The 5th is in full view.  

I've also had some other stuff delivered but that's for another day.  As I always say, watch this space!

Rod

PS   My spray booth was an old bed sheet on top of the wheelie bins outside in the garden!!   Worked perfectly!!

• Like 7

Exciting times down on the Wirral peninsular and I'm eagerly awaiting some pictures of them in situ.

Ahh thanks for your PS as I was wondering about your bedspread design.

Regards 

• Funny 1

More progress on the warehouse backs.  I picked out various bricks in differing colours for some variety.   I then put a thin coat of Johnsons Klear over  the walls (yes, I've still got a bottle of the original stuff!!) and then, when that was dry, added mortar using a finishing filler.  So here's a pic of a couple of backs before and after filler.

IMG_20200715_114555.jpg.740ab6524bd60f863a4e1c2133f1cb83.jpg

and with the cladding laid on top:

IMG_20200715_114928.jpg.98e98be761da54115c444d4cbb480340.jpg

I am rather pleased with that!!  Needs a line of paint for the fire door frame and then possibly some dirtyish weathering but I'll leave that dirtying until I've done the other 4 walls.  The yellow bricks were a bit of a waste of time and paint as they disappear when the filler's applied - there were a few on the right-hand wall!!

I'd already done a bit of this on the rear wall of the fire station and I finished that off with another coat of Klear.  It gives a cleaner appearance which I think is appropriate to a new building.  I'll leave the warehouses as they are.  

465953520_IMG_20200715_140733(2).jpg.c27581bf3872f981343ff8573b769c53.jpg

I'll finish the warehouses before I finish the fire station as it will allow me to refine my technique - the warehouses are flat whereas the fire station  has different layers which I found a bit difficult.  Nevertheless, I'm not unhappy with that.

Finally, this is the filler I've used - no doubt other brands are available.  I've learned it only needs a tiny bit at a time and using the Klear first seems to fill in minute crevices in the primer that the filler otherwise finds!!

IMG_20200715_120815.jpg.b6f89d574773637eed4db59496376790.jpg

I'm sure that I'm teaching some grandmothers  - and granddads!! - to suck eggs here but all of this is new to me!!  As I've said my main interest has always been operations and scenery has taken very much a back seat in the past.  So this is really a voyage of discovery*** for me.   I hope however that my experience is maybe helping others who may be reading this.

Onwards and upwards - more soon.

Rod

***  I've just finished binge-watching 79 episodes of "Vikings" - hence the metaphor!

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

Coming along nicely!

How about a blocked rain hopper between two of the warehouse "units", with green gunk cascading down the brickwork as well as the dirtyish weathering?

Yuck!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Hroth said:

How about a blocked rain hopper between two of the warehouse "units", with green gunk cascading down the brickwork as well as the dirtyish weathering?

I intend to get some drainpipes to hide the join between the units, so yes, that looks a possibility!

Rod

• Like 5

On 15/07/2020 at 22:31, Dmudriver said:

I intend to get some drainpipes to hide the join between the units, so yes, that looks a possibility!

Rod

If people are interested in these units, I can combine them if you need a run of them.

• Like 1

Hi all.

I've been working on the warehouse backs and these pics show what they look like:

2054116105_IMG_20200723_163451-Copy.jpg.bdf9808e6da461f50ec8cf768f947175.jpg

1512253210_IMG_20200723_163513-Copy.jpg.59a7660f118247d51a7fdcf0d72444f9.jpg

They aren't fixed in place yet as I just wanted to see how they look.  They contrast with the building to the left but that's been there years - before any Clean Air Acts and probably before electrification!!  These are relatively newer built but still showing signs of their age  with the rust on the (cheap) metal cladding.  

What do you think?  I'm not oversure about the rust on the cladding but I couldn't really find any decent pics.  I found ones indicating where problems occurred and where rust formed (on an engineers' site!!) but have I overdone it?  

The weeds are attached to the buildings at the moment, I'll put them on the ground once the buildings are bedded in.

Now I've the fire station to finish - after all the grouting I've done on these that should feel a bit easier!!  Then there are some trees to make and the area next to the end warehouse to build up - and I've no ideas yet!!!

More soon, though.

Rod

PS  Has anyone any ideas at to where I could get some "Fire exit.  Keep clear" signs to put on the doors?

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

Has anyone any ideas at to where I could get some "Fire exit.  Keep clear" signs to put on the doors?

Sorry no, they must be available for "modern image" 7mm modelling.  I don't need such things for my O16.5 narrow gauge light railway set in the dawn of the 1960s.....  :locomotive:

• Like 1

Wow Rod that backscene work is great with my favourite piece of track work laying in front of it.

You pick up on your warehouse backs saying you're not over sure about the rusting, I agree it does look a little too uniform. 

I have some photos of corrugated-tin warehouses showing rust, I'll see if I can find them.

You may want to have a look here https://www.sankeyscenics.com/bespoke-items they have a big selection of signs and detail notices in all the major scales.

They have given some away as inserts in the monthly Hornby MAG.

Best

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

I have some photos of corrugated-tin warehouses showing rust, I'll see if I can find them.

Thanks, Barnaby, that  would be useful.   I've assumed the rust starts at the edges of sheets, and maybe the sheets are too small, or alternatively it starts at bolt holes.

However, more information will be gratefully received.

I'm back on the fire station  in the meantime.

Rod

• Like 2