West Kirby Town: narrow gauge may be coming to town.

Dmudriver

Things are moving on with the scenery.  I've reached the target I set myself for this weekend.  It's basic, but it's a lot better than bare boards!!  I'll take a break for a while now and let detailing ideas swirl around in my brain for a bit.

I've used a lot of static grass in what I've done since last time.  It looks a bit uniform in length although it does vary from 2 to 6mm.  The contrast in colours needs some thought so it's a question of how to blur the edges.  All in all, though, an interesting exercise and for my first attempt at scenery, I'm quite chuffed!!

Anyway, here's some pics:

1014759148_IMG_20200906_154258-Copy.jpg.1cb0f43bf6a785fed922562f5ce75bcf.jpg

972089647_IMG_20200906_154320-Copy.jpg.c8552c8d004360ad013b87f2e92c516c.jpg

868682843_IMG_20200906_154349-Copy.jpg.d061aa2084eb0124c0f8584f00c7b27b.jpg

Fences are going to help how it looks, as will some trees -- and pretty obviously now, a backscene.

However, the next task is to do the videoing for the G0G Virtual Show.  That's planned for tomorrow - a pal is coming over to operate while I film.  And that is really why I wanted to get to this stage with the scenery.  It's a pity they want the video so soon but I understand the reasons for it.  I might be tempted to put a few stills on here - so watch this space!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 02/09/2020 at 22:08, Hal Nail said:

I'm probably being thick but what is a 5th wheel coupling?

By the way Ixo also do a tk rigid - it's about half the price of the artic as well!

One TK Rigid acquired! I am going to shorten the chassis and replace the body.

Bedford-11.jpg.49c8ff5de4282c21a8a09ffe4bdd22c9.jpg

Unlike the artic version this is LHD and will need converting

Paul R

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

However, the next task is to do the videoing for the G0G Virtual Show.  That's planned for tomorrow - a pal is coming over to operate while I film. 

The best laid plans, etc .....     Not only is it raining this morning but the M55 is shut due to an accident and that means Preston is gridlocked!!  I did 1.25 miles in half an hour earlier on my way to do the school run:  that got cancelled and alternative arrangements made.  Means my pal can't get here either, therefore videoing has been put off until a date to be decided.

Frustrating!!

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 08/09/2020 at 02:06, MarshLane said:

the photos we did last year

Hi Rich.

I read that and I thought "was it a year ago?"   I then checked back and it was actually August 2018!!  Doesn't time fly??! 

As you say, though, the scenery does look better now than it did then.

Hope everything is OK with you?

Rod

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just stepping onto the football pitch for a min.

We both support a Liverpool team you Everton me Liverpool.

I've supported Liverpool for some 65 years now and it is looking like after a long time you toffees have got a great manager and a useful team.

Looking forward to our first meeting this year should be something special.

Fire truck corner is looking very smart.

Best

9 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Looking forward to our first meeting this year should be something special.

Hi Barnaby.

I've supported Everton for 70+ years and seen good and bad times - as you have done with your team.  However, the bad are more recent and therefore fresher in the memory!!  I was very impressed on Sunday with our display but I've seen enough false dawns to be wary.  In fact, in the past I have thought about getting "It's the hope that kills you" engraved in the lintel above the front door!!!!

This time, though, it's 3 new players who all played well and really changed the feeling amongst supporters judging by the reaction on social media and in the press - and amongst the other players, too.  So roll on 17th October and 20th February '21.  You may not find it so easy this season!!

"Fire truck corner is looking very smart"   Thanks for the comment - I must admit to being rather pleased with that area, though there's a lot more to do!!

I'll probably get a decent road bridge, too.  I've had a quote from Intentio for a kit of the actual bridge and I'm likely to accept it.  So, as I often say, watch this space!!!

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
Inserted "Sunday" to replace "Saturday"!!!!
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

Hi Rich.

I read that and I thought "was it a year ago?"   I then checked back and it was actually August 2018!!  Doesn't time fly??! 

As you say, though, the scenery does look better now than it did then.

Hope everything is OK with you?

Rod

Hi Rod, 

Good god, it’s never two years ago. Ok come on who is it on this thread that has hit the fast forward button on life!

Looking forward to seeing the video footage next month, I did a double take on that last shot, really has changed the concept of that corner. Well done mate. I look forward to being able to get together again next year hopefully. Stay safe.

Rich

• Like 3

On 16/09/2020 at 07:45, billy_anorak59 said:

Love the under the canopy shot Rod - it really looks the part - as this prototype shot shows:

I thought I'd seen that pic before, billy_anorak59, but I haven't.  This is the one I was thinking of - obviously a different trip:

9856838904_103d03f110_o.jpg.1800b96cf89e82b19e1030da60ae846e.jpg

Yours is now added to my collection, thanks.

Rod

PS  Does anyone know how to replicate the platform surface above?

• Like 3

On 16/09/2020 at 09:55, pwr said:

Just lacks a couple of EMU's Ha ha!! 

You may joke, Paul, but the last few days the thought of some displaced SR high density stock has been floating around in my brain!!  Peter Clark does kits!!! :yes:  :laugh_mini2:

Don't bank on it, but I like to have a long term goal and I've started thinking "after the majority of the scenery is done .... what then?"   Another alternative is to somehow get the fire engine and the Land Rover responding to a shout  - but that at the moment is rather fanciful!!!!

Rod

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

He does indeed. I shall watch with interest!  He also does BRUTE trollies and I am thinking of getting a couple for Black Notley for when I operate as a 70's period. I have the Bachmann electric tractor units. 

Paul R

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

I've not been here for a couple of weeks or more - and I've not really done much modelling, other than some painting on the yellow BMC FG lorry.  I think it's a reaction to all the effort I put into the scenery and videoing earlier in the month.

However, my mojo is coming back and I'm looking at doing the fencing round the fire station so watch this space.

Before that, however, ....... I subscribe to the online version of "British Railway Modelling" and I got this month's a couple of days ago.  What is the first layout in the mag?  Croydon North Street - SR 3rd rail EMUs in 4mm scale!!  "Tasty" was the word that went through my mind!!  Here's a screenshot:

1999942168_Screenshot(39).png.699bc002aec66b716b7ca0123311df90.png

And as I look through the magazine, I get to the Reviews section and see this:

1277073024_Screenshot(38).png.b3d6a5479336ba0c315a4332521a758b.png

4mm again, but I am tempted!!

Then this morning I was looking for some old curtains I thought I had hidden away somewhere and came across loads of 00 track and points (as well as N gauge and 00-9!!).  All from many, many years ago.  Then I remembered my 4mm class 158 in RR livery, Class 108 in blue, Class 50 LLB and a blue 08, together with a couple of BGs.  The possibility of getting side tracked is looming very large.  Added to which Andy Peters is setting a precedent by also planning to do a 4mm layout so I get the feeling things are conspiring against me!!!!

I've got until the end of the month (the Guild Virtual Exhibition) but then I'll need keeping in check, I think!!  On that subject, I've said I'll do some live Zoom sessions on the day on the layout - sort of "ask the operator" type of thing as operating the layout while holding a camera will be a bit difficult!!  It's possible a friend could come and help me, but at the moment local Covid-19 restrictions prevent that.  There's still time for things to change though!!

Going back to things Merseyrail, however, I follow a forum on here about Third-Rail EMU photos and, seeing pics of 503s at West Kirby and other places, I have just found out that there is a manufacturer that 3-D prints Class 503s.  (The notification popped up as I was typing the preceding paragraph!!)  Not in 7mm but it might be worth following up.

Who knows, third-rail at WKT might just happen!!

It all keeps my mind active during the local lockdown!!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Simond said:

Green 503‘s with yellow ends!

Ick!!!

Actually, I think they went from green  with small yellow panels to blue, with the ends dipped in custard then to blue/grey with ends ditto.

Those 414s are so crude, angular with slam doors. 503s are the only true way!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The only preserved unit (of 1938 stock) was painted in LMS colours and after a period of outdoors neglect at the Electric Railway Museum is now under cover at Hornbys 1:1 storage facility at Margate.

image.png.1fb0ea4dd3811677cf1aa3543ff671f2.png

Image Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_503

It'd be nice if they would do a model of it in OO*, rather than all the ugly Southern stock that's being churned out by them and Bachmann...

* Plenty of liveries to coat it in!

Edited by Hroth
Transfer extra content to new post...
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

Hi all.

I've not been here for a couple of weeks or more - and I've not really done much modelling, other than some painting on the yellow BMC FG lorry.  I think it's a reaction to all the effort I put into the scenery and videoing earlier in the month.

However, my mojo is coming back and I'm looking at doing the fencing round the fire station so watch this space.

Before that, however, ....... I subscribe to the online version of "British Railway Modelling" and I got this month's a couple of days ago.  What is the first layout in the mag?  Croydon North Street - SR 3rd rail EMUs in 4mm scale!!  "Tasty" was the word that went through my mind!!  Here's a screenshot:

1999942168_Screenshot(39).png.699bc002aec66b716b7ca0123311df90.png

And as I look through the magazine, I get to the Reviews section and see this:

1277073024_Screenshot(38).png.b3d6a5479336ba0c315a4332521a758b.png

4mm again, but I am tempted!!

if Bachmann ever produced this in O gauge I’d be in trouble. The kits that are available aren’t quite right in the face which puts me off

• Like 1
  • Agree 1