West Kirby Town: narrow gauge may be coming to town.

Dmudriver

9 hours ago, Simond said:

well, it seems to me that the modellers that I’ve seen/met/talked to over the years fall into one of a few categories.  I’m not putting value judgements on any of it, just reflecting on my observations, and wondering...

Some never achieve a layout completed to any substantial degree, this might be because they bit off more than they could chew, or that their circumstances changed, or they hadn’t though it through, or their attention span does not stretch to the required timescale that models, even little ones, take.

Some build something, run it for a while, and then want to move on.  The pleasure is perhaps as much or more in the building as the operation.  Chaz’ lovely Dock Green might fall into this group, I recall he said as much when selling it.  I suspect this is also the preferred approach of many of the more prolific exhibitor modellers, who want to challenge themselves, and in some cases also want to earn a crust from their modelling too.

Some have a few models, favourite locos typically, though sometimes substantial collections, which they run at their pals’ or club tracks, and these guys are probably much of the backbone of club modelling.

Others build something over a lifetime, and I guess their kids take it to bits, eventually.  Don’t really want to think too much about the latter aspect!

I guess we all go through the first phase, probably more than once, I did myself a couple of times, before settling down to a fairly self-disciplined approach, and sticking to it, more or less, much to my own surprise, for well over twenty years.  One day, maybe, the layout of which my loco shed is an intended module, will get built.  It is, at last, a realistic possibility, so keep your fingers crossed!

People talk about model railways never being finished, but I think that’s the whole point, they’re not supposed to be.

But what are you going to do?  Buying models of a different scale is potentially a slippery slope!  

Could you backdate WKT and run it in steam days?  I’ve joked lots about 503’s, and I’d still love to see them on your layout as that would be a nostalgia trip for me, but I think it would look great with “proper” locos, even if that raised some different operational necessities.  Coal tanks and plum coaches?!

I guess some of your scenic items would have to be changed.  The Portacabin and the fire station could be swapped for something of an earlier era, perhaps, and the road vehicles of course.    With two sets of stock, and some swappable scenery you’d have two different layouts.

Would you be able to manage turning trains, perhaps by use of a station pilot, without stretching credibility too far?  Using tank locos would be logical, I guess and if you wanted bigger locos, they could always be sent to Bidston for turning!

whatever you do, enjoy!

cheers

Simon

You make some very valid points Simon

Due to a restructuring at work I am now facing redundancy and this has enabled me to bring forward my retirement plans but I have had nagging doubts about Black Notley given its size. I don't meant that its necessarily too big but at some point in the next few years the fact that I can't put it up in the house is going to be a problem and I have wondered about using the two fiddle yard boards to create a 12ft layout or building another to get to 18ft so I can put it up in the conservatory.  It would mean shorter trains but I could get a small BLT on it and run DMU's or may be even 2 coach passenger trains. I might even go DCC!

I've just got some of those new White Rose trestles which would mean I can put the layout or bits of it up much more quickly than having to faff around with legs that have to be bolted together but the fact remains I don't have enough space at home to have a layout  permanently erected. The plan for now is to make the most of my active years, build out Notley  and maybe join the local model railway club which has an active O gauge section and when the time comes sell it and build something much smaller.

I still have a lot of kits to build but I do want somewhere to run them!!!!

I guess we all have to make hard choices and my biggest regret is not having enough time on my hands to properly enjoy my modelling, something which now I hope to rectify. I am certainly not going to spend my retirement in front of the TV!

Paul R

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Then there are some who never get anything done because they spend too much time on forums.

Joking aside, if that’s how they enjoy their hobby (akin to “sports’ fans” who watch rather than partake) then who are we to judge?

(If they are dissatisfied with their lack of progress, however, then they are numpties but again, who are we to judge?)

• Agree 2

• Dmudriver changed the title to West Kirby Town - back in the groove!!
21 hours ago, Simond said:

well, it seems to me that the modellers that I’ve seen/met/talked to over the years fall into one of a few categories.  I’m not putting value judgements on any of it, just reflecting on my observations, and wondering...

Some really good thoughts there, Simon!!   

I'm not going to change scales, however much I hanker to have some of those lovely panelled LNWR coaches.  And being realistic I can't see myself getting back to LNWR on this layout or even in 7mm.   Maybe a few yards of 00 track (which I've got) to run the Coal Tank up and down on but no more.

I've changed the thread title - to add "back in the groove":  It's not been a bad day today so I've been outside and have run all my stock - changing everything round in the station area, so everything has at least had a run to the fiddle yard and back!!  That's after I'd cleared away a few cobwebs!!!

I've also planted a few more fence posts so I'll aim to paint some more tonight and get them all in in the next few days.

Photos when I've done them.  Until then ..........   Watch this space!!!

Rod

• Like 7

On 22/11/2020 at 20:32, Dmudriver said:

Good question, Indomitable026.  Go to the top of the class - you've really been paying attention!!!     :clapping_mini:

I had thought that one through, though - before your question!! (Honest!!)   Either the DMU that the fuel tank is blocking in would propel it into the headshunt  and leave it there for the 25 to couple up to, or, a DMU on its way into the stabling point would drag it into the headshunt and propel it onto the back of the 25: alternatively, the 25 could run into the headshunt and couple to the tanker and then set off, or go to an empty siding to await departure, allowing the DMU to stable.  I think those would be permissible moves as the tanker is now empty.

Rod

Thanks for that.

I wasn’t trying to catch you out, I was genuinely interested to know if DMUs were permitted to be used to shunt tank wagons.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stephenwolsten said:

Hi, I came across this picture and thought you might like to see it.

Regards

Stephen

west kirkby.jpg

Nice photo!  Vans for Cadburys?

Thats a very mucky Stanier Mogul,  the EMUs on the stabling sidings will be in the green livery with red buffer beams.

The goods is coming off the Joint, which had lost its passenger services in 1956, the last one being in the hands of an ex-GWR Large Prairie 4122 in September of that year. The Joint would be closed for goods in 1962, with the track lifted by 1964.

Given the apparent OHLE flashes on the loco, that would suggest a date between 1959 and 1962.

Yet another photo of WK taken from the bridge on err Bridge Road! :jester:

Edited by Hroth
Updated date data...
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 23/11/2020 at 21:43, Indomitable026 said:

I was genuinely interested to know if DMUs were permitted to be used to shunt tank wagons.

I honestly don't know the answer to that question, Indominitable026 (or is it Damien?).  I've based my justification on the fact that I have personally shunted a couple of wagons around when driving DMUs - though only on a preserved railway.  As they were able to haul parcels stock on BR, I think it's reasonable to assume they were used for shunting on BR on occasions.

Whether they shunted fuel tankers, though, I don't know - I've never seen any evidence of it.  I vaguely remember seeing pictures of a milk tanker being hauled, but fuel, no.

Our fuel on the preserved railway was delivered by road!!

Rod

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Memo to self:

ALWAYS check the lid of your toolbox is fastened before lifting it up!!!

IMG_20201205_202412.jpg.d4247a4dda7662ff849997d8cc362a57.jpg

Some extremely robust industrial language was heard - not only in the shed, but by my next door neighbours, I shouldn't wonder!!!

I've been doing "bitty" things recently - painting fence posts, dustbins and oil drums with dispensers.  None of which warrant photos just yet.

I bought the oil drums and dispensers and the dustbins at Guildex last year and they've been lying on my workbench waiting to be done.  So, after painting a lot of fence posts, they got done as I had all my painting stuff out.

Photos soon, after they've all been weathered and placed on the layout.

Rod

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

46 minutes ago, Dmudriver said:

Memo to self:

IMG_20201205_202412.jpg.d4247a4dda7662ff849997d8cc362a57.jpg

Some extremely robust industrial language was heard - not only in the shed, but by my next door neighbours, I shouldn't wonder!!!

I've been doing "bitty" things recently - painting fence posts, dustbins and oil drums with dispensers.  None of which warrant photos just yet.

I bought the oil drums and dispensers and the dustbins at Guildex last year and they've been lying on my workbench waiting to be done.  So, after painting a lot of fence posts, they got done as I had all my painting stuff out.

Photos soon, after they've all been weathered and placed on the layout.

Rod

Been there, got the T shirt! I was in the signalbox at Chester at the time too!!

JF

• Like 1

On 05/12/2020 at 20:57, Dmudriver said:

Memo to self:

Somebody in our Village has just brought round a couple ViTrains Class 47's for me to look at - I don't know why either.
But he picked up the package they arrived in, a clamping hand hold from above shall we say, and the bottom fell out of the package and the two loco's crashed to the floor.

The bogies are loose? :blink:  Can I sort them.........  The quick answers NOOoooo, but ! ! ! !

• Funny 1

22 hours ago, Penlan said:

Somebody in our Village has just brought round a couple ViTrains Class 47's for me to look at - I don't know why either.
But he picked up the package they arrived in, a clamping hand hold from above shall we say, and the bottom fell out of the package and the two loco's crashed to the floor.

The bogies are loose? :blink:  Can I sort them.........  The quick answers NOOoooo, but ! ! ! !

When I worked at a Local Model Shop in Staffordshire, a customer bought a Ltd Ed Bachmann 47, took it home to test it, and came back in the afternoon and said can I repair it.

I looked at it and said NOOOOOOOOooooooo.

The Bogies at one end was smashed, the Buffers on all 4 corners smashed, the Glazing was smashed, and the chassis frame holding the Motor was smashed.

I asked what happened, and he said he was running it in on his Loft Layout, it came off the tracks, hit about 3 or 4 steps on the Loft Ladder on its way down to a wood laminate floor. But he did have all the bits.

I suggested he send it to Bachmann to see it they could do anything but fully explaining what had happened. About 2 weeks later he received an brand new one from Bachmann with their compliments and saying DON'T DO IT AGAIN.

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

On 10/12/2020 at 20:01, Penlan said:

"You're into trains. Can you just ........". That's how it usually goes, doesn't it??!!

• Agree 3

12 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

"You're into trains. Can you just ........". That's how it usually goes, doesn't it??!!

"YES" ......... :blink: :jester:
The previous query (from somebody else) was,
"Can't get this loco (DCC ready) work to work, oh and there's a wire come off somewhere".
I know NOTHING about DCC, but eventually (via some RMWeb advice) tracked it down to a faulty blanking plate, and the loose wire was to one of those spiral wound resistors or whatever they are in that area, a tiny soldering exercise.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 5

Hi all.

Just an update on what very little I've been doing.  In 2 word: very little!!!

However, you may remember that a month or so ago I bought a 00 LNWR Coal Tank by Bachmann.  Well it duly arrived and I opened it up and my reaction was "what a lovely little model".

But therein lay the crunch: the word "little".  It looked good, but after the mass of 0 gauge, I was left distinctly underwhelmed!!  So it was packed up again and returned for a refund - which is now being cleared by the bank.  So much for my foray back into 00!!  I'm even thinking that, in the new year, I'll sell what other 00 stock I've got - like a Class 31, an 08, a 108 DMU and a 158 in Provincial livery.  I've also got a 50 - 50021 "Rodney", just like his big brother - but I'll hang on to that.

The money will go towards a Dapol 121, I think - and I'll get one of their trailers when it comes out!! Though when that will be, I don't know.  In other words, I'm getting back to normal!!   I've not done much work on the layout but I do enjoy going into the shed and just having a shunt around of the stock.

I've also seen in January's "BRM" that Heljan are bringing out a Class 104 in 00.  I'm just hoping they'll eventually do one in 0, too.  Having driven one at Llangollen, I do fancy a model of one - and particularly one with the "Blackpool" stripe.

More soon.

Rod

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

I bought a 00 LNWR Coal Tank by Bachmann.  Well it duly arrived and I opened it up and my reaction was "what a lovely little model".

Hi Rod,

Strangely enough I also bought the model and the 0-8-0 both of which reside in a cupboard and doubtful about their future, the 7mm bug got me a couple of years ago and everything in 4mm looks far too small to contemplate now !

G

• Like 2

Looks like we are going to have to wait until March for the 122 and 121 to appear according to a note I received from that well known Widnes retailer.

I think we may see the Heljan 17 first

Paul R

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Carry on in "0" good sir.

When you go into your shed for a shunt - about flick your video cam on so we can enjoy your shunt time too, I'm missing your informative videos.

Stay safe Rod and have a great Christmas.

Regards

• Like 1