MSE's built-up 4mm and 7mm signals

I see in RM where Model Signal Engineering is offering built-up, operating signals in 4mm and 7mm. The tubular post UQ LMS types would fit well into Ettinsmoor's theme (leaving the old LNWR-style wooden post distant signal as a remnant of the not-too-distant past). Yes, they do have a track circuit indication diamond, but a few seconds work with a hot soldering iron and some touching up wth paint would correct that.

At 30 pounds for the 4mm types (about $47 US) they're pricey, but they look exquisite and are ready to connect to an operating system. I know the expectation is to build these one's self from the kits and save the money. If I was simply looking to place static signals on the layout without all the fussy work, that would be one thing. But I feel a bit like I'd be looking a gift horse in the mouth. The satisfaction for me is designing and building the signal interlocking and operating system (logic gates and servos, BTW), not necessarily the signals themselves.

What are your thoughts?

That price doesn't sound too bad compared to the Dapol price (22.00 GBP at Hattons) for a similar signal (albeit, these include actuation mechanism). At least the MSE signals would be known to be accurate. Dapols look good but we'll have to wait and see how accurate they are.

John

• RMweb Gold

If I can drum up the cash this would be good for me. I would be after 4 for my layout, and at the moment there's no way I'd have the skills to put one together convincingly. It'll also be interesting to see I could bash the Dapols though.

Hi,

Puting diamonds on is best done before painting as the use of a soldering iron afterwards can damage the paint in the surrounding area. If you want to retro-fit then superglue might be better. As for the accuracy of Dapol signals, I'll leave that for others to judge.

As for other types of signals, as Bill Bedford I think used to say "let Google be your friend"

Hi,

Puting diamonds on is best done before painting as the use of a soldering iron afterwards can damage the paint in the surrounding area. If you want to retro-fit then superglue might be better. As for the accuracy of Dapol signals, I'll leave that for others to judge.

As for other types of signals, as Bill Bedford I think used to say "let Google be your friend"

I probably didn't make myself clear, Stephen. The track circuit diamonds are already installed on the built-up signals, so I'd need to remove them. Unless I miss my guess, I don't suppose many short branchlines in Cumbria had track circuits in the mid-1950s!

• RMweb Premium

These signals are hand assembled from MSE etched parts (plus brass tube for the post).

They are scale models and they look very nice indeed.

The initial batch arrived in time for Doncaster show and has now very nearly sold out. They are being produced in small batches and the first one is a 30' tall LMS type upper quadrant. They are all identical (ie they all have the black stripe round the post and the white diamond) so at this stage it is not possible to purchase one without a diamond.

MSE are very much dipping their (his!) toe into the water with these to see what sort of response he gets but if they sell well, he has plans to market small batches of various different signal types from different railway companies.

Here is a photo so you can see what they look like!

post-1457-0-06989600-1333916493_thumb.jpg

Edited by t-b-g

I heard good things earlier today about them from another RMWeb member, someone who knows a thing or two about signaling and making signals! The above photo shows off the craftsmanship as well.

Edited by signalmaintainer

These signals are hand assembled from MSE etched parts (plus brass tube for the post).

They are scale models and they look very nice indeed.

The initial batch arrived in time for Doncaster show and has now very nearly sold out. They are being produced in small batches and the first one is a 30' tall LMS type upper quadrant. They are all identical (ie they all have the black stripe round the post and the white diamond) so at this stage it is not possible to purchase one without a diamond.

MSE are very much dipping their (his!) toe into the water with these to see what sort of response he gets but if they sell well, he has plans to market small batches of various different signal types from different railway companies.

Here is a photo so you can see what they look like!

post-1457-0-06989600-1333916493_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I appreciate the fact that they all have the diamond but of course it is possible to obtain a signal or signals from other sources built to order and your specification . For sources try UK Modelshops, Supplier Text (from clag) or even Google.

Hi,

I appreciate the fact that they all have the diamond but of course it is possible to obtain a signal or signals from other sources built to order and your specification . For sources try UK Modelshops, Supplier Text (from clag) or even Google.

And I appreciate the fact that is possible to obtain a signal or signals from other sources built to order and one's specifications. But the entire point of this topic, not to belabor the obvious, is MSE's new pre-built signals.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

If you can get a signal of that sort of quality made to order at something like that price, I and many others would be most interested!

I actually make signals for other people and I know how long it takes to build and paint something like that. They are a bargain at the MSE price!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

If you can get a signal of that sort of quality made to order at something like that price, I and many others would be most interested!

I actually make signals for other people

I think that's the point being missed here - so does Mr Freeman!

I actually make signals for other people and I know how long it takes to build and paint something like that. They are a bargain at the MSE price!

post-6948-0-51909200-1334236510.jpg. You asked.

• 7 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

They sold out a good while ago. When I spoke with Mr MSE a year or two back, he told me that he would not be doing further runs because of the problems/damage encountered with shipping the completed semaphores which were made abroad (in India if memory serves). A great shame because I would have loved to see the completed signal range expanded. However having had several custom builds of essentially MSE kits made by Stephen Freeman, I am happy to endorse and recommend both his workmanship and helpful attitude.   

Edited by young37215
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Not quite sold out yet. Andrew (MSE/Wizard) Hartshorne still has a few left. He will be at Doncaster show this weekend (one of his last few shows before he goes mail order only in May) and will probably have some on the stand. Not all types are still available but there are a few different versions still to be had.

There are still some more in the "awaiting attention" pile of ones that took some damage in shipping and need mending before they go on sale.

• Thanks 1