Why do we run old trains

damndublo

What is it that makes so called sane people run old toy railways. When a friend asked me what his old Hornby Dublo train set was worth, I gave him a rough idea and what to do to make the best price, but he couldn't be bothered. So I did deal with him as I've stated elsewhere on the forum. After setting up a temporary layout, I became hooked. All my modern stuff has now gone and I run only Dublo and Trix TTR. The question is, why? I had Triang as a kid and I have no pangs to replace what I use to have. So I'm not chasing my childhood. Modern stuff has all the bells and whistles and looks great, but I've given them up in preference. So what is the appeal of scratched and chipped tin-plate toys over scaled and finely detailed new plastic ones. I can understand the appeal as a collector, with trying to find rarities, pristine condition models or trying to get everything from a particular range of toys. But as HWMBO says, it's a load of dirty, rusted and chipped old toys you've just bought.. She just doesn't get it and nor does it seem, the majority of model railway enthusiasts. So what makes us different? :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Not different DD, just at another point at the extremity of the bathtub curve which defines the population chasing this broad hobby of ours.

A bathtub distribution that, I have decided ('Chard with Prof's hat on), is actually a three-dimensional 'German Helmet' distribution, to give sufficient freedom for all of our nuances, niches and - frankly - extreme tendencies. Somewhere occupying the crown reside the majority of modellers, operating in the common RTR scales (including collectors who never run anything), then as you spill down the sides you encounter finescale, diesel sound TMD obsessives, and those of us for whom the 'Its My Layout' defences won't wash.

I'd put running tinplate and TT somewhere amongst these subgroups, but far from the most arcane reaches of the hobby around the brim (which frankly frighten me somewhat).

Because they work?!

You are also saved all the worries about : Did loco abcd carry so and so a livery in year 1xyz? The Dublo/Trix/Tri-ang version did, so it must be 'right'!

Restoring old items is also fun!

But then I just love collecting trains (SWMBO considers them a waste of time, money and space - especially wagons which are my particular passion).

So many trains - so little time!

• RMweb Premium

For me: nostalgia pure and simple. A hankering after the days where Hornby represented solidity, a simpler way of life rather than todays frantic must haves. That said , I've just filled in the 2012 wish list poll so I'm still chasing the must haves!

I think old dublo has an endearing quality to it. And for that matter old Triang

I often hanker after a Hornby Dublo layout, I think its partly the idea of just running trains purely for the sake running trains that appeals, and partly leaving things like scale fidelity behind.

And somehow the rattle of tinplate on sectional track sounds 'right' to me.

I suppose it depends how much of your hobby is about the visual versus the desire to model a certain type or era based on memory. I take great delight in looking at a model that stirs a memory of the real thing. A deep and hidden memory that surfaces as a result of seeing a model of it that brings that memory to the surface. Quite subliminal really.

i like the practical aspects of it as well seeing this memory going round my fictional layout as it never did in my memory. That is the modeller in me. I suppose that in your case the modeller wins and trying to create a form of reality is lost to you.

It doesn't matter really and your SWMBO or significant others wouldn't understand in either case. Your dad will though if he is still around.

I once saw a large Dublo tinplate 3-rail layout at an exhibition, and was captivated by it. This was despite the fact that there were some really quality accurate layouts there as well.

For some reason, it did not matter that a Deltic with Gresley coaches was operating in opposite directions to a Castle with GWR stock, at the same time as a Std 2-6-4T was on an assortment of freight wagons on the goods lines. I could have watched it for hours.

Yes, some of my enthusiasm was nostalgia, but also a sense of watching a fantasy world where my brain had already accepted what could appear would not be anything like historically accurate, and the constructors did not have anything like that in mind.

I think there was a third child-like sense at play there also, where the entire layout symbolised the ultimate boyhood trainset that I dare not even dream about owning at the time, and yet there it was in front of me 50 years later.

Oh yes,definitly nostagia,it also comes at a goodly price as well these days,the days when i could pick up a mint HD Barnstaple for £20 at Market Harborough toy fairs are long gone.I also run a large N gauge layout but the charm of Hornby Dublo still calls at times,I have to take out one of the models from the chest & just look at it,be it coach,loco or something.

I would think on some level it is rooted to our childhood. I have no desire for it as it is before my time.

The Psycho Babblers would probably agree with you. But then again, what I run is before my time also. I expect the men in white coats will bring me a long armed coat that fastens at the back one day. :crazy:

• 1 month later...

I have always like something 'different' and arrived at 'vintage' three-rail track via an interest in 'wireless trams'. Consequently I have learnt a lot about Hornby Dublo and Trix Twin. I have even acquired some of both track and converted some old bogies to run on three rail.

Technically three rail is more prototypically technically correct that two rail is in the real world locos using external energy sources use a third rail in the form of a rail, wire, stud or most recently induction coils. Even DCC cannot loop back like pure third rail! What really got me interested though is the ability to have a system of track based automation where one loco can act as the switch for another. I firstg saw it on a tram model where overhead wiring was used and realised it will work with soem third rail systems. Trix Twin track will but Hornby cannot. Of course one canmake ones own using Peco kit or just fiiting a third rail between the tracks.

• 2 years later...

I have just started, it is nostalgia in my case, Hornby 0 gauge, used to have it as a lad.

I didn't stand a chance! Father Christmas brought me Hornby 0 gauge, Meccano and Hornby Dublo - all before my fifth birthday!

That and our house backed onto the GWR/MR Avonmouth branch in Bristol.

Good to see this thread opened up again.  There are a couple more but this aspect of the hobby deserves more space.  After sampling other gauges from N to LGB, I settled on O tinplate as it was the easiest to set up and operate.  No reverse loops or fiddly bits to worry about and the engines didn't need a push to start.  I have had the same layout running US and Hornby trains for over twelve years and thanks to many design doodles, has kept its operating interest over time.

Brian.

I reckon there are quite a few people that have been up & down the scales trying to find the 'right' one.

I know gauge 0 & gauge 1 have always kept my attention even though I really don't have much room, there is just something about the size & weight that gives them that/their presence.

I would sooner have a large scale small layout, than a large small scale one.

P.S. I just recently heard a new (to me) term called FreeLay, for people that use sectional trackwork for their layouts.

We usually refer to "loose lay" for our HD layouts at Ally Pally and the NEC. I;ve never heard the term Freelay before, having been doing loose lay layouts regularly for the last 20 years both at big exhibitions as part of a large team or at our local HRCA group meetings.

Tery

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Why do we run old trains?

Because we like to.

Because we can.

Because they run so well, are sturdy and easily maintained.

Because they bring back memories of childhood layouts and dreams.

Because there are no rivet counters allowed.

Personally I enjoy the Hornby Dublo 3 rail and the sound the metal rolling stock makes over the metal track. The rattle and natural clickety clack is to me, more realistic than any of the modern sound systems. The entire train makes a great noise and not just the loco.

Here is a video taken this evening on my own 3 rail layout.

Enjoy:

Archived