Park Road Loft Layout

fishytrains

• RMweb Gold

A little more progress today, not enough for any photos. I have ordered the auto switch to go with the NCE powercab I use, to stop having to switch the leads from one to the other! :O I have also ordered some plastikard to start developing the first of the viaducts I need to build. Completed some more soldering of the track bus to the track and painted some cocktail sticks which will be used as levers in a signal box, to see if it creates a suitable look.

Hopefully more progress soon. :secret:

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Further progress today. The auto switch arrived this morning. I installed it and had trains running. Then discovered the class 37 was causing problems, some kind of short circuit, which I will need to investigate. It also became obvious that I need to clean the track! Must find the time to do so soon. Installed the levers to the signal box. Having used cocktail sticks they seem to be effective, especially as they will eventually be in a sealed box, probably with a light inside, still to decide on that. Then I began the very fiddly task of threading cotton through mesh to create chainlink fencing. Still a way to go with this. Hope to take some photos tomorrow.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

As promised a photo update. This shows the Scalescenes signal box. Not complete, as I need to add lighting, a signal man and the name board, hence the fact that the roof is not attached.post-15199-0-42040600-1375959083_thumb.jpg

I think the levers look effective in this.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Further progress today. The area between the high level mainline and Walnut Grove has been "grassed", this needs to be improved with some static grass and trees.

post-15199-0-64116700-1376067511_thumb.jpg

I have also completed two sections of chain link fencing, I am pleased with how this has turned out. The fencing has been weathered as well.

post-15199-0-34581100-1376067639_thumb.jpg

post-15199-0-30380600-1376067666_thumb.jpg

I have also started work on the return loop. The first part frame is in place. The remainder of the loop is behind the roof trusses, which will be interesting, but does seem to fit.

post-15199-0-08028900-1376067854_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For sometime I have been unhappy with the first part of the layout, in terms of the quality of the track laid and the wiring. Today I was looking at some of the point work outside Lilac Grove station. I feel it is over complicated, especially as several of the points are rarely used. I will at some point in the future be taking up the track and simplifying the approach roads. I will also be taking up and relaying the track in the goods yard. Also the track under the tunnel will be changed. At the moment I am thinking of fitting in a helix to take trains down to a smaller fiddle yard, which will improve operation potential. Something I have been considering since reading a number of posts on several other threads on here. At this stage this is a plan only, I wish to finish laying and wiring the other side of the layout first. With me working abroad for 9 months of the year, this is likely to happen next summer at the earliest.

In terms of the progress I have been making, the return loop baseboards from the fiddle yard are coming along, with luck I will be able to lay the track soon. I have added some more rolling stock to the layout and am running in some of the newer locos now that they are DCC fitted. This is after running them in on DC first. I have completed the three sections of chainlink fencing and I am rather pleased with the effect. Next job is add the undergrowth and other foliage to this area.

I took advantage of the RMWeb email offer for some items from Humbrol, which I am eagerly awaiting, so that I can do some more weathering. I have three old coaches on which to work!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finally got the second return loop track down, need to get it fixed, probably going to go for gluing the track straight to the baseboards as track pins will not be an option due to height restrictions! It took me a lot of sweat and frustration to get the track right and avoid the obstructions in the loft!  :threaten: When it is glued down i will add some pictures. Just need to finish the fiddle yard now - but only a few days before I go back to work.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

As promised some photos of the fiddle yard and return loop. Track is laid, but now needs to have the wiring done. That will be a job for when I am next home, possibly. This first one shows the end of the fiddle yard, with the start of the return loop. The Cross Country train is used to check clearances.

post-15199-0-25501800-1378208438_thumb.jpg

The second photo shows the return loop section running beyond the main baseboards. This track has been glued in place.

post-15199-0-15855500-1378208576_thumb.jpg

The third picture shows the full length of the fiddle yard. There is the possibility to expand to the right and add a couple more lines.

post-15199-0-13783500-1378208649_thumb.jpg

The final picture shows the full length of the fiddle yard, with the return loop on the right reemerging from the roof space. This clearly shows the space for two extra storage tracks, if I need them.

post-15199-0-38566900-1378208846_thumb.jpg

As I said just the wiring to sort out for the fiddle yard and return loop! Then point motors to install and also block detection, as this board will eventually be covered over with Park Road station!

Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you. The other side will eventually have a smaller fiddle yard underneath it, if I can figure out how to gain access to and from it. Once things became operational it slowly became more obvious of the need for a fiddle yard at both ends, especially as the line drops to single track here!

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finally made a start on the first viaduct. This will be a single track one to go at the opposite end of the layout, where the mainline switches from the front to the back of the loft. There will actually be two viaducts at this point, one for up main and one for the down main.

I have taken a photo of the first span, but can't upload it at the moment. I have made it out of card. I do intend making them out of plastic card, but thought I would get the basics sorted first. I am tempted to laminate the card structure with the plastic card, but am unsure if this is a good idea or not. Any thoughts or suggestions? This is my first foray into modelling with plastic, or it will be when I actually do so!

Mike

Hello

Personally I like to use thick mounting board card as a template and then stick the desired finish e,g plastic card on top I also double the thickness of the card to give it that extra strength if I was modelling bigger than n gauge I'd probably use thin ply as the former/template and stick the plastic card to that . Will it be brick/ stone embossed sheets or you fancying scribing the finish on .

Looks like you've got a nice layout there with some nice modelling not had a look at your thread before so am going to go and start at page 1 and have a good read through .

Can't wait to see how your viaducts turn out I'll be following with interest

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Brian

Thank you for your advice. Having worked with card before it seemed the easier material to use. I was thinking of sticking the plastic card to the card, then adding a layer of embossed card on top of that.

Still no luck with uploading a photo though, will have to wait until the problems are sorted me thinks!

Mike

I like card because iits easy to cut unlike ply a sharp craft knife and a steady hand can work wonders ,although I've just been looking at a cutting compass which if your doing a few arches mabe worth a look

I'd use impact adhesive I use evostick to stick card to plastic card I'd use it to stick the plastic card to the embossed aswell and use a little plastic magic or similar round the edges to give them a good bond .

Hope this helps I'm only a learner but this method seems to work for me

Brian

P.s I know what your going through with uploading my computer died and I'm pinching my brothers camera and laptop at moment stuff always breaks when ya need it most

Edited by bri.s
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Steve,

Thanks for your kind words. I do have a track plan, but it is mostly in my head. It is also at home in the UK, so when I am next home I will upload the track plan I have so far. It is evolving though.

Brian,

I like your advice about the gluing and will try it out when I am back home. For now I can build a number of card base units, hopefully the full number I need. The joyful part is that there is a variation in height for them! This does mean that having the card structures any problems can be sorted before I am the plastic card and finish them off. Well that is my thinking anyway. I will have a look at the cutting compass for the plastic, otherwise it will be cut out small sections of the curve and then sand it down for a smooth surface.

Still can't add the photo though, so back to building more units!

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Neither can I, but I have to wait until December as I am out of the country working until then! Five now completed, almost finished the sixth one. That should cover the first section. Only three more sections to do then! They are all shorter runs though!

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Two photos of the progress I have made. The first one shows the six spans for the one section of mainline at one end of the layout. The spans do vary in height as the baseboards are at different heights . The right hand end will be over a river or canal, I haven't decided which yet. The left hand end will be over fields. The second photo shows the underside of one span. The gap in the middle is for the wiring and will be covered over once the wiring is in place.

Mike

Not sure how they ended upside down in the post!

post-15199-0-91529800-1382185027_thumb.jpg

post-15199-0-51593500-1382185052_thumb.jpg

Edited by fishytrains
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...