Park Road Loft Layout

fishytrains

• RMweb Gold

Not much progress since the last update. I am now away for 3 months with work, so no progress on the layout at all, although I hope to make some progress with the backscenes! I am still working on the one viaduct, but still need to fix the tortoise point motor and complete the lower level wiring before I can complete this upper level of the mainline. Consequently I feel I have hit a bit of a brick wall, but then being away for most of the year does make progress slow and sporadic, as I also have to spend time with the family!

Maybe there will be some progress at Christmas -  if I am lucky!

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Decision made! I am going to be moving to BR Blue era. The section of the layout modelled already will need some reworking, initially of the track, particularly around Lilac Grove station.The initial change is to put in points on the mainline section as I intend having OHLE for this end of the layout so I can run electric engines, like the Class 85 that Bachmann do.They will run from the station into the return loop. which is hidden as a tunnel, but which I will  hopefully change to a fiddle yard arrangement, so that three or four trains can be stored at anyone time.  Diesels will then take over the train to run on to Park Road station or the return loop at the other end of the layout. If Park Road station ever gets built! :O

The finer details will be worked out when I am next home at Christmas so that I can see how much space is actually available! Part of the reason for this reworking is that this was the initial wiring I did and trains do not run smoothly here, so I was going to have to improve the wiring and track here anyway. Part of the goods yard area will act as storage for locos waiting their next turn - a mini MPD, with the goods shed still in place and use. At some point I will be respraying the diesels I currently have into corporate blue. The steam stock I will keep and sometimes I will run steam only, sometimes I will run steam specials.

All of this is longer term, as I spend nine months of the year dreaming about what I am going to do, and three months finding excuses not to do anything, especially as it involves wiring and soldering, but until I get that right, the rest of the work is pointless.

Ahh well, guess I had better make some time to draw some back scenes!

Mike

• Like 2

Decision made! I am going to be moving to BR Blue era. The section of the layout modelled already will need some reworking, initially of the track, particularly around Lilac Grove station.The initial change is to put in points on the mainline section as I intend having OHLE for this end of the layout so I can run electric engines, like the Class 85 that Bachmann do.They will run from the station into the return loop. which is hidden as a tunnel, but which I will  hopefully change to a fiddle yard arrangement, so that three or four trains can be stored at anyone time.  Diesels will then take over the train to run on to Park Road station or the return loop at the other end of the layout. If Park Road station ever gets built! :O

The finer details will be worked out when I am next home at Christmas so that I can see how much space is actually available! Part of the reason for this reworking is that this was the initial wiring I did and trains do not run smoothly here, so I was going to have to improve the wiring and track here anyway. Part of the goods yard area will act as storage for locos waiting their next turn - a mini MPD, with the goods shed still in place and use. At some point I will be respraying the diesels I currently have into corporate blue. The steam stock I will keep and sometimes I will run steam only, sometimes I will run steam specials.

All of this is longer term, as I spend nine months of the year dreaming about what I am going to do, and three months finding excuses not to do anything, especially as it involves wiring and soldering, but until I get that right, the rest of the work is pointless.

Ahh well, guess I had better make some time to draw some back scenes!

Mike

Sounds good Mike,ile be seling few of my bachy large logo 37 shortly :senile: if you want any BR blue :locomotive:  :declare:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Two weeks spent in the UK over Christmas - progress on the layout -nil! :O I did manage to run the Class 128 DMU which was a very enjoyable experience. I also discovered that my Class 37 which shorts out on DCC is fine on DC. So the problem is the decoder. May well try the Bachmann 21 pin variety in the summer. The extra fiddle yard might fit in, however, the track will need to go downwards in order to have sufficient space for the curve. The curve is so that the track returns under the baseboard, enabling the extra fiddle yard to go under Lilac Grove station, leaving enough clearance for point motors. That said I might not have the track where the point motors would be needed - more planning to be sorted out. The track will then go back on itself again and climb up to the original baseboard in the tunnel and come out to return to Lilac Grove station. I know what i intend, but explaining it seems difficult. If I get the chance I might draw it out and post a picture!

Main job this coming summer is to wire the other side of the layout and make sure I can get that running as I would like and as I see in the videos other post on RMWeb and also Youtube. At the moment all other plans are dependent on having large amounts of cash available! Ah well back to dreaming!

Happy New Year to all who read this.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

A crude sketch of the proposed extra fiddle yard to go under the main Lilac Grove station board.

417ed094d796f5870ca0dab654aa25fa.jpg

Due to the restricted width and slope of the loft where the line descends from the main board to the lower fiddle yard board the drop will need to be unprototypically steep! As it is off scene and will only be a descent, I think this should be fine. The track my come in more than currently shown and climb a little before the loop back to the fiddle yard proper. A second climb can then be made back to the original baseboard level for the train to emerge from the tunnel. This is not drawn to scale, but is designed to give me an idea of what I am aiming for when I eventually get round to doing this. At which point I will find out if it will definitely work!

Any thoughts are gratefully received as I say it is likely to be a long time before this happens at the moment.

MIke

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Second purchase made and now sat at home waiting for my return in just over 7 weeks. This a Bachmann Class 105. I have a long list of things to try and do when I make it home in mid-June. The main thing to do is sort out the wiring, my least favourite job, but one that does need to be completed if the layout is to run properly. Hopefully, I will also achieve some of the other jobs, providing SWMBO leaves me alone to do so!

Mike

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finally managed to spend some time in the the loft today. Managed to run the new Class 105 DMU and chip and run the Heljan Class 128. Both run nicely, especially slow running. Now busy boxing up the locomotives and rolling stock so that I can get on with wiring and some more scenic work. Pictures will follow at some point in the coming weeks.

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After what seems like a year of work - I did start the viaduct nearly two years ago, in forming the cardboard base. Last summer I began the adding of the plasticard top layer, I am now at the point where I can paint, then bed in and grubby up the viaduct! To be fair it actually amounts to about a months work, taking into account doing nothing on the viaduct for long periods of time when I am away.

File%2001-07-2015%2014%2051%2017.jpeg

As this is the first item I have had a go at scratch building I am pleased with the overall look.I suspect it will look better once painted, and with vegetation attached. 

AS for the layout - little progress, although all of the rolling stock is now boxed and out the way. I just need some time and temperatures that are manageable for working in the loft. This will be the rear of the two viaducts near to Walnut Grove for the mainline. Beneath it will be some form of water - probably a river, but I am still thinking that one over. i can now start work on the front viaduct, and the ones leading to/from the fiddle yard and the double track one leading to the yet to be built Park Road station! :O

Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Further progress has been made on the viaduct. As shown the viaduct has been painted and weathered. Next step will be installation on to the layout.

post-15199-0-14696700-1436441278.jpg

More photos to follow once in place as well as a further progress update.

Mike

Edited by fishytrains

• RMweb Gold

As promised the viaduct is now in position, although not actually fixed. In the first picture you will see a lower level bridge behind the viaduct, with the DCC bus wires visible. This is the branchline, which is lower at this point. I need to find a way of disguising these. My feeling is to turn them into pipes over the the "water way". Originally I had intended having a river or canal coming under the branch bridge, then the viaduct that is in place, and then under the viaduct that will be in front of this.I have now revised this to two rivers, one from the right and a smaller one from under the bridge, as I think this will be more believable.

4f72cecb3ee1de13095c9f39a0ee70e9.jpg

The second photo shows the more common viewing angle. In the foreground front right is the other mainline track - which will cross on a second viaduct. The basic structure is complete, but the brickwork needs to be added. This section will also have the mainline bus wire running through it. 

6ece79f4b117a083cc86d93a18490eea.jpg

The Cross Country carriages are my track clearance checkers, as they don't really fit into the eras I am modelling, although I do like the colour scheme. Obviously the area on the right also needs to have brickwork placed, as will the area below the baseboard.Still a lot to do! :O My feeling is that I will have to put in the scenics at the back as I won't be able to reach it once the front viaduct is in place, it is pretty tight in there. :no2:

I have started placing the mainline track bus, but decided I needed to watch The Ashes instead! :mosking:

Hopefully there will be more progress soon.

Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Latest update. I have joined the front two spans of the viaduct and placed them on the "river bed". 

7dd852e231139804dce4888266bcb7d9.jpg

As can be seen, the first viaduct is pretty much hidden. What this view also shows is that my original idea of the river coming under the lower branchline bridge, then under the two viaducts will not work, as the gap between the supports is very small. I am now thinking of a small stream from this direction merging with the river coming from the two arches on the right. The rear viaduct has the Slater's plastikard 4mm brick work. For this front one I think I will go for the 7mm brickwork instead.It will give a forced perspective. I now need to fit the tortoise point motor that needs to go in this area, before creating a shallow valley for the stream - even if most of it will be hidden by the bridge supports. I will know it is there which matters to me! As a result, the front viaducts will probably not get much further this year, especially as I have some track relaying to do and the wiring up of the track.

a81c31c637851a39074826cf557865df.jpg

this shows the direction for the river to flow across this section of the layout. I am thinking of two possibilities - one river, or two merging along with the stream from the left. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Small update. I now have a Blue & Grey Class 108 DMU, it arrived today. I need to run it in and get decoders for it, that will happen soon. On the layout I have been focusing on the track bus and putting that in place, although the soldering has still to happen. I have also sorted out the river valley boards that will lead to the fiddle yard (lower board) and Park Road station (upper board - or will be when I create it!!! :O )

More of an update soon I hope.

Mike

• Like 1