Blues Street "Lets be MODDING You"

Hi There some off you may be aware that I have started a weathering section on the other page and put the odd mod on there but now I am getting either a bit more confidece or am going slightly mad and am having a go at more intresting projects so thought I had better start a thread in this section too to cover these items the first of which is the New Measurement Train now this project started ages ago got left them binned as the method I used was rubbish probably running before I could walk but now I have seen the light so to speak the first coach I am attacking was the most simplest a bog standard Hornby Mk 3 standard open carrage with 3 windows blanked off (this coach was 1 I'd salvaged) all I have done to it so far is blank the windows and fill with filler (obviously) once that was done Ive primed it. Know the other carrages I will go through a more step by step process if you want. All the carrages are going to be done in the same method although I do have shiny new ways off blanking windows more to follow but once all have been primed then to paint heres some picture off the first coach Network Rail 975814 :mail:

post-12082-0-20756000-1334009387_thumb.jpg

post-12082-0-68119700-1334009435_thumb.jpg

post-12082-0-60434700-1334009481_thumb.jpg

post-12082-0-07417900-1334009528_thumb.jpg

The second NMT coach I am going to do is 977984 for this coach I have purchased a grand central first open coach I tend to use grand central as there is less work removeing all the decals or possibly because Im lazy also in this coach conversion and another I have to do I got a set of blanking panels and new window frames made by Peter Harvey (PHD Design in the supplies section) as this way all the window frames will match he has put few pics off the one he tried in his section in this area. So here go's my step by step account on what I have done if I'm telling people how to suck eggs with some off the things I'm putting up I apologies

First this is the carrage straght from the box

post-12082-0-56013000-1334098082_thumb.jpg

Am image of the etchings from PHD Design

post-12082-0-50679300-1334098149_thumb.jpg

First things first I removed the decals from the side of the carrage useing the good old T-Cut method with a cocktail stick this just gives you a better surface later on when your painting so you won't get any visible lines under the paint from the decals

post-12082-0-25618300-1334098306_thumb.jpg

Thats it for tonight folks more to come

Howdy folks some more progress tonight. First thing I have done was to remove all the standard window frames now I had a go at useing a method other people use in the way of a No9 scarpel I tryed this on a old coach and ended up taking half the body away aswell so I played it safe and used some 800 wet & dry which did the trick nicely.

post-12082-0-17700800-1334445648_thumb.jpg

post-12082-0-35954700-1334445689_thumb.jpg

Then I attached the etches useing some superglue tamiya tape to hold things in place and a little patientice

post-12082-0-62020600-1334445974_thumb.jpg

post-12082-0-14434200-1334446025_thumb.jpg

And a close up of the grills which are really slotted

post-12082-0-60188900-1334446084_thumb.jpg

Tomorrows task is to give the sides a good coating in primer to check if i need to do any filling

Progress today I have gave the coach a quick coat off primer to discover where I went a bit ott with the superglue cleaned that off with a gentle sand with 800 wd and added a scim off filler over some areas just to level it up

Right fianlly got the body how I want it all smooth and looking good 2 down 3 to go plus two power cars this could be a long project

post-12082-0-97386000-1334703616_thumb.jpg

post-12082-0-19601800-1334703673_thumb.jpg

All I have done to these is use some squadron green filler and kept rubbing down with 800 wd till I got a smooth finish threre is still a little fettleing to do but this will be done when there all ready for paint bring on the yellow

Next coach on the list is 977994 for this coach I have chosen to use a trailer guard standard coach as they match what I need apart from blanking the toilet windows out now Hornby still use the Lima model for this and I have one question how the hell do you take one apart

I give in after days of swearing I still can't figure how this ex lima coach comes apart so its on the bottom off the pile ggrrr so instead I will convert another standard coach to NMT 975984 once again I will be useing a set of PH Design etches for this coach as normal I have stripped the loco down of decals and a big thanks to Pete for pointing me in the direction of super strip its brilliant saves me hours off work will put some pics up when its primed up please leave feedback guys its all a great help

Cheers argus got the thing apart will help of another member too god Lima built them coaches well bit to over engineered but hey 2 coaches on the go

Right havent put anything on for a few days mainly all I have done is super strip 2 more coaches so I now have the full set ready to go after closer inspection of the first coach I done in this post Network Rail 975814and compared to the second one I relised just how crap it looked so another etch off pete later and its all sanded with the new etches in place got to primer tomorrow so rain sod off to see were a bit off fillers got to go go's to show that sometimes salvageing already badly modded coaches do's not work on the flip side I now have 3 spare Mk3 coach chassis spare hmm maybe a certain auction site may be busy for a few days anyway I digrese will put some pics of the new 975814 on tomorrow see you soon fellow fan's

Right as promised the new all sing and dancing no shoddy window filling NMT coach 975814 TAA DAA

post-12082-0-19677700-1335999839_thumb.jpg

not looking to bad

Now here is a shot of the Ex Lima now Hornby trailer coach before

post-12082-0-44614700-1335997609_thumb.jpg

and after some surgery

post-12082-0-24527800-1335998504_thumb.jpg

A big thanks to Pete for sorting this out for us. This is now the base for 975994 all it need is some new window frames on it which will be done tomorrow I've learnt of my mistakes and am useing the good old faitfull standard Hornby coach for 993 then adding a pantagraph to it but all in good time anyway apologys for the spelling mistakes and heres one of them moody this is how far I've got shots

post-12082-0-98094200-1335999294_thumb.jpg

see ya later

Right you learn something new every day ex Lima coaches do not appear to like squadron green filler seems to have burnt the surface slightly with much sanding and filling should be all right but going to have to try either filler prime or revell filler and plenty off patience typical

right still minus a working computer so on a borrowed laptop sinse I last put on here have now got 994 all primered up and ready to go for yellow this is probaly going to be the first to be yellowed up and finished as it can't go back together till its all finished. Have also resureceted and older project which is to convert a Bachmann class 20 into a 20/3 with this loco all raised details to both ends have been filled away to leave the blank look the loco now has once its all primered up I will decide which DRS 20 Im going to do and model that loco I will put piccys up later but unfortuneatly its going to be back of my IPhone (sorry Andy)

Howdy folks tonight have started NMT coach 975984 all windows sanded down and new frames blanks etc fitted will prime up tomorrow to find any high spots and add filler photos soon

984 all sorted bar a small amount of sanding started 993 has anyone got any full side on pictures of this coach so I can work out were to cut the roof off my coach can find plenty angled pics but a bit hard to judge cheers folks

These are a great help cheers going to start painting some up with this good weather coming up

With this nice spell if sun have given 994 a quick coat off yellow paint not looking to bad as I have not done any painting for six months anyway probably take a few good coats before it's sorted anyway have now decided to model class 20 DRS 20308 and it's twin 20309 pics later hopefully fingers crossed

Archived