36T Ransome Rapier Crane Kit

That's useful information about the "Ted Holloway designed for G. Ashton C&E Models 1988"  etches and makes a connection which had been elusive so far.

If it helps I can confirm the existence in March 2009 of 3 sets of these (etches only), 2 of which were sold on Ebay (one by second chance offer) and one retained by the sellers source (who he implied had either drawn or etched the sheets but wouldn't elucidate further). If you are aware of the date of Mr Holloway's demise that might inform whether he or his estate was the source.

Enquiries at the time failed to discover the existence of either instructions or a source of castings etc, but now I understand why.

Regards, Ken...

I think that the seller actually sold four. I bought the first one on eBay, the second was then sold to the underbidder, I then bought a third by private treaty, and the seller offered me a further, partly assembled, set which I declined. I believe that this was subsequently sold.

So it would appear that four sets of etches came from Ted Holloway's estate via a complex route.

I imagine that the complete, unmade kit sold at the Vectis Auction was a Rod Neep version, one of Gordon's 20. From what Gordon has said, my understanding is that the four(?) Ted Holloway etch sets are the only such etches currently circulating.

Does anyone know, out of interest, what that particular lot made at the auction?

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just out of interest has anyone built one of the Rod Neep drawn kits? the one in my un-built cupboard has just been dusted down, and I feel tomorrow I might apply soldering iron to brass.

Jon

Why do you have an un-built cupboard? :jester:

I am still working on the Ted Holloway crane kit with the assistance of Justin Newitt.

Additional and some improved replacement parts have been identified and will be included in an etch of additional parts.

I retired last year so am putting some time in on progressing the kit.

I have worked through the Weight Tender and the Match Wagon and am currently working on the crane chassis.

Gordon A

I am still working on the Ted Holloway crane kit with the assistance of Justin Newitt.

Additional and some improved replacement parts have been identified and will be included in an etch of additional parts.

I retired last year so am putting some time in on progressing the kit.

I have worked through the Weight Tender and the Match Wagon and am currently working on the crane chassis.

Gordon A

Excellent news Gordon, thanks for the update!

• 1 year later...

Hello,   after catching up on this thread I thought some people maybe interested in the following photos ....

These are of the GWR 36T Crane , the kit was built by the late Steffan Lewis (RIP) of Maindee East fame.   

I am lucky enough to have two of these built by Steffan, as well as the correct Tools and Mess vans.

Comments etc most welcome, many thanks,   Ian Bradford

IMG_2049.JPG

IMG_2054.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

Archived