36T Ransome Rapier Crane Kit

Some years back I believe around early 2007, there were a number of articles in the modelling press relating to a model for a 36T Ransome Rapier Crane kit. There were actually photos of a completed crane running on a layout featured in BRM around this time.

I believe the model was to be released under the GA Models label and was being developed by a gentleman called Gordon Ashton. Does ayone know if this model actually went into production as I never saw it advertised in any of the modelling press. I would be grateful of any information anyone can share on the subject, I would dearly love to get hold of one of these kits, but fear that as is the way with so many models that are announced announced, it never actually went into production.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Blue Max,

You're spot on so far; the layout in question was almost certainly Maindee East Engine Shed (GWR) and is superb. I spoke to the owner/builder of the layout (Stefan Lewis) and from memory I believe he built the crane from a prototype of the Gordon Ashton kit as a test piece.

The bad news is that as far as I am aware the Kit never went into production; I did email Gordon Ashton several times to express an interest (from memory his last response - probably at least 18 months ago now - was that the kit was in the process of having instructions prepared). A suggested price was also mentioned, which I think was to be around the ??150 to ??175 mark.

Sadly it seems that the project may well have fallen by the wayside, which is a real shame given how much work must've gone into the kit. From talking to Stefan Lewis it is apparent that there would be a real demand for such a kit. Maybe one of the etched kit manufacturers might consider contacting Gordon Ashton with a view to "doing a deal"....

An etched brass kit for a 70ft Turntable "Table" would be nice too......

HTH

Brian

Hi Blue Max,

You're spot on so far; the layout in question was almost certainly Maindee East Engine Shed (GWR) and is superb. I spoke to the owner/builder of the layout (Stefan Lewis) and from memory I believe he built the crane from a prototype of the Gordon Ashton kit as a test piece.

The bad news is that as far as I am aware the Kit never went into production; I did email Gordon Ashton several times to express an interest (from memory his last response - probably at least 18 months ago now - was that the kit was in the process of having instructions prepared). A suggested price was also mentioned, which I think was to be around the ??150 to ??175 mark.

Sadly it seems that the project may well have fallen by the wayside, which is a real shame given how much work must've gone into the kit. From talking to Stefan Lewis it is apparent that there would be a real demand for such a kit. Maybe one of the etched kit manufacturers might consider contacting Gordon Ashton with a view to "doing a deal"....

An etched brass kit for a 70ft Turntable "Table" would be nice too......

HTH

Brian

Brian,

Thanks for your posting, I had a mail from Gordon confirming that although the kit has not gone into production as yet, he is in fact still working on the instructions, all 60 pages of them?

It is to be hoped therefore that the kit will eventually be released to an eager bunch of modellers.

I agree that it would be nice to see a good etched kit for one of the larger (well type) turntables, we can live in hope.

Steve T.

I agree that it would be nice to see a good etched kit for one of the larger (well type) turntables, we can live in hope.

Metalsmith have announced that they will release some of their etched turntable kits in 4mm scale. However, as the date of introduction mentioned was March 2009, it might be worth contacting them to see what the current situation is.

Cheers,

James

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Brian,

Thanks for your posting, I had a mail from Gordon confirming that although the kit has not gone into production as yet, he is in fact still working on the instructions, all 60 pages of them?

It is to be hoped therefore that the kit will eventually be released to an eager bunch of modellers.

Steve T.

Hi Steve,

There's an unmade example of this very kit (don't ask me how...) on Ebay at the moment:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4mm-railway-steam-accident-crane_W0QQitemZ320486287225QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Trains_Railway_Models?hash=item4a9e78a779

I was watching it with interest (fancied a bid myself) but at 415 quid with two and a half hours to go I lost interest :(

Brian

Hi Steve,

There's an unmade example of this very kit (don't ask me how...) on Ebay at the moment:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4mm-railway-steam-accident-crane_W0QQitemZ320486287225QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Trains_Railway_Models?hash=item4a9e78a779

I was watching it with interest (fancied a bid myself) but at 415 quid with two and a half hours to go I lost interest :(

Brian

Nice if I had one or two of these my self I could have for sale :icon_rolleyes: . It went for the 415

415 GBP. icon_wow.gif

I think Gordon may want to get a wiggle on and get this baby into full production!

I would definately purchase one and like many others have been patiently waiting, teased by Steffan Lewis's beautiful example on Maindee East.

Andy.

• 2 years later...

Just to let you know Gordon Ashley has died a few years ago and the drawings for this kit have got into the my hands today, as they never handed over when I took Cooper Craft over. There are no instructions at all for the kit and no bogies for the match truck.

Somerset,

Which kit are you talking about?

Gordon A

Bristol

Somerset,

Which kit are you talking about?

Gordon A

Bristol

As the originator of this thread, thought I would jump back in here.

Gordon,

As you are clearly still with us :declare: (I had noted some of your web postings in recent months anyway), I was surprised to see the feedback above, not sure who Gordon Ashley is???

Wishing you the best of health.

SteveT

Nice if I had one or two of these my self I could have for sale icon_rolleyes.gif . It went for the 415

Maybe time to sell my unbuilt kit. I doubt if it would make that now.

In reality, I have been contemplating selling it as the cab section does not match the photos I have of GWR no 2 and I ended up scratch building the entire cab section using the kit as templates. I picked up an assembled jib and running frames from a Rod Neep parts box at a show shome time back, and I decided to continue with the scratch/kit bash and leave the original kit untouched. A good firend had been nagging me to sell it to him but he has just ordered the new assembled 36T available from Steffan (Jitterbug 1723)

Mike Wiltshire

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a set of Rod neep test etches that the cab does not conform to the preserved cranes. I am now well along with my 36T utilising scratch built cab unit based on the two volume cranes books and my own photos of in service and preserved GWR cranes. I will use my spare Rod Neep etches for the jib, crane chassis and runner, leaving my unbuilt kit redundant, which may well end up on eBay.

Mike Wiltshire

• 2 weeks later...

Any unmade kits out there are the original Rod Neep designs, which have been redesigned to eliminate the faults. The instructions are currently being reviewed, and plans are in hand to move the kit along.

RichardL

Hope that this project moves forward to production, clearly there will be a lot of interest in rail cranes with the new Tatlow books now published.

Its always good to have a different type of train to run on the layout.

SteveT

• 4 months later...

I have a set of Rod neep test etches that the cab does not conform to the preserved cranes. I am now well along with my 36T utilising scratch built cab unit based on the two volume cranes books and my own photos of in service and preserved GWR cranes. I will use my spare Rod Neep etches for the jib, crane chassis and runner, leaving my unbuilt kit redundant, which may well end up on eBay.

Mike Wiltshire

You are aware, I am sure, that the cabs on the GWR 36-tonners were different those on any of the other 36-ton or 45-ton R&R cranes (your comment about comparing the etches to your own photos of preserved GWR cranes (plural) puzzles me - since there is only one such crane in existence*)?  The cabs on Nos 2 and 3 were also not always identical, depending on your era of interest, since originally No 2 sported a side window on the driver's side. Both cabs were also modified when the water tank was extended and the banjo feed pump deleted from the crane.

I have a couple of sets of the original etches but have to admit that I haven't compared them to the protoype in any detail. Certainly one serious error with the etch is the provision of two porthole windows in the rear cab sheet, a feature found on the LSWR 36-tonner but not the GW cranes, which only had the window on the driver's side.

Both of the GWR pair sported either pattern boiler interchangably post WW1, with the last confirmed sighting of a Turner boiler being in No 3 circa 1967. Visually the only reliable way to distinguish between the two was the location of the maker's plates, since both sides of both cranes differed in this respect.

If anyone is interested I would consider selling one or more sets of the etches, since the 12"/foot version of the crane is consuming virtually all my time and realistically I am unlikely to do anything with them. Please feel free to PM me if interested.

[* Strictly of course there is really only one GWR breakdown crane still in existence, since the three 45-tonners were bought by the Government, not the GWR.]

Roger Cooke

The Breakdown Crane Association - www.bdca.org.uk

Incidentally, I notice that the etches I have are marked "Ted Holloway designed for G. Ashton C&E Models 1988". As far as I know there was only one set of artwork produced for this, the Mark 1 version, of Gordon's kit (as used for example for the Pendon Museum 36-ton crane model).

So who was Rod Neep, and what what his role? Are the "Rod Neep etches" different to the Ted Holloway etches?

Can anyone shed further light on the evolution of these etches?

Craneman,

The Rod Neep etches were my first attempt at producing a kit of Swindon No 2.

Incidentally this etch was also reduced to 3mm for Pete Warren.

Ted Holloway apeared on the scene when he was asked to build one of the Rod Neep crane etches, and was introduced to me via Dave Smith (Now retired from Blacksmith Models)

A very interesting conversation or two took place between Ted and myself regarding the Rod Neep etch, during which Ted convinced me that he could do a better job than Rod given the same information.

So after some careful thought I took Ted up on his offer which resulted in the Ted Holloway etch of the crane which I am still planning to market, hopefully in the next couple of years after I hopefully retire.

This etch has a lot more detail and includes thanks to Ted's research includes the weight tender in the kit.

To be fair to Rod from memory he did the job on a tight budget, while with Ted I paid in stages.

Gordon A

Bristol

Gordon,

Many thanks for explaining the evolution of the etched. I hadn't realised that there were already two versions.

Which etches were used in the kit which made it to market in limited numbers? I imagine the Ted Holloway version, since the two assembled cranes I have seen appear to be thus (Steffan's and the Pendon one).

I'm still looking forward to the revised kit, and I still reckon you'll have it ready before I get the 12"/foot version back in service!

Best wishes,

Roger.

Hi Roger,

I hope the 12" / 1ft is still progressing.

I sold about 20 of the Rod Neep version, including the one at Pendon.

I cannot remember who built that one, but he showed me at an Expo EM some years ago.

It was a superb job.

The latest current version can be seen on Steffan's layout Maindee East.

There may be two or three of the new etches from Ted Holloways estate floating around, otherwise I am not aware of any others.

Gordon A

Bristol

That's useful information about the "Ted Holloway designed for G. Ashton C&E Models 1988"  etches and makes a connection which had been elusive so far.

If it helps I can confirm the existence in March 2009 of 3 sets of these (etches only), 2 of which were sold on Ebay (one by second chance offer) and one retained by the sellers source (who he implied had either drawn or etched the sheets but wouldn't elucidate further). If you are aware of the date of Mr Holloway's demise that might inform whether he or his estate was the source.

Enquiries at the time failed to discover the existence of either instructions or a source of castings etc, but now I understand why.

Regards, Ken...

Archived