Ballymena & Larne 2-4-0T Locos

Killybegs

John,

I found one in Johnson's book "Lost Railways of Co.Tyrone & Co.Fermanagh" on p42. A sideview, unfortunately obscured by three people and a bicycle posed in from of the locomotive. The skirt is absent but the supporting framework is clearly visible. I will scan it for you when I get time. The caption states that the locomotive never actually displayed a number but was generally regarded as no.3. There is a large white C or O or 6 in the middle of the tank side, partly covered by the cyclist's head, so that might have been interpreted as a no.6.

John,

I found one in Johnson's book "Lost Railways of Co.Tyrone & Co.Fermanagh" on p42. A sideview, unfortunately obscured by three people and a bicycle posed in from of the locomotive. The skirt is absent but the supporting framework is clearly visible. I will scan it for you when I get time. The caption states that the locomotive never actually displayed a number but was generally regarded as no.3. There is a large white C or O or 6 in the middle of the tank side, partly covered by the cyclist's head, so that might have been interpreted as a no.6.

That would be great. Many thanks,

John

CDRRL have just got a copy in so now scanned and printed. Thanks.

John

"The Irish Narrow Gauge" volume 2 Tom Ferris 1993 page 32 shows a side on view of the loco in June 1930 with side skirts/footboards.

Thanks Andy, I should be able to borrow a copy of that locally.

John

Scanned and printed yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your help. The model is nearly finished - see blogs. What the photos do show are an awful lot of differences between the locos built for the IoM (on which the Branchlines kit is based) and those delivered to the B&LR. The most obvious (and most difficult to correct) is the height of the side tanks. This together with a larger bunker would seem to indicate that the B&LR locos were expected to travel further between top ups. Add to that lower buffers to accommodate a lower coupling height plus the changes made when it went to the C&VBT and this loco really was quite different! As the person for whom the loco is being built is happy to live with those differences that would otherwise require scratchbuilt replacements, I have limited the alterations to those items that were added later such as the skirts and Westinghouse brake (and associated bits and pieces) and changes to the cab side and rear windows. I also replaced the whitemetal footplate with a new one fretted out of 18thou nickel siver sheet.

• 1 year later...

Archived