Farish 08 shunters

Guest oldlugger

Guest oldlugger

No griffgriff, I just like collecting certain nice looking models, and sometimes a small layout appears as a result! My P4 interests remain as strong as ever and St. Mary Hoo will be back soon...

Cheers

Simon

• 3 months later...

I'm surprised that no-one has picked-up on this yet, but the black and green 08s seem to have arrived in the shops.

A quick check on the website of my local model shop (Monk Bar Model shop in York) suggests that all three variants are now in stock, so I will have to pay a visit there tomorrow!

Andy

I just got an e-mail from Hattons saying my pre-order for 371-022 (Class 08 diesel shunter D3729 in BR green with wasp stripes - weathered) had been processed. Another box to smuggle past the wife! ("Oh that - I've had that aaages!" ;) )

• RMweb Premium

My weathered one has arrived, here are some of the good and bad points I've noted so far.

Overall the model looks quite nice,with the weathering bringing out the detail nicely.The rear windows have had the wiped area masked,so look very nice.

However,the weathering has been applied horizontally to the sides only,so any horizontal surfaces have been missed (apart from some black sprayed around the exhaust).This also means any parts masked by the con. rods will be clean.

The coupling sockets have no centering spring,so the couplings can flop to either side.Could be a problem with magnetic couplings.Anyone else have this problem?My other 08 from a previous batch seems fine in this area.

When this model was released I think there were some comments about the rods being quite wide and fouling a few platforms, and Farish commented that they might look into doing something about it on future batches. Has any of that work been done on this latest batch?

(this is all from memory and I may be wrong)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tony graham

I recently bought a brand new green 08 and it runs amazingly well even over dead frog points. I would say this one runs better than the older batch. Slow speed is good too.

I bought one yesterday and it is smooth, great runner. I would go as far to say it is the best runner I have!

My weathered green version arrived last week (took longer than usual by post to Sydney from Liverpool), and I have to say I'm delighted with it. I've only run it in on a short piece of track with a rolling road, but the slow speed control is particularly impressive.Delighted with my purchase. :sungum:

• 1 year later...

Thread back from the dead!

I bought one of these yesterday (or rather, my little lad did) and the quartering seems to be slightly out. It has a slight 'waddle' and a slight tight spot at low speed. Doubly upsetting as he had a Class 14 with similar symptoms for his birthday, too!

I am loathe to just return it and risk getting a worse one when stocks must by now be quite low. Can anyone advise me on how I might correct the problem? There was no customary leaflet with it describing its assembly. Alternatively, has anyone had any luck getting Farish to fix rather than just swap one? They seem to manage it with the exhibition returns sales, which always work flawlessly in my frustrated experience!

I've fiddled with the quartering on 08s before to cure very slight, but similar issues. It's usually the central wheelset that tends to differ from the outers. I found the wheels would turn enough on their insulators to do this without even disassembling - but the movement needed was very slight, maybe a couple of degrees maximum.

Also worth checking is that the pickups are making good contact with the wheel backs, as sometimes they don't as assembled - it's just a case of fractionally bending them outwards to contact the wheel backs better.

Best,

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

After not wanting to buy one of these for the longest time, I ended up with three, although with only two actually kept.  The first one I bought was an all green one from the second release (wooden doors) which wobbled terribly so it was returned.  Its replacement ran perfectly.  The third was a MZ special edition "Ivor" which I picked up very cheap from The Signal Box during its death throes.  Ivor didn't run well and given that I couldn't return it I took it apart.  I seem to remember something was really wonky with the pickups.  (I really should start taking pictures when I repair something so I can remember what was wrong and how I fixed it!)  I just sorted those out and it ran like a dream.

The model comes apart quite easily but to remove the wheels to get to the pickups properly (at this point in time and having forgotten, I can only assume that I could not affect repair to them without disassembly) you have to twist the 4 sandpipes out of the way so you you can remove the bottom of the outside framing below the axles.  The way those bits are designed to slot into the upper part of the outside framing is rather neat.  The pickup arrangment is very similar to the sandwich arrangement of the old Poole Farish steam engines and care must be taken to be sure you put the sandwich back together in the correct order.

Matt

Archived