How many Lattice Post signals still in use?

As Lattice Post signals are becoming rarer due to re signaling schemes, how many are left in use on our railways. Stirling has some nice examples, the up starter at Pitlochry is a rare survivor

post-11150-0-81097200-1334238975_thumb.jpg

post-11150-0-97437100-1334239193_thumb.jpg

I noticed another at Dunkeld but didn`t get a photo, anyone know of other examples

I noticed a nice example at Barnetby last week; not a Stevens post like your picture but possibly LNER?. In fact all the signalling is worthy of a look at that location. I can't get a link but google image Barnetby signals and you'll see it; miniature shunting arm too!

Andy

I noticed a nice example at Barnetby last week; not a Stevens post like your picture but possibly LNER?. In fact all the signalling is worthy of a look at that location. I can't get a link but google image Barnetby signals and you'll see it; miniature shunting arm too!

This one?

post-6669-0-24356800-1334242967.jpg

Fort William still has some.

Unfortunately, this one has recently been replaced with a modern "heavyweight" girder post

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/images/7000/7646.jpg

but these are still in place, as are the home and starter at the other end of the passing loop on the Mallaig line

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/images/5000/5433.jpg

There's still a LMS lattice bracket at Crewe Bank (Shrewsbury) but it's since gained a few H&S carbuncles on it. Don't think it'll be there much longer though. Unless somebody beats me to it I'll dig a picture out

post-7179-0-18872500-1334271034.jpg

Edit.Pic added.

Jon F.

• RMweb Premium

Amberley in Sussex (in the heart of LBSC territory) has an LSWR lattice post at the south end of the down platform.

post-6910-0-55502500-1334270918_thumb.jpg

I presume this was a reuse of one from elsewhere, all the others in the area are SR rail built jobs.

Got less than two years left according to my sources. The finial is interesting on it!

There's also some at Stonehaven and points South.

Just as Jim says - these on the Up Main south of the station (those on the Down side having been replaced with tubular posts at some point) all complete bar the finials as seen in the somewhat earlier (circa 66) photo...

post-6691-0-06294000-1334275525_thumb.jpg post-6691-0-49037100-1334275822.jpg

Amberley in Sussex (in the heart of LBSC territory) has an LSWR lattice post at the south end of the down platform.

post-6910-0-55502500-1334270918_thumb.jpg

I presume this was a reuse of one from elsewhere, all the others in the area are SR rail built jobs.

Got less than two years left according to my sources. The finial is interesting on it!

The finial is of the Saxby & Farmer pattern, a drawing is on page 18 of A.A. Maclean`s book "A Pictorial Record of LNER Constituent Signalling", ISBN 0860931463.

Are they still on the old G&SW main line from Kilmarnock to Dumrfries?

Can't think of any off hand Natalie - mainly LMS/BR tubular - but there might be a stray one surviving.

Both Barrhill and Girvan have one each. I've a reasonable pic of the latter, but nothing clear of the former.

Girvan's:-

post-6670-0-78983100-1334339188_thumb.jpg

Guest Natalie Graham

Can't think of any off hand Natalie - mainly LMS/BR tubular - but there might be a stray one surviving.

Both Barrhill and Girvan have one each. I've a reasonable pic of the latter, but nothing clear of the former.

There certainly used to be one at Thornhill station and I seem to remember others but it has been a few of years since I travelled down that line.

There is a rare example at Kew East that's going to be consigned to history in the next few weeks, not sure what company made it.

Old photos I've seen tell me that the NLL used to be littered with them.

The post has got to be 15 - 20m tall, and it used to have a co acting sigal so drivers could see the signal over the north circular rd, in addition I believe it's a split home signal AND a split distant for New Kew and Old Kew junctions.

Not too many people know about it as the line is generally freight only (Anglia used to have that funny Colchester to Farnbrough(?) run)

Mike

post-2230-0-93132000-1334687929_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The up distant for Saxilby is a lattice post. The post originally had a stop arm above the distant. I have just totally failed to secure a link to the location on google streetview but it can be seen on there.

Edit for another try...

http://www.panoramio.../photo/60932528

The stop arm was the Up Home for Sykes Junction signal box which was taken out in the 1980s. I believe the arm is now motor operated rather than wire operated.

• RMweb Gold

Unusual one at Dunblane a couple of years ago

Mike Wiltshire

I went to Dunblane back in the early 1990s specifically to get a picture of that signal (and various lattice post signals then at Stirling) and was very disappointed to find it in the state shown in Mike's picture because the upper part of the post and the 'sky' arm had been removed. This happened to a lot of signals in Scotland c.1991/92 and I've an idea that SV8 in Bob's pic and possibly the one at Girvan were also victims. I'm not sure but I belief the removal of the sky arm, and the tall upper part of the lattice posts which carried them was because of concerns regarding the condition of the metalwork and possible risk to Lampmen.

Incidentally the Amberley signal in post no.9 might well be a southern railway signal as it used lattice until going over to railbuilt posts in the 1930s (and even after that it continued to use lattice for the dolls on bracket signals). The only extant lattice post I know of in the south - unless it has gone since I last passed that way - is at Wokingham for a disc signal (unable to scan my B&W pic of it alas).

And as far as I know there are no surviving examples of GWR lattice signal posts on either the national network or in preservation, alas I doubt if any lasted beyond the 1960s.

The one at Stonehaven Mike is pretty much (apart from changes to the mechanism and the loss of the finial) pretty much as it was back in 48? (the earliest I've a photo) though it does look like it been lopped off. Here it is in the 80s http://flic.kr/p/7FyWK1 I'd alway assumed it was that wee for sighting purposes below the station canopy - those much taller lattice posts on the opposite line however have been changed for BR/LMS tubular posts in more recent years and only one? tall post remains on the Up side to the North of the station - see here http://flic.kr/p/7Dk9eh in 1981 though much as it is today (sadly I can't say the same about the traction). (BTW by Sky signal do you mean the finial? - I know B all about signalling terminology I should admit)!

• RMweb Gold

The post has got to be 15 - 20m tall, and it used to have a co acting sigal so drivers could see the signal over the north circular rd, in addition I believe it's a split home signal AND a split distant for New Kew and Old Kew junctions.

LMS straight post lattice signals were provided when the post was over 35' (iirc) tall.

This is a junction signal, using two posts to signify the two routes, the distants apply to the boxes around the respective "corners", they are not splitting distants though.

• RMweb Gold

(BTW by Sky signal do you mean the finial? - I know B all about signalling terminology I should admit)!

The "sky" arm is (normally) the top arm in a co-acting signal, so it's visible against the sky (hence the name), a lower repeater was normally provided so that train crew don't have to adopt all sorts of yoga poses to see the arm.

• RMweb Gold

The one at Stonehaven Mike is pretty much (apart from changes to the mechanism and the loss of the finial) pretty much as it was back in 48? (the earliest I've a photo) though it does look like it been lopped off. Here it is in the 80s http://flic.kr/p/7FyWK1 I'd alway assumed it was that wee for sighting purposes below the station canopy - those much taller lattice posts on the opposite line however have been changed for BR/LMS tubular posts in more recent years and only one? tall post remains on the Up side to the North of the station - see here http://flic.kr/p/7Dk9eh in 1981 though much as it is today (sadly I can't say the same about the traction). (BTW by Sky signal do you mean the finial? - I know B all about signalling terminology I should admit)!

Thanks for that Bob - I must have been thinking about one of the others at Stonehaven as old views show one which was quite tall (probably about 40+ft?) and I assumed the one in your pic was another which suffered in the 'cutting down' sessions of teh early '90s.

Beast has explained sky arms and the Dunblane one was very much in that category with the lower (remaining) arm for nearer distance sighting under the footbridge I presume.

Archived