Dogfish Wagons in EWS Days

ISTR that there were around 50 Dogfish converted to air brakes, at least one of which ended up in Load Haul colours from what I can remember. The code HPA was allocated to the converted wagons, but I don't think I've ever seen a photo of one carrying that TOPS code, not that I've looked particularly hard though.

• RMweb Premium

ISTR that there were around 50 Dogfish converted to air brakes, at least one of which ended up in Load Haul colours from what I can remember. The code HPA was allocated to the converted wagons, but I don't think I've ever seen a photo of one carrying that TOPS code, not that I've looked particularly hard though.

Like this?

EWS Wagon HPA983271 Peterborough West Yard 20/7/03

Only LoadHaul Dogfish/HPA I have ever seen and fortunately I had the sense to take a picture of it. Never seen any EWS maroon ones though.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Never seen an EWS red one....

If you see what you think is a red one - it's usually rust or primer :no:

HPA - Loadhaul and Dutch livery with HPA TOPS codes showing are the only ones I've come across.

Will find link to a photoset from Lee Davies and post it one here when I do.

Thanks

Phil H

Eurotunnel have a couple of the Loadhaul-liveried ones for spot ballasting at the UK Terminal- usually stood on the road of the UK Yard nearest the main-line embankment. The modified wagons were originally intended for imported chrome ore traffic from Immingham to Sheffield, IIRC, and it may be that a wagon was painted up in EWS maroon for publicity purposes.

Hi, all. Yesterday, I was reading some kit instructions, which said that some Dogfish Wagons had EWS Maroon livery applied

I don't recall seeing a Dogfish (air or vacuum braked!) in EWS paint - as above some of the air braked conversions definately got Loadhaul paint. There's a Dutch one at Long Marston which is an HPA as well so they weren't all even repainted in Loadhaul.

but which were all withdrawn by 2008

Before that really.

Vac braked engineers stuff lasted till 2002-ish IIRC, air braked ones **might** have lasted a little longer but with production Autoballasters being delivered en-masse circa 2001 the Dogfish would have definately been the first of the 'old school' designs out of the door.

There will have been the odd one (usually vac) dumped in out of the way corners after that - for example I think there's still one at the end of a siding at Tiverton Jcn.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

None of those photos were taken by me. I did take some photos of a Loadhaul liveried air braked dogfish at Tyne Yard and had them on my fotopic site before it went bust but those are not them.

Cheers

David

• 1 month later...

Archived