GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

Hello George,

sorry to have been negative in my last post. But it looks like you have taken it as it was meant.

The photo of 30089 is interesting in that it looks like the vac. pipe has some of coupling just above the running plate so that the vac. pipe could be removed to open the smoke box door.

OzzyO.

Hello OzzyO, l have looked a many photo's of the B4, and they are all different in some way or another, so l have got two picture's of 30089, so l will model as in the photo, l have taken your advice and got in touch with Laurie Griffin, and have bought a new smoke-box door and dart handle - whistle, l am sticking with the chimney and dome l already have, as they are right for 30089, thank you for your advice and help, never negative, but constructive,

Hello OzzyO, l have looked a many photo's of the B4, and they are all different in some way or another, so l have got two picture's of 30089, so l will model as in the photo, l have taken your advice and got in touch with Laurie Griffin, and have bought a new smoke-box door and dart handle - whistle, l am sticking with the chimney and dome l already have, as they are right for 30089, thank you for your advice and help, never negative, but constructive,

Hi Buddy What motor are you using this time?

Hello Peter, A minefield is spot on, as l found with Bullied Pacific's when building 'Fighter pilot' every photo l found something different, in the end you have to pick a loco and stick to it, with the B4 there is not a lot of information / photo's l can find, but the information l do have differ's greatly, so l am sticking with 30089 as per photo.

l am thinking about building a terrier A1X, as a next project and was thinking of the ACE kit as a starter, l see in your blog that you have had one of these, and was wondering if it was the challenge as everyone say's ?

l am thinking about building a terrier A1X, as a next project and was thinking of the ACE kit as a starter, l see in your blog that you have had one of these, and was wondering if it was the challenge as everyone say's ?

It was not a hard kit to do, most of the tab and slot were miss aligned, but a file cures that. The cab need a little work for it was etched to wide. But for the cost which I think is about £100 it is not bad.

Hello George,

I'm sorry to say that the chimney in mess. #17, and the one on the loco in mess. # 20, just look too different to me.

Heads for the cover of the parapet,

now has coat on and left the building,

OzzyO.

• RMweb Premium

Hello George,

The photo of 30089 is interesting in that it looks like the vac. pipe has some of coupling just above the running plate so that the vac. pipe could be removed to open the smoke box door. OzzyO.

Hi Ozzy & George,

The vac pipe was pivoted, so it could be swung out of the vertical and lean against the buffer to give clearance for the Smokebox door to open. Several photos show it left this way if not required.

Hello George,

I'm sorry to say that the chimney in mess. #17, and the one on the loco in mess. # 20, just look too different to me.

Heads for the cover of the parapet, now has coat on and left the building, OzzyO.

That would depend on the period modelled. The chimney on the model is the early Adams chimney, 30089 in the photo has a later Drummond chimney.

You're right that these locos are a bit of a minefield for the modeller, there being several variations over time as I found out when building one a while ago. As far as I can see from photos, those that survived into BR days ended up with Adams boilers and Drummond chimneys.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

Hi Ozzyo / DLT, Bit of a hornet's nest building up here, the minefield is getting bigger by the day, to me it look's like a B4, and l have been looking at the B4's on various 0' gauge layout's of late and none of them are the same, but when you talk to the builder he always say's "oh that's a B4"

Today l have fitted a few Laurie Griffin part's, l must say it does look better in my eye's, have to make the front and rear step's - lifting lug's - tool-boxe's and body filler in a few gap's, then to the chassis,

With the tool-boxe's some loco's had two, and some only had one, another puzzle ????

Anyway thank you both for the help.

post-7716-0-62241000-1335537256_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-38644900-1335537391_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-07731900-1335538089_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hello Rob / Andy, there will always be a difference of opinion, whatever model we build, but comment's good or bad can only help you build a better model, if you are happy that's good enough, had a busy day today, got the step's fitted and the tool box, now she need's a good scrub up, then the primer,

With the primer, l have bought some of the stuff that Ozzyo was on about, the black etching primer, bought it on e-bay, finger's crossed...............

post-7716-0-23952600-1335709717_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Well l have tried the new BLACK primer, and l must say l'm very impressed, l gave the B4 Three coat's and it has dried (2min) a nice satin finish so good l don't think l will need a top coat

post-7716-0-10933700-1335785985_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

While l am waiting for the wheel's/motor for the Adams B4, l'm getting on with my Fowler 4F 0-6-0, this time l'm starting with the boiler/smoke-box first, always liked the Fowler locomotive's, and have had these drawing's for a while, so l'm making a start,

Also sent away for the Ace A1X, l believe they are a challenge, but l have looked on Peter's (N15 Class) blog, and he has done a fine job on the one that he has, and they are cheap, for £100, and you get all the casting's as well

post-7716-0-69329200-1335804850_thumb.jpg

Edited by georgeT
  • Like 5

Thank's Rob, Keeping an eye on your scratch-build too, very nice so far,

B4 back on the work bench to have the cab interior painted, and the buffer beam's painted red, and vacuum pipe's added..............

post-7716-0-57085100-1335807326_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi George,

Nice build. A question regarding the black primer. I have searched paintsrus website and can't find the product, have searched ebay for paintsrus and have searched ebay with black etch primer, black acid etch primer etc. Can you tell me precisely what to enter in the search to bring up this product?

B

Hi George,

Nice build. A question regarding the black primer. I have searched paintsrus website and can't find the product, have searched ebay for paintsrus and have searched ebay with black etch primer, black acid etch primer etc. Can you tell me precisely what to enter in the search to bring up this product?

B

Buy it on ebay Item number: 180860797938

Last updated on 27 Apr, 2012 09:28:17 BST View all revisions

The name of the company is Clostermann and the aerosols are in 400ml tins and cost £7.20. They are based in Swindon and 1st class delivery Usual disclaimer . This is the primer Malcom Mitchell reccomends.

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link