GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

On 15/08/2020 at 21:22, PeterBB said:

Looks like my next primer will be Halfords!  Have been having a bit of a time with grey primers so thanks al of you.

Peter

You wont go wrong with Halfords primer Peter, promise...

Edited by georgeT
  • Agree 2

George,

I see what you mean about the wire. 

Another potential issue is that the wires being soldered in to the ends of the plungers and lying "straight on" means the two wires will interfere with each others movements. My approach would to bend the wire at 90 degrees at the point that they meet the plunger. The route them back parallel to the underside of the chassis towards the wire holding the brakes then bend at 90 degrees down towards the other holes which are either side of the fixing nut. This will give a sort of swinging arm effect that will offer the least resistance to the plunger movement and  avoid the wires interfering with each other.

I use Slater's plungers which use a little tag on the end of the wire which itself is held on by two nuts. This arrangement automatically gives the first bend mentioned above. The down side to the Slater's version is they are a faff to assemble plus the tag needs insulating else it is liable to short to adjacent parts of the chassis. 

The type you are using are much neater. What make are they by the way?

Keep up the good work.

Ian. 

Edited by Ian Major
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Guest Isambarduk
1 hour ago, georgeT said:

WHY oh WHY did l use such a thick gauge wire on the plungers

Now I was going to mention that, George, but I didn't wish to sound critical. 

I use old transformer wire that is insulated with shelac/varnish; it is very thin, easy to work with and rather unobtrusive.  In fact it, need be no thicker than the wire in the motor armature windings.  I use 24swg (0.02" 0.56 mm in diameter) but it's not critical.  

David

11 minutes ago, Isambarduk said:

Now I was going to mention that, George, but I didn't wish to sound critical. 

I use old transformer wire that is insulated with shelac/varnish; it is very thin, easy to work with and rather unobtrusive.  In fact it, need be no thicker than the wire in the motor armature windings.  I use 24swg (0.02" 0.56 mm in diameter) but it's not critical.  

David

Hello David, Good tip with the wire you use l will try to obtain some, Thanks

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ian Major said:

George,

I see what you mean about the wire. 

Another potential issue is that the wires being soldered in to the ends of the plungers and lying "straight on" means the two wires will interfere with each others movements. My approach would to bend the wire at 90 degrees at the point that they meet the plunger. The route them back parallel to the underside of the chassis towards the wire holding the brakes then bend at 90 degrees down towards the other holes which are either side of the fixing nut. This will give a sort of swinging arm effect that will offer the least resistance to the plunger movement and  avoid the wires interfering with each other.

I use Slater's plungers which use a little tag on the end of the wire which itself is held on by two nuts. This arrangement automatically gives the first bend mentioned above. The down side to the Slater's version is they are a faff to assemble plus the tag needs insulating else it is liable to short to adjacent parts of the chassis. 

The type you are using are much neater. What make are they by the way?

Keep up the good work.

Ian. 

Hello Ian, l don't know why l used the thick wire, l was plodding along happily before l realised, also the thick stuff inhibited the movement of the plungers some what, still its sorted out now and the plungers work much better, take care...

(the plungers are from Dave at JPL he sells them at £1.35 each)...

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

That looks neater George.:good:

Thanks Andy, The plungers have very light springs, l don't know what l was thinking about (Hahahaha), but got there in the end. thanks for the helpful pointers guys...

Edited by georgeT
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, georgeT said:

..., l don't know what l was thinking about ....

George,

You  will have to be like me. I gave up thinking, it hurts too much!

That wiring with those plungers looks good.

Ian.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello lan, l know just what you mean, thinking really hurts these days, l have been building loco / stock kits for years like yourself, and l always use plastic brake blocks glued to the hangars to ease the shorting problem, works great, but did l do it on the N class ?, NOOOOO

Hahahahaha. Stay safe buddy.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

This might be of interest to some modellers, its a JLTRT model of 10001 kit being built by Mark Owen, a friend who has asked me to help out in mainly in the painting and over see what he is doing, all l have done so far is some grey priming, he has done the rest, and a nice job he has done so far..

DSC06996.JPG

DSC06998.JPG

DSC06999.JPG

DSC07000.JPG

Edited by georgeT
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having a little break from the N Class for little a while, and have started a very old kit l bought cheap a while back, and that is a ex GWR 2251 by Jim Harris (Acorn) / Alan Bullock (Javelin) many moons ago, unfortunately there are no instructions to follow, so should be fun.

Edited by georgeT
  • Friendly/supportive 2

26 minutes ago, georgeT said:

Having a little break from the N Class for little a while, and have started a very old kit l bought cheap a while back, and that is a ex GWR 2225 by Jim Harris (Acorn) / Alan Bullock (Javelin) many moons ago, unfortunately there are no instructions to follow, so should be fun.

You'll need loads of reference pics then mate, Good luck with that.

What could possibly go wrong? haha

• Funny 1

George,

I am looking forward very much to this build.

I don't recognize a 2225 class. Is it a Collett 0-6-0 tender engine? If so it will be a 2251 class which will make a lovely model. It should be very sale-able as well since they were very versatile - they were used for local passenger, light goods and banking. So it would easily fit in to most small or large GW layouts. 2225 was one of these but does not appear in my 1960 Combined ABC book.

I you wanted to you could go to town with the tender. Some had ex Aberdare tenders. One of the Worcester 2251s had the tender from a withdrawn Robinson ROD 2-8-0.

Only 3205 has made it to preservation. My  Mother loved railways and enjoyed riding on the Glous & Warks Railway and was keen to have a trip on it when the line was extended to Cheltenham Racecourse. She was not well at the time so I took her ASAP for a trip along the line. The engine that pulled us on that occasion was 3205. She died a few weeks later. Hence I have a particular affection for that loco! 

Ian.

Edited by Ian Major
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1