GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

18 minutes ago, Ian Major said:

George,

I am looking forward very much to this build.

I don't recognize a 2225 class. Is it a Collett 0-6-0 tender engine? If so it will be a 2251 class which will make a lovely model. It should be very sale-able as well since they were very versatile - they were used for local passenger, light goods and banking. So it would easily fit in to most small or large GW layouts. 2225 was one of these but does not appear in my 1960 Combined ABC book.

I you wanted to you could go to town with the tender. Some had ex Aberdare tenders. One of the Worcester 2251s had the tender from a withdrawn Robinson ROD 2-8-0.

Only 3205 has made it to preservation. My  Mother loved railways and enjoyed riding on the Glous & Warks Railway and was keen to have a trip on it when the line was extended to Cheltenham Racecourse. She was not well at the time so I took her ASAP for a trip along the line. The engine that pulled us on that occasion was 3205. She died a few weeks later. Hence I have a particular affection for that loco! 

Ian.

Yes your right Ian, It would have to be 2251 Class, I had a Bachmann OO Model many years ago, and a sweet looking Loco it is too.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, georgeT said:

The N Class 2-6-0 is almost finished now apart from some little painting..

DSC07060.JPG

DSC07061.JPG

That does look good mate, they are a nice size Loco, and BR Mixed Traffic Livery suits them so well. One again a cracking job mate.:good:

I see your back on Lockdown up there again, so I guess it will be back onto the 2251 next week then.

• Friendly/supportive 1

George, the loco looks great. 

As you say, back under stricter lockdown conditions again.  A friend of my wife's suggested that to allow family to gather at Christmas we should hold a funeral for the turkey. That way we could gather 30 people together! 

I am keeping an eye out for Warren Shephard's upcoming 2251 kit. I am sorely tempted. I even have a number in mind - 2232!

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

10 hours ago, Deano747 said:

Very nice, George!

Is the black rattle can or airbrush? Nice finish, whichever.

Regards, Deano.

Hi Deano, lts Helfords rattle can satin black, always gives a nice finish for me...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Ian Major said:

George, the loco looks great. 

As you say, back under stricter lockdown conditions again.  A friend of my wife's suggested that to allow family to gather at Christmas we should hold a funeral for the turkey. That way we could gather 30 people together! 

I am keeping an eye out for Warren Shephard's upcoming 2251 kit. I am sorely tempted. I even have a number in mind - 2232!

Ian.

Hello lan, my 2251 is a very old kit (thought it was a good idea at the time) but no instructions and bits missing very dissapointed, wafer thin brass, but all is not lost as l found on the mm1 website a resin moulded body for the 2251 (£39) so l bought one, a bit happier now, good plan for the turkey hahaha....

• Like 3

• georgeT changed the title to GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) Ex-GWR Class 2251

Nice work George. It might be an old kit but it has scrubbed up well. If the locomotive turns out equally well it will make an attractive model.

Are you going to fabricate a water scoop for that tender (or is there actually one that is hidden from the camera)? It would be a nice little challenge for you. ;)  :) 

Ian.

Edited by Ian Major
  • Agree 1

Really getting on with the 2251, problem was that bits were missing on the body etches, so decided to purchase a resin body from Ex-JLTRT (now MM1) for £39, the major problem was the body was 4mm too long, so as the kit is very old l decided that the body was right, and added an extra 4mm to the footplate, it looks a lot better now, still have some bits to do to finish...

DSC07065.JPG

DSC07066.JPG

DSC07067.JPG

DSC07068.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

George, that looks very nice.

What technique do you use to established the horizontal line for the handrail support holes? I always find it a bit of a challenge to avoid wavy lines, especially on tapered boilers with Belpaire fireboxes.  

Ian.

Interesting. I was judging your pencil line since it is horizontal and straight. Even with pilot holes I would probably still get wavy lines!

My prairie is coming along nicely. I have also dug out some completed locos to put with it in the paint shop. These other locos are complete but in bare metal- one of which has been like that for nearly a quarter of a century. It hadn't turned a wheel in that time and was well and truly seized, shades of Barry wrecks. :huh:

I will update my thread in a few days with some pickies.

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Ian Major said:

Interesting. I was judging your pencil line since it is horizontal and straight. Even with pilot holes I would probably still get wavy lines!

My prairie is coming along nicely. I have also dug out some completed locos to put with it in the paint shop. These other locos are complete but in bare metal- one of which has been like that for nearly a quarter of a century. It hadn't turned a wheel in that time and was well and truly seized, shades of Barry wrecks. :huh:

I will update my thread in a few days with some pickies.

Ian.

Look forward to seeing  them lan.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ian Major said:

George, that looks very nice.

What technique do you use to established the horizontal line for the handrail support holes? I always find it a bit of a challenge to avoid wavy lines, especially on tapered boilers with Belpaire fireboxes.  

Ian.

I don't know what George would do but I use a scribing block for this - slide it along the loco or roll the loco past it on the track.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Here you go George. A couple of shots of my "Jane" which sat in a complete, but unpainted state for nearly 18 years. Painting nearly done - I need to (try to) produce some water slides for the lettering. I think my black paint is a bit tired and gloopy. The chassis was totally chemically blackened 18 years ago and is fading to a grey brown.

Ian.

1325326029_IMG_3553ed.jpg.fefbdf22752331efbb2ea9b8f055c610.jpg

267441909_IMG_3554ed.jpg.3bb22588b9c0dc0111fdb768dc070c0d.jpg

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice George.

Tis a shame we are all bolted back down in Greater Manchester again. It would be nice to get a butchers at it - and the 2251.

Ian.

Edited by Ian Major
Correct speeling mystook.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1