GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

27 minutes ago, Ian Major said:

Very nice George.

Tis a shame we are all bolted back down in Greater Manchester again. It would be nice to get a butchers at it - and the 2251.

Ian.

Thanks lan, Would be great to get back together again, hopefully soon, the Q6 is almost complete now apart from handrails, so l can then get on with my 2251....

• Like 2

Hi George,

I've looked at the Finney7 M7 kit many times when passing their stand at the various exhibitions they attended. But knowing me it would have been lot of money sitting on the shelf waiting to be built. Not sure of my ability to put it together either.

I'm waiting for the Connoisseur O2 to come back in stock which looks a bit simpler.

Good luck with the build, i'm sure it will be another superb Loco for you.

Ray.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Ray, l have been building locos and stock for a while now even scratch built a few but mainly they have been kits, mostly cheap ones which proved to be a real challenge, but you do learn a lot on the way, you say you are waiting for big jim's 02, to come back, good choice as l have built two of them in the past and they are lovely to put together, good instructions too, good luck buddy, you and polly take care and keep safe...

• Thanks 1

George,

That Finney M7 looks very tasty. If it is anything like the large prairie of his that I made (and is crawling through my paintshop) it will be delight to do. As you say the more expensive kits tend to be less challenging because they are generally better designed, have better casting and better instructions/diagrams. No doubt someone will prove me wrong! ;)

Keep your chin up.

Ian.

• Agree 1

Putting on the transfers/plates etc from Fox/Railtech for my buddy, lan@60 even got the arrows the right way round this time? thats another breakfast you owe me mate, (whenever that will be of cause, Hahahahaha)...

DSC07080.JPG

DSC07081.JPG

DSC07082.JPG

Edited by georgeT
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Excellent jobs mate, well done.

Thanks Andy, the N class came back to the bench the day he collected her, he dropped it getting it out of the car ooops, and he made a right mess of it, but she's back in good health now (hopefully) Hahahaha 

• Like 2

George,  Lovely stuff.

1 hour ago, georgeT said:

the N class came back to the bench the day he collected her, he dropped it getting it out of the car...

Always a nightmare. Whenever I drop things, it tends to be something heavy that, as per Murphy's Law, usually lands on the most delicate part of something that I have just finished.

The N class is a perfect fit into our favourite location. The Q6 is a heavy beast for that line. Mark will have to declare it a "preservation era scene" when any heavies visit! ;)

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ian Major said:

George,  Lovely stuff.

Always a nightmare. Whenever I drop things, it tends to be something heavy that, as per Murphy's Law, usually lands on the most delicate part of something that I have just finished.

The N class is a perfect fit into our favourite location. The Q6 is a heavy beast for that line. Mark will have to declare it a "preservation era scene" when any heavies visit! ;)

Ian.

Your heart sinks when you nearly drop an expensive heavy loco, l remember a terrier falling of a layout l was building, it was DCC and the loco was about a foot or so from the end, it was standing still (l thought) but l did not turn it off completely , and was still running on number 1, moving about half an inch a minute then BANG the terrier was in bits on the hard floor my heart sank...sick or what.

• Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, georgeT said:

Your heart sinks when you nearly drop an expensive heavy loco, l remember a terrier falling of a layout l was building, it was DCC and the loco was about a foot or so from the end, it was standing still (l thought) but l did not turn it off completely , and was still running on number 1, moving about half an inch a minute then BANG the terrier was in bits on the hard floor my heart sank...sick or what.

I seem to remember a Mainline Blue Class 60 as well mate.

• Funny 1

Very nice George. I am very tempted to follow suit.

The 2251s were great little all purpose engines, but the drivers that I knew preferred to shunt with pannier tanks. The latter had lever reversers, the 2251s had screw reversers. The guys I used to watch shunting my local yard with a 2251 used to say they got plenty of exercise winding the reverser back and forth!:)

Is the cast boiler solid or hollow. The reason I ask is I am wondering about space to put a DCC controlled speaker. Any thoughts based on your experience?

Ian.

Hello lan, The boiler from MM1 had some sort of balsa wood packed inside the boiler and firebox l only cleared the firebox to fit the motor on the rear axle knowing that there was plenty of room inside the tender for DCC speaker etc etc, not the best kit l have ever built what with no instructions and a few major bits missing, but it looks alright to me, also l couldn't fit plungers to 2268 as the chassis was a bit to wide for them, wish l had checked before building (l normally do), so l have used some pick-up wire on all axles including the tender so l have 12 pick-ups now and she runs lovely, nice and slow, next stop the paint shop for some heavy weathering.. still waiting for the number plates to arrive from Narrow Planet l have had a E-mail telling me they are making them...

DSC07086.JPG

DSC07088.JPG

DSC07089.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

George. I'm in love with it.

Actually I had the same issue with plunger pickups on my 2F. Since I was fitting working valve gear I had to push the frame plates as far out as possible to create enough space for two bearings, two cranks and four eccentrics. The result, a tiny gap twixt wheel backs and frames ie not enough space to squeeze the plastic ("top hat") plunger bodies in in the normal way.

To overcome this, I reamed out the holes in the frames so that the entire plastic "top hat" would pass through. I knocked up some pieces of brass which had holes the same diameter as the narrow part of the plastic "top hat" (shape and thickness not critical). These were soldered centrally over the rear of the plunger holes in the frames.

1539344900_Fittingplungerpickups1.jpg.098a037139e5c9dce24ffda6ae3531f2.jpg

The plastic "top hats" then sit flush in these holes so only the metal part of the pickup stands proud.  (Actually I turned these brass bits up as bushes for the hell of it. ;))

1986358584_FittingPlungerPickups2.jpg.872da96f2c31f01dc1b38a30dba3a9d9.jpg

When fitted and painted they are less visible than the usual arrangement. (Try not to look at the missing paint.:wacko:)

1837090435_Fittingplungerpickups3a.jpg.e2faf39c784cd6db214c6fd7d3d550d0.jpg

Really close up - showing all my horrors.

1940620935_Fittingplungerpickups3.jpg.a98d06d5423974496d6715b53532c042.jpg

With the even stricter lockdown on the Manc area (and everybody else) it looks like it is going to be after Xmas before I get to see your work in the flesh. Still, as my Grandfather used to say to me, all good things come to those who wait.

Ian.

PS I should have added - thanks for the info on the MM1 boiler core. Very useful.

Edited by Ian Major
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1