GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

Thanks for all the likes guys, makes it all worthwhile, down for another day with Andy tomorrow for a play with the O gauge layout he is building, should be a nice day, and a visit to the GCR for some pictures...

• Like 1

Thanks for all the likes guys, makes it all worthwhile, down for another day with Andy tomorrow for a play with the O gauge layout he is building, should be a nice day, and a visit to the GCR for some pictures...

Morning mate, You forgot to mention the BIG BREAKFAST to start the day at the GCR, hahah. As you say it should be a good day, don't forget to pick Jeff / Binny up on your way through Burton.

• Like 1

The card build is top notch. I love card as a medium myself but never built a loco with it. I remember seeing an article in Railway Modeller when I was a kid showing someone building a gauge 1 Bulleid Pacific if I remember correctly. That was awesome.

• RMweb Gold

Can't quite remember who but a dedicated group of 'cardboard' locomotive builders feature at a large number of exhibitions - I was with George when they demonstrated the techniques to him.  He initially had a go but gave up and left it but his latest creation - well, its great!

Keep it up George, cheers, Peter

Thanks Andy, Cav, Peter, Nick & Marcus, And all the likes guys, the loco will be painted soon and then l will build the chassis in card too...Next l am going to try to build an ex-Southern baggage van in card too, l have taken a few photos when l was with Andy and co on Saturday.....

post-7716-0-94429500-1483373216_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-89239900-1483373224_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-14538200-1483373234_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks Andy, Cav, Peter, Nick & Marcus, And all the likes guys, the loco will be painted soon and then l will build the chassis in card too...Next l am going to try to build an ex-Southern baggage van in card too, l have taken a few photos when l was with Andy and co on Saturday.....

Next time we go out you need to take a tape measure with you mate.

• Like 1

Initial tests with building locos etc from card were good, but there are downsides too, two coats of primer and a matt black finishing coat has left the loco patchy and dull, plus its hard to drill holes where you want them, so its back to good old brass from now on, enjoyed the diversion but not for me....

post-7716-0-04475700-1483792091_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-73863700-1483792098_thumb.jpg

A couple of coats of shellac and you should be able to lightly sand the card with fine wet & dry paper.

Wouldn't dream of spraying primer on the bare card itself. 

Still nothing beats rivets in brass. Loved your B4 build.

And some Paper, Pencil and a Clip Board as well mate.

Hardback plain page booklet, tape-measure and camera are your best friends out in the field.....plus a load of goodwill from station staff. I took 54 pictures at Carrog last weekend to augment pages of sketches and measurements taken from window frames to lengths of buildings etc. To me this is one of the exciting parts of railway modelling. The building of the buildings could be something else!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Initial tests with building locos etc from card were good, but there are downsides too, two coats of primer and a matt black finishing coat has left the loco patchy and dull, plus its hard to drill holes where you want them, so its back to good old brass from now on, enjoyed the diversion but not for me....

That's a shame George, as it looked so good in plain card last week when I saw it.