GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

For as long as l remember l have used the airbrush for painting my models, but all the mixing and cleaning had put me off doing it all again after a few years away from spraying, so l thought l would give the rattle can another try,  (l tried them years ago and they were a disaster for me anyway) so while at Stafford on Sunday l bought two cans of Railmatch 1604 GWR Freight Grey & 1233 BR Bauxite and l must say l'm well impressed,

First l gave the wagons a red primer and then two light coats of the Bauxite brown next l will give a coat of Gloss to apply the transfers then a nice coat of Satin varnish to seal and finish the wagons, so from now on l will only use the airbrush to lightly weather my stock....

post-7716-0-50947600-1486663722_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-03276700-1486663730_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Like you George I have used an airbrush for ever, but usually only for weathering and occasionally for coach painting.  A couple of weeks ago a friend pointed out that I don't have a pressure regulator on my compressor.  :nono: On his advice I fitted one and the results have been transformational.  :sungum:  I mostly use acrylics, which work fine for brush painting goods stock.  The other day I airbrush painted a container BR Maroon with Phoenix enamel and the finish was excellent.

John

• Like 1

Hi George,

I am just the opposite. Once I discovered that you don't get anywhere near the spray dust from the airbrush that you do from rattlecans I stopped using them and use acrylics through the air brush exclusively these days.

One thing that I found recently is that if you fill a bowl with hot water and after initially rinsing the thicker paint from the cup that dipping the airbrush in the bowl and spraying for 5 mins or so get's virtually everything out of the air brush making further cleaning up much easier. That wouldn't work for enamels of course.

• Like 2

Good evening John & Rob, l take all of your points and tips and l agree, but as l have said l normally use the airbrush for everything l paint, but its all the mess you have to clean up after its use, yes l agree the rattle cans are not as subtle as the airbrush but with practice you can get the rattle can to do a fine mist from a distance and give the model 2-3 light coats to build up the colour, l have used acrylics through the airbrush many times but l found the finish is normally very soft and not as hard as enamels, also l find that there are not very many railway colours in acrylics as there are with enamels, l have tried the Railmatch acrylics and found the finish to be not as good as their enamels (maybe its me)

• Like 1

Good evening John & Rob, l take all of your points and tips and l agree, but as l have said l normally use the airbrush for everything l paint, but its all the mess you have to clean up after its use, yes l agree the rattle cans are not as subtle as the airbrush but with practice you can get the rattle can to do a fine mist from a distance and give the model 2-3 light coats to build up the colour, l have used acrylics through the airbrush many times but l found the finish is normally very soft and not as hard as enamels, also l find that there are not very many railway colours in acrylics as there are with enamels, l have tried the Railmatch acrylics and found the finish to be not as good as their enamels (maybe its me)

Are you bringing them down for the MASTER to examine and pass judgment tomorrow mate, hahahha

Hi George,

I hear you on the point about not many acrylic railway colours. Railmatch do a few and Humbrol do a few but I must admit I don't tend to use either much.

I use Vallejo acrylics for the simple reason that I have access to shops that sell them and they are great paints. They are a bit like Games workshop paints in so much as some of them have strange names (as an example I use Vallejo Game Colour "Dark Fleshtones" for bauxite and "Flat Earth for LNER coaching stock brown). They also do a range that are ready thinned for spraying for those that are not confident in mixing their own. I must admit I tend to mix my own because it works out cheaper and I am from that side of the Pennines :sungum:  

Not disputing anything George, just stating some of my experiences.  I use rattle cans a lot because they are convenient, mostly primer but white and black too.  Also spray varnish.  Airbrushing can be tedious because it requires stripping and cleaning after every session. 

You could be right about acrylics George, although I admit to liking them and used them for a long time without issue. I think the finish can be "hardened" by varnishing with lacquer (like Dullcote).  Finding correct UK railway colours is difficult here, although I have a few bottles of Railmatch that are more than 20 yrs old.  I can't get paint from UK anymore but I've been able to use some US colours that are close.

It's always a good thing to hear what others are doing, there could be a better way who knows.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 2

Not disputing anything George, just stating some of my experiences.  I use rattle cans a lot because they are convenient, mostly primer but white and black too.  Also spray varnish.  Airbrushing can be tedious because it requires stripping and cleaning after every session. 

You could be right about acrylics George, although I admit to liking them and used them for a long time without issue. I think the finish can be "hardened" by varnishing with lacquer (like Dullcote).  Finding correct UK railway colours is difficult here, although I have a few bottles of Railmatch that are more than 20 yrs old.  I can't get paint from UK anymore but I've been able to use some US colours that are close.

It's always a good thing to hear what others are doing, there could be a better way who knows.

John

Spot on John, When l was in my 30s l would think nothing of spraying many different colours and cleaning everything out to do so, but l am 65 now and getting lazy Hahaha plus l hate the smell from the thinners, gives me a headache every time, with the rattle cans the fumes go out of the extractor and no cleaning up...bliss....

Hi George,

I hear you on the point about not many acrylic railway colours. Railmatch do a few and Humbrol do a few but I must admit I don't tend to use either much.

I use Vallejo acrylics for the simple reason that I have access to shops that sell them and they are great paints. They are a bit like Games workshop paints in so much as some of them have strange names (as an example I use Vallejo Game Colour "Dark Fleshtones" for bauxite and "Flat Earth for LNER coaching stock brown). They also do a range that are ready thinned for spraying for those that are not confident in mixing their own. I must admit I tend to mix my own because it works out cheaper and I am from that side of the Pennines :sungum:  

Hello Rob, l took your advice a while ago and got the Vallejo Acrylics and found them to be very good and the colours were a very good match....

• Like 1

Hi George, Thanks for coming down today, here's some pics I took of your G6 running on our Clubs small O Gauge Layout, the Dornoch Branch, hope you had a good journey home and not to much Snow.

post-9335-0-66734400-1486742210_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-98106800-1486742260_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-70069300-1486742299_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-18575800-1486742343_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-23423000-1486742390_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-58733600-1486742447_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-98098300-1486742513_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-32868300-1486742570_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality mate, I'm sure your pics will be much better.

Meant to say, what a cracking model and it ran so sweetly.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 6

Hi George, Thanks for coming down today, here's some pics I took of your G6 running on our Clubs small O Gauge Layout, the Dornoch Branch, hope you had a good journey home and not to much Snow.

attachicon.gifClub Running with George 010.JPG

attachicon.gifClub Running with George 012.JPG

attachicon.gifClub Running with George 016.JPG

attachicon.gifClub Running with George 018.JPG

attachicon.gifClub Running with George 017.JPG

attachicon.gifClub Running with George 019.JPG

attachicon.gifClub Running with George 024.JPG

attachicon.gifClub Running with George 023.JPG

Sorry about the poor quality mate, I'm sure your pics will be much better.

Meant to say, what a cracking model and it ran so sweetly.

Thanks for a great day out Andy l really enjoyed myself, it was good to give the G6 a decent run on both layouts...

• Like 1

Morning Guys, Been busy in the paint shop today painting GW freight grey (Railmatch) to some wagons first was Connoisseur 20t brake van and a Parkside 12t van and then the JLTRT Mink...

I really like your painting turntable idea! I'm shamelessly stealing it...

I like the turntable and have one but I didn't think to add a piece of track.

It seems a brave thing to paint the brake like that.  Everyone has their own methods of course.  I just finished Slater's version but I tend to paint the various areas separately.  I also used acrylic paint that I brushed on.

John

• Like 1