GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

Morning Cav, Ray has given me an idea that's making me think, as l have a few yards of spare O gauge track l might cut off one side of the chair and add them to my soldered track on the side you can see.......

That sounds like a plan mate, very good idea.

At last 'Swindley'  has had the baseboards made, l used 9mm plywood and 2x2 softwood legs that slot into the boards, as the layout will be a stay at home layout l will bolt it all together for now, the tops will be fixed on tomorrow, the panel pins will be removed once the glue has set

post-7716-0-38356700-1479317487_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-63195300-1479317494_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-31098100-1479317502_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-90445400-1479317509_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-34130500-1479317517_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Cheers Guys, Need to sort a trackplan out yet, l need a few sidings to shunt some wagons, also need to fit in my signalbox and the engine shed, so l'm thinking of something like Andys  first O gauge layout 'St Budoc' l had a play with some of Andys locos and my first o gauge loco builds and l really enjoyed it 2 to 3 wagons and plenty of light engine movements ...great stuff...

• Like 1

Thanks for all the likes Guys, What l really enjoy most of all is creating things (mainly from scratch) be it buildings, wagons or locos, even track whatever so the layout l want to build will be some sort of overgrown yard with sidings, just somewhere to play with the things l have built, l dont want to stick to any given time or place as l want to run anything, it must have an engine shed to run in and out of, (just love sheds) Hahahaha so lets see what happens next ?..

Very nice carpentry skills there George.

You'll be up and running in no time at all!!!

Jinty ;)

Thank you very much Jinty,  l have built many layouts in the past but l just got bored with them and so l sold them on as unfinished projects the only exception was 'Ashcombe' which went for good money, but l have learned plenty on the way, now l have given up on the idea of an exhibition type layout (too much trouble and stress) so for a change l thought l would build something for myself to retire with, as for up and running watch this space  Hahahaha...

• Like 3

At last 'Swindley'  has had the baseboards made, l used 9mm plywood and 2x2 softwood legs that slot into the boards, as the layout will be a stay at home layout l will bolt it all together for now, the tops will be fixed on tomorrow, the panel pins will be removed once the glue has set

Hi George.

You might want to consider two diagonal cross braces on the legs of one board to add some rigidity.

I discovered that Sheds on small Layouts waste to much space. To make a small Layout work you need operation, you need Wagon Destinations and you need a purpose to move Stock about, i.e Coal Siding, Cattle Dock, End Loading Dock, Side Loading Dock, Provender Store or Goods Shed, General Siding with Crane, Dairy, Brewery, Warehouse, etc. With a Shed it's just a Loco in, stand still and out, with a Goods Shed you can Shunt a Wagon in with a Purpose. You mentioned St Budoc, that had a Long Siding, a Coal Siding an unloading siding and the China Clay / Transfer Shed in front of the Fiddle Yard so loads of Wagon Destinations.

A Loco Shed will be about 15'' x 9'' and need a Road at least 3ft long to get the outside pit into and the Coaling Stage, (assuming it's a small one) and that's a big chunk of base board mate, have a good think about it.

Ray's comment about the Leg Cross bracing is very valid, the Clubs Thomas Layout nearly ended up on the Floor the other night as someone touched it and the legs gave way a bit.

Impressive woodwork George.  I have built boards for a friends 12' x 28" layout.  Right now the plan is to adapt an OO track plan "Drewry Lane"  (BRM Sept 2016) to 7mm.  I'm interested to see what you can do in this small space.

John

While the search for a decent track plan goes on, l have painted the box....its not stuck together yet and far from finished but l think it looks the part so far....

George,

Great work on the signal box, and shed, I'm impressed. Have you looked at the Iain Rice  O gauge layout plan ' Monksgate Goods Depot '. At 11ft X 21" it is the correct size, and features a signal box, loco shed and warehouse. It is featured in his book ' Designs for urban layouts'. 

John

• Like 1

George,

Great work on the signal box, and shed, I'm impressed. Have you looked at the Iain Rice  O gauge layout plan ' Monksgate Goods Depot '. At 11ft X 21" it is the correct size, and features a signal box, loco shed and warehouse. It is featured in his book ' Designs for urban layouts'. 

John

Thanks for that John l will look out for a copy if l get stuck....

Gave the 08 a its first short run with my new DCC system, still trying to work out the lights ?.....will renumber to 08206 as l have got the transfers from Railtech this morning..

If its a 4 function Chip then they may not work correctly, but Jintyman or someone may be able to confirm it.

Gave the 08 a its first short run with my new DCC system, still trying to work out the lights ?.....will renumber to 08206 as l have got the transfers from Railtech this morning..

Hi George, what decoder have you used?

The Dapol 08 requires 5 functions to operate the lights.

As a sound decoder, I've used the Zimo MX644D from Digitrains and altered the CV's to operate the shunting lights on F21 and cab lights on F20. I'm not sure if your system goes up to F21 or not, as I'm not familiar with it.

Let me know how you get on with removing the existing numbering as I found with just a short little try the other evening, they were a bit stubborn!!

Jinty ;)

George, silly question maybe but what are you using to cut rail?  :jester:  In 4mm, the Xuron is indispensable to me but it is hard graft with code 124.  I need two hands and I get pieces of rail flying in all directions. :O   A cutting wheel works of course but not as convenient.

John

Impressive woodwork George.  I have built boards for a friends 12' x 28" layout.  Right now the plan is to adapt an OO track plan "Drewry Lane"  (BRM Sept 2016) to 7mm.  I'm interested to see what you can do in this small space.

John

Hello John, When l started out in O gauge l was more in love with the building of locos mainly, and never gave a thought on the size of everything, then after a year or so l had a silly moment where l sold all my locos l had made in O gauge and went back to OO and built 'Bishop Street' and 'Compton Abbas' both were failed projects so after weeks of thinking l got back into O gauge, but the size really does matter l have 11' x 2' to play with now and a blank canvas, but you cant really have a station as coaches are at least 15" or more, so take a loco and two coaches will be nearly 4' and the run round tracks at least 3'6" so already you realise you haven't got much room to play with, so l have come up with an idea of making a dead end layout with just some sidings coming out from a hidden fiddle yard a bit like Andys 'St Budoc'  where a few wagons and some locos you can shunt around, well that's the plan today anyway  Hahahaha

• Like 1

George, silly question maybe but what are you using to cut rail?  :jester:  In 4mm, the Xuron is indispensable to me but it is hard graft with code 124.  I need two hands and I get pieces of rail flying in all directions. :O   A cutting wheel works of course but not as convenient.

John

Hello John, nothing fancy all l use is a dremel drill with a 2" cutting disc it does the trick and no flying bits of track...

Hi George, what decoder have you used?

The Dapol 08 requires 5 functions to operate the lights.

As a sound decoder, I've used the Zimo MX644D from Digitrains and altered the CV's to operate the shunting lights on F21 and cab lights on F20. I'm not sure if your system goes up to F21 or not, as I'm not familiar with it.

Let me know how you get on with removing the existing numbering as I found with just a short little try the other evening, they were a bit stubborn!!

Jinty ;)

Morning Jinty, All l have is a standard Bacmann 21pin 4 function decoder just to get it moving, But Cathy has said she will buy me a sound chip for Christmas, l just need to find a simple plug and play sound chip ?...NOT DCC MINDED YOU SEE...Hahahahaha

• Like 2

Morning Mate, I'm ordering the Paul Chetter ProtoDrive once I know my FIRST 08 has arrived, John at our Club is having a Howes Sound, and I think it's Brian who you know is having the Digi Trains Sound so were going to get them all together and do a comparison test at the Clubroom.

Should be interesting.

Morning Mate, I'm ordering the Paul Chetter ProtoDrive once I know my FIRST 08 has arrived, John at our Club is having a Howes Sound, and I think it's Brian who you know is having the Digi Trains Sound so were going to get them all together and do a comparison test at the Clubroom.

Should be interesting.

Cheers Andy, Will be interesting to hear the results...