GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

Thanks David, l think its the worst kit l have ever tried to built, the instructions are vague to say the least, l know some professional builders and they have told me that they would not touch them with a barge pole ? l have had to download loads of pictures just to find out what l am supposed to be building, with the hand rails we have decided to make them slightly over scale to make the fit, they don't look to bad, and l replaced the roof as the original one was paper thin. 

PS, Long time no see, it must be time for a met up..

DSC06550.JPG

DSC06551.JPG

Edited by georgeT
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, georgeT said:

Thanks David, l think its the worst kit l have ever tried to built, the instructions are vague to say the least, l know some professional builders and they have told me that they would not touch them with a barge pole ? l have had to download loads of pictures just to find out what l am supposed to be building, with the hand rails we have decided to make them slightly over scale to make the fit, they don't look to bad, and l replaced the roof as the original one was paper thin. 

PS, Long time no see, it must be time for a met up..

DSC06550.JPG

DSC06551.JPG

Like the brake van. But with such nice bodywork, I think that your client would be well-advised to divvy up a bit more money and get some decent buffers for it.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jintyman said:

That's looking good George.

Yes we must have a get together soon, life can get in the way a bit sometimes!!!

Jinty ;)

I'll be in North Wales in a few short weeks now, so maybe then hopefully.

• RMweb Gold

Looking good George. I built a couple of the PRMP TTA tank wagon kits a couple of months ago and the instructions on those are dreadful. Relied heavily on internet photos to work out where everything went! The whitemetal buffers were replaced. Would expect sprung buffers on an 0 gauge wagon kit. Wagons came out OK though, but not without some effort.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi richard, lt would be easier to scratchbuild it, as you have found out the instructions are crap, it says you can download further help on the web but all that shows it what it looks like and not where anything goes, l am really struggling with the ploughs they are awful even with downloaded pictures, NEVER again...

• Friendly/supportive 3

I brought one of these part built several years ago and still haven't finished it, mainly due to other things being more urgent, what I can remember of it that it was for the last 20 only as had roller bearings and I believe low vac pipes

Here's a pic of one at the Peak Rail

Michael

IMG_2503.JPG

• Thanks 1

Hi George, just getting back into my groove.  Your brake looks interesting and you've done a good job.  However, if I can throw in my 2 cents, those handrails wouldn't do for me.  Handrails are a very distinctive feature and, being white, the eye is drawn to them.

What do you use for soldering?  I have had to resort to an 80W iron for my latest effort.  My 50W soldering staion won't touch the kit I'm working on.

John

Hello John welcome back, l use a 60w soldering station but will replace it soon as it is getting old now, with the handrails the holes for them were way to big another problem with the kit, lots of work to rectify, the owner said he could live with slightly larger rails, as l have said the ploughs are the biggest problem, more head scratching needs to be done. Hahaha...    Ps what are you working on at present ?

DJ Parkins "Main Line Diesel Locomotive Fittings Set" includes a number of parts for snow ploughs, I don't know if they are near enough what you need to be adaptable?

See the brass etch sheet in the kit.

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=18234

I got it for other parts, I just remember seeing the plough components in the documentation that comes with it.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, georgeT said:

Hello John welcome back, l use a 60w soldering station but will replace it soon as it is getting old now, with the handrails the holes for them were way to big another problem with the kit, lots of work to rectify, the owner said he could live with slightly larger rails, as l have said the ploughs are the biggest problem, more head scratching needs to be done. Hahaha...    Ps what are you working on at present ?

Oh yes, this is a commission so final decision is up to the customer.

Thanks George, I'm a bit mystified as to the soldering iron performance because it worked well enough on previous kits.  It occurs to me that the bit is quite pointed and that maybe I should try a spade bit.

My current build:

Trying to juggle kit building with track building.  Track is the higher priority.

John

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Can you not buy ready made Ploughs, in possibly white metal or resin?

Unfortunately you cannot buy anything like that for a  (ZUV) SHARK wagon, if it was a mainline diesel you would have no problems...

1 hour ago, brossard said:

Oh yes, this is a commission so final decision is up to the customer.

Thanks George, I'm a bit mystified as to the soldering iron performance because it worked well enough on previous kits.  It occurs to me that the bit is quite pointed and that maybe I should try a spade bit.

My current build:

Trying to juggle kit building with track building.  Track is the higher priority.

John

Hi John, Soldering irons do not last that long in constant use as l have found out, l buy one almost yearly .

I found as well handrails too big but left them as they were. When we have made a ballast plough, cut brass sheet to an angle (one for each half) then rolled it round a dowel and filed to fit and soldered together. 

More help though is I’ve uploaded to Flickr is the rest of the Shark photos at various dates at Peak Rail 

Peak Railway

Michael 

53 minutes ago, mike hughes said:

I found as well handrails too big but left them as they were. When we have made a ballast plough, cut brass sheet to an angle (one for each half) then rolled it round a dowel and filed to fit and soldered together. 

More help though is I’ve uploaded to Flickr is the rest of the Shark photos at various dates at Peak Rail 

Peak Railway

Michael 

Thanks Buddy those photos are very helpful indeed, l think l have sussed it ? Hopefully...

• Thanks 1

Nearly finished the ZUV Shark, it took some time to complete the ploughs, l think they are as near as l can get them ?  she needs a really good scrub up then some etching primer, it will be finished in Railfreight  grey and yellow with Fox transfers...

DSC06552.JPG

DSC06553.JPG

DSC06554.JPG

DSC06555.JPG

DSC06556.JPG

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Morning Deano, Thanks mate they were hard work, in fack the whole kit was hard work from the start and NEVER will l touch those kits again, it would not be so bad if they were cheap, but they are not, my friend has a few more to build yet but defiantly not by me, wash and clean up next....

• Like 1