GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

Hi George,

Nice build. A question regarding the black primer. I have searched paintsrus website and can't find the product, have searched ebay for paintsrus and have searched ebay with black etch primer, black acid etch primer etc. Can you tell me precisely what to enter in the search to bring up this product?

B

I've just put in black etch primer and it took me straight to it.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Premium

With the tool-boxe's some loco's had two, and some only had one, another puzzle ????

On locos with one toolbox, it moved from side to side at various times, and its exact position on the tank top varied as well!

You cant beat finding a good dated photo and copying it. I've got quite a few, which number are you modelling?

Its looking very nice indeed George.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hello Dajt, l drive a bus for a living in Manchester, and after a day in the traffic believe me you are not in the mood for modelling, so l have changed my duties so that l do semi-late's, which mean's l start at 13;00 and finish about 21;30 everyday, so l get up about 07;00 have my breakfast, then get on with some modelling, about 4 hour's most morning's when l'm wide awake, l then have a shower and go to work.......

Edited by georgeT

Hello DLT, The 'B4' l am trying to build is 30089, l have a few picture's of her on shed at Guildford (l think), l have a few picture's of B4's and they are all different in some way or another, some B4's had two tool-boxes ?..............

Hello Peter / Andy, Actually there is a method in my madness, when ever l spray a steam loco l find it very hard to paint under the boiler without getting lot's of over-spray on the boiler, so if l paint it first it should be easier ?. that's the plan anyway ?

Just wanted to see how the primer looked on the boiler,

Hello George,

I think that I would have waited a bit longer, at least until I had the washout plugs, mud hole covers and a few more bits on.

But it's looking good. As I said in my thread I think that it will work as a top coat.

OzzyO.

Hello OzzzO, You are all spot on, yes l did jump the proverbial gun, trouble is that Laurie Griffin say's he can supply the chimney and dome, and various part's for the tender, but does not make the smoke-box door, so l thought here we go again, deja vu, like the problems l had with 'Fighter Pilot', so l thought then that maybe l would scrap it, but l have been told by many that the phospher strip l use for pick-up's, is also great for the boiler band's, so l went ahead a fitted them.

Great stuff as it is already bent toward's the boiler, and they went on fine, then l thought, as l was scrapping it, why not try a paint it to see what it looked like, there again it was good, so l am thinking that may be l will make the smoke-box door from brass and carry on with the build ?.

• Like 1

Hello George,

don't scrap its as I'm sure sure that someone does a 4F kit. Slater's? Alan Gibson? Wash out plugs from Warren Sheppard.

Have a look on your search engine, put in some thing like L.M.S. 4F kit in 7mm.

OzzyO.

Thank you very much OzzyO, l had a good search for part's for my 4F on the net, and bingo, Premier Component's can supply everything l need to complete my 4F, cheer's

The B4 has now had her cab painted, and l have made a start on her chassis, already made the coupling rod's,

post-7716-0-31828100-1336126079_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hello Peter, Yes l am pleased with the B4, and the way the cab turned out, think l will do the same for the rest of the fleet, also l have the driver / fireman on little plinth's so l can move them to loco to loco,

Now l have found all the bit's that l need for my Fowler 4F, l can carry on the with the build, so it won't take long to get the boiler back to brass, l just couldn't wait to see what the black primer finished like, so all the boxes have been ticked so off we go....

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Rob, We say thing's we don't mean at time's, yes l am glad l did not scrap her, l have had a lot of encouragement from yourself and other's that make it all worthwhile.

Just waiting for the chassis for the 4f, and the wheel's for the B4 and then l can proceed with the build's done a bit more to the cab interior on the 4f, kept stopping a video of a preserved 4f to get some idea what's in the cab..

post-7716-0-83560500-1338845726_thumb.jpg

Edited by georgeT
  • Like 5

Hello Peter, l am waiting for the wheel's (should be here soon), l have made the chassis, and part of the coupling rod's, with the 4f it's just that l have had the drawing's for age's, so l thought what the heck, l think it will look good on my (SR) depot layout (If l ever get the time to build it) ? .Regards

George

Hello Andy, Not a saint by any mean's, all it is, is that l like a challenge now and again, why buy it when you can make it, ok it takes a bit longer, (sometimes a lot longer) but it the end its the only one in the world, and you've built it, yes it may not be 100% spot on, but it looks good to me, and thats enough,

l look at many of your layout's, and lots of others and l think, gosh l wish l could make a layout like that, where you probably couldn't (or want to) build a loco from scratch, but then look at what else you can do, your weathering with a dry brush is superb, and now you have moved on up to an airbrush, who knows whats next ?, l could build the base board and pin down some track, but what next ?

OssyO, thank you for the information on a 4F, the drawings are spot on, thank you very much for your help.

Edited by georgeT