ModelRail USTC 0-6-0 Tank Loco Project USA

Andy Y

Finally got a chance to run it over Christmas , here it is straight out the box, really impressed with it ! Couldn't be bothered to dig out the warwells so it's on breakdown duty 

Video on link to tweet , sometimes it auto embeds sometimes it doesn't 

https://twitter.com/GreenGiraffe22/status/1343145313956196354?s=19

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The latest issue of Southern Way (53) has a photo feature showing five pictures of USA Tanks in storage at an unknown location.

(Some) USA Tanks. Before the Southern.

Two of these show locos U.S Army Transportation Corps livery and three in WD livery. All of the liveries have variations and no two are the same.

The locos are: 1968 and 1974 - US Army Transportation Corps.

And WD 1264, 1277 and 1279. The lettering style varies on each of these, so presumably they were each hand painted by a different person ?

1968 was the USA liveried one that Model Rail produced, but they have not produced one in British WD livery. Perhaps they might like to produce one of the three that are featured here.

It would also be nice if they could produce a model of DS 238 'Wainwright' the other Ashford Works shunter, to keep Maunsell company.

Maybe members can think of other liveries that the Model Rail USA has not been produced in yet ?

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Like 2

Not sure Model Rail are doing anymore of these, having moved on to other projects. Perhaps Dibber25 could maybe shed more light ? 

Depending on the terms of the contract with Bachmann, they may appear in Bachmanns own range in future as the GN Atlantics and Midland Compound did from the NRM exclusives, and the LMS twins from Rails .

• Agree 2

More than likely "that's yer lot" from MR.

Also worth considering it's the "oddball" liveries that have been the slow sellers. The plain BR and SR ones flew off the shelves and they added a couple more of those.

There was also the fact that some weren't possible due to too many differences. Maybe that was the case with the WD liveried versions.

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Tooling for umpteen different bunkers wouldn't be cost effective.

True but considering how popular BR Green and Black are tooling for the bunker used on 30073 + a few others in BR days might pay dividends.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

On 26/02/2021 at 17:31, GNR Dave said:

Not sure Model Rail are doing anymore of these, having moved on to other projects. Perhaps Dibber25 could maybe shed more light ? 

Depending on the terms of the contract with Bachmann, they may appear in Bachmanns own range in future as the GN Atlantics and Midland Compound did from the NRM exclusives, and the LMS twins from Rails .

Give it a couple of years and they will probably be released as an EFE model.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

What is the max current draw of the USA class?

I'm looking to get a 6-pin Chip. I see Lenz silver mini recommended earlier in this thread but am worried it is only 0.8amps

Have used Lenz Mini's successfully in several OO models hauling 8 coach trains without issue - I would think it would be fine in a USA in normal use - I'd install with confidence.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/02/2021 at 15:21, wainwright1 said:

Maybe members can think of other liveries that the Model Rail USA has not been produced in yet ?

On 27/02/2021 at 10:24, Wickham Green too said:

Tooling for umpteen different bunkers wouldn't be cost effective

I did enquire about variations in the early days as I was interested in the ones used at Longbridge in the 1950s but Chris said it was a no-go due to the variations. The locos came from three different builders, all but one of those, on the SR were from Vulcan Ironworks. 30061 was from F Porter. The Longbridge ones were from Davenport. Even though the two of those were very close in their works number there were detail differences between them. The closest is the NCB livery version which I will convert if EFE don't do tooling for the main Davenport differences in the next year.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I did enquire about variations in the early days as I was interested in the ones used at Longbridge in the 1950s but Chris said it was a no-go due to the variations. The locos came from three different builders, all but one of those, on the SR were from Vulcan Ironworks. 30061 was from F Porter. The Longbridge ones were from Davenport. Even though the two of those were very close in their works number there were detail differences between them. The closest is the NCB livery version which I will convert if EFE don't do tooling for the main Davenport differences in the next year.

I would expect the USA to appear in the main range (if this was part of the Model Rail agreement) rather than the EFE range, since it is produced by Kader, and indeed was released in Bachmann packaging!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

I would expect the USA to appear in the main range (if this was part of the Model Rail agreement) rather than the EFE range, since it is produced by Kader, and indeed was released in Bachmann packaging!

Agreed. They are beautiful models and run as well as they look. Easy to get inside as well. Very much Bachmann material. Incidentally, I installed Bachmann decoders because I thought that they deserved what they were presumably designed to work with.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Incidentally, I installed Bachmann decoders because I thought that they deserved what they were presumably designed to work with.

Have n’t got a USA but my experience is that Bachmann loco’s run better with higher end decoders (Lenz or Zimo) than with Bachmanns own branded. 

• Informative/Useful 2