Torbay Rd TMD

Guest Iain

Thread removed due to lack of interest

Thanks to the people who did bother to comment,but im not spending time posting pics and writing comments for no reason.But that is just the way RMWeb is these days,if your layout is not perfect it gets ignored by the 'Elite clique'

very neat, coming on well. I like that , a scottish modeller who doesn't fancy the WHL/Kyle/eastfield etc., but does Cornwall instead ! Is it only us English that are obsessed with trying to recreate Scottish railways ?!

Guest 40-something

very neat, coming on well. I like that , a scottish modeller who doesn't fancy the WHL/Kyle/eastfield etc., but does Cornwall instead ! Is it only us English that are obsessed with trying to recreate Scottish railways ?!

Im a scottish modeller, currently building a Glasgow based layout, but my next one which Im buying stock for is set in the South East, with 3rd rail EMU's!

Hi Iain,

Looking good there keep up the good work nice and simple track plan too, I might have been tempted to put a couple of siding in beside the tunnel mouth for wagon/loco storage. Will follow this with anticipation.

Bruce

• RMweb Premium

you should have paid more attention in your geography class as Paignton is in Devon not Cornwall unless they have moved it!

• 6 months later...

I will be following this thread with interest as I suffer from a similar syndrome, though I do leave it a couple of months before tearing track up and changing the era. I've got two layouts on the go at the moment ,both a sinmilar size to yours and to enable modern, heritage diesel and steam to run have been mulling over some sort of preservation theme. Since the middle of the year one was going to have a scottish theme, but in reality I decide on one thing, work on it a few months then decide to go off in another direction. This though looks an interesting project and I hope the photo's keep coming as there are some interesting elements (ie the buses) developing.

My next difficulty will be fitting in a couple of beyer garratts when they arrive, perhaps I should take up a different hobby!

Regards

Philip

I guess through the lack of comments (except Mark & Philip) this layout is not measuring up to the high standards of the experts of RMWeb

Not necessarily, a lot of people look but don't necessarily comment - you've had 775 views (at present).

An observation of your posts tends to be that they are mainly "here are some pictures" rather than "what do you think of...", "how do I ..." or "does anyone know where I can get...", all three types of question often generate a number of responses in discussion. In response to "here are some pictures" the only real answer is "very nice" or "will follow with interest" as people are often too polite to say otherwise unless directly asked :)

I can identify with the "rip it up and start again" syndrome, in fact you've got much further than I have with most of my plans because I usually flit over to the next idea before the first piece of track is laid - most of my work is done on paper or XTrackCAD messing about with complex junctions and suchlike trying to see what I can do with "off the shelf" trackwork.

You've already pointed out the 'eras' are a bit mixed but that doesn't really matter, it's your layout and as long as you have fun with it, that's the main thing isn't it? It's all learning curves and I'm sure you've learnt some things to do better - or not do at all - for the next project, which is something we've all done at some point in our lives.

You are of course right that there are some very high standard layouts on here but we all have our own interests. Some small finescale steam era layouts where most things are handbuilt would probably hold less interest to me than some massive modern image layout that uses a multitude of "off the shelf" items - because my interests are more in modern image. I wouldn't ignore one over the other as there are most likely some things we can all learn from anywhere between a "Trackmat" layout on a 6x4 board through to a loft full of handbuilt stuff if we put our minds to it and really look.

Nothing not to like about your layout really - well laid out, lots going on, good effect with the photo backscene and retaining wall, the only comment probably would be that in real life tracks are rarely that straight but as you're using set trackwork its a compromise to live with. It's what I call an "achieveable" layout which anyone can aspire to making something along the lines of; projects like Birmingham New Street and Peterborough are very nice layouts which I can enjoy as much as anyone, but as the skill level required for such a project far outweights mine (plus time, and space, and cash...) a reproduction of is something only likely to live in XTrackCAD for the forseeable future.

Not quite sure why the OP pulled this topic, as now there is nothing here to discuss except the navel-gazing, chin-scratching philosophical aspects and attitudes towards modelling. We're great at that too, in Wheeltappers, but in this part of the site layouts - of all achievement levels - happily coexist, each with their own contented band of followers.

Don't withdraw in a fit of pique, I think it's a disproportionate reaction. Stick around and be part of the banter. For heaven's sake the thread was dormant for six months!

Dont know why the original poster has complained about a lack of comment when his thread hasnt been updated since April. I assume most people come on and look at the most recent posts for updates. I try to come on daily or every other day so normally only go through the first 5 pages. If your on page 100 or whatever it is then its highly unlikely that it will be stumbled across now. The interaction also works two ways. The initial post was put up on 17th April with 4 or 5 replies within the next 24 hour period. If no updates are forthcoming then the rest of us posters cant add any further comments.

Thread removed due to lack of interest

Thanks to the people who did bother to comment,but im not spending time posting pics and writing comments for no reason.But that is just the way RMWeb is these days,if your layout is not perfect it gets ignored by the 'Elite clique'

I have been a member for 18 months and as you can see my post count is very low. I. for one, am very happy to come on here and just read, I do not feel the need to validate other people's work for them with continual praise.

The OP sent a request to have his account deleted despite there being reasonable and supportive comments from members.

It's up to him what he does of course but once again a misconception about cliques and elites is touted.

Hi Andy

May I ask out of curiosity why this project was deleted.

I have only just come across this thread and not seen the layout in any way.

Also I don't agree with the elites comments, I have always found my fellow members to be very helpful and courteous when ever I have been in need of help or information.

Regards

David

Archived