When the real thing looks like a model

Lovely pic WS ;)

I took this shot of Western Courier a while back and it's always struck me as being slightly unreal in a way, take away the two crew members and the exhaust smoke and it could almost be a model...

post-7638-0-85344600-1334738908_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

I remember a few yonks back seeing a photo in Steam mag, it showed a 14xx on a preseved line. the angle of the camera, high and looking down, and the lighting did make it look very toy-like. The caption even remarked on it.

Coincidentally I was thinking about this subject yesterday - walking the stretch of the South West Coast Path between Teignmouth and Dawlish, looking down on the mouth of one of the shorter tunnels, I commented that it felt like we had stepped into a cliche-filled model railway from the 70s or 80s.

• RMweb Premium

Last month Michael Delamar posted a picture of the real thing that (to me) looked just like a model. I think the give away was the background which was just a bit too realistic to be photoshopped in. On the 16 ton minterals thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/36891-16t-minerals/page__st__375

first picture on post 377.

Adrian

Last month Michael Delamar posted a picture of the real thing that (to me) looked just like a model. I think the give away was the background which was just a bit too realistic to be photoshopped in. On the 16 ton minerals thread

first picture on post 377.

Never mind the background, I've never seen model wagons with the brakes pinned down.

Keith

Guest Natalie Graham

Railway Modeller once had a brilliant shot of a railwayman stood in classic model railway figure pose with his legs slightly apart and one arm raised in a waving posture. He was also stood on a concrete paving slab which looked just like the moulded plastic base.

I can't find a picture, but I see it every day and every day I think it looks just like a model...

On the East Coastway line, heading out of Glynde towards Lewes, if you look out of the window before you get to the Beddingham bridge, there is low-lying land near the river Ouse. Most of it is very green and very short grass - but there are then loads of clumps, which look just like randomly applied clumps of Silflor. Sometimes there are cows too which just enhances the effect further.

• Like 1