When the real thing looks like a model

18 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

When your train is made up of what you could find in the bargain bin of your local model shop....

Kyle 1980 by Mike Futty

Kyle train, 1980

With the glazing replaced and some super-detailing, those Lima mk2s really do spruce up quite nicely.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Cunningham Loco & Machine Works said:

Nice ballasting and scenicking on that diorama; you can't hardly spot the edge beyond the fence. But did they have to spoil it with that pristine grounded van?

A banana van no less.

• Agree 1

On 19/09/2021 at 14:56, Cunningham Loco & Machine Works said:

that pristine grounded van

Ah, but the preservation boys love a bit of pristine. No weathering and grime for them, except for the wrecks that they have yet to restore.  It should always look like it just arrived from Swindon (or whichever works suits your preferences...). No rust, no rot, no faded paint. Welcome to preservation land.

I've been watching the GWSR volunteers beavering on the newly constructed footbridge at Broadway station. The care and attention to detail is awe inspiring - and the number of coats of paint applied almost beggars belief. They are defying weather and rot to spoil their new creation.

Yours,  Mike.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Why is there a class 66 body just lying around?

Its the original Eddie Stobart liveried one that came to grief at Carrbridge on its first run out (IIRC) when the brakes froze. It was pulled apart to retrieve it from amongst the trees at the crash site, and spent quite a while at Toton, where I think it got painted like that. I guess Stobart wouldn't want the name left on a bent and twisted loco, not a good advertisment....

A similar thing happened to a GBRF loco in Scotland due to a landslip, but that one was cut up on site, with the engine and number now being reused.

• Informative/Useful 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 25/09/2021 at 21:46, Davexoc said:

Its the original Eddie Stobart liveried one that came to grief at Carrbridge on its first run out (IIRC) when the brakes froze. It was pulled apart to retrieve it from amongst the trees at the crash site, and spent quite a while at Toton, where I think it got painted like that. I guess Stobart wouldn't want the name left on a bent and twisted loco, not a good advertisment....

A similar thing happened to a GBRF loco in Scotland due to a landslip, but that one was cut up on site, with the engine and number now being reused.

66048 'James the Engine' - Carrbridge

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ramrig said:

193755310_MeldonViaductSept2021.jpg.3b21240eaacf818c22bdecb08c07dcf3.jpg

Good use of Plastruct/Evergreen to construct the viaduct.

Nicely painted and weathered

Good use of Woodland Scenic's in the foreground.

Well blended Backscene

Meldon Viaduct 29/09/2021. 

Now where is my Hornby West Country ..........

That's brilliant! Can't tell if it's 2mm or 4mm scale ;) (would need a lot of space for 7mm, but - Heaton Lodge....)

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 17/09/2021 at 10:38, Rugd1022 said:

Laira, 1991....

645103730_D10XXLAOPENDAYHUGHSEARLE.jpg.e1ed24aaba6d7a83cecc4f73da2be404.jpg

Let's see now...

It can't be Lima 1980, because the fans are correctly off-centre - no matter how good Shawplan etches are!! Also can't be Hornby for very obvious reasons!!!

It can't be Heljan in OO or O - in OO no one fitted the brake gear if they wanted their Western to turn corners, and in O the headcode boxes are a smidge too low - although AFAIK some modellers have corrected this.

Nothing in N gauge is THAT good, so.... must be Dapol OO, possibly with Shawplan etches.... ;)

Dons tin hat & waits to be informed of everything wrong with the Dapol Wessie (as I never read the rather long Thread about it on RMweb).... :tomato:

• Like 4
  • Funny 1