Modelling Spam Cans (Bulleid Pacifics)

roundhouse

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Over the last few days I have been servicing my fleet of light pacifics. Theres over 40 of them inlcuding many rebuilt ones so tis quite a task.

I am now over half way and so far just one with a split gear, this time on the main driving axle so replacemtn on its way to me. In the past I have had a few rebuilts with split idling gears so have a stock of these just in case.

The biggest issue with these locos is the pickups on the loco body need a good clean and adjustment, some are Ok but others can take some time to get these right. The tender pickups are often not touching the back of the wheels even from new but these are an easy fix.

I have also found a few unrebuilts that I had not changed the ashpan from the part plastic fitted to body and part cast fitted to the pony truck. So, this morning 34030 'Watersmeet' has had this conversion using the RT models (ex Albert Goodall) white metal ashpans. Its a fairly straightforward conversion but just have to make sure there is enough clearance for the pony truck.

post-1557-0-80656700-1548675768_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-08291200-1548675784_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-53949400-1548675816_thumb.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

Brilliant thread, but I still have a question.....

Which of the 'Originals' ran with Short Smoke Deflectors,    did any of these carry the short smoke deflectors with BR Livery ?

Many thanks

For information I believe two Manufacturers will shortly be offering the Extended Smoke deflectors that Bude ran with ...

• RMweb Gold
On 17/04/2019 at 16:43, Staffordshire said:

Brilliant thread, but I still have a question.....

Which of the 'Originals' ran with Short Smoke Deflectors,    did any of these carry the short smoke deflectors with BR Livery ?

Many thanks

For information I believe two Manufacturers will shortly be offering the Extended Smoke deflectors that Bude ran with ...

What was to become the standard length smoke deflector first appeared in January 1947 and all new builds from 21C162 were then so fitted. All short deflectors were modified by early 1948 usually by a simple bolted on extension with  often an obvious  joint seam. I certainly believe all were so fitted before any gained brunswick.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/04/2019 at 16:55, Staffordshire said:

Added this to an excellent topic,  the Spam Can with no smoke deflectors ....

Merchant Navy and Anti Aircraft Command.jpg

34049 with the experimental front end is most interesting. I have been informed that it was a 'keyhole shaped' opening in front of the chimney, but have never seen clearly what else was going on around the chimney. What did you use as reference for this model?

Glenn

• 2 months later...

Wow, some cracking looking trains on this thread. I love WCCs.

I have Swanage on order from Golden Age Models, saying that its been on order for a year with probably a while to go yet.

Is it rude to re post this picture of mine? Hornby Combe Martin and Blandford Forum

IMG_2818.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

34100 'Appledore' is my latest one. Just completed the weathering and added real coal to the tender. It has also been fitted with Kadee Couplii

20190802_082806.jpg

Surely something could be done so that firemen on this loco don't need to be pole-vault champions?

(In fact - I know it can; it involves drilling a hole in the tender coupling bar).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Surely something could be done so that firemen on this loco don't need to be pole-vault champions?

(In fact - I know it can; it involves drilling a hole in the tender coupling bar).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Its on the list of 'to do' items but I suspect that the box will require  modification to get them back in.

2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Its on the list of 'to do' items but I suspect that the box will require  modification to get them back in.

If you can replace the screw with a length of studding, it should be easy to uncouple the tender when putting it back in the box.

Regards,

John Isherwood

On more recent models (with the Satan plug) it is fairly easy to replace the bar coupling with brass strip or similar with holes spaced to suit your layout. On the older models it is more difficult as you need to retain the complex coupling to retain the pickup connection to the tender. I drill a new hole and reinforce with a washer soldered the required distance, but it is a bit of a fudge; this narrows the distance between loco and tender to about 8mm, sufficient to cope with curves down to about 2'6". This enables the tender footplate to overlap the back of the loco footplate and the fitting of a representation of the loco/tender flexible cover which I think also enhances the close coupling impression. It must have been Sunday when I took this picture.....

DSCF0182a.JPG.f5fcc88ba2b4d3c1bd09ebad7aeaea72.JPG

This is one of my MN's showing the arrangement, also a Series 1 tender.

Tony 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The latest Bulleid light Pacific on the workbench. This started off as a second hand Winston Churchill and has RT models ashpans and drain off pipes added. I just need to find a spare tender step.

Nameplates are from Fox. Chassis weathering has commenced with the body and tender next

20190809_152745.jpg

• Like 5

My own method of shortening the loco/ tender gap on Hornby locos which preceded the "satan's plug" is similar to 145 Squadron's.

To retain the tender pick-ups I keep the coupling attachment on the loco as is. After removing the tender body from the chassis, I grind the top of the brass pin so as to release the tag with wire, and then pull out the brass pin from the tender front. If you then drill a hole behind the one leftbehind, so that they just touch, you can then fill the original hole with a bit of plastic rod, and use your new hole for the brass plug. This shortens the loco/ tender distance by around 2mm, which will still go round 27'' curves.

The effect is much improved, and the tender fallplate and loco cab floor should just overlap.

John.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I've just bought a s/h 34067 Tangmere, not knowing that there were different cab widths, D'oh.

Does anyone here know if there are any etched replacement cabs available for the wide version, or perhaps a long shot, does anyone have a body to swap?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

I've just bought a s/h 34067 Tangmere, not knowing that there were different cab widths, D'oh.

Does anyone here know if there are any etched replacement cabs available for the wide version, or perhaps a long shot, does anyone have a body to swap?

Thanks.

If you are looking for the original Southern Railway "square" cab which many WC/BB's ran with up until the early 1950's, the only source is RT Models who are supposed to debut their new etchings for the square cab and original smoke deflectors at the next Scale Forum. See this link. Anyway, RT Models makes most of the original Albert Goodall add on parts for the WC/BB Hornby locomotives.  The V shape cab was not introduced until 1947 so there would be a small window for a few locomotives with the current Hornby WC/BB cab and Southern livery Bulleid coaches.  I will be purchasing the RT cab and smoke deflector but would rather Hornby released a square cab version of the WC/BB as they did with the recent Merchant Navy.  Or someone make a 3 D print replacement cab. 

1 hour ago, autocoach said:

If you are looking for the original Southern Railway "square" cab which many WC/BB's ran with up until the early 1950's, the only source is RT Models who are supposed to debut their new etchings for the square cab and original smoke deflectors at the next Scale Forum. See this link. Anyway, RT Models makes most of the original Albert Goodall add on parts for the WC/BB Hornby locomotives.  The V shape cab was not introduced until 1947 so there would be a small window for a few locomotives with the current Hornby WC/BB cab and Southern livery Bulleid coaches.  I will be purchasing the RT cab and smoke deflector but would rather Hornby released a square cab version of the WC/BB as they did with the recent Merchant Navy.  Or someone make a 3 D print replacement cab. 

I seem to recall that when Hornby first announced the BoB/WC models they had one version in the catalogue that had the original square 2-window cab (was it Sidmouth?), saying they had the ability to produce all of these variants. However, they changed that early on and removed or replaced that one with a different model with the V-cab. Nothing more has ever been heard of this variant coming from Hornby.

Thanks both.

I'm fairly new to this Bulleid maze.

Maybe if I ask a different question, what would in have to do to the model I have to represent 34102 Lapford?

I might've mistakenly simplified it to just having the wider cab sides?

Thanks.

34071 onwards all had the wider (9') cabs. Tender and smoke deflector differences are a modeller's nightmare.

34102 entered service in March 1950, and seems to have kept the one tender throughout. though (tender 3362). She was withdrawn 09/07/1967 and cut up in 1968. The tender was modified somewhere between May and July 1961.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Thanks.

Hornby's models are correct for 34067 as running in the 1950s/60s. There are two different ones, the first release [R.2221], with high-sided tender and early emblem and one from a train pack [R.2308M] with cut-down tender and the later totem.

The wider cabs started from 34071 as-built. I take it you want to model Tangmere as she is today, so want the 9' cab that was fitted to the loco some time after leaving BR ownership. A better Hornby starting point is therefore 34083, 605 Squadron [R.2388], or (easier to find) 34081 92 Squadron [R.2220] though the latter is in malachite and will need repainting.

However, there is rather more to creating a contemporary Tangmere than the cab! 

34067 nowadays runs with what started off as a 6000 gallon MN tender (hence the need for the wider cab), which has been heavily reconstructed to resemble a cut-down 5500 gallon light pacific tender, apart from the increased length. This has been done so well that many people aren't aware of it.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I take it you want to model Tangmere as she is today, so want the 9' cab that was fitted to the loco some time after leaving BR ownership.

John

Hi John,

The current 9' cab mounted upon 34067 Tangmere was made for Riley and Son's of Bury by a now defunct company also from Bury known as Metalcraft while the locomotive was being restored to working order at Riley's works at the ELR's Buckley Wells site on behalf of Brian Pickett and John Bunch. Incidentally, I fabricated all of the support bracketry for the cab from Romanian 6mm sheet steel supplied by K-Steels of Rossendale, the angles and flats used were by Chorus and of British manufacture.

I did all sorts of other jobs during its restoration and was the first to drive the locomotive since its return to steam after being disposed of for scrap after its BR service.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 04/08/2019 at 10:32, 145 Squadron said:

On more recent models (with the Satan plug) it is fairly easy to replace the bar coupling with brass strip or similar with holes spaced to suit your layout. On the older models it is more difficult as you need to retain the complex coupling to retain the pickup connection to the tender. I drill a new hole and reinforce with a washer soldered the required distance, but it is a bit of a fudge; this narrows the distance between loco and tender to about 8mm, sufficient to cope with curves down to about 2'6". This enables the tender footplate to overlap the back of the loco footplate and the fitting of a representation of the loco/tender flexible cover which I think also enhances the close coupling impression. It must have been Sunday when I took this picture.....

DSCF0182a.JPG.f5fcc88ba2b4d3c1bd09ebad7aeaea72.JPG

This is one of my MN's showing the arrangement, also a Series 1 tender.

Tony 

That looks to me like it would be OK on 2ft radius.  I have an old Triang Winston Churchill with a closer coupled tender than that which copes with 2ft radius Peco points, and has scraped round 2nd radius in its time.